1,000 minority girls forced in marriage every year in Pakistan

Blackwater

WASHINGTON: An estimated one thousand Christian and Hindu women are forced to convert and marry Muslim men in Pakistan every year, says a report released on Monday.

According to a report by the Movement for Solidarity and Peace in Pakistan, up to 700 of these women are Christian and 300 are Hindu.

"The true scale of the problem is likely to be much greater, as a number of cases are never reported or do not progress through the law-enforcement and legal systems," the authors claim.

The MSP also issued an appeal for action along with this investigative report detailing forced marriages and conversions of Christian girls and women in Pakistan.

The Christian community in Pakistan is over two million in size, accounts for 42 per cent of Pakistan's minority population, and is mostly resident in Punjab.

MSP's investigations find that cases of forced marriages/conversions follow a distinctive pattern: Christian girls — usually between the ages of 12 and 25 — are abducted, converted to Islam, and married to the abductor or third party.

The victim's family usually files a First Information Report for abduction or rape with the local police station. The abductor, on behalf of the victim girl, files a counter FIR, accusing the Christian family of harassing the willfully converted and married girl, and for conspiring to convert the girl back to Christianity.

Upon production in the courts or before the magistrate, the victim girl is asked to testify whether she converted and married of her own free will or if she was abducted.

In most cases, the girl remains in custody of the abductor while judicial proceedings are carried out.

Upon the girl's pronouncement that she willfully converted and consented to the marriage, the case is settled without relief for the family. Once in the custody of the abductor, the victim girl may be subjected to sexual violence, rape, forced prostitution, human trafficking and sale, or other domestic abuse.

These patterns of violence and miscarriages of justice are explored in the report through an examination of 10 illustrative cases.

The report also describes the historical and social context of the problem, and the particular grievances of Pakistan's Christian community in relation to the existing legal, political, and procedural guarantees for the protection of human rights of Pakistan's religious minorities. The report also highlights the patterns of violence through which the law and social attitudes become complicit in providing immunity for perpetrators, and the complex nature of associated crimes that make it difficult to categorise this crime as specific to religious identity. The report concludes with detailed recommendations at various levels — national, provincial, and local — for key stakeholders.

MSP is mobilising an inclusive coalition to raise awareness on this issue. MSP will host outreach events in the coming weeks in Pakistan (in collaboration with the National Commission of Justice and Peace in Pakistan) and around the world.

1,000 minority girls forced in marriage every year: report - DAWN.COM

BangersAndMash

"You are free; you are free to go to your temples. You are free to go to your mosques or to any other places of worship in this State of Pakistan. You may belong to any religion, caste or creed—that has nothing to do with the business of the State."

"• Muhammad Ali Jinnah.

LIAR

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
@Peter

The Minority in a Muslim Majority state.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackwater

"You are free; you are free to go to your temples. You are free to go to your mosques or to any other places of worship in this State of Pakistan. You may belong to any religion, caste or creed—that has nothing to do with the business of the State."

"• Muhammad Ali Jinnah.

LIAR

jinaah must be laughing on himself:p:p

Blackwater

@Neo wats ur take on this

or this topic is also seems useless to you

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
@Peter

The Minority in a Muslim Majority state.
Look jackprince Sir, I am not saying that all Muslims are peaceful.I have already stated that I dislike people who turn violent and engage in jihad(like those Paksitanis).However there are Muslims who have good qualities too like Kabi Nazrul,Abdul Kalam,M.Yunus etc.I respect such people.Even R.Tagore`s ancestors had been once forcefully converted to Muslims by the Nawab(Pirali Brahmins).Generally Bengali Muslims were not jihadis and violent.However now things are changing,I admit this fact.As for Muslim majority state,neither me nor you can do anything about it.The BD border is not guarded intentionally by government forces so the migrants can come here and become a vote bank.Our only hope is to ensure they do not become jihadis and follow the secular ideals of India.

Also I condemn this acts by Pakistani people.However given their nature they will continue to do such things till they are destroyed by USA.

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Look Sir, I am not saying that all Muslims are peaceful.I have already stated that I dislike people who turn violent and engage in jihad(like those Paksitanis).However there are Muslims who have good qualities too like Kabi Nazrul,Abdul Kalam,M.Yunus etc.I respect such people.Even R.Tagore`s ancestors had been once forcefully converted to Muslims by the Nawab(Pirali Brahmins).Generally Bengali Muslims were not jihadis and violent.However now things are changing,I admit this fact.As for Muslim majority state,neither me nor you can do anything about it.The BD border is not guarded intentionally by government forces so the migrants can come here and become a vote bank.Our only hope is to ensure they do not become jihadis and follow the secular ideals of India.
Once again same worn out arguments of " sufi and liberal minded" Bengali muslims. It was Bengal were seeds of Pakistan ( in modern times as real seeds were sown by Qasim and Ghazanavi) were sown, watered and nurtured as a big tree. The worst killings of communal nature before partition took place in Bengal( Noakhali and Calcutta in 1946). Yet I hear Indian diplomats saying things like "Bengali Islam" is not as intolerant as" Islam distorted by saudis for cold war". Hindu capacity for self deception is of titanic proportions.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Once again same worn out arguments of " sufi and liberal minded" Bengali muslims. It was Bengal were seeds of Pakistan ( in modern times as real seeds were sown by Qasim and Ghazanavi) were sown, watered and nurtured as a big tree. The worst killings of communal nature before partition took place in Bengal( Noakhali and Calcutta in 1946). Yet I hear Indian diplomats saying things like "Bengali Islam" is not as intolerant as" Islam distorted by saudis for cold war". Hindu capacity for self deception is of titanic proportions.
Look mate.The problem you are talking or the problem which according to you is the root cause of all problems.-Bangladeshi immigration cannot be solved by me or you.Do you think I go the border areas and put a sign for Bangladeshi immigrants to come here?I have once said even my family had to face problems from Muslims.In the English language debate on this forum I had told you that one of my grandfather`s uncles(well great grandfather`s brother exactly) had got killed during partition(check that post.Again I am not 100% sure the muslims killed him as nobody was there during his death.) Despite all this I still believe India should remain secular.If India becomes bigoted like this Pakistan then what is the difference between us and them.

Last edited:

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Look mate.The problem you are talking or the problem which according to you is the root cause of all problems.-Bangladeshi immigration cannot be solved by me or you.Do you think I go the border areas and put a sign for Bangladeshi immigrants to come here?I have once said even my family had to face problems from Muslims.In the English language debate on this forum I had told you that one of my uncles had got killed during partition(check that post.Again I am not 100% sure the muslims killed him as nobody was there during his death.) Despite all this I still believe India should remain secular.If India becomes bigoted like this Pakistan then what is the difference between us and them.
You did not get my point. Islam is an Abrahmic religion and Abrahmic religions are made to ruthlessly destroy other religions. The problem is nature of religion, not immigrants. Why Hindu dominated Jammu is quiet but Muslim dominated Kashmir so separatist? Are Hindus of Jammu richer than Muslims of valley? Sometimes, economics is not that important.

I am really sorry for your losses but this is what troubles me even further. The victims acting as apologists ensure that cycle runs as always.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
You did not get my point. Islam is an Abrahmic religion and Abrahmic religions are made to ruthlessly destroy other religions. The problem is nature of religion, not immigrants. Why Hindu dominated Jammu is quiet but Muslim dominated Kashmir so separatist? Are Hindus of Jammu richer than Muslims of valley? Sometimes, economics is not that important.

I am really sorry for your losses but this is what troubles me even further. The victims acting as apologists ensure that cycle runs as always.
What is your solution?Riots or ethnic cleansing of Muslims.Do you think that such a solution is pliable in 21st century?

My solution is the education of Muslims lads.To make sure they are integrated into Indian society.They learn the ideals of secular India and do not get converted into jihad-is by radical mullahs who preach in madrasas.What solution is better than this?If we become hostile towards them they will only respond with jihad against us and have a do or die approach.Most of them will turn to terrorism.As for border control India should erect fences like Israel has done in Palestine.I think that India`s problem is people or politicians only talk too much and do no work.We have to find a practical solution to ensure that India does not become another Pakistan.
Also Hindu girls are being married(not forcibly) by Muslims here too.After marriage they change their religion.Even Hindu men do so.Kabir Suman( a Trinamul Mp) is an example.What is your take on this?Its their personal matter and how can we say something against that?

Last edited:

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Look jackprince Sir, I am not saying that all Muslims are peaceful.I have already stated that I dislike people who turn violent and engage in jihad(like those Paksitanis).However there are Muslims who have good qualities too like Kabi Nazrul,Abdul Kalam,M.Yunus etc.I respect such people.Even R.Tagore`s ancestors had been once forcefully converted to Muslims by the Nawab(Pirali Brahmins).Generally Bengali Muslims were not jihadis and violent.However now things are changing,I admit this fact.As for Muslim majority state,neither me nor you can do anything about it.The BD border is not guarded intentionally by government forces so the migrants can come here and become a vote bank.Our only hope is to ensure they do not become jihadis and follow the secular ideals of India.

Also I condemn this acts by Pakistani people.However given their nature they will continue to do such things till they are destroyed by USA.

Peter, I am sorry for last nights out-burst. It was uncouth of me, though you have to understand that 'I don't give a damn' doesn't mean damning anybody but an expression in English language which means simply ' I do not care at all'.

However, you are forgetting a very important point and that is those named by you have not been indoctrinated under teaching of Madrassa which is prevalent in Muslim majority areas in WB. Further, despite having a good no. of freeminded Muslim intellectuals in BD in time of partition or in '70s or later on, the persecution of Hindus or Buddhists or Christians - whoever are minorities - continued with little or no. check by the BD govt. The only thing differed was in intensity. The cities do not reflect what actually goes on in villages. The people like Kavi Najrul are already in short supply in BD, who openly defied Islam and survived. When I admit the Bengali culture has been able to prevent the spread of militant Islam in BD, but it is getting intensified gradually and spilling over to WB.

My contention is nothing but that when Muslim (the educated class at least) generally adopt and accept other cultures to an extent when they are in minority, they become totally different when they get into majority trying to impose their culture on others! It has been happening every where in the world.

The infiltration would go on until people raise voice and shake the current status quo of the political parties, forcing them to put measures checking against these growing danger. The problem is that most bengali intellectuals choose to ignore it in the name of secular ideas, but the danger is 'present and clear' enough. No wonder, you also think of in those lines as the prime source of anybody's first step to learning starts from their environments and then the world view comes from the media - the media which has taken to silence regarding this danger for a fear of being marked ;Communal'.

Look mate.The problem you are talking or the problem which according to you is the root cause of all problems.-Bangladeshi immigration cannot be solved by me or you.Do you think I go the border areas and put a sign for Bangladeshi immigrants to come here?I have once said even my family had to face problems from Muslims.In the English language debate on this forum I had told you that one of my uncles had got killed during partition(check that post.Again I am not 100% sure the muslims killed him as nobody was there during his death.) Despite all this I still believe India should remain secular.If India becomes bigoted like this Pakistan then what is the difference between us and them.
India should remain secular. But what does secular mean? Does it mean that one group of people because of their no. be allowed to have different sort of rules? I don't think that conforms to the idea of secular. How unsecular could a nation go when they deprive a class of citizen (the muslim women) in the name of religion? Why don't the same intellectuals who cry against every thing Hindu, say a single thing agaist 'Muslim Personal Law'? Why does the proposal of UCC is tagged Communal? Isn't calling UCC communal oxymoron?

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Peter, I am sorry for last nights out-burst. It was uncouth of me, though you have to understand that 'I don't give a damn' doesn't mean damning anybody but an expression in English language which means simply ' I do not care at all'.

However, you are forgetting a very important point and that is those named by you have not been indoctrinated under teaching of Madrassa which is prevalent in Muslim majority areas in WB. Further, despite having a good no. of freeminded Muslim intellectuals in BD in time of partition or in '70s or later on, the persecution of Hindus or Buddhists or Christians - whoever are minorities - continued with little or no. check by the BD govt. The only thing differed was in intensity. The cities do not reflect what actually goes on in villages. The people like Kavi Najrul are already in short supply in BD, who openly defied Islam and survived. When I admit the Bengali culture has been able to prevent the spread of militant Islam in BD, but it is getting intensified gradually and spilling over to WB.

My contention is nothing but that when Muslim (the educated class at least) generally adopt and accept other cultures to an extent when they are in minority, they become totally different when they get into majority trying to impose their culture on others! It has been happening every where in the world.

The infiltration would go on until people raise voice and shake the current status quo of the political parties, forcing them to put measures checking against these growing danger. The problem is that most bengali intellectuals choose to ignore it in the name of secular ideas, but the danger is 'present and clear' enough. No wonder, you also think of in those lines as the prime source of anybody's first step to learning starts from their environments and then the world view comes from the media - the media which has taken to silence regarding this danger for a fear of being marked ;Communal'.

India should remain secular. But what does secular mean? Does it mean that one group of people because of their no. be allowed to have different sort of rules? I don't think that conforms to the idea of secular. How unsecular could a nation go when they deprive a class of citizen (the muslim women) in the name of religion? Why don't the same intellectuals who cry against every thing Hindu, say a single thing agaist 'Muslim Personal Law'? Why does the proposal of UCC is tagged Communal? Isn't calling UCC communal oxymoron?
Yes,Sir I do agree with most of your points.Also it was not my uncle but great grandfather`s brother who died(I made a typing mistake)

I do support UCC.However some of our politicians will ensure it is never passed.India is a democracy.Ordinary citizens cannot do anything unless our leaders do so.Also current 2011 census will probably throw up a minority population of 25%.These is not a small figure in a nation of 1.2 billion+.Our voices will not be heard even if we support UCC.
Also minority girls are forced into marriage in not only Pakistan but BD also.What can be our response to this?Certainly we Hindus would never do the same.
Also in WB the Muslim population is probably 33% now(census report has not come out but last time it was 25.1%).With such skewed numbers even Hindus cannot raise their voices before political leaders of Bengal as not all of us Hindus will have the same opinion.There are also tribals and other people in Bengal who will feel that their rights will be encroached.As far as I see the only solution in reality is ask our great leaders to educate the Muslim youths and also adopt strict border control and family planning( IF the leaders listen to us that is and not engage in vote bank politics)

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Yes,Sir I do agree with most of your points.Also it was not my uncle but great grandfather`s brother who died(I made a typing mistake)

I do support UCC.However some of our politicians will ensure it is never passed.India is a democracy.Ordinary citizens cannot do anything unless our leaders do so.Also current 2011 census will probably throw up a minority population of 25%.These is not a small figure in a nation of 1.2 billion+.Our voices will not be heard even if we support UCC.
Also minority girls are forced into marriage in not only Pakistan but BD also.What can be our response to this?Certainly we Hindus would never do the same.
Also in WB the Muslim population is probably 33% now(census report has not come out but last time it was 25.1%).With such skewed numbers even Hindus cannot raise their voices before political leaders of Bengal as not all of us Hindus will have the same opinion.There are also tribals and other people in Bengal who will feel that their rights will be encroached.As far as I see the only solution in reality is ask our great leaders to educate the Muslim youths and also adopt strict border control and family planning( IF the leaders listen to us that is and not engage in vote bank politics)
Bengalis, Assamese(3rd time Congi rule?:confused:) and Keralite Hindus have nobody but themselves to blame for their shitty state. If they cant use democracy to their advantage when being in majority, then I dont understand how they will survive when in minority . They are screwed:thumb:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Bengalis, Assamese(3rd time Congi rule?:confused:) and Keralite Hindus have nobody but themselves to blame for their shitty state. If they cant use democracy to their advantage when being in majority, then I dont understand how they will survive when in minority . They are screwed:thumb:
Your location shows you are either from Tamil Nadu or Kerala.I think you probably know about caste,religious and other type of vote bank politics better than me.Really there are very few things an ordinary voter can do.To me what I have suggested in an earlier post(education) seems a good idea.

(Assam has 30% Muslims(probably higher now) and about 13% ST population.They prefer Congress.Its a democracy and you have to respect their choice be it Congress or whatever)

Last edited:

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned

"• Muhammad Ali Jinnah.

LIAR

Djinnah was a terrorist and an opportunist.

BangersAndMash

Djinnah was a terrorist and an opportunist.
He sure was, he hired terrorist thugs and sent them to Kashmir and started the Indo-Pak Kashmir conflict.

Also, he is not the "father of the nation", pakistan's baap is the British, the British created pakistan, they gave jinnah their blessings and jinnah being a self serving pr!ck, took the opportunity.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles