India's Air Defense System and its Capabilities

Shirman

Country flag
Before getting this into effect, We need to sort out about Long range SAM..

Afaik, Indian BMD is ready can be used against Aircraft as well, But not yet active..
Kunal Sir would't it be more appropriate if we assign only ballistic targets for a BMD program based missile n a long range missile 2 take care of incoming Hostile aerial targets such as cruise missiles n strike aircrafts searching for it.....

JBH22

Suppose we need to like completely seal the North East airspace.

What radars and how many of them we need?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
True, My view was based on 'what we have' ..

BMD System is capable of tracking and can kill Aircraft so does Missiles at all altitudes..

Kunal Sir would't it be more appropriate if we assign only ballistic targets for a BMD program based missile n a long range missile 2 take care of incoming Hostile aerial targets such as cruise missiles n strike aircrafts searching for it.....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

JBH22

Area of 255,511 km2 or about 7 percent of India's total area

My wishlist to cover the area of NE India, please feel free to correct any incoherence.

1. EL/M-2083 Aerostat Radar 500KM

2.S-300VM long range SAM

3.Akash SAM medium range SAM

4.SPYDER short range SAM

5.IGLA-S

Kindly add something if I missed or if its wrong please provide better analysis :)

JBH22

Under Wish list they are fine..
It is a WISH list because I don't know the real status and what do we need as hardware to effectively close the NE airspace.
My idea is something to detect anything that violate airspace that will be detected.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Isn't CIWS is useful for Short Range Fighters..or only useful for Incoming Rounds

JBH22

Area of 255,511 km2 or about 7 percent of India's total area

My wishlist to cover the area of NE India, please feel free to correct any incoherence.

1. EL/M-2083 Aerostat Radar 500KM

2.S-300VM long range SAM

3.Akash SAM medium range SAM

4.SPYDER short range SAM

5.IGLA-S

Kindly add something if I missed or if its wrong please provide better analysis :)
Continuing on this I would add the following

1-S-300 would provide cover against short range ballistic missiles and PGM the system is within budget last reported figures was USD120million for each army command.

2- Akash SAM with its coverage capacity of 2000km2 would be useful to provide cover for Division.

3- Tungushka and Shilkas,Spyder would be useful for regiments on the move especially strike corps against helicopters and UAV.

4- IGLA manpads would close any remaining gaps for battalion or company.

kshkumsin

1-S-300 would provide cover against short range ballistic missiles and PGM the system is within budget last reported figures was USD120million for each army command.

2- Akash SAM with its coverage capacity of 2000km2 would be useful to provide cover for Division.

3- Tungushka and Shilkas,Spyder would be useful for regiments on the move especially strike corps against helicopters and UAV.

4- IGLA manpads would close any remaining gaps for battalion or company.
plus IRON DOME for short range interception

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
My View : Based on Present

1). VSHORAD :- IGLA & SA-13

2). SR-SAMs : OSA-AK

3). MR-SAMS : Akash & SA-6

4). Long Range SAM : Indian BMD`S Inter-Atmosphere Interceptor
I see a bunch of Russian missiles there. You don't like any Western missile options?

JBH22

I see a bunch of Russian missiles there. You don't like any Western missile options?
France has nothing in the category of S-300,S-400 plus Russian system are cheap and give more or less same performance.

Russkies have potent SAM system.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What I feel that we need to Licensed Tunguska M1 inside India, merely 100 units are too less..

Having a Gun as well as Missle platform is better than just to have only one..

3- Tungushka and Shilkas,Spyder would be useful for regiments on the move especially strike corps against helicopters and UAV..

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
France has nothing in the category of S-300,S-400 plus Russian system are cheap and give more or less same performance.
Russkies have potent SAM system.
They have Aster-30, a versatile missile designed to intercept low-flying cruise missiles, aircraft's and limited anti-ballistic capability. Now with SAMPSON multi-function radar, in all PAAMS it becomes a world class system :hail:

JBH22

They have Aster-30, a versatile missile designed to intercept low-flying cruise missiles, aircraft's and limited anti-ballistic capability. Now with SAMPSON multi-function radar, in all PAAMS it becomes a world class system :hail:
Nothing comes close to S-300V in terms of price-capability rapport.
Also if am not mistaken French are not going to sell this to anyone its part of their strategic defence.

JBH22

What I feel that we need to Licensed Tunguska M1 inside India, merely 100 units are too less..

Having a Gun as well as Missle platform is better than just to have only one..
Air defense has been completely neglected time for big overhaul.

With the acquisition of SPYDER its a good start hopefully more will come don't know about BARAK 8 whether this can become army long range SAM.
As to Tungushka its already being supplemented by Pantsir-1 would be great to have such system :)

Another wet dream of mine

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
During my recent tour, I have visited Tunguska M1 over firing range, Its very ammo hungry system split fire like venom..

But it has some issues, Mainly with logistics, every spare is imported and running them all the time also cost alot..

It would be great if we make them in Country, Pantsir-1 is modern but huge..

==========================

Army is looking for :

QR/MR/SR Air - defense system both gun and Missiles when its QR/SR system..

As to Tungushka its already being supplemented by Pantsir-1 would be great to have such system :)

Another wet dream of mine

Global Defence

New threads

Articles