Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.4%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.8%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.2%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 60 17.6%

• Total voters

The Last Stand

Country flag
Using better propellant is an option, but the Indian tank gun does not seem to support as much pressure as other ones.
Buying or developing a smootbore gun is required for making the Arjun tank competitive.
@Kunal Biswas @sayareakd mention that chamber pressure of ARDE gun is more than 2A46 and L/44. :confused:

I want a smoothbore weapon too!

Last edited by a moderator:

methos

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas @sayareakd mention that chamber pressure of ARDE gun is more than 2A46 and L/44. :confused:

I want a smoothbore weapon too!
No, he made a mistake. I told him already in the Tank Guns and Ammunition topic. The DRDO website says the following:

This has enhanced the performance and fatigue life of the gun barrel. The gun barrel has been partially autofrettaged to a pressure of 800 MPa to achieve a proof pressure of the order of 612 MPa
Autofrettaging is a process, where the pressure inside the barrel is slowly increased to a very high value, in order to change the internal structure. The pressure used for autofrettaging on the Indian 120 mm rifled gun is 800 MPa (and only at some places!), but the proof pressure (the maximum pressure that can be applied without risking damaging the gun) is only 612 MPa.
On the German Rh 120 L/44 gun the autofrettaging is done with pressures "up to 1,000 MPa". This leads to a proof pressure of 710 MPa.
The gun barrel of the L/55 is autofrettaged two times, with the pressure used during the second stage being even more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

These are not storage bins but simpe ammo rack with completely exposed ammunition.

Damian

Only because something is similiar, does not means it is the same thing.

Damian

Not entirely, Indians like to call them bins, but in fact these are also simple ammo racks. Bins are closed with a solid cap, Arjun Mk1 use such bins for hull storage, but not for turret storage. So Arjun Mk1 use both bins and simple ammo rack.

Arjun Mk2 is of course something of a different story, if we can believe some informations, it would have isolated turret ammo compartment, which is good improvement.

The Last Stand

Country flag
but it looks very similar to the arjun ammo storage bin
and the indians member call this as ammo storage bins

Some people call it that, but that is not ammo storage, it is ready rack on the turret to be used for loader's convenience. He must reload this ready rack from ammunition bins in the hull in Arjun MK-1, MK-II will have isolated ammunition bins.

militarysta

Did you read my troll posts there? How accurate are my posts? I seem to dominate there :dude:

Most of them know much lesser than me :shocked:

Thanks.

Troll or not troll :)
I will not judge or note yours post there - just lern, read sources about tanks and others weapons. I'm colecting books, articles, maunals and others from more then decade. And Im still learnig -it's long and never ending process :) You must just like this and have some time.
And in reality there is no so many persons on tank comunity whos writing posts and basing on sources. There are the same nicks in Russia, Ukraina, USA, GB, here, in Poland, etc. IMHO just less then 100 the same nick. And poepels who know the best don't write on forums.

The Last Stand

Country flag
Troll or not troll :)
I will not judge or note yours post there - just lern, read sources about tanks and others weapons. I'm colecting books, articles, maunals and others from more then decade. And Im still learnig -it's long and never ending process :) You must just like this and have some time.
Reading is never ending process like you say. Thanks for taking an effort. :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles