Time's person of the year: Winner is not surprising, but runner up is

Kishore032

Pope Francis has been voted by Times magazine as the person of the year. And Edward Snowden was the runner up.

I'd say this is not a bad choice given the global reach of the Catholic church, a Pope from outside Europe, and Pope Francis's approach to the papacy so far.

But Edward Snowden as runner-up is both interesting and surprising. Snowdon did create a lot of media frenzy and continues to. But more than that, he helped raise serious concerns - both within the US and internationally - about US's spying gone out of control.

If *I* had to choose BETWEEN THESE TWO, I'd have voted Snowden ahead of Pope Francis if one sticks to the spirit of the person of the "year". Snowden has actually had impact this year, whereas Pope Francis represents a promise of impact in the future.

What do others think?

http://specials-images.forbesimg.com/imageserve/48fb528a8f76635add385ecfe4c35981/0x600.jpg

Kishore032

Times person of the year: Pope Francis, followed by Snowden

Time magazine declares Pope Francis the person of the year.

Given the Catholic church's global reach, a new Pope from outside Europe and his fresh approach to papacy - all make him a pretty good candidate.

I am intrigued about Snowden. First of all, I would not have thought that he was in the running.

But if I had to choose between these two and stay within the spirit of the person of the "year", I may actually vote for Snowden for exposing US spying gone so out of control that the personal communication of world leaders - including US allies - are being tapped.

What do you think?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles