Shinzo Abe reveals plans to lift Japan's ban on fighting in conflicts

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Shinzo Abe reveals plans to lift Japan's ban on fighting in conflicts overseas

Japan's prime minister calls for review of way country interprets its pacifist constitution – a move likely to raise tension with China

Japan's prime minister, Shinzo Abe, has announced plans to lift the country's ban on fighting in conflicts overseas, a move certain to raise tensions with China and anger voters at home. He called for a review of how Japan interprets its pacifist constitution to allow its military to participate in conflicts beyond its borders for the first time since the end of the second world war.

In an apparent bid to address concerns in China and other parts of Asia where memories of Japan's wartime conduct remain strong, he said Japan would never again become "a country that wages war".

China, which is involved in a dispute with Japan over ownership of the Senkaku islands, which are known as the Diaoyu islands to the Chinese, is concerned by the prospect of a more assertive Japanese military. A foreign ministry spokeswoman, Hua Chunying, said China had "every reason to be highly vigilant on Japan's true intentions and its future development".

She added: "We urge Japan to respect the legitimate and reasonable security concerns of countries in the region, adhere to the path of peaceful development, earnestly face up to and reflect on history, and play a constructive role in regional peace and stability."

Abe believes that the constitution, compiled by US occupation officials after the war, unfairly restricts Japan's ability to exercise its right to collective self-defence, or come to the aid of an ally under attack.

Article 9 of the constitution, which has been nominated for the Nobel peace prize, renounces war as a means of settling international disputes and limits Japan's military to a purely defensive posture. Successive Tokyo governments have interpreted this to mean that Japan can only respond with force to acts of aggression against its territory and that it cannot fight alongside the US and other allies in overseas conflicts.

Abe must now gain the support of his party's junior coalition partner, a Buddhist-backed party with a pacifist tradition, whose votes in the upper house he will need to push through new legislation, allowing Japan to reinterpret the constitution.

While Barack Obama has recently voiced support for Japan playing a more active role in its security alliance with the US, the Japanese public is divided. Recent polls show a majority of voters oppose Japan's involvement in collective defence. One group of women has threatened to go on a "sex strike" to punish any man who supports Abe's move.

In a report submitted to Abe a panel of advisers said Chinese activity in the South China Sea and East China Sea, and North Korean nuclear weapons meant the time had come to consider reinterpreting the constitution.

The report said: "We have reached a situation in which we cannot sufficiently maintain our country's peace and security or realise peace and prosperity of the region and international society under the current interpretation of the constitution."

Scenarios that could prompt Japan to exercise collective self-defence included an attack on US navy vessels in or near Japanese waters, or the launch of a ballistic missile towards the US, the report said.

Analysts said the public was right to be worried by Abe's attempts to remove constitutional restraints on military action. "Abe is an advocate of changing Japan's postwar political regime – a liberal democracy guided by the principles of the constitution and its moderate pacifism," said Yasuo Hasebe, a professor of constitutional law at Waseda University in Tokyo. "Conservatism means to preserve the prudence established over decades, but Abe is trying to dismantle the careful approach Japan has taken and lots of people are worried by that."

Jiro Yamaguchi, a political scientist at Hosei University in Tokyo, said the lack of an effective opposition in parliament made it more likely that Abe would succeed: "There are no big elections for another couple of years and no institutional barriers to [Abe's cabinet] changing its interpretation of the constitution. At the same time, the cabinet's general approval rating is still quite high, so I think Abe believes he can pursue his [constitutional reform] agenda even though the public is against it."

Shinzo Abe reveals plans to lift Japan's ban on fighting in conflicts overseas | World news | theguardian.com

A weak nation or a nation whose military ability has not been tested, will find it difficult to make its voice credible in the international arena.

China's reckless military adventurism has made it reckonable that it has the military might to enforce its will, misguided and fallible that it might be.

Therefore, when she negotiated disputes this aspect is borne in mind.

On the other hand, Japan, which has a military tradition, because of its Constitution, it taken to be weak and only a surrogate of the US.

Thus, maybe Abe feels that Japan and Japanese must make their presence on the international map and not appear to be pacifist wimps.

It obviously will not please many Japanese, who don't want to adopt a belligerent posture and it surely will spook China. who have assumed that they are the Middle Kingdom of the Asia, if not the world, more so, when China has been on the wrong end of the stick historically when it has come to Japan showering humiliation and indignities on China.

A military awakening of Japan will also make many an Asian countries uncomfortable given the history of the past, but pragmatically they will stand clear, while applauding that there is a rise of neighbour to keep China's unbridled onslaught for hegemonic supremacy under check.

India, though not directly involved, will not really be concerned except that Japan has the will and wherewithal to keep China in its place.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
Re: Shinzo Abe reveals plans to lift Japan's ban on fighting in confli

I will like to see japanese submarines in IN submarine fleets and manufactured at MDL or L and T

hitesh

I will like to see japanese submarines in IN submarine fleets and manufactured at MDL or L and T
I Would prefer French ,Spanish ,German,US submarines compared to Japaneses which is almost dependent on US for its major defense needs .Although i would love designed in India.

Japaneses people has seen the true consequences of a war and hey know what war means in true sense

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

Will the Emperor Rise Again ... Imperial Japan Should rise against China and DPRK

well they have some Problems with Russians too

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

@SajeevJino
Japan is one of the greatest countries in the world. As I have said earlier it is my second most favorite country after India. It is a fully developed modern country with eastern values. Despite being a developed country the Japanese people have held onto their traditional values. IMO Japan easily trump both USA and Russia in all aspects. India should strive to achieve Japan`s success and follow their model of success.

Last edited by a moderator:

no smoking

Country flag

A weak nation or a nation whose military ability has not been tested, will find it difficult to make its voice credible in the international arena.
.......India, though not directly involved, will not really be concerned except that Japan has the will and wherewithal to keep China in its place.
All you said will be true only if Japanese didn't desperately beg Americans to save their ass.
They are not only begging the political support from Yankees, but direct military involvement.
The termination of the ban of fighting overseas is the condition of American military support: you want me to fight against Chinese for you, then you have to fight under my commanding in other parts of the world.

Kaalapani

Tihar Jail
Banned

All you said will be true only if Japanese didn't desperately beg Americans to save their ass.
They are not only begging the political support from Yankees, but direct military involvement.
The termination of the ban of fighting overseas is the condition of American military support: you want me to fight against Chinese for you, then you have to fight under my commanding in other parts of the world.
The way Chines are talking is similar to how Germans used to talk during 2nd world war.Too much of propaganda is not good.

apple

Strangely (or I guess not) coincidental with Australia and Japan discussing submarine development.

I Would prefer French ,Spanish ,German,US submarines compared to Japaneses which is almost dependent on US for its major defense needs .Although i would love designed in India.

Japaneses people has seen the true consequences of a war and hey know what war means in true sense

Bit confused as to why the Japanese aren't OK as they are, according to you, dependent on the US, but the US itself is fine...

Know nothing about French and Spanish submarines, but German (along with Swedish and the other European nations) submarines don't have much range in comparison with, say, Japanese, Australian or American submarines.

The Chinese learned, from the Japanese during WW2, a "truer" sense of the horrors of war.

Isn't Karma an Indian concept? The Japanese Empire had it coming.

It's quite an achievment, but you've managed to lower the bar for level of discussion here. You've managed to ignore all salient points and get every fact wrong. Congratulations

Your post is my nomination for the dumbest, most incorrect, post of the week.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

isn't the same chinese warmed their a*s by using american FDI and support of american since 1972?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

May see:

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...61408-japans-military-back-open-business.html

Japan has recently announced a flurry of co-development deals with other countries, a process that was forbidden under the export ban. The United Kingdom and Japan are planning on co-developing chemical warfare protective clothing, and Australia wants Japanese submarine technology for its next generation of attack submarines.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Japan has a very strong military and they are now on the way to even sell their weapons.

Check the threads on Japan

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...61408-japans-military-back-open-business.html

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...nsider-submarine-deal-could-rattle-china.html

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...me to your quest to conquer Asia and the SCS?

no smoking

Country flag

Yes, the funny thing is this "strong" military force can not stand up to Chinese alone: their leaders have to travel around to get every possible political and military support around the world by begging and bowing.
Did you see Chinese rushing to Moscow for a military alliance against Japanese? Of course not! Because we know there is no foreign support coming for free. If you don't need it, why you buy it?

And if the US support Japan, that scares you and is worrisome to your quest to conquer Asia and the SCS?
That is right, it is US not Japan getting Chinese worried. Only fools can deny the power of US.

no smoking

Country flag

It's quite an achievment, but you've managed to lower the bar for level of discussion here. You've managed to ignore all salient points and get every fact wrong. Congratulations
Your post is my nomination for the dumbest, most incorrect, post of the week.
Then tell me: Japanese declares Diaoyu island as their own land, so fighting against any conflict over there is not "overseas" but a part of defence movement within their own country according to their constitution, why Japanese need a lift this bar of fighting in overseas.

apple

Then tell me: Japanese declares Diaoyu island as their own land, so fighting against any conflict over there is not "overseas" but a part of defence movement within their own country according to their constitution, why Japanese need a lift this bar of fighting in overseas.
Good point.

But, your initial post was referring to America. As far as I'm aware, America has always guaranteed the defence of Japan.

Your claim that this decision was required to maintain defence relations with America is, to me, ridiculous and not based on any public statements. America marines have been leaving Okinawa.

Japan "begging" (your claim) for American military and political support seems to be the opposite of what's been happening.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Yes, the funny thing is this "strong" military force can not stand up to Chinese alone: their leaders have to travel around to get every possible political and military support around the world by begging and bowing.
Did you see Chinese rushing to Moscow for a military alliance against Japanese? Of course not! Because we know there is no foreign support coming for free. If you don't need it, why you buy it?

That is right, it is US not Japan getting Chinese worried. Only fools can deny the power of US.
It is because you do not understand warfare conduct and the tactics involved wherein you come up with statements like Yes, the funny thing is this "strong" military force can not stand up to Chinese alone.

An island nation is vulnerable on all sides.

Their leaders do not go asking any other nation to protect them. It is just that they are cleverer than the Chinese it appears wherein the exploit the other nations' geostrategic concern to their advantage and in the bargain gets the spinoffs therein.

You prove the point yourself, where in you state it is US not Japan getting Chinese worried.Only fools can deny the power of US,

The clever people are not worried about the US since they make the US their friends. It is only fools who think they are capable of challenging the US are the ones who are left to worry; and worry they must.

t_co

The clever people are not worried about the US since they make the US their friends. It is only fools who think they are capable of challenging the US are the ones who are left to worry; and worry they must.
Gentlemen, your 'brave and honorable' IA officer.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Gentlemen, your 'brave and honorable' IA officer.
You bet it.

Stupidity has still not hit me.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles