Eurozone Crisis online

santosh10

@aerokan

its funny, but, the fortune of Russia rising on the border too, along with Crimea, and hopefully with Eastern Ukraine too, soon.... with inducting Finland also, hopefully :ranger:

Last edited by a moderator:

aerokan

Country flag
@aerokan

its funny, but, the fortune of Russia rising on the border too, along with Crimea, and hopefully with Eastern Ukraine too, soon.... with inducting Finland also, hopefully :ranger:
Indeed, it's another indication of rising fortunes of a country. True to the swing nature of the economics, Growth phase of world economy is giving way to expansion of wealth among countries.

santosh10

Unemployment Rate and Employment Rate of US

1st: Labor Force Employment Rate of US

we find a continued fall in Labor Force Employment Rate of USA from 66.2% in August/September 2008 to its lowest level at 62.8% last month. check the table as below, its the lowest level of "Employment Rate" of US since September 2008, which doesn't show it's better than any time since Lehman Brothers collapse in September 2008. and till then we find a parallel line at 66%+, showing no fall till August 2008. only around 63% Labor Force have any job/source of income:-
//data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000
//data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000

The labor force participation rate is the ratio between the labor force and the overall size of their cohort (national population of the same age range.
In the United States, The unemployment rate is calculated by dividing the number of unemployed persons by the size of the workforce, where an unemployed person is defined as a person not currently employed but actively seeking work. The size of the workforce is defined as those employed plus those unemployed.[1]

Labor force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Typically "working-age persons" is defined as people between the ages of 16-64. People in those age groups who are not counted as participating in the labor force are typically students, homemakers, and persons under the age of 64 who are retired.

What is the Labor Force Participation Rate?
=> and this is how US register drop in unemployment rate, as below.....
"Though the unemployment rate fell in March and April, both drops reflected fewer people looking for work, not more employment," :tsk:

//rt.com/usa/160596-47-percent-unemployed-not-looking/
=>
and hence a similar rise in people dependent on Food Stamp in US sine 2008 recession is also justified, as below......

//cnsnews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/large/images/Food%20Stamp%20Households-All%20Time%20High-Chart.jpg

//cnsnews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/large/images/Individual%20Food%20Stamps-CHART-2.jpg

//cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/record-20-households-food-stamps-2013

=> hence drop in Mexico born population since 2009 recession is also justified this way, the first drop in immigrants since WW2, check this curve carefully.
is this the reason for so many conflicts by US in world????
//cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/business/immigration2.png

=> a similar curve of US is as below too:
//i.cfr.org/content/publications/July2013/002_military_spending_percent_of_world.png

cfr.org/defense-budget/trends-us-military-spending/p28855

santosh10

United States of AmericaCountry
The United States of America, commonly referred to as the United States, America, and sometimes the States, is a federal republic consisting of 50 states and a federal district. Wikipedia
Related statistics
($d)"> 16.8 trillion USD "Ž(2013)
($d)"> 53,142.89 USD "Ž(2013)
($d)"> 316.1 million "Ž(2013)
Now growing at 3.9 percent. and almost no inflation. Do you want to compare that to India.
with that, we have exchange rates first,

1.0 US$ = 62 Indian Rupees = 50 Russian Ruble

and $17trillion US economy has around $18trillion National Debt and over $60trillion Total Debt. while Total Debt on India and Russia, GDP at around $2.0trillion each, is compared with the falling OECD economies as below :wave:

//cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/original-size/t1-overall_0.png

=> .
richest based on borrowing debt? more than half of US's budget goes in Social Security+Free Medical only? :what:

we generally discuss, at least 20% US's population may fall in slum, if US doesn't borrow social security+welfare for them. :ranger:

//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2011.png

Expenditures in the United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

santosh10

Now growing at 3.9 percent. and almost no inflation. Do you want to compare that to India.

Comparing OECD Economies with Emerging Economies

India is a developing economy, so it would grow at least at 6%+ on the long run, while average growth rate of OECD economies since 1990 is well below 2% per year, check.

and, a comparison we have between US, Russia, and India is as below. per capita income of US might have reached its early 2008, as even if its around 5% above to pre-crisis level on the back of hefty oil-gas pumping since then, it registered population growth rate at around 0.9% a year too, as below.

while on the other hand, as India is an emerging economy, its GDP is around 50%+ to its early 2008 level, because of around 6.5% average growth rate since then. we find India's growth rate below 5% for the last 2 years, but its now picking up :tup:

and considering hefty cuts in Budget Expenditure, because of heft debt borrowing since 2008 recession hence over twice debt since then on them, i personally can't see anything driving growth in OECD economies in future. we only discuss exception of Australia, the strongest economies among the OECD since 2008, along with Canada too, rest of OECD are still struggling at Per Capita Income below 2008 level, most of them. for example of UK, i just discussed, it just reached its pre-crisis level, by doubling Public Debt since then too, but its Per Capita income adjusting inflation is around 5% lower than its pre-crisis level due to population growth since then.

we simply can't compare an emerging economy like India, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam etc with the OECD Economies :coffee:

//blogs-images.forbes.com/markadomanis/files/2013/03/GDPPerCapitaRussiaUS.png

How Russia And The United States Have Fared Since The Great Recession - Forbes

=> GDP of India since 2007

thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/01747/gdp_1747901f.jpg

GDP growth will not be less than 5%, says Chidambaram

Last edited:

santosh10

six percent of almost nothing is still almost nothing. 4 percent of 53,000 a years is more then 2000 a year. Six percent of 2000 a year is only 120 a year. Make that 1625 times 6 percent for 2014.

and thats why i first mentioned exchange rates difference between US and India, which make a huge difference. in purchasing power terms, i would say 1.0 US$ = Indian Rupes 10.0, no more than that. so, you would consider per capita income on "PPP term of India "at around" $15,000, considering how prices really affect a common civilian

and the main issue here is the total Debt of US, well over $60.0trillion+, while that of India would be hardly around $2.5trillion, as below:

//cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/original-size/t1-overall_0.png
=>

"on Ground" Purchasing Power Comparison between India and US

please check my post again, and read "Per Capita Income at Ground", on ground :thumb:

On Ground: on ground, i pay $3.2 for a Medium size Flat White Coffee in Sydney while walking on the road, while its hardly Indian Rupees 25 (40 cents), for the same size and same standard of milk/coffee/machine of my near by. 8 time difference
(while i generally by coffee from the side at hardly IRN 15-20)

the "cheapest" food, 'production line food' of KFC/Mc Donalds/Hungry Jack etc cost around $10, no less than that. while a simple plate of food in Delhi cost around Indian Rupees 100 ($1.5), in a pretty good Middle Class restaurant. 7 times difference
(while a vegetable thali/plate in the restaurant of my colony of Delhi is priced at INR 70, its good.)

Im a resident of Perth, and you simply can't get a 2 room flat for less than $400 a week, means around $1,700 a month (INR 100,000). while in the city like Lucknow, the capital of largest state of India, UP, in my colony, around INR 20,000 per month is enough) 5 time difference
(while people do get flat for even INR 10,000 a month in Lucknow, on the long term contract. quite seen...)

even the cheapest food in Sydney, a Chinese cheap and best food, is available for $12, take away food, and then you pay $2.5 for water also, the minimum. while 1.0 liter mineral water in Delhi is priced at INR20 (30 cents), the best brands..... around 9 times

and yes, prices of rice, chicken, edible oil, cooking gas, etc is hardly twice in Australia, as compare to India, but again you do pay very high for other services in US......

and thats why i said, $15,000 per capita income in US, means for around $2,000 in India, around. regardless the PPP calculation, what does we buy from our earning "on ground", matters the most. :tup:

=>

Travelling Comparison: along with food prices in the Middle Class restaurants, price of 2 rooms flats/rent, price of mineral waters etc, i just realized one major comparison, the Travelling Expanses in city. here we find, its around INR 20 (30 cents) by the metro From Nehru Enclave to New Delhi railway station. and I would consider Distance of Nehru Enclave to New Delhi similar to Paramatta to Sydney. while from Straigthfield to Sydney, a closest suburb, i used to pay $3.2 for one way. 10 times difference
(while from O-Connor to Perth city, the price comes at around $4.4 for one way.)

hence On Ground Purchasing Power has now included traveling expanses too. again i discussed once, price of Petrol in Sydney and Delhi has hardly 20% difference because of its international price. but i again thought, once you send your vehicle to work shop for any type of repair, it simply cross $600 to $1,000+ in Australia. similar how i said before, even if prices of rice/cooking oil/chicken is hardly around twice in Australia as compare to India, but you first need to go to shops for the items, and service is again expansive in Australia. while we find prices of vegetables in Australia well closed to $10 per kg+, vegetables there are much more expansive than Chicken/Lamb.

i would use the factor of 7.5 to translate the Exchange Rate Per Capita Income of India to see its value in US/UK/Australia. and right now it would stands at around $2,000 :ranger:

Last edited:

santosh10

Even if you used your figures and your the only person in the world that does, the average income in Delhi is 5000 dollars while in Perth its closer to 75,000. Think I prefer Perth
no, if you ask about me then i would say, "25 lacs package in Delhi means for around $110,000 Package in Perth." the minimum people of my profession would get in India, its equivalent value i and engineering-management professionals of my category find.....

even if you have a look on what i said in my last post, it use the factor of 7.5, to calculate the purchasing power, equaling $15,000 in US means for $2,000 in India, the average Per Capita Income of India.

and my "On Ground" calculation has many aspects, which mainly discuss, what you buy in US/Australia on ground, and what i pay here for the same. while the main attribute of living in US/Australia means for many things, other than the coffee we buy, flat rent we pay, and the cheapest food we buy.....

santosh10

while we have news that around 53% workers of US dont get $30,000 a year income, along with those 37%+ Labor force unemployed people too, who have no source of income. as below:- :ranger:

40 'Frightening' Facts On The Fall Of The US Economy
05/27/2013

If you know someone that actually believes that the U.S. economy is in good shape, just show them the statistics in this article. When you step back and look at the long-term trends, it is undeniable what is happening to us. We are in the midst of a horrifying economic decline that is the result of decades of very bad decisions. 30 years ago, the U.S. national debt was about one trillion dollars. Today, it is almost 17 trillion dollars. 40 years ago, the total amount of debt in the United States was about 2 trillion dollars. Today, it is more than 56 trillion dollars. At the same time that we have been running up all of this debt, our economic infrastructure and our ability to produce wealth has been absolutely gutted. Since 2001, the United States has lost more than 56,000 manufacturing facilities and millions of good jobs have been shipped overseas. Our share of global GDP declined from 31.8 percent in 2001 to 21.6 percent in 2011. The percentage of Americans that are self-employed is at a record low, and the percentage of Americans that are dependent on the government is at a record high. The U.S. economy is a complete and total mess, and it is time that we faced the truth.

The following are 40 statistics about the fall of the U.S. economy that are almost too crazy to believe...

#1, Back in 1980, the U.S. national debt was less than one trillion dollars. Today, it is rapidly approaching 17 trillion dollars...

#2, During Obama's first term, the federal government accumulated more debt than it did under the first 42 U.S presidents combined.

#3, The U.S. national debt is now more than 23 times larger than it was when Jimmy Carter became president.

#4, If you started paying off just the new debt that the U.S. has accumulated during the Obama administration at the rate of one dollar per second, it would take more than 184,000 years to pay it off.

#5, The federal government is stealing more than 100 million dollars from our children and our grandchildren every single hour of every single day.

#6, Back in 1970, the total amount of debt in the United States (government debt + business debt + consumer debt, etc.) was less than 2 trillion dollars. Today it is over 60 trillion dollars...:facepalm:

#7, According to the World Bank, U.S. GDP accounted for 31.8 percent of all global economic activity in 2001. That number dropped to 21.6 percent in 2011.

#8, The United States has fallen in the global economic competitiveness rankings compiled by the World Economic Forum for four years in a row.

#9, According to The Economist, the United States was the best place in the world to be born into back in 1988. Today, the United States is only tied for 16th place.

#10, Incredibly, more than 56,000 manufacturing facilities in the United States have been permanently shut down since 2001. :facepalm:

#11, There are less Americans working in manufacturing today than there was in 1950 even though the population of the country has more than doubled since then.

#12, According to the New York Times, there are now approximately 70,000 abandoned buildings in Detroit.

#13, When NAFTA was pushed through Congress in 1993, the United States had a trade surplus with Mexico of 1.6 billion dollars. By 2010, we had a trade deficit with Mexico of 61.6 billion dollars.

#14, Back in 1985, our trade deficit with China was approximately 6 million dollars (million with a little "m") for the entire year. In 2012, our trade deficit with China was 315 billion dollars. That was the largest trade deficit that one nation has had with another nation in the history of the world.

#15, Overall, the United States has run a trade deficit of more than 8 trillion dollars with the rest of the world since 1975.

#16, According to the Economic Policy Institute, the United States is losing half a million jobs to China every single year.

#17, Back in 1950, more than 80 percent of all men in the United States had jobs. Today, less than 65 percent of all men in the United States have jobs. :coffee:

#18, At this point, an astounding 53 percent of all American workers make less than $30,000 a year.
:coffee:

#19, Small business is rapidly dying in America. At this point, only about 7 percent of all non-farm workers in the United States are self-employed. That is an all-time record low.

#20, Back in 1983, the bottom 95 percent of all income earners in the United States had 62 cents of debt for every dollar that they earned. By 2007, that figure had soared to $1.48.

#21, In the United States today, the wealthiest one percent of all Americans have a greater net worth than the bottom 90 percent combined. :tsk:

#22, According to Forbes, the 400 wealthiest Americans have more wealth than the bottom 150 million Americans combined.

#23, The six heirs of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton have as much wealth as the bottom one-third of all Americans combined.

#24, According to the U.S. Census Bureau, more than 146 million Americans are either "poor" or "low income".

#25, According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 49 percent of all Americans live in a home that receives direct monetary benefits from the federal government. Back in 1983, less than a third of all Americans lived in a home that received direct monetary benefits from the federal government.

#26, Overall, the federal government runs nearly 80 different "means-tested welfare programs", and at this point more than 100 million Americans are enrolled in at least one of them.

#27, Back in 1965, only one out of every 50 Americans was on Medicaid. Today, one out of every 6 Americans is on Medicaid, and things are about to get a whole lot worse. It is being projected that Obamacare will add 16 million more Americans to the Medicaid rolls.

#28, As I wrote recently, it is being projected that the number of Americans on Medicare will grow from 50.7 million in 2012 to 73.2 million in 2025.

#29, At this point, Medicare is facing unfunded liabilities of more than 38 trillion dollars over the next 75 years. That comes to approximately $328,404 for every single household in the United States.

#30, Right now, there are approximately 56 million Americans collecting Social Security benefits. By 2035, that number is projected to soar to an astounding 91 million.

#31, Overall, the Social Security system is facing a 134 trillion dollar shortfall over the next 75 years.

#32, Today, the number of Americans on Social Security Disability now exceeds the entire population of Greece, and the number of Americans on food stamps now exceeds the entire population of Spain.

#33, According to a report recently issued by the Pew Research Center, on average Americans over the age of 65 have 47 times as much wealth as Americans under the age of 35.

#34, U.S. families that have a head of household that is under the age of 30 have a poverty rate of 37 percent.

#35, As I mentioned recently, the homeownership rate in America is now at its lowest level in nearly 18 years.

#36, There are now 20.2 million Americans that spend more than half of their incomes on housing. That represents a 46 percent increase from 2001.

#37, 45 percent of all children are living in poverty in Miami, more than 50 percent of all children are living in poverty in Cleveland, and about 60 percent of all children are living in poverty in Detroit.

#38, Today, more than a million public school students in the United States are homeless. This is the first time that has ever happened in our history.

#39, When Barack Obama first entered the White House, about 32 million Americans were on food stamps. Now, more than 47 million Americans are on food stamps. :coffee:

#40, According to one calculation, the number of Americans on food stamps now exceeds the combined populations of "Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming."

40 'Frightening' Facts On The Fall Of The US Economy | Zero Hedge

zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-27/40-frightening-facts-fall-us-economy

jouni

@aerokan

Today is Finlands independence day. It is pretty insulting to hear hints of Finland been inducted. I think Russians learned their lesson when they last time tried to "induct" us and lost 1 Million men in the process.

Voldemort

Country flag
Today is Finlands independence day. It is pretty insulting to hear hints of Finland been inducted. I think Russians learned their lesson when they last time tried to "induct" us and lost 1 Million men in the process.
With a 35000 strong army, you think you will be able to defend yourself against Russia? Finland will be swatted down like a fly in a couple of days.

santosh10

How Immigration Has Impoverished Britain:

75% of Pakistani and Bangladeshi Children Live in Poverty

Claims that immigration is economically beneficial for Britain have been destroyed by news that three-quarters of Pakistani and Bangladeshi children in the UK are being brought up in families that are living on poverty-level income. :ranger:

The report, issued by Millennium Cohort Study, which is tracking children born between 2000 and 2002, has found that 73 per cent of the Pakistani and Bangladeshi seven-year olds were in families estimated to be living on less than 60 per cent of the average national household income.

Just over half of the black children (51 percent) in the Millennium cohort were in such low-income families, compared with one in four white (26 percent) and Indian (25percent) children, said an official press release.

Predictably, low income was strongly linked to joblessness among parents, say researchers at the Institute of Education, University of London, who collected information from almost 14,000 families in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in 2008/9.

According to the report, among fathers, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis had the highest unemployment rate (15 percent) well above the UK average of 6 per cent. Unemployment among black fathers was also high (11 percent) but Indians were less likely to be unemployed (4 percent) than whites (5.5 percent).

Almost two-thirds (64 percent) of white and Indian mothers had jobs :thumb:, compared with half (52 percent) of black mothers and only 17 per cent of Pakistani and Bangladeshi mothers.

A much higher proportion of children in lone-parent families (63 percent) were living below the study's poverty line than those with married (16percent) or cohabiting (30 percent) parents. :facepalm:

The incidence of income poverty for the Millennium cohort families has not changed appreciably over the first seven years of the children's lives, says Professor Heather Joshi, the study's director.

Despite government efforts to eradicate child poverty almost three in 10 children are still in poor families at age 7. It's particularly disappointing that around one in five seven-year-olds is in severe poverty on incomes below half the national average.

The findings appear in a report published today by the Institute of Education's Centre for Longitudinal Studies: Millennium Cohort Study, Fourth Survey: A User's Guide to Initial Findings. Copies of the report can be downloaded here.

bnp.org.uk/news/how-immigration-has-impoverished-britain-75-pakistani-and-bangladeshi-children-%E2%80%9Clive-poverty%E2%80%9D

Who Has Impoverished Britain?

Its interested to see that out of total GBP 2,352 remittances outflow from UK, half of it, around GBP 1.16 goes to only 2 countries, Pakistan+Bangladesh. (GBP 533 million+GBP 627 million)

while Bangladesh and Pakistan occupy the seventh and eleventh positions respectively in terms of the global inflow of remittances, while UK is the 14th place remittance receiving country of world :rofl:
:tsk:

World Bank data suggest that the UK is a net remittance-receiver

The UK is a receiver as well as a sender of remittances. As shown in Figure 1, the World Bank estimates suggest that since the mid-1990s the UK has been a net-remittance receiver. The main countries from which remittances are sent to the UK include Australia, the United States and Canada (World Bank 2010). Real remittance inflows (inflation adjusted) for the UK have increased by an annual average of 6% since 1989, reaching close to GBP 4,647 million in 2009. However, these inflows represent a small share of the UK GDP (about 0.3% in 2009). The UK occupies the fourteenth place in the world in value of remittances received and the sixth place in Europe.

From 1989 to 2009, remittance outflows from the UK increased by an annual average of about 4% in real terms, reaching close to GBP 2,352 million in 2009.

The UK accounted for around 7% of annual remittances to Bangladesh in 2010 (about GBP 533 million) and about 10% of annual remittances to Pakistan during that year (about GBP 627 million) :ranger:

Bangladesh and Pakistan occupy the seventh and eleventh positions respectively in terms of the global inflow of remittances

[migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/migrant-remittances-and-uk]Migrant Remittances to and from the UK | The Migration Observatory]

santosh10

there's no doubt abt Russian will to integrate with Europe (EU)- just answer a few simple Q's - who're those extravagant tycoons living in London?

the heart is where the coffer is! ;)

this way half of the wealth of Super Riches of UK belongs to Russians and Indians only :ranger:

and, Eurozone looks in full mess, badly indebted and economy still below to its pre-crisis level. we have to see how EU as whole turns by the next few years. as, Mr Putin won't be as helpless as Mrs Merkel in future, as below :ranger:

Merkel said Tuesday that full debt sharing would not occur "as long as I live."
June 27, 2012

On the eve of a European summit, German Chancellor Angela Merkel touts tighter budgetary controls and says debt sharing will not occur 'as long as I live.'

BERLIN — As European leaders gather in Brussels on Thursday for a two-day summit aimed at resolving the Eurozone's debt crisis, German Chancellor Angela Merkel's response to the most aggressive proposal pushed by her neighbors is, in essence: Over my dead body.

With borrowing costs for Spain and Italy approaching unsustainable levels, European Union leaders have stepped up their pressure on Germany to accept solutions it has long resisted. But Merkel, whose country has Europe's largest economy and probably will foot the highest share of the bill for rescuing its struggling neighbors, has dug in her heels.

In response to the widespread call for euro bonds, which would allow European countries to issue debt jointly and could ease the cost of borrowing for highly indebted southern European countries, Merkel said Tuesday that full debt sharing would not occur "as long as I live."

[//articles.latimes.com/2012/jun/27/world/la-fg-euro-summit-germany-20120628]Germany leader opposes full debt sharing in Eurozone crisis - Los Angeles Times[/url]
=>

Indians account for 20% of Britain's ultra-rich club
June 19, 2012

Super-rich Indians account for more than 20% of the wealth of ultra-high net worth (UHNW) individuals in Britain, a new list showed on Tuesday. As a national group, they are second only to expat Russians. :ranger:

[hindustantimes.com/news-feed/chunk-ht-ui-businesssectionpage-corporate/indians-account-for-22-of-britain-s-ultra-rich-club/article1-875096.aspx#sthash.sFkQCOHH.dpuf]Indians account for 22% of Britain's ultra-rich club - Hindustan Times]

jouni

With a 35000 strong army, you think you will be able to defend yourself against Russia? Finland will be swatted down like a fly in a couple of days.
Where did you loose one zero? It is 350 000. Have you heard Russia badmouthing Finland? No you haven't and there is a reason for that. Both sides are wise enough to "not to hit head against Karelian pine" again...

santosh10

Where did you loose one zero? It is 350 000. Have you heard Russia badmouthing Finland? No you haven't and there is a reason for that. Both sides are wise enough to "not to hit head against Karelian pine" again...

look, Finland is among those few European economies who performed pretty good since 2008 recession itself, true, and it would be very good to see if Finland re-join russia. for me, its similar to how Crimea joined russia recently. no offence but, other than the bluffs we read in western media, the ground reality is totally opposite. not even a single Crimean isn't happy.... it was a very fair re-join when this part of world voted for over 90% for the purpose, and why not if over 70% population in Crimea are Russians itself :truestory:

its simple that Finland as a Very high HDI category nation, look good when it would unite with a similar status, similar interests country, which share historic relations with Finland too. we simply favor unity/closeness among the similar background friendly countries, and Finland and Russia are among those :truestory:

(similarly, i would personally like to see East Ukraine re-uniting with Russia. while in fact, it would be better if the whole Ukraine comes with Russia. it would first help Ukraine get access to a much richer country, the Russia, a similar background country. and it will also help the Russians have more Orthodox Christian population concerning rise of Islamic Fanaticism in every part of world, which is quite seen in Russia too :ranger:)

Last edited:

jouni

look, Finland is among those few European economies who performed pretty good since 2008 recession itself, true, and it would be very good to see if Finland re-join russia. for me, its similar to how Crimea joined russia recently. no offence but, other than the bluffs we read in western media, the ground reality is totally opposite. not even a single Crimean isn't happy.... it was a very fair re-join when this part of world voted for over 90% for the purpose, and why not if over 70% population in Crimea are Russians itself :truestory:

its simple that Finland as a Very high HDI category nation, look good when it would unite with a similar status, similar interests country, which share historic relations with Finland too. we simply favor unity/closeness among the similar background friendly countries, and Finland and Russia are among those :truestory:

(similarly, i would personally like to see East Ukraine re-uniting with Russia. while in fact, it would be better if the whole Ukraine comes with Russia. it would first help Ukraine get access to a much richer country, the Russia, a similar background country. and it will also help the Russians have more Orthodox Christian population concerning rise of Islamic Fanaticism in every part of world, which is quite seen in Russia too :ranger:)
I think that Vietnam should join India. With American help they are getting better at HDI and could use Vietnamese human and natural resources.

Last edited:

santosh10

@jouni @W.G.Ewald @Ray

here, as discussed in the news of the post#47, "yes, settling in the Slum of Brazil is easier." :facepalm:

:tsk:

santosh10

Japan and Rest of World Since 1990

A look at Japan's economic and demographic difficulties as it goes to the polls

//cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/original-size/images/2014/12/blogs/graphic-detail/20141213_gdm701_4.png
Japan is the third-largest economy after America and China. It is so wealthy that its regions boast the same economic heft as large countries. The entire economy of Brazil fits into the Kanto region that includes Tokyo, for example. Yet despite this wealth, Japan's economic growth has been largely stagnant over a period known as the two "lost decades". America's GDP grew threefold during that time while China's soared. After a short stint as prime minister in 2006-07, Shinzo Abe returned in 2012 calling for a bold, three-part plan of stimulus spending, monetary easing and structural reforms—the so-called "three arrows" of Abenomics. :coffee:

With the first arrow, the government splashed out 10 trillion yen ($84 billion) to boost the economy. With the second arrow, the Bank of Japan agreed to swell its balance-sheet, which in effect flushed capital into the economy. Japan's stockmarket cheered the actions. But a previous government had scheduled a consumption-tax rise in April; when Mr Abe went ahead with it, demand fell and GDP atrophied. This prompted Mr Abe to delay the second part of a tax hike, due in 2015, calling into question his commitment to fiscal consolidation.

Decades of almost no growth and heavy government spending to support the economy has left Japan with the highest public debt in the world, at close to two and a half times the size of its economy and more than double that of industrialised countries. It makes the third arrow of structural reform critical, since only by removing anachronistic regulations and freeing companies to compete domestically and internationally can the country enjoy sustainable growth. It was precisely debt concerns that obliged Mr Abe to push ahead with the first consumption-tax hike despite the fact that it conflicts with his economic programme.

A big drag on Japan is its ageing and shrinking population. The country has 127m people and this is forecast to fall to fewer than 100m by midcentury because of the low birth rate. Already there are more elderly than youth, and this will become even more pronounced over the next several decades. It puts a strain on the economy in two ways. First, it means fewer workers to produce growth or pay taxes to fund public services. Second, more elderly means greater public outlays for pensions and healthcare.

On December 14th Japan goes to the polls in a general election, which Mr Abe's Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) is expected to win handily. That is a reversal from five years ago, when the Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ) won a landslide victory, ending more than half a century of nearly unbroken LDP rule. But the DPJ's inept economic management, and its amateurism at managing the recovery following the earthquake, tsunami and Fukushima nuclear disaster in 2011, brought many voters back into the arms of the LDP. Abenomics promised a break from the previous, ineffectual LDP economic policies. The question for Mr Abe, and for Japan, is whether he will use a renewed mandate to shoot the third arrow of structural reforms.

economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2014/12/japan-graphics?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/dc/fallingblossom
economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2014/12/japan-graphics?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/dc/fallingblossom

prohumanity

Country flag
Juoni the great....yes..small countries can have higher per capita income and they usually do.
I asked four Americans Where is Finland?"
!st one said " Finland..Oh..that is in Disney World"
2nd one said "I know what ...Finland is south of Argentina...England had a war around it"
3rd one said "Finland...It has to be in an Island near Australia..the name sounds English and Australian sea has lots of fish..so Finland"
4th one said "Man..I don't care..leave me alone..i gotta finish my Bud..Finland may be province of England..but I don't care."

santosh10

@jouni

isn't the last post#78 insulting? :ranger:

jouni

Juoni the great....yes..small countries can have higher per capita income and they usually do.
I asked four Americans Where is Finland?"
!st one said " Finland..Oh..that is in Disney World"
2nd one said "I know what ...Finland is south of Argentina...England had a war around it"
3rd one said "Finland...It has to be in an Island near Australia..the name sounds English and Australian sea has lots of fish..so Finland"
4th one said "Man..I don't care..leave me alone..i gotta finish my Bud..Finland may be province of England..but I don't care."
Americans have pretty weak memory. Some historians believe that Finnish Vikings found America centuries before Columbus. "Vinland" and "New Founland" are actually misspelled "Finland".

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles