7 Jan Chinese in rare protest outside newspaper over censorship Demons

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Chinese in rare protest outside newspaper over censorship

Demonstrators staged a rare protest in support of one of China's most respected and liberal newspapers as a feud over press freedom threatened to throw up the first major challenge to incoming president Xi Jinping.

Witnesses said up to 200 people converged outside the Guangzhou newsroom of the Southern Weekend newspaper demanding an end to the stifling censorship of their country's media.

Photographs posted on social media showed demonstrators carrying signs calling for "free press, constitutional government and democracy."

The protest, which ended peacefully, was triggered by an acrimonious dispute between government officials and journalists from the Southern Weekend newspaper who claim censors have been conducting an increasingly aggressive clampdown on their work since last year.

The crisis exploded into the open on New Year's Day after Southern Weekend reporters accused Tuo Zhen, Guangdong province's propaganda chief, of transforming a lengthy newspaper editorial calling for political reform into a gushing homage to China's Communist Party.

According to an analysis by the University of Hong Kong's China Media Project, the original version argued Chinese citizens should be allowed to "voice their criticisms of power loudly and confidently." The altered text, however, was less critical and was published under the headline: 'We Are Now Closer to Our Dream Than Ever Before'.

'
David Bandurski, the China Media Project editor, said Mr Tuo's "in your face [and] offensive" intervention had proved the final straw for many of the newspaper's censorship-weary staff, who reportedly decided to go on strike on Sunday.

The newspaper's journalists believed propaganda officials had broken "a gentleman's code of how you do and don't control the media," Mr Bandurski added. "If they don't push back what will be left of their paper?"

The crisis escalated last Friday when journalists publically slammed Mr Tuo's "brutal", "ignorant" and "catastrophic" intervention.

Dozens of leading academics then followed suit, using an open letter to call on Guangdong's new party chief, Hu Chunhua, to sack Mr Tuo for his "overbearing actions." He Weifang, a legal expert from Peking University and one of the letter's signatories, said the incident was a "challenge to the new central leadership." "So far they have not displayed their stance on political reform. This time, public anger may well test the new leadership." On Monday, one week after the adulterated editorial was published, protestors took to the streets outside the newspaper's Guangzhou HQ.

In an apparent allusion to the death of press freedom, several carried yellow chrysanthemums.

One protestor, Ah Qiang, told the Daily Telegraph the crisis was about more than newspapers.

"This involves not just one media outlet - Southern Weekend - but everyone. It is everyone's business. [It is about] everyone's rights," he said.
Mr Bandurski, from the China Media Project, said the controversy now posed serious questions of the direction China was likely to move in under incoming president Xi Jinping.

"It is not just a media story anymore. It is about what direction China is heading in," he said.

"Ever since the 18th Communist Party Congress [Xi] has touted himself and the new top seven leaders as representing a new style of leadership and this has been pushed very heavily by the state media." But while media reports had painted Xi as a "Spartan, no-nonsense and more open" leader, the so-called "New Year's Greeting" episode had led many to doubt that.

"These are signs that look right now like steps backwards not steps forward," Mr Bandurski said.

Mr He, from Peking University, said it was too early to say if Mr Tuo would be sacked or what consequences the newspaper's journalists might face.
But the central government's reaction would give an early indication of what ordinary Chinese could expect from their government over the coming decade, he added.

Shi Anbin, a professor of media studies from Beijing's Tsinghua University, said the incident underlined the "ever-growing tension" between Chinese journalists and their government.

But the crisis, coming as China's new leadership took power, could provide "an opportunity of initiating genuine press reform in China", he added.
So far Beijing has sought to play down the incident. "There is no censorship of the media in China," a foreign affairs spokesman said last week.

Chinese in rare protest outside newspaper over censorship - Telegraph

The unbridled economic boom which Hu categorised as 'unbalanced' has returned to bite China having caused inequalities and exposure to the free world and its ways.

For any totalitarian and dictatorial regime like China to survive, it is essential that it is isolated from the influences of the outside world and conditioned to believe every word of its Govt who are the Masters.

Mao realised this and kept China isolated till his death.

Deng sold himself to capitalism and allowed Communist party hacks to feed their ancient passion of wealth and money and the Communists went head over heels in acquiring wealth, ,mostly through illegal means. They encouraged the Chinese people to do so too, but ensured that they are satisfied but not too wealthy to challenge the party hacks.

They were allowed to go abroad. Those who went abroad, got infatuated with the fresh air of freedom and spread the message when they returned.

Those not too rich could go to Hong kong and realise that the Mainland people were caged birds being fed with mere droppings.

Western China remained poor as a church mouse while Coastal China rolled in wealth.

Inequality was being observed by a people, who till recently were equal in sharing poverty.

Frustrations grew.

Now it appears Deng has created a powder keg where revolt is becoming the signature.

Deng has played into the hands of the US as Gorbachev did!

Interesting that people underestimate the US as a 'has been'.

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned
Re: 7 Jan Chinese in rare protest outside newspaper over censorship De

They should be sent to Indian to enjoy democracy.Kudos to them.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Maybe.

Everyone is not a conditioned like Pavlovian dogs or mere instruments of robotics!

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned

Maybe.

Everyone is not a conditioned like Pavlovian dogs or mere instruments of robotics!
Hopfully, Mr. Dai Si is in it, since this is their news paper. haha .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

You won't understand, freedom.

It has to be experienced..

Ask those who were liberated in Nanking!

A caged bird even in a gilded cage cannot realise what it is to be a free bird!

I am sure that the Pavlovian dogs never understood when given their meal on conditioned signals.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag

You won't understand, freedom.

It has to be experienced..

Ask those who were liberated in Nanking!

A caged bird even in a gilded cage cannot realise what it is to be a free bird!

I am sure that the Pavlovian dogs never understood when given their meal on conditioned signals.

Enjoy!
What a cheap accusation!

Most of Chinese members in this forum are living overseas! So, we have enough experience about the "freedom".

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

How would I know?

what is the flag they are flying?

Ashamed of their flying the flag where they live,enjoying freedom and being parasites and not being loyal to the hand that feeds?

And the very fact they are overseas,if that is true, could it be the reason that they are posting having experienced and still enjoying freedom?

Last edited:

satish007

What a cheap accusation!

Most of Chinese members in this forum are living overseas! So, we have enough experience about the "freedom".
Love Chinese motherland and your current country at the sametime are reasonable ,but you don't have to stick to Chinese flag.
change you flag to your location related and post pro-china threads please.
don't screw up India China relationship.

Last edited:

satish007

I start to know why most Chinese members here fear nothing to mock India.
if Chinese lose business in India and even have war with India, they do not have to involve.
they are not real Chinese.
sad, Indian guys waste some many times debate with fake Chinese.

G90

The news paper is the one who published an article on some junk claim he want to reborn as a indian in his next life:rofl:

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/china/46208-i-am-reborned-my-next-incarnation-indian-2.html

So basically you get an idea on how crap this news paper is:rofl:

it is pretty obvious this garbarge news paper called southweekend is a USA paid garbarge newspaper, most of their news reporter are human garbage anyway.

About a year ago I met someone from this garbage news paper, guess what, one news reporter there is a Tibetan ethnic and the other is a Xinjiang ethnic, what a joke.

No wonder that newspaper is a pure joke, hope they all reborn as indians in their next life .:rofl:

Now China is about to suspend this crap pure junky new paper, and the american politicans even whine about that, which confirms the news paper's foreign agent connection, China should not just ban them, they should throw all these crap news reporter a.k.a foreign agents to prison or sentence to death for being a agent from a enemy state.

no smoking

Country flag

How would I know?

what is the flag they are flying?

Ashamed of their flying the flag where they live,enjoying freedom and being parasites and not being loyal to the hand that feeds?

And the very fact they are overseas,if that is true, could it be the reason that they are posting having experienced and still enjoying freedom?
The hand feeds? I work harder than most of Australians and I pay my tax. Everything I have today, I earn it, no one give it to me!

Freedom is good thing, but not the pill can cure every problem. As a chinese, we know most of problems in today's China can only be fixed by a powerful gov. If you want a powerful gov, you have to give up some of your political freedoms. It means that elites of China have to accept a limited freedom for the development of poors. And most of Chinese elites accept this simply because it is their responsibility to the poors!

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag

The news paper is the one who published an article on some junk claim he want to reborn as a indian in his next life:rofl:

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/china/46208-i-am-reborned-my-next-incarnation-indian-2.html

So basically you get an idea on how crap this news paper is:rofl:

it is pretty obvious this garbarge news paper called southweekend is a USA paid garbarge newspaper, most of their news reporter are human garbage anyway.

About a year ago I met someone from this garbage news paper, guess what, one news reporter there is a Tibetan ethnic and the other is a Xinjiang ethnic, what a joke.

No wonder that newspaper is a pure joke, hope they all reborn as indians in their next life .:rofl:

Now China is about to suspend this crap pure junky new paper, and the american politicans even whine about that, which confirms the news paper's foreign agent connection, China should not just ban them, they should throw all these crap news reporter a.k.a foreign agents to prison or sentence to death for being a agent from a enemy state.
The news paper sounds authentic as it claims that slave chinese wants to take birth as Free Indians!

The very fact that Chinese want to be born as Indian proves that this is a great news paper depicting the reality of chinese people aka slaves of labor camps.

Chinese who live under slavery need a rebirth to break the shekels of slavery of CCP, the article clearly depicts the pathetic condition of Human Rights in China and how the autocratic rulers of CCP treat their slave population.

It's a different fact that Slave chinese government agents may call this news as unauthentic, however it has been proven that Chinese population aka slaves if born as Mayanmaris will be lucky enough leave alone being Born as India!

True being a Chinese slave of CCP is such a curse! Such a shame that such a big population is slave at a labor camp called China and they wanna take Birth into other nations!

satish007

The hand feeds? I work harder than most of Australians and I pay my tax.
so does Indian, Hard to find Australians on Friday afternoon all in bar.
thanks for sharing, we don't mind you chagne to Austrailian flag, love her and China.
I will change my Avatar if you change your flag, let's debate use Chinese.
funny, two false Chinese flagger Chinese debate in English.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

The hand feeds? I work harder than most of Australians and I pay my tax. Everything I have today, I earn it, no one give it to me!

Freedom is good thing, but not the pill can cure every problem. As a chinese, we know most of problems in today's China can only be fixed by a powerful gov. If you want a powerful gov, you have to give up some of your political freedoms. It means that elites of China have to accept a limited freedom for the development of poors. And most of Chinese elites accept this simply because it is their responsibility to the poors!
You seem to make paying of taxes some sort of a virtue.

Paying of taxes is not a virtue, It is the duty of any citizen since they also benefit from the national and community assets and services Govt provides from the money paid in taxes. Not paying taxes is a criminal act.

It is a natural human failing to feel that one works harder than the next individual. Further, the human race is not a monolith. It consists of different individuals with different attitudes. Some have to work harder than others so as to overcome their deficiencies and inefficiencies, while there are others who are quick on the uptake and understand the work challenges faster, devise the most efficient solution and get it done faster. They. thus. find time at hand. To those who are inefficient and hence working longer work hours, this appears to 'not working hard'.

Freedom is curbed even in a democracy and that instrument is called LAW. But such curbs on individual freedom is legislated by the will of the people, through the legislative bodies, the representatives of which is elected by the people.

In a totalitarian or a dictatorial regime, the curbs on freedom, which too is Law is not curbs that are imposed on themselves by the people through elected representatives, but by the unilateral will of those who govern and are self appointed by a coterie that is like an exclusive club and beyond the pale of election in the manner they represent the will of the people.

In so far as China is concerned the elite (as you mention) may indeed barter their political freedom. They do so because they either belong the the exclusive coterie that governs the nation or the elitists who benefit from the system.

It does not mean that the coterie's draconian and unilateral will is aimed for the progress and well being of the poor, who are normally margilnalised in such governance of unilateral decision making beyond the pale of collective national will.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Amid protests, China's communist censors say their control over media is 'unshakable'

Beijing: A rare protest by journalists of a state-run Chinese weekly against official interference entered the second day on Tuesday amid tacit support from other media outlets, notwithstanding the ruling CPC's assertion that it had an "absolute and unshakable" control over them.

Separately, the Chinese Foreign Ministry also denounced the US for expressing support for the journalists' agitation against the press censorship, saying it amounted to interference in China's internal affairs.

"China is opposed to any country's, any person's interference in internal affairs in any form," Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hong Lei told the media here.

His comments came in response to a question on State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland's statement that the US has long defended and supported the right of media freedom for Chinese journalists and for international journalists operating in China.

Hong declined to comment on the protests, saying it was not his purview.

Meanwhile, several Chinese media outlets have appeared to back journalists at a weekly newspaper embroiled in a row over censorship, a news channel reported.

News portals, however, carried a state-sanctioned editorial criticising the journalists. But, they added a disclaimer saying that the piece did not mean that they shared the views expressed in it, the report said.

Journalists of the Southern Weekend, a Chinese language weekly published on Thursdays from Guangzhou close to Hong Kong, in an unprecedented move, held a demonstration outside their office protesting against the interference by a Communist Party official.

The protest attracted worldwide attention as it was also the first such event following last November's once-in-a-decade leadership conference of the Party in which Vice President Xi Jinping was elected its new leader promising more reforms and opening up.

Reports from Guangzhou said protests continued for the second day on Tuesday by the journalists and police intervened to stop scuffles between scribes and a small group of government supporters who appeared on the scene with Mao's portraits.

But the most decisive response came from the Communist Party of China (CPC), which in a memo circulated to various media units firmly stated that the official media would remain in its complete control.

"The party has absolute control of China's media. This basic principle is unshakable," the memo issued by the Publicity Department of the Communist Party's Central Committee to Party Chiefs and media officials said.

Referring to Monday's protests by journalists demanding freedom from interference of local Party officials, the memo said "the incident has nothing to do with Guangdong province's propaganda chief, comrade Tuo Zhen," who was accused of having rewritten a critical editorial.

The journalists blamed Tuo for altering a critical editorial written by the editors in the New Year edition adding pro-Party and government content.

Instead, the party memo accused "foreign forces" of being behind the incident.

"Hostile foreign forces had interfered in the Southern Weekend incident," the Hong Kong based South China Morning Post quoted the memo as saying.

The memo requires officials to continue to prevent editors and journalists from expressing online support for Southern Weekend.

It also asked newspapers to print an editorial published by the state-run newspaper the Global Times which ruled out freedom of press.

It claimed that former employees of the Southern Weekly and activists, including the US-settled blind Chinese rights activists Chen Guangcheng, were "among those who avidly promote the issue online."

"Their campaign, ostensibly aiming at specific officials, actually targets China's entire media system," it said.

For media professionals, it is clear that under the reality of China's current state of affairs, the country is unlikely to have the "absolutely free media" that is dreamed of by those activists, the editorial said calling for "soul- searching."

"The development of media must be in accordance with China's own situation. Media reform must be a part of China's entire reform process. There cannot be a 'special political zone' set for media. The Southern Weekly issue will not be concluded with a surprise ending," it said.

"Those external activists are expecting direct confrontation between Chinese media and the current system. But nowadays, China's attention is on developing the economy and improving livelihoods. The public doesn't want to see uncertainty in the country's future," the editorial said.

"China's media development needs reform. But media reform should be in line with China's politics. We must actively and bravely promote media reform, but meanwhile, avoid radical reform that is out of step with political development and China's reforms as a whole," it said.

"We hope readers support the Southern Weekly and cooperate to resolve the incident, not forcing it to play a role beyond its reach," it said.

Amid protests, China’s communist censors say their control over media is ‘unshakable’ - The Washington Post

satish007

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Deputy head of Guangzhou's Public Security Bureau hangs himself
Posted: 01/9/2013 3:00 pm

The deputy head of Guangzhou's Public Security Bureau, Qi Xiaolin, was found hanged to death yesterday, Guangzhou Daily has reported on its microblog. He was 55 years old.

The deputy, who was based in Tianhe District, also had unspecified physical illnesses, news organizations have reported.

Although more details have yet to emerge, Sina Weibo is already buzzing. Some have extended their sympathies to the family. But due to the vagueness of the reasons given for the suicide, speculation is rife about why he really did it. Others have shown schadenfreude.

Here are some of the reactions:

Liberating Oreo: The people of Fujian congratulate you.

Maitian Bianyuan: (This suicide was down to) "suicide with Chinese characteristics."

Hong Zhi'ang: Was he depressed because he was unable to lose weight?

yzwc: A hero for our times. Sacrificing himself for his comrades and his family.

Guoguo Wangshi: I hope those bastards all get depression.

Haozhu Chu Haozhu: These days, it's said about all officials who commit suicide that they were suffering from depression.

We will bring you more as new information emerges.

Nanfang Insider | Life in the PRD

Why was he depressed?

And what does this mean:
(This suicide was down to) "suicide with Chinese characteristics."

amoy

Why was he depressed?

And what does this mean:
(This suicide was down to) "suicide with Chinese characteristics."
Chinese characteristics / depression - maybe hinting the suicide was due to investigation into some scandals that involved the official. Quite a few officials did so when reported of involvement in scams (similarly in Japan and S'pore)

However, he's innocent, until any charge of this kind is proven.

So, rest in peace.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Chinese characteristics / depression - maybe hinting the suicide was due to investigation into some scandals that involved the official. Quite a few officials did so when reported of involvement in scams (similarly in Japan and S'pore)

However, he's innocent, until any charge of this kind is proven.

So, rest in peace.
Who should rest in Peace?

You? ;)

satish007

Ray;653991Why was he depressed? And what does this mean: [I said:
(This suicide was down to) "suicide with Chinese characteristics."[/I]
CCP let him shoot all the protesters. he was then very depressed.
He was a good guy, thanks for sharing the site, Ray, I will report to my people and shut down the site.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles