China preventing UN action on Libya

JustForLaughs

it was a vote. a lot of people had a chance to oppose. it was 10 for, 5 abstain if i recall correctly. this title is retarded.

pmaitra

it was a vote. a lot of people had a chance to oppose. it was 10 for, 5 abstain if i recall correctly. this title is retarded.
Not really. This thread was started before the UNSC vote. It is speculative. So take it easy buddy.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
What is France worthy of? Russia dared the US over Georgia. PRC dared the US over Taiwan. France has dared whom? ..... Gaddafi [cough cough]. Indeed, Monsieur Sarkozy is the bravest of the brave.

Fortunately, not everyone thinks like Monsieur Sarkozy. He has his own agenda. He wants to be the leader of Europe and grab Libya's oil. This has got absolutely nothing to do with 'saving civilian lives'. In the process of saving a bunch civilians, Sarkozy has managed to kill a bunch of civilians (see quote below), with its 'super accurate' cruise missiles and what not.

Contrary to what you would have us believe, the stand of India, Russia, PRC, Germany and Brazil has been principled. Both sides are armed, thus, cannot take sides. Period. However it takes a while for some to realise this reality.
While Gaddafi went to cause a "bloodbath" in Benghazi... France had the fortitude to stop it. No civilians dead here, just Gaddafi goons.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

While Gaddafi went to cause a "bloodbath" in Benghazi... France had the fortitude to stop it. No civilians dead here, just Gaddafi goons.

Yes, Gaddafi wanted to do bloodbath in Benghazi and he should have been stopped. The problem I have with this entire thing is that the ceasefire applies only to the pro-Gaddafi forces, when in reality both the sides are armed. Last time I checked Reuters, civilians died due to French air-strikes (I have already posted that news). So when you are saying that no civilians died, I will need to verify the authenticity of that claim. I understand where you are coming from and you want to defend everything France does. Unfortunately for you, the Russia, PRC, India, Germany and Brazil are not seeking to control Libyan oil, so not everyone will agree with your claims.

Action against Libya begins

Reuters reports that pro-Gaddafi people in Libya are forming human shields despite British PM Cameron's claims that UK's actions are to protect the Libyan people. Libyan TV, says Reuters, showed ambulances carrying victims of this US-Anglo-French invasion. If true, this again vindicates the stand taken by India, Russia, PRC, Germany and Brazil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Yes, Gaddafi wanted to do bloodbath in Benghazi and he should have been stopped. The problem I have with this entire thing is that the ceasefire applies only to the pro-Gaddafi forces, when in reality both the sides are armed. Last time I checked Reuters, civilians died due to French air-strikes (I have already posted that news). So when you are saying that no civilians died, I will need to verify the authenticity of that claim. I understand where you are coming from and you want to defend everything France does. Unfortunately for you, the Russia, PRC, India, Germany and Brazil are not seeking to control Libyan oil, so not everyone will agree with your claims.
That is the caveat of the UN resolution now isn't it. Gaddafi is the bad guy and the rebels are the good guys. That is how France put it and the UNSC accepted it. They had their chance to vote against it so India, Russia, Germany, China, and Brazil all have that to live with their abstention.

Last time you checked Reuters you must not have checked it well. France attacked the convoy which was on a clear stretch of road and a SAM site at Taruja which is well outside of Tripoli. It is US cruise missiles that were fired at heavily populated areas. I wouldn't be relying on reports from Libyan state TV for a source. :pound:

pmaitra

That is the caveat of the UN resolution now isn't it. Gaddafi is the bad guy and the rebels are the good guys. That is how France put it and the UNSC accepted it. They had their chance to vote against it so India, Russia, Germany, China, and Brazil all have that to live with their abstention.
The UN resolution talks about preventing civilian casualties. Gaddafi is the bad guy, agree. Are the rebels good guys? That's what you say, probably because they show promise of holding onto Libyan oil. There is no such oil incentive for those who abstained.

Last time you checked Reuters you must not have checked it well. France attacked the convoy which was on a clear stretch of road and a SAM site at Taruja which is well outside of Tripoli. It is US cruise missiles that were fired at heavily populated areas. I wouldn't be relying on reports from Libyan state TV for a source. :pound:
It is not only Reuters, but also Al-Jazeera, Huffington Post, Herald Sun etc., who have reported civilian casualties near Tripoli citing Libyan sources. There are videos as well. Check it out yourself.

In the event that doesn't suffice, here is more news for you:

The head of the Arab League, who supported the idea of a no-fly zone, has criticised the severity of the bombardment.

"What is happening in Libya differs from the aim of imposing a no-fly zone, and what we want is the protection of civilians and not the bombardment of more civilians," said Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12801812
Now tell me, you wouldn't trust BBC or the Arab League Secretary General as a source of information, rather everyone should take everything you say as God's truth.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Now tell me, you wouldn't trust BBC or the Arab League Secretary General as a source of information, rather everyone should take everything you say as God's truth.
They are regurgitating Libyan state TV figures hence my point. The French attack on the convoy killed 95 people which is just as many as Gaddafi claims civilians killed. So for him, his troops are civilians. :pound:

pmaitra

They are regurgitating Libyan state TV figures hence my point. The French attack on the convoy killed 95 people which is just as many as Gaddafi claims civilians killed. So for him, his troops are civilians. :pound:
Just as I expected. Unlike you, BBC isn't deluded and neither is the Arab League, which initially supported the no-fly zone.

Also, Gaddafi has opened his arms depots for the people. So yes, many of pro-Gaddafi fighters are indeed civilians, albeit armed, just like many among the rebels are armed civilians. There are plenty of pictures all over this thread and other threads to prove that, but feel free to counter that with your unsupported claims.

Last edited:

amitkriit

Just as I expected. Unlike you, BBC isn't deluded and neither is the Arab League, which initially supported the no-fly zone.

Also, Gaddafi has opened his arms depots for the people. So yes, many of pro-Gaddafi fighters are indeed civilians, albeit armed, just like many among the rebels are armed civilians. There are plenty of pictures all over this thread and other threads to prove that, but feel free to counter that with your unsupported claims.
Might is right, USA and allies will kill, while rest of the world will keep watching. There is no point in talking morality.

pmaitra

amitkriit

Thanks Amit.

If you see some of the debates that I have been in in the past couple of days, you will see many people argue without any credible evidence. Check post #271 here: http://defenceforumindia.com/showthread.php?p=249985#post249985

Fun stuff!
They are in Libya to take out an anti-Nato, anti-USA guy and to install another puppet regime. Control over oil will be added bonus. All these talks about humanity and freedom are just for preparing the tax-payers for the upcoming war (not to convince them, because everything is preplanned). Many of the Arab League nations fighting for "Libyan People" on behalf of USA and allies will never ever give freedom to their own subjects.

As far as civilian deaths are concerned, perhaps USA and allies have killed more civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq than all local regimes/warlords/groups put together. Still nothing can touch them.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
When BBC quotes figures, they put "as reported by Libyan state television." There is no delusion as they give you the warning that it is bunk before hand. Arab League is sending fighters so they say one thing and support another. That is their politics.

French fighters are not bombing armed civilians with AKs. They are bombing tanks, artillery, mobile SAMs, rocket launchers, military supply vehicles... if people are stupid enough to hang around, that is their problem.

pmaitra

When BBC quotes figures, they put "as reported by Libyan state television." There is no delusion as they give you the warning that it is bunk before hand. Arab League is sending fighters so they say one thing and support another. That is their politics.

French fighters are not bombing armed civilians with AKs. They are bombing tanks, artillery, mobile SAMs, rocket launchers, military supply vehicles... if people are stupid enough to hang around, that is their problem.
Firstly, try to inculcate the habit of including links to back up your claims. Plenty of your claims have already been proven wrong and you know that.

Secondly, while I can accept that Libyan TV in itself might be biased, there is absolutely no reason to distrust BBC. While I can see that you are trying to skirt the issue of civilian deaths due to allied bombing, I will bring you back on track and say that it is the Arab league that said that the current attacks are not what this UN resolution was meant to be. Libyan TV has got nothing to do with this. There is no such thing as "as reported by Libyan state television." preceding or in the text I quoted from BBC. Arab League was not quoted by Libyan TV, but by BBC, the link of which I have provided, get that into your head before you come back with your juvenile arguments.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Firstly, try to inculcate the habit of including links to back up your claims. Plenty of your claims have already been proven wrong and you know that.

Secondly, while I can accept that Libyan TV in itself might be biased, there is absolutely no reason to distrust BBC. While I can see that you are trying to skirt the issue of civilian deaths due to allied bombing, I will bring you back on track and say that it is the Arab league that said that the current attacks are not what this UN resolution was meant to be. Libyan TV has got nothing to do with this. There is no such thing as "as reported by Libyan state television." preceding or in the text I quoted from BBC. Arab League was not quoted by Libyan TV, but by BBC, the link of which I have provided, get that into your head before you come back with your juvenile arguments.
You posted a BBC link with civilian casualty figures? Where??

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
They are in Libya to take out an anti-Nato, anti-USA guy and to install another puppet regime. Control over oil will be added bonus. All these talks about humanity and freedom are just for preparing the tax-payers for the upcoming war (not to convince them, because everything is preplanned). Many of the Arab League nations fighting for "Libyan People" on behalf of USA and allies will never ever give freedom to their own subjects.

As far as civilian deaths are concerned, perhaps USA and allies have killed more civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq than all local regimes/warlords/groups put together. Still nothing can touch them.
This post deserves a rep :thumb:

pmaitra

You posted a BBC link with civilian casualty figures? Where??
You are at post #195. Have you read post #187? Try not to jump in the middle, or else you will keep asking such questions.

P.S.: Go to the link and read it for yourself. I never claimed to have posted any numbers, and so 'civilian casualty figures' [sic.] is purely your invention.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
You are at post #195. Have you read post #187? Try not to jump in the middle, or else you will keep asking such questions.

P.S.: Go to the link and read it for yourself. I never claimed to have posted any numbers, and so 'civilian casualty figures' [sic.] is purely your invention.
Then what are you complaining about when it doesn't even list casualties? This whole thing is based on your statement...

Last time I checked Reuters, civilians died due to French air-strikes (I have already posted that news).
No civilians died due to French air-strikes and you have nothing that says it was caused by France. Get over yourself.

pmaitra

Then what are you complaining about when it doesn't even list casualties? This whole thing is based on your statement...

No civilians died due to French air-strikes and you have nothing that says it was caused by France. Get over yourself.
I referred to Reuters citing Libyan TV stating civilian casualties by the allied assault (this does not prove that French were not responsible for civilian deaths). You countered that by saying Libyan TV cannot be trusted. Hence, I gave you a link to BBC news with a quote from the Arab League. Proves my point of civilian casualties. Period.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I referred to Reuters citing Libyan TV stating civilian casualties by the allied assault (this does not prove that French were not responsible for civilian deaths). You countered that by saying Libyan TV cannot be trusted. Hence, I gave you a link to BBC news with a quote from the Arab League. Proves my point of civilian casualties. Period.
The Arab League didn't say jack about France. period

Global Defence

New threads

Articles