Page 187 of 213 FirstFirst ... 87137177182183184185186187188189190191192197 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 3194

The Syrian Crisis

Liked
    9104 times
    India

Re: The Syrian Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by W.G.Ewald View Post
    I will avoid commenting on your tin-foil hat as well.
    We have diametrically opposite views on Russia, Israel, and Adolf Hitler. I am quite comfortable with the fact that you think I am not a thoughtful person. I just choose not to be candid about what I feel about those that I disagree with. Keep that tin-foil hat to yourself. I did not grow up under Cold War propaganda, so we will never see eye to eye when it concerns Russia.
    TrueSpirit likes this.
    No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Liked
    928 times
    China

Cairo's Al Azhar's top Sunni cleric opposes military action - Al Jazeera Blogs
    Al-Azhar in Cairo, Sunni Islam's highest authority, declared its firm opposition to any US strikes on Syria, saying this would amount to "an aggression against the Arab and Islamic nation".
    and an interesting comment
    tanweer
    AL-Azhar clerics are Egyptian government(military coup backed) sponsored. This is proved by there stand on the current political situation and targeted killing of MB.
    They have always been like state run TV.
    just another mouthpeace for the military
    A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Liked
    4448 times
    India

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Liked
    4448 times
    India

double post.
    If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Liked
    8206 times
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by pmaitra View Post
    We have diametrically opposite views on Russia, Israel, and Adolf Hitler. I am quite comfortable with the fact that you think I am not a thoughtful person. I just choose not to be candid about what I feel about those that I disagree with. Keep that tin-foil hat to yourself. I did not grow up under Cold War propaganda, so we will never see eye to eye when it concerns Russia.
    I really had no idea you really believed that FSA or other insurgents could use chemical munitions*, or that Saudis had a chemical weapons inventory which they suddenly would reveal and give to Assad's opponents.

[*Launching a chemical attack is not trivial. It requires planning, training and assessment of weather and terrain, calculations of target area and weapons payload. Only Syrian forces have that capability.]

As far as I know, the chemical weapons used in the 21 August attack impacted in areas controlled by FSA. Did they shoot at themselves?

Yes, I am an "unreconstructed cold warrior", but that has nothing to do with the facts about the chemical attack. Let's stick to those.
    asianobserve and SajeevJino like this.

Liked
    4448 times
    India

Liked
    4448 times
    India

Quote Originally Posted by W.G.Ewald View Post
    I really had no idea you really believed that FSA or other insurgents could use chemical munitions*, or that Saudis had a chemical weapons inventory which they suddenly would reveal and give to Assad's opponents.

[*Launching a chemical attack is not trivial. It requires planning, training and assessment of weather and terrain, calculations of target area and weapons payload. Only Syrian forces have that capability.]

As far as I know, the chemical weapons used in the 21 August attack impacted in areas controlled by FSA. Did they shoot at themselves?

Yes, I am an "unreconstructed cold warrior", but that has nothing to do with the facts about the chemical attack. Let's stick to those.
    And what about those who defected from the army and not to mention that arms have been raided from the army.

The UN has also previously stated that the rebels used chemical weapons so how did they manage to do it or do you think the UN is talking nonsense ?

Liked
    8206 times
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    And what about those who defected from the army and not to mention that arms have been raided from the army.

The UN has also previously stated that the rebels used chemical weapons so how did they manage to do it or do you think the UN is talking nonsense ?
    Can you get more specific information on these points?

The major attack occurred on August 21 with many (~1500) casualties. I doubt insurgents had the capability to do it.

Liked
    2136 times
    India

USS Nimitz carrier group rerouted for possible help with Syria

The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz and other ships in its strike group are heading west toward the Red Sea to help support a limited U.S. strike on Syria, if needed, defense officials said on Sunday.

The Nimitz carrier strike group, which includes four destroyers and a cruiser, has no specific orders to move to the eastern Mediterranean at this point, but is moving west in the Arabian Sea so it can do so if asked. It was not immediately clear when the ships would enter the Red Sea, but they had not arrived by Sunday evening, said one official.

"It's about leveraging the assets to have them in place should the capabilities of the carrier strike group and the presence be needed," said the official.

President Barack Obama on Saturday delayed imminent cruise missile strikes by five destroyers off the coast of Syria, and sought approval from Congress, a move that effectively put any strike on hold for at least nine days.

The U.S. Navy doubled its presence in the eastern Mediterranean over the past week, effectively adding two destroyers to the three that generally patrol the region. The five destroyers are carrying a combined load of about 200 Tomahawk missiles, officials say.

The Nimitz carrier group had been in the Indian Ocean, supporting U.S. operations in Afghanistan, but was due to sail east around Asia to return to its home port in Everett, Washington, after being relieved in recent days by another aircraft carrier, the USS Harry S. Truman.The Navy has also sent the USS San Antonio, an amphibious ship with 300 Marines and extensive communications equipment on board, to join the five destroyers, diverting it from a previously scheduled mission that would have taken it farther west.

The USS Kearsarge, a large-deck amphibious ship that is part of a readiness group with the San Antonio, is also on the way toward the Red Sea after a port call in the United Arab Emirates, officials said. No further specific orders had been issued to the ship, they said.

The Kearsarge, which carries 6 AV-8B Harriers, 10-12 V-22 Ospreys and helicopters, played a key role in the 2011 strikes on Libya. Two Ospreys launched from the ship helped rescue a downed F-15 pilot during that operation.

Exclusive: USS Nimitz carrier group rerouted for possible help with Syria | Reuters
    To be a Free Nation in our own Land. The Land of Zion and Jerusalem.. .להיות עם חופשי בארצנו ארץ ציון ירושלים להיות עם חופשי..
    .நான் ஒரு சியோனிச ஆதரவாளன் என்பதில் பெருமைப்படுகிறேன்...Proud be a Supporter of Jewish State Israel
    http://sajeevpearlj.blogspot.in/

Liked
    154 times
    India

Very Interesting pictures...will some one be able to trust the "backstabbing" power? History repeats..those who ignore history.are doomed to repeat it.
    India beware !
    pmaitra and The Messiah like this.

Liked
    154 times
    India

My dictator..good dictator...my terrorists..good terrorists...is this the guiding principle ?
    I believe a terrorist is a terrorist..irrespective of what nation or society he attacks. Lets get it clear.

Liked
    2032 times
    France
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesvaikom View Post
    They wish to attack Syria. But they will change their strategy when their enemies change theirs. Russia is now sending strong warnings. Russia want oil prices to remain high. If US attack Syria then Russia may use that as an excuse to attack oil fields in Saudi. US won't attack Russia because that will cause huge casualties on both sides. Saudi Govt. is investing most of their savings in US$. If they face financial crisis then they will sell their dollar reserves. In past US used lame excuses to attack Middle East countries for securing oil. Now due to increase in shale oil production they are using lame excuses to avoid wars. Now its Russia who need wars.
    Russia isn't going to do anything but whine. Saudis are more than capable of defending against a Russian rustbucket flotilla.

Liked
    8206 times
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Government let British company export nerve gas chemicals to Syria - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

The Government was accused of “breathtaking laxity” in its arms controls tonight after it emerged that officials authorised the export to Syria of two chemicals capable of being used to make a nerve agent such as sarin a year ago.

The Business Secretary, Vince Cable, will on Monday be asked by MPs to explain why a British company was granted export licences for the dual-use substances for six months in 2012 while Syria’s civil war was raging and concern was rife that the regime could use chemical weapons on its own people. The disclosure of the licences for potassium fluoride and sodium fluoride, which can both be used as precursor chemicals in the manufacture of nerve gas, came as the US Secretary of State John Kerry said the United States had evidence that sarin gas was used in last month’s atrocity in Damascus.

Liked
    8206 times
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by pmaitra View Post
    That was a case of putting the horse before the cart.

Invasion start: July 10, 2002
    Authorization: March 3, 2003

Getting a Declaration of War isn't exactly the same thing as the War Powers Act 1973. From my understanding, that Act is meant for a situation where there is an imminent threat to the US. There was none from Iraq. The Constitution requires the President to get a Declaration of War from the Congress, not an authorization or endorsement of the President's action under War Powers Act.

I see this as abusing power using a loop hole.
    Works and Days » Obama Indicts Obama

One of the problems that Barack Obama has in mounting an attack against the Assad regime is that the gambit violates every argument Barack Obama used against the Bush administration to establish his own anti-war candidacy.

The hypocrisy is so stunning that it infuriates his critics and stuns his supporters.

Deriding the Iraq war was Obama’s signature selling point. He used it to great effect against both Hillary Clinton (who voted for the war) in the Democratic primaries and John McCain in the general election. For the last five years, disparagement of “Iraq” and “Bush” has seemed to intrude into almost every sentence the president utters.

And now? His sudden pro-war stance makes a number of hypocritical assumptions. First, the U.S. president can attack a sovereign nation without authorization from Congress (unlike the Iraq war when George W. Bush obtained authorization from both houses of Congress). Even if Obama gets a no vote, he said that he reserves the right to strike.

Second, Obama assumes that the U.S. must go it alone and attack unilaterally (unlike the coalition of the willing of some 40 nations that joined us in Iraq).

Third, it is unnecessary even to approach the UN (unlike Iraq when the Bush administration desperately sought UN support).

Fourth, the U.S. president must make a judgment call on the likelihood of WMD use, which is grounds ipso facto to go to war (unlike Iraq when the vast majority of the 23 congressionally authorized writs had nothing to do with WMD [e.g., genocide of the Marsh Arabs and Kurds, bounties to suicide bombers, harboring of international terrorists, violations of UN agreements, attempts to kill a former U.S. president, etc.]).

So review for a moment the Old Obama case against the New Obama.
    Read more at link.

Liked
    8206 times
    United States

Everything the Media is Missing on Syria - Night Watch - Townhall Finance Conservative Columnists and Financial Commentary - Page 1

Comment: The three primary questions about the attack remain unanswered.

- What agent was used?

- How was it delivered?

- By whom?

What appeared to be a slam dunk on Tuesday has weakened as more information has emerged about the source of US intelligence and about Syrian rebel chemical warfare capabilities. A lot of information has emerged, but is not receiving mainstream coverage in the US...

So the media tally is the rebels claim they have gas and were gassed. The Government acknowledges that the rebels have gas and admits it has gas, but denies it used it. The Government claims that its gas is under strict control and the US officially has confirmed the Syrian government's claim. Both sides also have rockets that can deliver gas.

No news service has investigated rebel use of gas on 21 August. Nobody has bothered to ask any questions.

Thread Information