The Syrian Crisis

pmaitra
    India
    We have diametrically opposite views on Russia, Israel, and Adolf Hitler. I am quite comfortable with the fact that you think I am not a thoughtful person. I just choose not to be candid about what I feel about those that I disagree with. Keep that tin-foil hat to yourself. I did not grow up under Cold War propaganda, so we will never see eye to eye when it concerns Russia.
    TrueSpirit likes this.

Senior Member amoy
    China
    Cairo's Al Azhar's top Sunni cleric opposes military action - Al Jazeera Blogs
    and an interesting comment

Bow Before Me! The Messiah
    India

India
    double post.

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2011
    United States
    I really had no idea you really believed that FSA or other insurgents could use chemical munitions*, or that Saudis had a chemical weapons inventory which they suddenly would reveal and give to Assad's opponents.

[*Launching a chemical attack is not trivial. It requires planning, training and assessment of weather and terrain, calculations of target area and weapons payload. Only Syrian forces have that capability.]

As far as I know, the chemical weapons used in the 21 August attack impacted in areas controlled by FSA. Did they shoot at themselves?

Yes, I am an "unreconstructed cold warrior", but that has nothing to do with the facts about the chemical attack. Let's stick to those.
    asianobserve and SajeevJino like this.

India

India
    And what about those who defected from the army and not to mention that arms have been raided from the army.

The UN has also previously stated that the rebels used chemical weapons so how did they manage to do it or do you think the UN is talking nonsense ?

United States
    Can you get more specific information on these points?

The major attack occurred on August 21 with many (~1500) casualties. I doubt insurgents had the capability to do it.

משטר ציוני SajeevJino
    India
    USS Nimitz carrier group rerouted for possible help with Syria

The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz and other ships in its strike group are heading west toward the Red Sea to help support a limited U.S. strike on Syria, if needed, defense officials said on Sunday.

The Nimitz carrier strike group, which includes four destroyers and a cruiser, has no specific orders to move to the eastern Mediterranean at this point, but is moving west in the Arabian Sea so it can do so if asked. It was not immediately clear when the ships would enter the Red Sea, but they had not arrived by Sunday evening, said one official.

"It's about leveraging the assets to have them in place should the capabilities of the carrier strike group and the presence be needed," said the official.

President Barack Obama on Saturday delayed imminent cruise missile strikes by five destroyers off the coast of Syria, and sought approval from Congress, a move that effectively put any strike on hold for at least nine days.

The U.S. Navy doubled its presence in the eastern Mediterranean over the past week, effectively adding two destroyers to the three that generally patrol the region. The five destroyers are carrying a combined load of about 200 Tomahawk missiles, officials say.

The Nimitz carrier group had been in the Indian Ocean, supporting U.S. operations in Afghanistan, but was due to sail east around Asia to return to its home port in Everett, Washington, after being relieved in recent days by another aircraft carrier, the USS Harry S. Truman.The Navy has also sent the USS San Antonio, an amphibious ship with 300 Marines and extensive communications equipment on board, to join the five destroyers, diverting it from a previously scheduled mission that would have taken it farther west.

The USS Kearsarge, a large-deck amphibious ship that is part of a readiness group with the San Antonio, is also on the way toward the Red Sea after a port call in the United Arab Emirates, officials said. No further specific orders had been issued to the ship, they said.

The Kearsarge, which carries 6 AV-8B Harriers, 10-12 V-22 Ospreys and helicopters, played a key role in the 2011 strikes on Libya. Two Ospreys launched from the ship helped rescue a downed F-15 pilot during that operation.

Exclusive: USS Nimitz carrier group rerouted for possible help with Syria | Reuters

India
    Very Interesting pictures...will some one be able to trust the "backstabbing" power? History repeats..those who ignore history.are doomed to repeat it.
    India beware !
    pmaitra and The Messiah like this.

India
    My dictator..good dictator...my terrorists..good terrorists...is this the guiding principle ?
    I believe a terrorist is a terrorist..irrespective of what nation or society he attacks. Lets get it clear.

CHINI EXPERT Armand2REP
    France
    Russia isn't going to do anything but whine. Saudis are more than capable of defending against a Russian rustbucket flotilla.

United States
    Government let British company export nerve gas chemicals to Syria - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

United States
    Works and Days » Obama Indicts Obama

Read more at link.

United States
    Everything the Media is Missing on Syria - Night Watch - Townhall Finance Conservative Columnists and Financial Commentary - Page 1

Thread Information