Young terror recruit from Mumbai returns to 'normal' life

KS

Bye bye DFI
Young terror recruit from Mumbai returns to ‘normal’ life - The Times of India

MUMBAI: Rubab Shah (name changed to protect identity) returned from a terror training camp three months ago, fully equipped to create havoc in the country. A few weeks later, however, he developed cold feet and had a change of heart. Unable to confide in anyone, he went through a month of turmoil before approaching the state Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS).

Shah, who says that he did not want to kill anyone or get caught for such crimes, admitted everything to the ATS officers and expressed his regret. Today, the 20-something MCom has a job on the recommendation of the police and earns Rs 25,000 a month.

Sources in the ATS say that Shah, who studied in Mumbai, was brainwashed to go for a month's training across the border. "He completed his training in assembling firearms, connecting explosive devices, identifying important locations, mixing explosives and fitting timer devices. He was also taught how to recruit more men and expand the network," says an officer.

After Rubab Shah approached the ATS, he was taken to its chief, Rakesh Maria. "We counselled and 'neutralized' him. Our fight is against terrorism, not terrorists," says Maria, who personally questioned Shah.

The ATS is now conducting a de-indoctrination programme for youngsters like Shah. "We are improving our information system and are trying to deradicalize those who are/were on the periphery of a terror network," says Maria. "We have begun working towards a good counselling system, which includes a de-indoctrination programme, and hope to get results in the next few years."

Maria says the ATS is actively identifying potential terror trainees with some help from NGOs. "There are some boys (who are part of sleeper cells) who do not have an active role, but I feel we should neutralize them," he says. "An important part of this is to eradicate the feelings of persecution that such people invariably harbour. We need to bridge the gap between the police and such communities."

The ATS is aware of a few people who have been involved in brainwashing youngsters and instigating them into terror training or becoming members of terror modules. Says Maria, "We have made it clear to such people that we know about their activities, and that if they do not stop doing this, they will be booked."

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Well done boy, well done ATS.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is a good thing that has happened.

However, the question is will those who trained him and spent money on him, allow him to 'get away'?

An enviable position!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It is a good thing that has happened.

However, the question is will those who trained him and spent money on him, allow him to 'get away'?

An enviable position!
I wonder what job ATS recommended to earn him a 25k job. Counter terrorist op? I think he'd know a lot about sleepers and come in handy for intelligence

ejazr

Ambassador
Interesting story, but where is this terror training camp located? Within India or did he travel to Pakistan? And if he traveled to Pakistan, how come he was able to do this so easily and within weeks? I thought our Indo-Pakistan border was one of the most well guarded borders.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Interesting story, but where is this terror training camp located? Within India or did he travel to Pakistan? And if he traveled to Pakistan, how come he was able to do this so easily and within weeks? I thought our Indo-Pakistan border was one of the most well guarded borders.
The border is well guarded in the sense of the word.

However, every inch cannot be guarded and there are gaps. There are undulations. gullies, thick forests and so on.

That is why infiltration takes place.

The Rann is also a great and harsh expanse for smugglers and terrorists to move.

Nepal and Bangladesh are the best choice!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
He must have given good intel also.

We should still monitor him for a while...he can still be useful to crack new cases and act as an example for others who have been brainwashed to come forward and surrender.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles