Yoga is demonic: US Pastor

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by GokuInd, Oct 18, 2010.

1. GokuInd

GokuInd Regular Member

Furore as US pastor calls yoga demonic

A pastor in the US has caused a stir by calling yoga "demonic" and asking Christians to stay away from its practice.

Mars Hill Church pastor Mark Driscoll said that yoga was an agent of Hinduism and hence demonic. His comments came during a question answer session with church members.

"Should Christians stay away from yoga because of its demonic roots? Totally. Yoga is demonic. If you just sign up for a little yoga class, you're signing up for a little demon class," Driscoll said.

An estimated 15.8 million people practise yoga in the US and yoga studios are coming up in many cities.

The pastor's comments have enraged many yoga practitioners and come in the backdrop of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kentucky terming yoga as against Christianity.

Father D. Emmanuel, spokesperson for the Delhi Catholic Archdiocese, dismissed Driscoll's views as personal and not the official stand of the Church.

"The Church in India does not feel that yoga is demonic. Many in western countries do not understand what yoga is or how it helps," Father Emmanuel told Headlines Today.

"There is a view in some churches that yoga is anti-Christianity. While it is a Hindu practice, it is certainly not anti-Christianity or demonic. One can be a practising Christian and still do yoga," he said.

Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar said misinformation about yoga was being spread by fringe elements. "The fringe elements have always called yoga demonic. We have faced it for so many years. Twenty years ago, even Hindu religion used to be considered as part of demonic culture," Ravi Shankar said.

"Yoga on the contrary kills stress, violence and hatred. How can it be called demonic?" he asked.

Yoga expert Baba Ramdev said thousands of Christians around the world had taken to yoga as a form of good health. "They look at yoga as a life science rather than associating it to Hindu religion. Fringe elements exist in every religion, but they cannot dictate the beliefs of the people at large," Ramdev said.

3. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

LOL! Shows how desperate the Pastor is to maintain dogmatic control over Christian society--something that has been a part of Medieval European culture. A large number of hollywood stars have taken to Yoga... thousands of childless couples have benefited from yoga's famous Pranayama and have had kids, many asthma patients have recovered completely because of Yoga and this stupid idiotic pastor calls it Demonic. This pastor is no different from Iran's Mullahs.

I can understand why he's been asked to issue such statements. A 2008 new report revealed that around 24% of Americans have taken up either taken up Eastern religions (mainstream Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism) or espoused its spiritual roots to their own self. Hence, this person has simply been told to issue such statements to "discourage" Americans from adopting eastern faiths and ancient ways of life.

4. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

I was reading some comments posted in response to this article in the ToI and many Indian Christians were fully supportive of the pastor's position saying that Yoga was a sin for true followers of Christ. To be fair, there were a few who said that pastor and their coreligionists were talking out of their backsides and there was nothing demonic or sinful about Yoga.

5. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

US pastor says yoga 'demonic'

US pastor says yoga 'demonic', sparks row

SEATTLE: Ever seen a demon in padmasana? A pastor in Seattle, US, is seeing millions of them. Mars Hill Church pastor Mark Driscoll's statement that yoga is an agent of Hinduism, and hence demonic, has many yoga gurus seething and practitioners confused.

Adding fuel to the fire, The Seattle Times newspaper last week quoted R Albert Mohler Jr, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kentucky, as saying that yoga was against Christianity. Some see the statements as acknowledgement of the popularity of yoga, which has been growing as rapidly as religions once did.

A system of meditation and exercise passed down generations in India, yoga has been found to give physiological, psychological and therapeutic benefits. An estimated 15.8 million people practice yoga in the US, where yoga studios are proliferating in every city.

Those who flock to these studios feel that the pastor's statement is an attempt by the church to interference in their lifestyle. "The church has nothing to do with my choice of exercise," says April Mallery, 32, a yoga practitioner and a regular church-goer at Renton, Seattle. "The benefits of yoga are great and never in contradiction to one's practising religion," she said.

What irked people like Mallery was a recent question and answer session of Driscoll with church members.
    "Should Christians stay away from yoga because of its demonic roots?" Driscoll asked, before replying: "Totally. You sign up for a little yoga class, and you are signing up for a little demon class."

Contesting the idea of yoga seeking to "connect to the universe through meditation" and not "connecting to God through the mediatorship of Jesus", Driscoll dubbed yoga "a form of pantheism and absolute paganism". Richard Brenin, a teacher at Glow Yoga Center, Washington DC, called Driscoll's comment "a bit of racism".

Contesting the pastor relating yoga with Hinduism because of use of Sanskrit words, Brenin told TOI: "I suspect that there's a bit of racism and nationalism coming from church leaders, who harp on language issues and images of Hindu deities which for many studios are mere decorations or at most stories that inspire and challenge. There is no worship in a US yoga studio."

While many Indians in the US see in Driscoll's sermon a conspiracy against Indian culture, Hari Gopinathan, an Oracle employee in San Francisco, finds streaks of rebellion in Christian yoga practitioners, especially women.

"With an increasingly nuclearised society, women, at the first chance of a free choice, rebel. Yoga started off as one such sub-culture avenue for rebelling. It cuts out middle-men when it comes to spiritualism and offers freedom of expression and minimal diktats on things like sex and gender equality. Add to this the health benefits, and you have a potent adversary to organised religion," says Gopinathan.

Read more: US pastor says yoga 'demonic', sparks row - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...rks-row/articleshow/6766178.cms#ixzz12ljUYtVl

6. mattster

mattster Respected Member Senior Member

The United States is no different than many countries in that you have a fair share of wacko extreme-fringe element Christians who periodically make idiotic statements, etc.

But the main diffrence between the US and many other countries that have fringe elements is that the US is very diverse and has a very high college educated population. No one listens to these nut-cases. You see quite a few of them on FOX News spouting all kinds of conspiracy theories about the left. But this is not Pakistan.

As far as I can see, Yoga today is even more popular in the US than in India. Many Gyms these days are offering free yoga classes.

7. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

If you don't mind me asking, what is the point of this article? To show that religious leaders are nutjobs?

I think that's already common knowledge.

8. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

American Mullah :D

I am completely agreed with civfanatic. Ignore this type of persons. They are not worth having a page for discussion.

9. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

An increasing number of liberals don't take pastors seriously. Hence they try radical things for attention.

10. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

I had met one pastor once who had claimed he trusted Fox News only. I replied back saying that I respected his choice but I do not believe in Fox News because I know they are slightly better than compulsive liars and if anyone had a laptop I could prove it to him then and there. There was no further exchange of opinions thereafter on this topic.

There are hate mongers in every society and there are some people who propagate their own theories, especially in the Southern USA, famously called the Bible Belt. Most people are usually nice but I find those annoying that try to convince me that all humans came from Adam and Eve and that Dinosaurs live under the Earth's surface and when they move we have earthquakes. Once again, no offense to anyone.

11. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

So? Who cares what a random pastor in Seattle says? I honestly do not understand how anyone can take the Times of India seriously, even their sensationalist tabloid pieces have gone down the tubes. After that douchebag Florida pastor got world wide attention for his plans to burn the Koran (thanks to another metastasized tabloid- CNN) every other marginalized attention whoring nutjob pastor has realized that a few inflammatory remarks about an oversensitive and emotionally immature community snowballs into a worldwide phenomenon. The trick is to make sure it reaches the right hyper sensationalist "news" organizations.

Consider this, Seattle is known to be one of the most liberal cities in the USA. It is home to an avant garde liberal art scene, yuppy techies, grunge music and overpriced hipster coffee houses. It is highly unlikely anyone gives this guy the time of the day. There is no reason to give him infamy he doesn't deserve.

12. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Apparently, he has seen the Demon an communicates with Satan!

And Satan is but leading up the garden path.

Or maybe he tried to do yoga and got into a brain lock inadvertently when trying the shirsashan yogic head stand. Thus, his ire!

13. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

Your mama's demonic, you f&#*iN tw# t-eatin' piece o' sh!t.

Your Mars Hill Church is aptly named, it belongs right there - on Mars.

P.S. Do some yoga, maybe it'll help the [email protected]..a little.

14. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

LOL hahhahahah i am demonic...and I especially teach demon worshiping to local chruch goers hahahhahahahha Beat that!!

15. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

These are the people who make their religion look bad, Taliban and this US pastor fall in same category!

16. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

If Yoga was merely restricted to yuppie crowd and to the 'progressive classes',as was the case with 'Gurus',clergy couldn't have cared less.But Yoga has gone beyond a Hollywood fad and has begun taking roots in popular consciousness,which probably explains all the vitriol.However its true that the new age Yoga has been intentionally stripped off all its Hindu association and is mostly a commercial enterprise and presents no real religious threat........The pastors can say their Amen in peace :)

17. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

But isn't fox news the most watched news channel in usa ?

Im pretty sure it is!

18. neo29

neo29 Senior Member Senior Member

Pastor seems way to orthodox or he just wants publicity. Nevertheless he should be ignored.

19. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

Look at it this way: Aaj Tak is the most-watched news channel in India. But is it the best news channel? Of course not. It's far-right of centre, vomits with advertisements (thanks to its viewership), and shows bollywood/TV-serial related garbage most of the time, and conspiracy-theories on the other. Faux-News is just like that.

20. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

i heard some of the US citizens residing in the US bible belt are such that they make the saudis and taliban look tame .May be plays for that audience

21. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010