Yes, we trained militants against India: Musharraf

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Oracle, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Former military ruler Pervez Musharraf has admitted that Pakistan had trained underground militant groups to fight in Kashmir, the first such admission by a top leader of the country.

Musharraf's remarks came days after he announced his return to active politics from London where he has been living in self-imposed exile.

"They (underground militant groups to fight against India in Kashmir) were indeed formed," Musharraf told German magazine Der Spiegel in an interview.

Asked why did Pakistan train militant underground groups to fight India in Kashmir, the former President said Nawaz Sharif's apathy to the Kashmir issue was one of the reasons, so was the fact that the world had turned a blind eye to the dispute.

"Yes, it is the right of any country to promote its own interests... when India is not prepared to discuss Kashmir at the United Nations and is not prepared to resolve the dispute in a peaceful manner," Musharraf claimed.

"The (Nawaz Sharif) government turned a blind eye because they wanted India to discuss Kashmir," he said. Musharraf indicated he had no regrets for the Kargil intrusion, that led to an armed conflict with India in 1999, and argued that each country had a right to promote its national interest.

Musharraf slammed the international community, particularly the West, for persistently ignoring the Kashmir issue, and for singling out Pakistan for all blames.

"The West was ignoring the resolution of the Kashmir issue, which is the core issue of Pakistan. We expected the West -- especially the United States and important countries like Germany -- to resolve the Kashmir issue," he said.

"Has Germany done that?" the former Pakistan military ruler asked.

Musharraf launched his political party the All Pakistan Muslim League in London and announced his intention to contest the 2013 election.

"The West blames Pakistan for everything. Nobody asks the Indian prime minister, why did you arm your country with a nuclear weapon? Why are you killing innocent civilians in Kashmir? Nobody was bothered that Pakistan got split in 1971 because of India's military backing for Bangladesh. The United States and Germany gave statements, but they didn't mean anything," he said.

Musharraf, who overthrew Sharif's government in a bloodless coup in 1999, had also as army chief presided over the Kargil misadventure that had threatened to scale up into a full-fledged war between India and Pakistan.

Musharraf charged the international community of courting India for strategic deals, while treating Pakistan as a rogue state.

"Everybody is interested in strategic deals with India, but Pakistan is always seen as the rogue," Musharraf said.

The former Pakistan ruler also said the worst blunder of the US would be to quit in Afghanistan without winning. "Then militancy will prevail not only in Pakistan, India and Kashmir, but perhaps also in Europe, the United Kingdom and in the United States. That's my belief," he said.

Musharraf dubbed disgraced nuclear scientist A Q Khan as "characterless" and rejected his claims that Pakistani army had monitored and organised clandestine atomic deals with countries like Iran and North Korea.

"Mr (A Q) Khan is a characterless man," Musharraf said, when asked about the Pakistani nuclear scientist whom he had put under house arrest on charges of proliferation of nuclear technologies to 'rogue' countries like North Korea and Iran.

On Khan's claims that the Pakistani army monitored and organised such nuclear deals, he said: "That is wrong, absolutely wrong."

"I would be a traitor if I had ever given our nuclear weapons to the United States. This capability is our pride and it will never be compromised," he said.

Khan, considered a pioneer of the Pakistani nuclear programme, had also claimed that he was forced to confess his role in nuclear proliferation by the then military regime.

Musharraf, who is living in London on self-imposed exile, said the days of the army rule in Pakistan are over.

"Whenever the country is in turmoil, everybody looks to the army. But I would suggest that the times of military coups in Pakistan are over. The latest political developments have shown that the Supreme Court has set a bar on itself not to validate a military takeover," he said.

"We poisoned Pakistani civil society for 10 years when we fought the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 1980s. It was jihad and we brought in militants from all over the world, with the West and Pakistan together in the lead role. After the withdrawal of the Soviet troops, the West left Pakistan with 25,000 'mujahideen' and Al Qaeda fighters, without any plan for rehabilitation or resettlement," he said.

Blaming the West for the present 'fundamentalism' in the country, he argued: "Now you expect Pakistan to pull out a magic wand and make all of this suddenly disappear? That is not doable -- this will take time."

Musharraf said the West has made three blunders so far. "After the Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan, they abandoned the region in 1989," he said.

"Then, after 9/11, they fought the Taliban instead of strengthening the Pashtuns who could have taken on the radical Taliban. Now you try to negotiate with so-called 'moderate Taliban' but there is no such thing as a moderate Taliban. There are Taliban and Pashtuns.

"But as I have always said: All Taliban are Pashtun, but not all Pashtun people are Taliban. Again, you should reinforce the ancient Pashtun clans who are not ideologically aligned with the Taliban to govern Afghanistan and to fight the Taliban. That's my strong advice," he said.

The fourth and "worst blunder" would be to quit without winning, Musharraf said. "Then militancy will prevail not only in Pakistan, India and Kashmir, but perhaps also in Europe, the United Kingdom and in the United States. That's my belief," he said.

Source: Rediff.com

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  3. devgupt

devgupt Regular Member

the soldier has become a politiican and a shameless one - in every sense.loudly speaking in hyperbolas and mouthing slogans

Openly declaring terrorism as a valid instrument of state foreign policy. hardly better than terrorists themselves

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  4. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

Musharraf cannot confess to such sins on his own. I am sure his masters in England and USA forced him to confess. Recent developments and Pakistan defiance to co-operate with forces in Afghanistan might have prompted them to force Musharraf so that they can put pressure on Pakistan.

Killing of Germans signals US shifting war to 'rogue' Pak?

Read more: Killing of Germans signals US shifting war to 'rogue' Pak? - The Times of India Killing of Germans signals US shifting war to 'rogue' Pak? - The Times of India

5. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

Tell us something we didn't already know, Mushy :yawn:

6. neo29

neo29 Senior Member Senior Member

So all those statement when he was in power that Pakistan has no links to terrorists is false. In short the current Pak govt is taken over the reigns from where he left.

7. devgupt

devgupt Regular Member

Reading his interview I was struck by his reference to Germany twice-as a great power.
    Whats the reason to mention Germany-One can understand, UK in South Asian context but Germany?

Now there are reports of German jihadis in Pakistan.

Hmm is a message being sent to germany that u didnt backed Pakistan, hence plot to attack germany?

8. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

dont try to understand the motives of this nonsense country.

9. Vinod2070

Vinod2070 मध्यस्थ Stars and Ambassadors

This is a society with no moral compass. They have lost it thoroughly and there is no low they won't stoop to.

No sense of shame and no learning from their mistakes. What they don't realize is that the experiment of Pakistan is not something that is permanent. It can unravel pretty quickly and it will.

10. Rebelkid

Rebelkid Regular Member

ok....this is gonna backfire soon, this news is on every world media and Pakistan can literally forget about any international interference in Kashmir. Good job Mushy ...lol

11. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

I hope now the foolish AMAN KI ASHA Indians realize how idiotic and Utopian their thoughts and their concept has been about peace with such a country. Wonder why do we get all the idiots on our side of the border. Such people are an insult to the daily dying soldiers in Kashmir and eastern front and should be shunted out of India forever for insulting the brave sacrifices in our armed forces.

12. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

how long before isi label him as Indian agent :emot15:

13. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

at times i wonder, is musharraf an indian agent i disguise :D

he was instrumental in kargil, ended up with muck on pakistan's face, with the whole world cornering pakistan on that and pakistan was seen as the aggressor.
    he made sure kashmir was more or less put on the back burner, started towing indian take on LoC where he also started talking about "out of the box" solutions with the aim of converting LoC to IB absolutely contrary to pakistani policy.
    Indian Army did a fantastic job in rooting out terrorism from J&K but then musharraf's role cant be denied in that as well.
    he was the first pakistani general to have ever admitted that ISI does all the dirty work but back then they coined the rouge elements to save their skin.
    and now this ...................

this chap is just fantastic for our interests, he does more harm to pakistan's interests which is what india would want, i for one will definitely support him whenever the next elections are.

14. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Shhhhhh TR, you could be booked under OSA for letting out a closely guarded secret. He was paid out during his visit to his "haveli" in Delhi. Now dont tell this to anyone.

Seriously though Mush is trying to make sure he is back in the good books of the west so that he can come back to Pakistani politics and head it again by being the poster boy of moderate or even level headed or something though he is anything but. He is a wily of fox and knows how to play the dubious and devious games very well.

15. Tronic

Tronic Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

He has been saying this for ages. He came to India 2 years ago and said the same thing, that Pakistan supports terrorists in Kashmir. I uploaded that interview on WAB; this is really nothing new.

Germany is mentioned, because, if i'm not wrong, I believe this interview was conducted by a German news agency.

16. IBRIS

IBRIS Senior Member Senior Member

You are indeed the biggest traitor in the pakistani history, musharraf. pakistanis hate your guts what else are you going to offer on platter for $$$. 10 years of iron fist rule, behaving like a western puppet, handing over many pakistani civilians to CIA, spilled human blood in Lal Masjid, ignoring UN resolutions, abandoning national hero A.Q. Khan, played a double game with ISAF, deployed army at afghan border and aided the jihadis for 10 years against coalition forces.

No wonder no one pays attention to your hue and cries over kashmir, they know it's a land grab attempt. What surprises me these pakistanis still love to see you come back and rule and loot them again. pakistanis have become immune to being ruled and corrupt to their core.

17. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

willy fox, sure he is, no doubt in that, and he knows how to market himself to the west who are seen as the real movers and shakers in the pakistan politics, but still one needs to put a glance at what he said:

Yusuf,

mate which pakistani speaks like that (the red highlighted part)? as far i understand, the only moderate faction in pakistan utters those words, dont forget he was instrumental in taking the fight to the radicals in lal-masjid in islamabad/rawalpindi (?) and the only other people who say that are the indians, a view that is absolutely contrary to the obama admin, also as i said he has been a sure shot helping hand in making sure the flow of terrorism was curtailed to a certain extent be it under the pressure of the US post 9/11 or indian diplomats tighten up the screws and exposing them in the international arena and rest was all done by the indian army but still there was an end result which all happened when he was in charge and never before.

i dont know what you make of that, but it does seem to me, he is someone we can surely work with and have tangible results to soothe our interests, atleast he is better than the others.

18. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Musharraf is a bahuroopee.

And anyway, Pakistan is double faced.

What's new?

Musharraf's party will never succeed because he is a Mohajir and Mohajirs are not trusted in Pakistan.

19. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

TR, not sure mate about trusting Mush. He may have done something that looks good to us but it may only been part of his plan to suck us in. Remember Pakistanis have always been smooth talking. In Gujarati we call such people "meetha chawal". For me you just plain cannot trust anyone in Pak but yes we have to do biz with someone there so Mush could have been the man. But the old policy of trust but verify should be the mantra.

But as tronic has said, he has admitted to terrorism in the past. But what matters right now is the timing of reiterating it. He might have miscalculated its reaction. The west is really pissed with Pak and this admission has firmly put them in ROGUE list. What Mush was probably hoping with his admission is to galavnize the Pakistanis behind him with the usual K word and terror and launch himself into Pak politics. I think its going to backfire on him.

20. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Now this is what I call a boomerang maneuver!

Now, Musharraf has officially proclaimed that Pakistani people are indeed terrorists as per the re-quote below:

21. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

Mushy expertise in running with hares hunting with hounds.He can't be trusted.And whatever ceasefire or reining of militants he did was the direct result of operation parakram and american pressure.And regarding his openly claiming and speaking to media;even their is a ploy.one day he seems to open up other day he retracts everything...Remember famous Mukhtar Mai episode where in in washinghton post interview Mushy said..... on Tuesday, September 13, 2005
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/12/AR2005091201724.html

Next day he retracted again... on record...Monday, September 19, 2005
    Musharraf Denies Rape Comments

On September 23, 2005 Wahsington post nails mushy's lies by releasing the exact audio tapes of the interview.

Audio tape EXCERPT: Interview with Pakistan president Musharraf(you can listen to it by following this link)

On Saturday, October 1, 2005 washington post writes the editorial....

Gen. Musharraf 's Lies

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010