Yes, it's possible to build a 500 sq foot house for 6 lakhs

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Yes, it's possible to build a 500 sq foot house for 6 lakhs

The engineers and professors of the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras) have shown that its possible to do this. They hope that this model will be followed by the government of India for the large scale public housing shortage for the poor in this country.

But what miracle material is the house made of that makes its price seem like pittance when real estate every where is running northwards? In an NDTV report, the engineers explained that the house is made of gypsum reinforced with glass fibre. This technology limits the cost of building to just Rs 1250 per square foot. Not just that, in this process it is not required to plaster the ceiling, walls or the staircase.

And the clinching point for this house? A 500 square foot flat with two bedrooms, a hall and a kitchen can be assembled in just a month – a factor that could bring in a revolution in public housing in a country riddled with delays in public infrastructure building.

But is there enough gypsum in the country to sustain such construction on a mass scale?

Speaking to NDTV, Devdas Menon, one of the IIT Madras professors associated with this project, said, "The fertiliser industry waste itself is around 40 million tonnes, building up annually and there are many other sources of gypsum. I think for a long time we can sustain with this kind of construction. We are already talking to potential private sector builders. What we need is large number of plants all over the country and trained workers to correctly build it and we hope to provide that support."

This is an Australian technology that the IIT team have been researching for 10 years and a prototype house has been put up at the IIT campus in Chennai. At present the team depends on a factory in Cochin to deliver the gypsum boards but very soon they will go for tie ups with industrial houses for mass scale production.

The professors assured that the building is as sturdy as any other concrete building – in fact probably it is more sturdy than any other building. One can build up to six floors using this technology, added the same report. ''

http://www.firstpost.com/tech/yes-its-possible-to-build-a-500-sq-foot-house-for-6-lakhs-852677.html

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
There are other methods also available for low cost housing that can be put up in no time. Only problem with them is they require a lot of horizontal space as going up is not possible. India has very less land that can be used.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
There are other methods also available for low cost housing that can be put up in no time. Only problem with them is they require a lot of horizontal space as going up is not possible. India has very less land that can be used.
My idea about construction is very poor. Does it become relatively more costly if we build highrises? Another problem in highrises is requirement of lifts which increase maintenance cost.

To rehabiliate people in slums I dont think this type of house is required. The IIT should come out with bigeer apartment buildings in low cost.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
My idea about construction is very poor. Does it become relatively more costly if we build highrises? Another problem in highrises is requirement of lifts which increase maintenance cost.

To rehabiliate people in slums I dont think this type of house is required. The IIT should come out with bigeer apartment buildings in low cost.
You cannot keep going horizontal. Not enough land.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Can someone please explain what the big deal is, here? This looks like a thoroughly nonsense article to me.

Because the article says, the cost of construction using this method is Rs. 1250 per square foot. When I built my house last year using "normal RCC construction" in Bangalore, it cost me around Rs. 1400 per square foot, and this because I splurged on Jaquar bath accessories and expensive granite etc. A bare-bones construction will cost Rs. 1250 per square foot. And the contractor does it for Rs. 1000 per square foot, the remaining is his profit. If you want just a plain house without any frills, it can be done for less than Rs. 900 per square foot, even today.

So what is the great thing about this so-called "innovation"? This article seems like total hype, with no practical utility at all.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
You cannot keep going horizontal. Not enough land.
No No..that I am not asking....I am asking why gov do not think of building tall buildings which can accomodate more families? Here I see they are building some G+3 blocks to rehabiliate some slums....why not more than G+3?

If Government acquire any slum (which is originally gov land only) , it can build few tall blocks (say G+10) to house all families ; still it will have spare land which can be used for commercial purposes to recover some cost of the project plus other aminities for the people..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Good idea......................................................

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No No..that I am not asking....I am asking why gov do not think of building tall buildings which can accomodate more families? Here I see they are building some G+3 blocks to rehabiliate some slums....why not more than G+3?

If Government acquire any slum (which is originally gov land only) , it can build few tall blocks (say G+10) to house all families ; still it will have spare land which can be used for commercial purposes to recover some cost of the project plus other aminities for the people..
This prefab tech doesn't allow to go up too high unless technology starts allowing us to. Going high requires all kinds of certification and most of all fire safety

Global Defence

New threads

Articles