Writing posts, blogs and articles - some tips!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Could you post it larger.

Can't read the fine print.

H.A.

Could you please include power-point presentations in the topic.

Also i wanted to know how / where from, do professionals get the images for amazing power-point presentations. Any help on this.

pmaitra

^^

Definitely. In fact, you are more than welcome to post in this thread. This is open to all. Just go ahead and write posts on how to make good PowerPoint presentations. :)

Also, if I find something, I will add as well.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Good stuff. :)

I recently gave a copy of Strunk & White's Elements of Style to my youngest child, who is still in high school. I cannot think of a better reference on the subject.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Great stuff, dude. And the pictorial representation makes reading all this, a fun thing to do.

pmaitra

Poor Arguments:

I've been thinking about this in the past couple of days, as I sit in my lectures and listen to the people who disagree with fairly reasonable evidence, or as I attend study sessions and certain topics come up.

So here I present to you the two worst ways to start an argument against something you disagree with.

A. This one pertains specifically to Evolution. I will also tell you that this argument is worse than using your religion in a way to deny other people the right to explore scientific theory.

"Well, I just don't like the feeling of us being descended from monkeys."

I'm sorry. This is just not an argument. The religion thing I understand. If you believe that humans were set on this planet in their form by God to continue procreating, that's your business and you know what? I'm not going to tell you "no you're wrong and you're a terrible human being for believing that." But let me tell you, deary, science does not care how you feel about what it presents to you.

In addition, we're not descended from monkeys. We share a common ancestor through a very long and complicated process. If you want something to feel uncomfortable about being descended from, try bacteria.

B. This one is the bigger one that I dislike and I hear all the time when I'm sitting in class. It irritates me not just because it often is paired with a statement that is either a completely obvious fact or that has no actual evidence to support it.

"Well, my teacher said"¦"

The general layout of these statements is usually: My teacher in another class that shares little expertise on this subject or is only concerned with expertise in this subject up to a certain level told me this statement that I am now presenting to you as fact despite your countless number of years of research that allows you to present evidence against this statement.

This statement is usually also followed by a particular kind of sigh, snort, rolling of the eyes or offhand remark once their statement has been disproved.

Exhibit 1: "Well, I just read this book in high school—which was last year—and my teacher told me that this was _____ " (Concerning a question concerning the context of the time the book was written and if this had an impact)

Exhibit 2: "Well, my art history teacher told me that those were actually for ____ purposes" (Concerning an archaeological discussion about the purpose of the Venus Figurines, complete with the presentation of "well this is one group's view and this is why they think so. Later following: "Well, that's 'cause they're crazy.")

I don't mean to come off as arrogant or anything in this post. I've just discovered in the past week that this is becoming a huge pet peeve of mine. Really, I don't mind differing views and opinions. I just want you to be able to explain them without regurgitating somebody else's conclusion that wasn't explained to you in full.

Source: bad ways to debate | Tumblr

pmaitra

So what is a debate?
A debate involves a discussion of the pros and cons of an issue. Debating successfully is all about using argument and persuasion to convince other people that your views are right.

6 steps to debating perfection

1. Research: Research the subject, so that you have facts to back up your views. It helps to validate your answer so it becomes more than just your opinion.
  2. Logic: Use logic to develop your case and make your points. Lead each point on from what you were previously saying. That way you build up a story and expand your answer.
  3. Counter arguments: It's always good to be prepared so consider the counter arguments in advance. That way the other side can't catch you out and you're always prepared.
  4. Keep an open mind: Be open minded and prepared to change your opinion if you the other side convinces you your argument is flawed.
  5. Don't get personal: In the heat of a debate it's easy to lose your cool and attack the other person for having a different opinion to you. But remember they're entitled to that opinion and just because they don't think the same as you it's not a bad thing.
  6. Stay Focused: Stick to the subject being debated and don't stray into other areas. It sounds obvious but it's easy to do once you start debating.

Source: BBC - Student Life - Debating skills

ejazr

Ambassador
Nice work pmaitra, hope this becomes a well read sticky for all members. I know I did learn a few things.

The use of the word "literally" was quite hilarious especially the quote on the gay steamroller which will take over America :D

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
What a fine thread this one is! Never bumped in before here, have it book marked now. Thanks for creating it.

pmaitra

Thank you gentlemen! I am glad you liked it. I enjoyed creating this thread as well.

ashdoc

Country flag
nice thread---will help me write my movie reviews :thumb:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Hey! Nice thread @pmaitra

As a Business English trainer a few years back, I had long hours of dealing with these stuff!

I still might have tons of materials stored in some sector of my HDD

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Re: Chit Chat thread

@pmaitra would love this!

[video=youtube_share;8Gv0H-vPoDc]http://youtu.be/8Gv0H-vPoDc[/video]

pmaitra

Good find @arnabmit. Thanks for sharing. I have moved it where appropriate.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles