Would India lease a naval base to USA in the Indian Ocean??

Country flag
That's nothing compared to when India is already anointed as the master of South Asia. By then there will be countless civfanatics complaining everyday about how their miserable lives are the result of India's dominance...
India has no intentions of bullying it's neighbors. this is not a proper measure,you will not get articles like this unlike China India has no hegemonistic or expansionist policies. But a fleet of nuclear submarines being built will ensure India will always dominate the Indian ocean.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
That's nothing compared to when India is already anointed as the master of South Asia. By then there will be countless civfanatics complaining everyday about how their miserable lives are the result of India's dominance...
Bullying other countries like how? India has best relations with smaller countries like Bhutan, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Maldives. Bangladesh is independant because of India. Back in 1971, India could have taken over East Pakistan, but they did not.
As for "dominating" South Asia, for a country with 6 times the population of it's next largest neighbor, 4 times the size, 10 times the economy and 3 times the military might, India does very little "bullying" - compared to that China, USA, Russia etc are FAR FAR bigger bullies in their backyard.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Their lives are already miserable even without India's dominance. We should aim at India aiming for mutual free trade and economic cooperation in South Asia. This way, smaller countries like Bangladesh and Sri Lanka can actively benefit from the powerhouse of South Asia (India), and will be less inclined to align with China or other major powers. Basically, I'm hoping for a US-Canada-style relationship with other South Asian countries (minus Pakistan obviously). A combined stick-and-carrot policy is usually the most effective, where the carrot is economic incentive and the stick India's military.

Of course, this "model South Asia" is not possible if Pakistan is still around. We must first focus on destabilising and balkanizing Pakistan, and only then can SAARC become an effective medium to assert India's regional dominance.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Their lives are already miserable even without India's dominance. We should aim at India aiming for mutual free trade and economic cooperation in South Asia. This way, smaller countries like Bangladesh and Sri Lanka can actively benefit from the powerhouse of South Asia (India), and will be less inclined to align with China or other major powers. Basically, I'm hoping for a US-Canada-style relationship with other South Asian countries (minus Pakistan obviously). A combined stick-and-carrot policy is usually the most effective, where the carrot is economic incentive and the stick India's military.

Of course, this "model South Asia" is not possible if Pakistan is still around. We must first focus on destabilising and balkanizing Pakistan, and only then can SAARC become an effective medium to assert India's regional dominance.
LOL! Even now some of the neighbors are already complaining about how India is muscling them in the textile industry (they're also complaining against China). This is only a starter more will come when India is already civfanatic's absolute master of the South...

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
LOL! Even now some of the neighbors are already complaining about how India is muscling them in the textile industry (they're also complaining against China). This is only a starter more will come when India is already civfanatic's absolute master of the South...
Indeed.

I heard Indians are treated like animals in Malaysia. Maybe one day we can "liberate" them.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
With almost 2 billion population India will certainly make the welfare of its citizens the top priority over its smaller neighbors. India will be just as hated as any other ruling power that's just the nature of things in international politics..

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Indeed.

I heard Indians are treated like animals in Malaysia. Maybe one day we can "liberate" them.
Wonder why they don't want to go back to India if they're treated like animals? Wonder why you're sucking it up with the Americans in America is that behemoth is pure evil to the outside world?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Wonder why they don't want to go back to India if they're treated like animals? Wonder why you're sucking it up with the Americans in America is that behemoth is pure evil to the outside world?
Many of them like "mattster" leave the country when they have the chance. Those that don't have to suffer under "Ketuanan Melayu" and Malay chauvinism.

America is a great country... for those who live there. I believe we have already been through that.

What I find ironic is that Malays treat Indians so horribly, when the very name Melayu and Malaysia is derived from the Sanskrit term Malaydvipa, meaning "Mountainous Land". If you're going to adopt a foreign term to describe your race and nation, you should at least treat those foreigners with some respect. Especially considering Malaysia had no civilization or culture whatsoever before Indian contact.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Many of them like "mattster" leave the country when they have the chance. Those that don't have to suffer under "Ketuanan Melayu" and Malay chauvinism.

America is a great country... for those who live there. I believe we have already been through that.

What I find ironic is that Malays treat Indians so horribly, when the very name Melayu and Malaysia is derived from the Sanskrit term Malaydvipa, meaning "Mountainous Land". If you're going to adopt a foreign term to describe your race and nation, you should at least treat those foreigners with some respect. Especially considering Malaysia had no civilization or culture whatsoever before Indian contact.
Malays have their shortcomings too but I'm not ethnically one of them. But your anti-Indian claim is too overblown. Indians are pretty satisfied to live in Malaysia.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Malays have their shortcomings too but I'm not ethnically one of them.
Then what are you?

But your anti-Indian claim is too overblown. Indians are pretty satisfied to live in Malaysia.
Pardon me if I don't believe you. Especially with reports like these being far too common: MALAYSIA: The nightmare of Indian IT professionals.

It seems to me that Malaysia is essentially an ethnocentric police state operating under the guise of democracy.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Then what are you?.
I think you're knowledge about the ethnic make up of Malaysia is very shallow. Although Malaysia is named as such its not actually a homogenous country as its name suggests.

Pardon me if I don't believe you. Especially with reports like these being far too common: MALAYSIA: The nightmare of Indian IT professionals.

It seems to me that Malaysia is essentially an ethnocentric police state operating under the guise of democracy.
I think since you haven't studied Malaysia very well your criticisms should be reserved to a much later date.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Not in particular. I haven't read that article. But where have you been all this time? You mean you don't know how Bangladeshi garment manufacturer's are grumbling about how India and China are dumping cheap garments into the World market? This is already old news...
p.s.

India is just like any other power, it must prioritize its own people first. All this talk about fairness in foreign relations is all hot air. The fact is that national interests are almost always at odds. India with its balloning population and industry will be demanding more and more share in the World's resources. This need will not always go down well with other countries, especially those where India will get its resources from. There will always be comments about exploitation or unfairness, etc. Why? Because India will always prioritise its own welfare over any other country/people. No sane Indian politician will ever prioritise the welfare of Bangladeshi's over the welfare of Indians. For India, like all the rest, it's always how it can maximise benefits for itself and its people? Would any Indian suggest India do otherwise?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I think you're knowledge about the ethnic make up of Malaysia is very shallow. Although Malaysia is named as such its not actually a homogenous country as its name suggests.
Malaysia is about one-half Malay, one-quarter Chinese, and the rest are Indians, aboriginals, and other minorities.

Is that about right?

I think since you haven't studied Malaysia very well your criticisms should be reserved to a much later date.
Guy, I didn't know nor care about how Indians were treated in Malaysia until I read mattster's rants about life there for minorities. I suggest you go talk to him about it.

There's nothing wrong in admitting that your country is an ethnocentric pseudo-democracy with institutionalised racism.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Let me clarify what I said about Malaysia. It's not South Africa under apartheid. Nor are people being deprived of their most basic human rights. Having said that - it does practice a form of institutionalized racism.

But more importantly - the sad part of the Malaysian story is not so much about what the government does or does not do for the minorities, the sad part is that it is a country where all peoples have become hyper polarized about race and religion.

It is a country that is losing it's way by forgetting that it's multiple-racial composition is it's biggest asset and not it's biggest liability. Malaysia probably has more potential than any other ASEAN country but they have pissed a lot of it away.

It also has a lot in common with India in that it's who you know that counts more than what you know. The fastest way to become filthy rich in Malaysia Is to become a politician or get connected with one.

It's a great place to eat, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Let me clarify what I said about Malaysia. It's not South Africa under apartheid. Nor are people being deprived of their most basic human rights. Having said that - it does practice a form of institutionalized racism.

But more importantly - the sad part of the Malaysian story is not so much about what the government does or does not do for the minorities, the sad part is that it is a country where all peoples have become hyper polarized about race and religion.

It is a country that is losing it's way by forgetting that it's multiple-racial composition is it's biggest asset and not it's biggest liability. Malaysia probably has more potential than any other ASEAN country but they have pissed a lot of it away.

It also has a lot in common with India in that it's who you know that counts more than what you know. The fastest way to become filthy rich in Malaysia Is to become a politician or get connected with one.

It's a great place to eat, but I wouldn't want to live there.
To be honest with you, The US is a great place but I wouldn't want to live there either. I can go back there to visit again my relatives but that's about it.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
There's nothing wrong in admitting that your country is an ethnocentric pseudo-democracy with institutionalised racism.
We were taught that the need to prioritise the Malays is necessary to maintain the country's relative social peace. When the majority is all secured (at least perception-wise) there is less grumblings about the apparent economic success of minorities like the ethnic Chinese. Had Dr. not instituted his radical Malay-first agenda Chinese businesses would have been burned down a long time ago.

While we're at this topic, the following article is a thought-provoking read:

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/h_caste.asp

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
BTW, the above-mentioned article should apply to at least 80% of Indians.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles