Would India lease a naval base to USA in the Indian Ocean??

Country flag
i.e when it comes to big guns, Agni V , Brahmos and nukes are weapons which more or less prevent war, my point is , India is capable of defending itself and we do not need to lease any bases to the U.S.
This is not a question of India's capability but preparation, there will be a conflict with China in the future it is inevitable and all everyone knows an alliance will be needed not just with USA but Russia and others.

Country flag
Giving a base to USN will be suicidal in terms of INDIA-RUSSIA relationship ...Better option to check PLAN SSBNs and SSNs would be installing listening ports in ANDAMAN and MALDIVES and developing a full fledged Naval Base from where E-2D , P-8I ,Tu-142 and some Su-30 can be operated ...
But for a really credible naval force A fleet of SSNs is required which our govt. seems to have totally ignored.
JHA I agree with you but do we have a decade or more for these things to happen?? So far no SCORPENES and no KILOS have arrived after signing almost a decade ago.

Rebelkid

This is not a question of India's capability but preparation, there will be a conflict with China in the future it is inevitable and all everyone knows an alliance will be needed not just with USA but Russia and others.
It won't be easy to play Russia and U.S card together, Yes, we definitly would need allies but leasing a base for US is extending it, even though it would give us considerable deterrence..

Country flag
Being exploited by one side just so one could fight another is nothing else but a sign of weakness. India can't hope to become a great power (let alone a superpower) if she does the same things little countries have to do.
LETHALFORCE, do you actually support the idea that India should call for a US naval base just so US can fight a battle India obviously can't?

Yes! One moment India wants to become a superpower, the other it wants to call for big boys to protect it?! This lease thing is in contradiction with Indian interests...
Versusall odds India needs to become a regional power first so far we have issues within the region where China has taken an adverserial position.

VersusAllOdds

Versusall odds India needs to become a regional power first so far we have issues within the region where China has taken an adverserial position.
Well, region power will be India's limit if it sides with both US and Russia. Great powers don't side with anyone - other countries only side with them.

As for conflict with China being "imminent"... You are quite optimistic about India's prospects to gather allies for that particular conflict. Are you sure US and Russia would both support India?

Rebelkid

I don't agree that India and china will have a conflict..I mean we might but am not certain we will have a conflict. don't believe the media , half of what they say is BS and over dramatizing everything. the only person who predicted a war was Bharat Sharma(Indian version of Zaid Hamid)

JHA

JHA I agree with you but do we have a decade or more for these things to happen?? So far no SCORPENES and no KILOS have arrived after signing almost a decade ago.
Thats the way things work in India unfortunately.. But in next coming decade we will be adding some well needed teeth to IN..We will be inducting some SSKs (around 6-7 ), two carriers some SSBNs and some frigates and destroyers...
Anyways we are not going to fight with PLAN tomorrow. Even if we allow USN to dock they will take atleast 10 years to form a base...

Call me paranoid but I would rather have a russian Naval base in IOR instead of USN

Country flag
Thats the way things work in India unfortunately.. But in next coming decade we will be adding some well needed teeth to IN..We will be inducting some SSKs (around 6-7 ), two carriers some SSBNs and some frigates and destroyers...
Anyways we are not going to fight with PLAN tomorrow. Even if we allow USN to dock they will take atleast 10 years to form a base...

Call me paranoid but I would rather have a russian Naval base in IOR instead of USN
I started that thread last year, that is something I never understood with the cold war alliance why we never gave Russia a base??

Country flag
Well, region power will be India's limit if it sides with both US and Russia. Great powers don't side with anyone - other countries only side with them.

As for conflict with China being "imminent"... You are quite optimistic about India's prospects to gather allies for that particular conflict. Are you sure US and Russia would both support India?
USA would to maintain ther hegemony, Russia would for the simple reason in Asia after India it is their turn China will pillage siberia and Central Asia.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
How is leasing a naval base to the US going to prepare India for war? China won't attack from the sea, they will attack from their own borders. Pissing off Russia is the last thing you want and US naval base would do exactly that.

Country flag
I don't agree that India and china will have a conflict..I mean we might but am not certain we will have a conflict. don't believe the media , half of what they say is BS and over dramatizing everything. the only person who predicted a war was Bharat Sharma(Indian version of Zaid Hamid)
I hope you are right but remember all territorial issues were supposed to have been resolved by Vajpayee and in reality they are worst now.

Country flag
How is leasing a naval base to the US going to prepare India for war? China won't attack from the sea, they will attack from their own borders. Pissing off Russia is the last thing you want and US naval base would do exactly that.
This is the biggest issue that would prevent this from happening, it is something which I don't think Indian Govt would ever do.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I started that thread last year, that is something I never understood with the cold war alliance why we never gave Russia a base??

Maybe Indians will never digest the idea of aligning with any power & moreover the very argument of Independence was that 'India' can be 'Self-sufficient' so it doesn't need anyone's help to address the Indian needs (even military).

Also allowing Military base to any power like Russia or US when there is yet no potential threat to Indian interest will be considered as 'War-tempting' stand of GOI by Indians & the present Govt will fall down.

Last edited:
Country flag
Maybe Indians will never digest the idea of aligning with any power & moreover the very argument of Independence was that 'India' can be self-sufficient
so doesn't need anyone's help to address the Indian needs.

Also allowing Military base to any power like Russia or US when there is yet no potential threat to Indian interest will be considered as 'War-tempting' stand of GOI by Indians & the present Govt will fall down.
This is a hypothetical scenario. If India didn't give Russia military access during the cold war I don't think India will ever do this.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The goal of India is to become independent, that is why they do not align with any power. Unfortunately DRDO has not been able to speed that process along.

Country flag
DRDO had to deal with sanctions and technology denial for decades ,considering all this DRDO has done ok.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
This is a hypothetical scenario. If India didn't give Russia military access during the cold war I don't think India will ever do this.
Agreed. India won't give military access to any power. PRC threat will be neutralized in some other means including Indian Armed forces & global diplomacy.

JHA

IF we need some assistance in terms of technology, we will get it. We are getting top of the line tech. from US even now. (P-8I bought, E-2D and F-35 proposed..) And i have no doubt that in future if we need assistance in establishing deep listening ports , we will have best to chose from both Russia and US.. Who knows we may even see some AEGIS destroyers in IN inventory in future. Its just a matter of time and we will have a lot of choices in front of us.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
As I see it, there is no gap right now in the indian navy vis a vis china and protecting indian interests particularly because of our location. And india is already steadily building its navy up with some good weapons systems.

India and US can have bearthing agreement , the one that the US has been asking for a long time now. The US would not want a base in india as it already has DG which is free from any diplomatic or political pressure. So if this bearthing thing can be worked out which itself is a major political decision for india then its Ok... I think getting a US naval base in india will not pass in the parliament.

Neil

Country flag
i think the real question is would US want a base in India...??i mean they have a huge naval base right in are backyard- strategically located and easy access to the gulf and Malacca straight....then why create such a fuss in India....??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles