Would IAF have worked to induct 80-120 Tejas mk-1 if no MRCA alias MMRCA program

If MMRCA program is dropped, will tejas mk-1 be given life with 80-120 more orders?

• Total voters

icecoolben

our leaders may be corrupted but i dont think they are going to put our country in danger and with this deal we got some liverage on west.
What leverage has banana republic Saudi Arabia had over USA, it just signed $ 60 billion in arms deals this year. It is pressured over human rights, cannot go nuclear, have to pump up supply when price of oil raise. The one holding the gun is the seller, not the one with the wallet.

saudi Arabia has kept weapons manufacturers in Europe and USA afloat for decades, what have they to show for? a third rate power desperately trying to balance USA with China. Corruptin plagues India becos we never dare to question excesses, just like u can't question the Saudi monarchs.

Turkey has been a staunch NATO supporter and US ally for 60 years, but its been branded islamic and cannot be trusted. USA coudn't get it into EU, thats the understanding western alliance shares. Turkey has now decided to go for its own low tech national fighter, after years of licence manufacturing F-16 and being an F-35 partner. Turkey went to war with Greece recently its security its as fragile as our own.

Western corporates may compete for weapons sales in India but their governments would embrace each other if we turned not amiable to their interests. Take the example of the falklands war between Argentina and UK. French exocet missiles sunk a british ship, the british pressured the french to part with souce codes and other necessary details of the missile. Never again an exocet hit any british ships, same goes for the super entenard in argentinean service that flopped against British Harriers, since Harrier pilots were given training by french how to take out super entenard using evasive manouvers.

The Europeons are itching to resume arms sales to china and guess what france is leading the charge. If that ever happens, its doomsday for those very costly 126 Indian Fighter jets.They would be sitting ducks for chinese EW systems.

In Tejas prgramme itself we saw, We were already bound regarding various sub systems components to USA, Israel and EU. Since IPR of fighter is with India we can change them to Indain systems when our own indigenous alternatives catch up with imported quality, we can never do that any of such replacements regarding these 126 jets, their components would be specific to them and cannot be used for other programs. they would be a drag on IAF infrastructure, MOD officials for next 50 years.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
If MMRCA is dropped, both LCA and MKI orders will have to be increased. There isn't any way around it unless IAF wants to be a third rate power.

icecoolben

If MMRCA is dropped, both LCA and MKI orders will have to be increased. There isn't any way around it unless IAF wants to be a third rate power.
Su-30 were initially configured for 8 per year, now they are going at 26 an year. some are assembled from completely knocked down kits from Russia, Some are indigenously built completely by HAL and others are amalgamation of outsourced components within India and few from Russia assembled by HAL.

LCA Tejas in its development was configured to have a production rate of 20 per annum, just as Rafale was configured for 50 per annum. Only thing holding back the plane from going production full throttle is lack of orders. HAL has schedulled an average rate of 10 per annum spread accross 4 years 8 each in 11,12 and 12 each in 13,14. IAF hasn't ordered the second squadron yet and this saga has been going on since 2006. How do u expect HAL to ramp up production without orders?

IAF is no power of its own its an extension of the might of the republic of India, a strong India is capable of grooming IAF into a strong force in its own right, But a bloated IAF is just a drag on the Tax payer. India still is a part of third world so we shouldn't mind IAF settling for low cost less than first world fighter Jets.

vijay jagannathan

before the MRCA decision is made I wish someone would file an Right of Information regarding Tejas and Kaveri performance parameters(wait till LSP -6 hits the sky and then file it). I don't know why some guys on this forum keep comparing LCA with MRCA.

LCA will replace mig 21 interceptors and MRCA is intended to replace the other Mig variants and Jaguar.

Still if all else had been well and I had the 10 billion dollars I would have made the money talk : roped in the best technical minds to get the Kaveri going with the required thrust and engine blade tech, built the AESA and done these 2 in a time frame of not exceeding 5 years( from 2007 when Kaveri was delinked). I mean these projects need to be given the status of national importance and create a dedicated cadre with high pay scales ---higher than the western defence industry. Now to be honest what is the ADA scientist or Engineer getting. Lets be thankful they built a plane that flies and an engine that turns. Its perhaps their passion that keeps them going. Aggresiveness has to be first shown at this stage and then translate it to the battlefiled but sadly it is lacking at the initial stage.

In this day and age when India chooses to pour the money into some one else's lap instead of holding on to it and making it talk we all know the reasons behind it--- o babu---o babu when will you learn to be a sadhu.

ashicjose

sir icecool dont compare saudi with india ,we can say it (and GCC) a 20th century colony.

icecoolben

sir icecool dont compare saudi with india ,we can say it (and GCC) a 20th century colony.
Give me good reason and analysis why I shouldn't equate saudi arabia's present policy of buying weapons in exchange for US protection to India buying the same for political clout, which by all means is dependence on the seller's view of us for the next 40 years.

@achielles
Our currency is no better than toilet paper, if we don't have manufactured products that are in demand by the world. When we import too much our national debt goes up above our reserves. There are serious consequences for such folly. Check on previous page where I had arrived at MMRCA cost to be $ 27 billion over 2017. Thats not an overestimate if u see Saudi Deal for Eurofighter which ran into $ 141 million per piece, including weapons and training.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5262120.stm

Saudi Arabia has oil&gas to last till 2050,2100 respectively. For the time being India has services, if we cannot diversify into high technology aerospace ventures, the economy will stagnate and we won't be able to import spares for these 126 jets. Then How will the Air Forces gaurd our country, Taxing the Jets on runways?

Illusive

Country flag
@ Icecool

we all want India to go indigenous rapidly, but there has to be a balance. Agreed currently it more in the favour of imports but its changing. The way you say what threat do our neighbor posses is actually underestimating them. You know we still have to develop a jet engine, Kaveri is the process but it takes time by going completely indigenous. MRCA is lot more than just a fighter aircraft deal you understand that. Look we can go China way by reverse engineering or stealing info, or take help gain knowlege, gain international support and develop ingeniously faster. If your saying by going completely ourself is going to take time. Thats why we have these joint projects with Russia.

Wasting tax payers money and national security issue are important things, but if i had to choose i'd go with latter. We don't need to work hard, we have to work smart to go indigenous.

icecoolben

@ GOD

I know people who get interested in defence are hard core nationalists and value national security above everything else, just like George W Bush. He took a super power on a downward spiral to mediocrity, just like warmongerers in India will take her down the path of failure Pakistan. It was certainly heartening to see that pakistani article asking that nation to wake up from its India obsession, just as I wish IAF babus can have a broder view on what actually gives them true strength against an adversary.

HereS a comment I found on Livefist on FGFA article by an IAF officer
A disappointing article from the officer. Reading his article, I wondered if the IAF is the Indian Air Force or the air force of some other third country that happens to be, to his great misfortune, hosted in India and tasked with defending us lowly Indians.

The article reflects a profound lack of faith in indigenous R&D capabilities. Perhaps DRDO/HAL's track record has a lot to do with it too. But what is more serious is the officer's condescending attitude towards the nation's defense industry that seems endemic and systemic in the IAF, if you read between the lines.
<b> How very true?</b>

The IAF thinks its better off inviting a bunch of OEMs ask them to exhibit their stuff, let them chase after them for 5 or more years. select a smaller bunch, initiate negotiations with everyone for extra goodies, withhold the decision till they offer someone pushes down with pressure from MOD(most likely from embassy of OEM country) allegations of kickbacks(though it would have happened all along the way from start of RFP) and select an obsolete platform to maintain for 40 years. This exactly happened when we chose Jaguar for deep-strike operation. They never want to do the hard work to get a state of art product.

icecoolben

The reason why MMRCA is looking so blurry right now is because IAF seems to be retiring jets faster than inducting any new ones. Except for the heavy sector, all the rest are in shambles. Unless and until the decision comes out in March 2011, we cannot say for sure. As must as I would hate to say this, the possible winner is F/A-18 since some reports cited "TOT problems" which only American companies can have as all others are bending backwards for tech transfer for the deal. I pray hope I am wrong here through.
IAF to achieve 34 fighter squadron strength by 2017

http://www.equitybulls.com/admin/news2006/news_det.asp?id=45847

We will be retiring unupgraded 80 mig-21, unupgraded 30 soviet supplied mig-27 and first 50 british supplied jaguars. Essentially 160 aircraft are retiring.

We have 130 Su-30 now, So 140 more to be produced to reach 270 for 15 squadrons, 140 jaguars upgraded will make up 7 squadrons, 140 upgraded Mig-27 will make up 7 more and 120 mig-21 bison will make up 6 squadrons. Totalling 35 squadrons, The MMRCA doesn't have any Space to squeeze in till 2017. Even the LCA has been a bonus of 2 squadrons, from this we can see the airforce doesn't have a plan for LCA Tejas or MMRCA at all. The institution is full of ad hocism and it shows no signs of redemption.

The phase of Fifth generation commences with FGFA

http://www.india-defence.com/reports-4230

Indian Air Force Targets 42 Squadrons Strength by 2022
Indian Air Force Targets 42 Squadrons Strength by 2022 2009-02-18 Defence Minister A K Antony today said that by the end of the 13th Plan period, Indian Air Force's combat fleet would be of 42 squadrons, which is more than the strength sanctioned by the Government.

"During the period 2007-2022, the strength at the end of 11th, 12th and 13th Plan periods is expected to increase to 35.5, 35 and 42 squadrons respectively," Antony said in a written reply to a query in Rajya Sabha. Government has sanctioned the IAF to have a total of 39.5 squadrons of fighter aircraft.

He said that the air force will reach the peak of strength with the induction of Su-30 MKIs, Jaguars, Medium Multi-role Combat Aircraft (M-MRCA), Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) and the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA). Antony said at the beginning of the 11th Plan period, the force had only 32 squadrons.

Defence Minister added that the the IAF was in the process of carrying out upgrades in its existing fleet of Mirage 2000, MiG 21, MiG 27, MiG 29 and Jaguar fighter aircraft and adding force multipliers such as the Airborne Early Warning and Control Systems (AWACS) and mid-air refueling aircraft.
  • From 2017, we will retire 120 mig-21 bison.
  • Planned from 2020 140 mig-27 , but I doubt it can withstand such extension, the replacement might start sooner by 2017.
  • Jaguar retirement starts by 2020

Essentially discounting the 140 Jaguars being put off till 2022, we have the airforce looking to replace 120 Mig-21 and atleast a 140 mig-27.

How many planes their plans afford for them to induct at hand? 100 LCA Tejas mk-2, MMRCA 126 and perhaps First 50 FGFA.

Thats Essentially 3 new platforms entering about the same time with established platforms leaving abruptly, they would progress about the same time, go to TACDE the same time, its not just a spare parts logistucs nightmare, the operational capability too would be seriously affected.
We must remember that 126 is a small number but each of these jets perform the functions of a MiG-27 and a MiG-29 combined in one platform--air and ground and with its latest tech, reduces the need for massive orders. Though I am pretty sure that IAF will take the order to 200 with its 74 optional buys. Russia would be least upset for losing out because 272 MKIs +250-300 PAKFA/FGFAs is in their bags already. Since we have discussed to death what we all want, I won't highlight that.
A combined Mig-27&mig-29 has already been combined with Su-30 MKI with the best results. Any new platform would necesarily be only a western duplicate equivalent or cheap inferior platform to Su-30 mki.

Reliance on sole source? Its not about Russia at all, if there was any war, Our Su-30 mki, would be supplied spares by HAL, as I see companies like Samtel entering the fray. By most accounts, after production ceases all the Spares and Support would be completely Indan. The missiles themselves R-77, Novator K-100 and most Russian weapons are manufactured in India. We will only bind ourselves if we go for Mig-35 with 60% TOT. Everyone is talking about TOT, the TOT necessorily revolves around Radar for source codes for strategic autonomy and Engine for HAL to learn Engine manufacturing, I'm not even going to comment on the 74+ because there is no more room for new old hags after 2022 in IAF 5th generation recruitment, except may be some middle aged Tejas mk-2 due to GOI/ADA/DRDO pressure.
In fact, worldwide MMRCAs are not going very fast either. Brazil has held its decision until next year; Switzerland is furiously debating on its 3 final contenders and kept it to last year; Austria is putting it on hold, Greece is still in the beginning stage etc. So I don't think we are the only ones slow here; also to consider that our order is the heaviest than all of these combined.
Why should we care about those far off nations fare in the Defence realm? Our security concerns are China with J-10 and J-11 and Pakistan with JF-17 and F-16. I don't have a clue about china, mostly the IAF doesn't do either. As far as I know pakistanis have planned for 150 more JF-17 jets, 36 J-10 and upto 100 F-16 by 2017. Thats about 286 combat Jets. Estimating that we need to field 39 squadrons against pakistan's 22. We should hvae fielded 507 4 gen combat planes, deducting 270 Su-30, 51 M2k and 69 mig-29 smt. We should have fielded 107 more planes. Now that we have bonus of 2 tejas mk-1 squadrons, the number of deficit is bought down by 67, Had the IAF made some sensible planes to induct 60 more LCA with perhaps levcons like naval version to improve turn rate or some technology from the existing twin-seater variant and naval variant, the next batch of 60 tejas could have held fort the attriction till 2017 before Tejas mk-2 arrives. But for whatever reason they they are always obliged for a foreign solution.

Like one IAF officer of very high rank admitted "For better or worse HAL is their Indian partner and they will work with them towoards end of mordernisation" This methodology has doomed them from the start and still they continue to prefer this route based on its maturity and trust. HAL defeintely serves to gain more than ADA from MMRCA, if there was no MMRCA some quick fix engineering work of Tejas mk-1 would have been assigned to ADA for bringing Tejas mk-1 to progressively to IAF standards by batches till mk-2 development is complete, but for HAL it would have to change tooling frequently to produce a low cost plane that doesn't necessarily reflect in its profit book; if MMRCA goes through for HAL, not only does it get more oders for a costly plane, it gets technology to build engines and the licence to brag about it in its website how they posses some state of art technology of western origin in its arsenal.

The way this acquisition is going only remains me of a suitable carollary " while the government/Bureaucrats are asleep on MMRCA files, the IAF f**** with LCA Tejas and the future Indian security scenario is in deep deep S*** "

I agree the IAF is losing combat jets to retirement fast and there are lapses in the air security blanket, But the MMRCA is not an apt solution to the emerging scenario.

icecoolben

LCA Tejas ready for new year blast

On our own wings

Tejas, India's first fighter aircraft, is combat ready. Here is the story of how it beat sceptics and sanctions

By Ramu Patil

Please do not allow the first flight of the Light Combat Aircraft to take place. The aircraft has not been developed with adequate rigour, and safety aspects have not been fully looked into. It would be a catastrophe if you allow it to fly.

This was the gist of a cable which landed on then defence minister George Fernandes's table in 2001. It came from a major US military aircraft manufacturer on January 3, a day before the maiden flight of the indigenously designed and developed Tejas.
Even in India, many people were sceptical about the success of the fighter project, which started way back in 1983. In the subsequent 27 years, countless work-hours and ?14,000 crore were spent on developing it. Justifiably, people wondered why India should invest so much on developing it when fighter aircraft were available off the shelf in the international market.

Fernandes, with supreme confidence in Team LCA, ignored the cable. The following morning the homegrown fighter, flown by Wing Commander Rajiv Kothiyal, soared into the clear Bangalore sky. "He [Fernandes] told us about the letter from the US only after the first flight was over," recalls Air Marshal (retired) Philip Rajkumar, head of the LCA flight test operations at that time and author of The Tejas Story: The Light Combat Aircraft Project.

But doubting Thomases sniggered. They said Tejas "flew somehow" and the real test for it would be to fly frequently and be part of the Indian Air Force. And exactly a decade after that historic first flight, the aircraft is now combat ready. The scientists at the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), the nodal agency for developing the fighter, and the test crew at the National Flight Test Centre (NFTC) are confident. "Missiles, practice bombs and drop tanks have all been integrated and tested successfully. It is a very potent weapon now,'' says P.S. Subramanyam, project director (combat aircraft) and director, ADA.

According to K. Tamilmani, chief executive, Centre for Military Airworthiness and Certification (CEMILAC), the LCA is ready for Initial Operational Clearance (IOC).
CEMILAC, which is part of the Defence Research Development Organisation, is the certifying agency for all military aircraft and airborne systems in India. It goes only by the demonstrated performance of the aircraft and systems to certify it. All major envelope requirements for the IOC have been completed and safety aspects proved, says Tamilmani. "Some small things that still need to be completed would be done soon," he says.

A few parameters like firing missiles through radar targeting will be done before getting the IOC and handing over the aircraft to the IAF, which has ordered 40 LCAs. Bangalore-based state-owned aircraft maker Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will start rolling out Tejas in the next few months.
Flying with the IAF would be a major milestone for this multi-mission tactical fighter capable of air combat, offensive air support and other combat missions. At the flight test stage, on an average, each aircraft does eight sorties per month, but in the operational squadrons, they will be flown almost every day. "It is a fully combat-ready aircraft that encompasses all features that the IAF wants,'' says Group Captain Suneet Krishna of the NFTC, who has been test flying the LCA and has been associated with the project for 10 years (see box). The NFTC pilots, from the IAF and the Navy, have so far completed 1,500 sorties, testing a number of parameters or test points.

"Tejas is so agile and so good that it sometimes surprises you," says NFTC Project Director Air Commodore Rohit Verma. The veteran pilot, who has flown the Russian MiGs and French Mirages, is in love with Tejas.
Like pilots, flight test engineers, too, played an important role. Sitting at the hi-tech Telemetry Centre at the end of the HAL airport's runway, they monitor the test flights. In fact, the test director always has a better situational awareness of the aircraft than its pilot. All through the flight, the director is in touch with the pilot, while a specialist monitors the crucial parameters in the aircraft.

Says retired wing commander P.K. Raveendran, group director (flight testing), NFTC: "Each test flight requires a lot of preparation and analysis. Soon after the flight there will be a 'hot debrief', the first impression of the flight by the pilot and test engineers. That will be followed by 'data debrief', where each aspect is discussed in detail so that corrective action can be taken in time." He has been associated with the project from 1995 and is heading the team of "back room boys and girls" assisting the project.

"Young boys and girls worked late in the night and would report to work again by 7 a.m. That also included a woman, who had a kid to take care of at home," says former ADA director Dr Kota Harinarayana. "When I asked her, she said: 'Sir, my mother-in-law has told me she will take care of the baby so that I can focus on the national project.'"
"Like any true patriot, I feel happy to be part of this project," says Devadatta Maharana, who integrated the complex Airborne Separation Video System that captures the trajectory of bombs and drop tanks dropped from the aircraft. The special cameras mounted on Tejas capture 1,000 frames per second. Though it sounds simple, analysing separation of missiles, bombs or drop tank is crucial as any slight deviation in separation, at a very high speed, can prove disastrous for the aircraft.

State-of-the-art technologies like fly-by-wire, digital flight control and all composite structures have made Tejas technologically superior to many IAF fighters. "The LCA is far superior to the upgraded MiG 21s. It will be as good as any fourth generation fighter,'' says Rajkumar, who has 5,200 flying hours on 75 different aircraft. It was Rajkumar who set up the NFTC in 1994.
Says Verma, "The LCA is a good bedrock for any future projects. The platform-neutral technology can be used for other platforms. After IOC, final operations clearance (FOC) would be a bit of challenge for us as we would be going in for a high angle of attack, more sensors, more weapons and big envelope. We will do FOC by the end of 2012."

Experts say Tejas is best suited for short duration missions, while heavier aircraft like the Sukhois can fly longer missions. But Sukhoi costs around ?240 crore($ 48 mil), and an upgraded Jaguar around ?300 crore($ 60 mil). Su-30MKI is one of the most capable flying machines in the IAF. However, the IAF cannot afford to have only those as they are very expensive and the operational costs are too heavy. The LCA, which is relatively less expensive—it costs around ?150($ 30 mil ) crore and, with the upgrades, can go up to ?200 crore—will fit into the light class of fighters. The IAF is acquiring 126 medium multi-role aircraft for $11 billion to strengthen its medium class fleet.

So far, a total of ?25,000 crore has been invested on the LCA project. "Of that, around ?14,000 was for development and rest of the money for making 40 aircraft," says Subramanyam. "If we look at 200 aircraft [for the IAF and the Navy], we will be getting business worth ?50,000 crore.''

Though the project is now on the right flight path, the going was tough a few years ago. "When we started, 999 out of 1,000 people did not believe us," says Kota, known as the Father of the LCA. Long before the LCA project was even born, he had done his Ph.D thesis on the 'Design of an air superior fighter for India', at IIT Bombay. It was to honour Kota's contribution to the project that his initials 'KH' were inscribed on the aircraft that made the maiden flight.

Kota and his team were very cautious in their approach. "We were willing to accept criticism on account of delays rather than putting the project in danger," says Kota. "We conducted many tests, more than what are normally done. The aircraft was ready to fly in 1999, but we took one full year to test and re-test before deciding to fly it in 2001." An unassuming person, Kota is now working on the Regional Transport Aircraft (RTA) project.

Bridging the technology gap, too, was a huge challenge. HAL, the only aircraft-maker in the country, had not done much after its Marut programme in the early 60s, and India was two decades behind developments in aviation. In aviation, they say, one needs to keep running to stay where you are. And India was not even walking!
Next was the difference of opinion between the IAF and DRDO. "The IAF was looking for an aircraft which would be on the frontline in 15 years or so," says Rajkumar, "while the aeronautical community felt that the technological gap had to be bridged by developing technologies like fly-by-wire, composite structures, and digital avionics. The IAF knew that it would take a long time to do this.''

After sitting on the fence all through the 80s, the IAF started supporting the project in the 90s. The project got a meaningful funding of ?2,188 crore in 1993. Then came the US sanctions after Pokhran nuclear tests in 1998. Many thought it to be the end of the fighter project as the US firms GE and Lockheed Martin, which were helping with engines and avionics, respectively, pulled out overnight. Says Shyam Chetty, head of flight mechanics and control division: "When sanctions were imposed, we were in the US working with Lockheed Martin. They immediately asked us to leave the country and did not even allow us to enter their campus to collect our equipment and papers. It took many years to get them back. Meanwhile, we had to start from scratch to develop flight control law (FCL), which was a very important part of the project. That was a big challenge.''

To tackle the crisis, then DRDO head A.P.J. Abdul Kalam formed national teams to develop the crucial technologies within India. "We took it as a challenge and worked day and night," says Kota. "We developed all the required systems before the sanctions were lifted."

The teams conquered complex technologies like composite materials, digital fly-by-wire system and glass cockpit and established various testing facilities. Says National Aerospace Laboratory Director A.R. Upadhyay: "In my 18 years of association with the LCA project, I have become a better aerospace professional. Technologies like FCL and carbon fibre composites developed at NAL are helping many programmes including our Saras, a 14-seater aircraft, and also the RTA project."

A.K. Sood, RTA project adviser and former chief designer at HAL, has the same opinion. "The technology and expertise we developed for the LCA were used for conducting full aircraft vibration tests on Sukhoi and for vibration tests on external stores on Mirage 2000. That reduced our dependency on the foreign aircraft makers," he says.
But the ambition to develop a complex jet engine and equally difficult Multi-Mode Radar (MMR) led to delays. Even now, Tejas flies with a US-made engine and an Israeli radar.
Says Rajkumar: "It was an absurd managerial decision to give the task of developing a jet engine to GTRE [Gas Turbine Research Establishment] and radar development to HAL Hyderabad. They never had any experience of doing such complex work. The only organisation that could have developed the radar was LRDE [Electronics and Radar Development Establishment] and the HAL Engine Division in Bangalore, which had the experience of developing engines. Today, with the benefit of hindsight, we can say the decisions were wrong, though we cannot blame anyone."

The LCA Mark I that is now ready for IOC will fly with GE 404 IN20 engines while Mark II, the first flight of which is likely to be in December 2014, will fly with the more powerful GE 414 engines. Mark II will have a retractable fuel system and will improve on all deficiencies noticed in the former.

Lack of adequately trained workforce was also a problem. Says Rajkumar: "When the IJT [Intermediate Jet Trainer] project was taken up by HAL, the manpower got split. That had an adverse effect on the progress of the LCA project.''
But a transparent working system helped the project. Everyone in the ADA, IAF and airworthiness teams knew what the challenges were. "The system was so transparent that I used to joke that the LCA project was like a cabaret artiste without a G-string. It was totally transparent. There was nothing hidden,'' says Kota, with a hearty laugh.

Looking back at the long development period, Wing Comander Ajey Lele of Institute of Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA), New Delhi, says: "It was possible to complete the project a little earlier, but one must understand that developing aircraft is not a simple job. The criticism was very harsh, as if we were manufacturing something like a mobile phone.''

Fighter development projects take a lot of time. The development of European fighters took 25 years and the F22 Raptor of the US was a Cold War era project. "If it took over two decades for the US to develop the F22, India, too, will take time,'' Lele says.
The process of developing a fighter helped private industry as well. Says Ashok Saxena, MD, Navvavia Technologies Private Limited: "Small and medium enterprises played a major role in the production of test equipment and components. Those companies are now getting business from many foreign firms looking for good quality, low-cost outsourcing for their own programmes." Saxena was managing director of HAL Bangalore Complex and was closely associated with the LCA project.

HAL will find it a challenge to meet production requirements. It will have to produce around 200 LCAs for the IAF and the Navy in the coming years. As of now, it is capable of making only eight aircraft a year and is planning to increase the capacity to 12. Which means, it requires nearly 18 years to make 200 fighters. Neither the IAF nor the Navy can wait that long.

http://week.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bin/MMOnline.dll/portal/ep/theWeekContent.do?BV_ID=@@@&contentType=EDITORIAL&sectionName=TheWeek%20COVER%20STORY&programId=1073755753&contentId=8548495
Tejas is a pilot's aircraft

COCKPIT VIEW

Group Captain Suneet Krishna, a veteran who has flown MiG 27s and Mirages, has been associated with the LCA project since 2000, a year before the first aircraft took to skies. He has seen Tejas taking shape, growing from a mere flying machine to combat-ready fighter. He has flown Tejas extensively and loves it. "The good thing about Tejas is that it's a pilots' aircraft. It has been designed by the pilots and for the pilots," he says.

According to Krishna, Tejas has improved a lot over the years. "In 2001, when we made the first flight, there were a lot of doubts among people and the scientific community. Even the IAF was a little sceptical. But over the years, we have flown 1,500 sorties. The aircraft has been doing well and we have achieved most of the targets we had set for ourselves. It has improved a lot," he says.

On how it compares with the MiGs, Krishna says Tejas is a well balanced aircraft, capable of fulfilling the roles for which it has been designed and developed. "It has state-of-the-art technology and we can keep improving on it as Tejas is going to be there for many years," says Krishna. "We can keep adding or modifying it as per our requirements. The good thing is that the technology is in our hands and we do not have to depend on anyone else."

Does anything need to be improved? "Whatever was needed has been improved as of now," says Krishna. "First, we demonstrated and proved the technology and then, the first 200 flights proved our capability to develop advanced flight control systems and integrate modern avionics and other technologies. We have now developed an aircraft as per the IAF requirement, and it is almost ready for induction. It is a complete combat-ready aircraft. It can go into a combat and demonstrate its capabilities."

http://week.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bin/MMOnline.dll/portal/ep/theWeekContent.do?BV_ID=@@@&contentType=EDITORIAL&sectionName=TheWeek%20COVER%20STORY&programId=1073755753&contentId=8548496
For once even the Indian opposition hasn't demanded JPC on this,

Though I believe, every Prime minister starting from Rajiv Gandi to the present defence minister A K Antony supported the project to the hilt, a bias on part of the malayalee editor can't be ignored

Antony tilted the balance in favour of the LCA

He wears a Henry Sandoz, a self-winding wrist-watch purchased when he got a Rs:750 scholarship in school in the early 60s, and he loves to drive his 25-year-old Fiat. P.S. Subramanyam, project director (combat aircraft) and director of Aeronautical Development Agency, has never felt the need to change the watch and the car that are close to his heart. But on the work front, he is heading projects that are evolving to keep pace with the global technological advancements. He spoke to THE WEEK about the LCA project. Excerpts:

After a long delay, the LCA is ready. How does it feel?
Everyone talks about the delays. It is not correct to say that the programme started in 1983, when the government first thought of working on a combat aircraft. They decided to put Rs:560 crore seed money for preparing the project definition, but there was no clarity. Even the air staff requirement (ASR) [standards for the engine] came only in 1985. In 1987-88, the project definition was prepared and the proposal to make prototypes was submitted. The government said they cannot take a risk with that kind of money and they split the programme into two parts; technology demonstration (TD) programme and proto-vehicle development project. In 1993, they gave Rs:2,199 crore for the TD. So, the actual programme started only in 1993. - Project started
In fact, clarity came only in 2004-05. In 2001, we flew the first aircraft and in 2004, we did the TD for the government, after which they released ?3,320 crore. The first proto vehicle (PV1) came out in December 2005. The IAF got confidence in the programme and gave the standard of preparation of fighter aircraft. So, the fillip came in 2005. From then on, the programme has been progressing rapidly, especially after Defence Minister A.K. Antony tilted the balance in favour of the LCA by publicly stating that the government would support the project, irrespective of any developments.

Is it ready for Initial Operational Clearance?
As of now, we have all equipment onboard, all sensors are functioning, all weapons integrated, carried and released. We have come to the IOC level. We are awaiting an endorsement from the defence minister.

Does the aircraft meet all the ASRs?
I will not say it will meet all the ASRs in which case we would not have brought in the alternative engine. There will be some deficiencies related to engine performance. The IAF is aware of all these aspects.

After the IOC, the next challenge would be the Final Operations Clearance?
Yes, FOC is the next major thing. But we do not see any problem in that. Beyond Visual Range missiles, some other weapons have to be integrated. That will be done by 2012.

What about the LCA Navy project?
The aircraft carrier that the Navy is building in Kochi and the other carrier, Vikramaditya, are looking for a light combat aircraft. No one else in the world is making this class of 10-tonne aircraft for a carrier with ramp take-off. We have taken the commitment very seriously and are putting all our best efforts to ensure its first flight in first quarter of 2011.
For conducting the carrier compatibility trials, we are building a mock-up of the aircraft carrier at a shore-based test facility in Goa. By the next quarter or so the take-off region will be ready.

How did the project help the industry?
When we started the programme, our technologies were second generation, which were almost three decades old. Today, the world says we are four-plus generation. It is not only the aircraft, but all technologies, design, analysis, simulation, ground testing, flight testing and assembling have been upgraded. The money has gone into developing an eco-system that helps private industries.

How did you handle the criticism about the programme?
Our leaders totally insured us from all criticism. While they took care of all those aspects, they gave us day-to-day challenges. We never got exposed to the media and never took it seriously.

What after the LCA project?
The IAF is saying 'Let us make a fifth generation aircraft, the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft'. The seed money has been given, and the IAF is working very closely with us to evolve the specifications so that the programme can start. Also, the Unmanned Aerial Combat Aircraft programme is coming up and money has already been given. That is a little more advanced than the AMCA because of its stealth characteristics.
http://week.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bin/MMOnline.dll/portal/ep/theWeekContent.do?BV_ID=@@@&contentType=EDITORIAL&sectionName=TheWeek%20COVER%20STORY&programId=1073755753&contentId=8548497

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles