Worms found in fried chicken at KFC

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Raj30, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Raj30

Raj30 Senior Member Senior Member

Kerala: Worms found in fried chicken at KFC outlet in Thiruvananthapuram - IBN South News - IBNLive
    [​IMG]
    The outlet has been temporarily shut and other KFC outlets are being inspected.

Thiruvananthapuram: Fast food chain Kentucky's Fried Chicken (KFC) has come under scrutiny in Kerala after a family reportedly found worms in their fried chicken. The incident was reported from an outlet in Thiruvananthapuram.
    On a complaint, the Food Safety Authority conducted an inspection and found that the outlet didn't maintain adequate sanitation guidelines. Some seized chicken was allegedly as much as five months old. The outlet has been temporarily shut and other KFC outlets are being inspected.
    "We came here after we received a complaint. We were told that worms were found in the chicken by the customer who informed us. When we inspected the place, we found worms in the fried chicken. This outlet has temporarily been shut down," Thiruvananthapuram district officer, Food Safety Authority, Sivakumar said.

Though the restaurant staff sought to prevent the officials from conducting searches, they had their way. They took samples of various dishes served in the hotel for detailed examination and analysis. The complaint was made by Shaiju, an NRI, who had come to the busy eatery along with his wife, son and two relatives. Shaiju was overcome by nausea and vomited as soon as he saw the dead worm in the chicken served to him.
    When he brought the matter to the staff's notice, they tried to dissuade him from making an outcry or complaint to the health authorities. However, he later contacted the FSA office and urged them to take action.
    (With additional information from PTI)

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    Singh likes this.
  3. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

:puke:...

How is it possible that the worms did not die when chicken piece was fried ...? The yucky things are squirming happily through the fried chicken in the video footage.

Blackwater likes this.
  4. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

hope someone can answer me on this genuine question - is it true that in india it is safer and more healthy to stick to vegetarian food as most restaurants are not that capable of handling meat ?

5. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

First, if you are a foreigner or even a local its best to avoid eating at roadside stalls.

Well done/cooked Meat dishes in theory should be safer and healthier.

6. blank_quest

blank_quest Senior Member Senior Member

I will never eat chicken again ! :shocked:

7. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

.... Hi Member Singh-ji , thanks for the reply ..

- that is in fact what i felt too , it's in theory . ..but serious stuff here (hope to visit one day ) - in practice it seemed to me that in india , most establishments are more geared to vegetarian food ( as most of the population is probably vegetarian too ?- my ancestors from india were vegetarians too ) - so it would be generally safer ? - most grateful to hear the opinions of all ...TIA .

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  8. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

One Lucky worm..

Bad of KFC..

9. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Depends on region to region although most restaurants and even international food chains feature an extensive vegetarian menu.

And in reputed/famous/touristy restaurants food ought to be safe. I see plenty of foreigners enjoying tikkas and kebabs in Old Delhi.

Avoid hole in the wall and roadside places for sure though.

roma likes this.
  10. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

i never liked their chicken, it is good excuse for me, not to go their again.

11. spikey360

spikey360 Crusader Senior Member

Overcharged, bland, and now worm laden chicken from KFC. Not surprisingly, all their outlets are flourishing and new ones are popping up every month or two.

12. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Now is the best time to eat as they will be on their toes to keep everything in line.

By this time next month old practices and short cuts will be back.

13. The Fox

The Fox Regular Member

my explanation would be either the worms were there on the spices that they used or in the middle of the chicken as they donot cook the chicken properly you might have noticed it when eating a leg piece of a kfc the meat near the bone is never cooked......... it is uncooked...................

14. SADAKHUSH

SADAKHUSH Senior Member Senior Member

I have seen all and therefore refuse to eat any non-vegetarian dish while in India. Who can guarantee that non road side restaurants are safer just because the kitchen is not visible. The problem is with the operator of the facility. Even in Canada, I have experienced and read in the media where the inspectors had to shut down few South Asian and Chinese food outfits.

I am surprised that authorities have not gone to the poultry supplier which looks like the main issue.

roma likes this.
  15. Victor Sierra

Victor Sierra Regular Member

If this has happened to me at home. I would have eaten that worm too. Just chop his head and go on....

Whoever you are, don't avoid roadside food stalls, unless you are little princess of your daddy who has been cared for everything.
    But this issue should be looked, coz they charge very high for everything.

In a near by town I have a restaurant called OFC and looks exactly like KFC. :D
    Just K is replaced by O.

Singh likes this.
  16. SADAKHUSH

SADAKHUSH Senior Member Senior Member

Whether or not they cook it thoroughly if the worms are found it tells a lot about the state of supply chain and local inspectors are sleeping instead of performing the duty. The consumers have to be proactive for your own sake and do not leave to the inspectors of restaurants.

17. Victor Sierra

Victor Sierra Regular Member

Back few months ago, when I was in Pune. I went to "US Pizza" it was with a Petrol Pump, somewhere between Pune Central and Baner area.
    Looking at the Unlimited Pizza Offer, I went in with my friend.

We had Salad and When I was about to finish my salad, I found a fly in there. Then I told this to manager and he just changed my plate. Then we were having Pizza and again after having few Pizza slices I again found a fly in there.

Again he told waiter to change the plate and he said: We don't have any idea how it happened. This has never happened before. Maybe it fell here on table.

I politely replied: I also want to know How it happened. I would have asked the fly but she was dead because your chef has roasted her.

Then we had cokes there.

While billing he was charging us for everything & I said You really want me to pay for this Fly-Salad and Fly Pizza?
    Sir, I vl get you the coke as a complementary.

I was also not in mood of arguing, so I just let it go.

18. Raj30

:rofl::rofl:

19. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

I eat from those only :D

arnabmit likes this.
  20. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Problem is franchise owners, tom ,dick and paendu become franchise owner ,,

What is imp is regular inspection/ check by KFC.

bottom line is all fast food and drinks chains dont care about people:laugh::laugh:

21. Raj30

Tesco withdraws burgers after horse meat found in samples - World - DNA

Tesco withdraws burgers after horse meat found in samples
    Published: Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013, 7:31 IST
    Agency: Reuters
    On Tuesday, British supermarket chain Tesco said it had withdrawn a number of beef burgers from sale after samples were found to contain horse DNA in tests.

The burgers that had tested positive were produced in two plants in Ireland and one in the UK and sold by several retailers, the Food Safety Authority of Ireland said in a separate statement. The Irish authorities said most of the affected burgers contained very low levels of horse DNA, but in one Tesco sample horse meat accounted for about 29 percent of the content.

The case is potentially embarrassing for Tesco, which is fighting to turn around a slide in its market share by improving perceptions of its quality and service.

"We are working with the authorities in Ireland and the UK, and with the supplier concerned, to urgently understand how this has happened and how to ensure it does not happen again," said Tesco.

Horse meat poses no health risk to consumers, but culturally it is not eaten in the UK and Ireland.