World War III between the U.S. and China?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
There is some good thinking that happens on DFI.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
What benefit accrues to China from invading and occupying Pakistan, as you see it.
The reasons for any future Chinese intervention in Pakistan would be similar to the reasons for the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan three decades ago.

1) The central gov't of Pakistan, which is pro-China, is increasingly losing control of its own nation to various fundamentalist factions who are opposed to all foreign influence (including Chinese). China may intervene to, ostensibly, restore the central gov't of Pakistan to power.

2) These same fundamentalist factions pose a security threat to China due to the large Muslim population in China's Xinjiang region.

3) The Karakorum Highway (KKH), which passes through Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK), connects China with the oil trade in the Arabian Sea. It is in China's interest to maintain control of this trade route, as the alternative requires maritime shipping over a much longer distance and through potentially vulnerable choke-points like the Malacca Strait.

4) By intervening and assuming control over PoK, China can potentially deny India direct access to Afghanistan, which would limit our influence in that country. This would also give China a freer reign in extending her influence throughout Central Asia.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
And what costs would China accept to see those benefits, in your estimation?

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
And what costs would China accept to see those benefits, it your estimation?
Well it's really hard to say. The CCP is rather ambiguous in their foreign policy and don't give clear indications of how far they are willing to exert themselves to obtain certain strategic benefits. However, I think it is fair to say that China, despite its interests in Pakistan, will avoid intervention if it has to militarily confront a much stronger power (i.e. the U.S.) and potentially risk damage to its economy.

I think that as long as the U.S. maintains a military presence in Afghanistan, the chances of an overt Chinese intervention in Pakistan are slim to none.

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned
Well it's really hard to say. The CCP is rather ambiguous in their foreign policy and don't give clear indications of how far they are willing to exert themselves to obtain certain strategic benefits. However, I think it is fair to say that China, despite its interests in Pakistan, will avoid intervention if it has to militarily confront a much stronger power (i.e. the U.S.) and potentially risk damage to its economy.

I think that as long as the U.S. maintains a military presence in Afghanistan, the chances of an overt Chinese intervention in Pakistan are slim to none.
Do u think US can win a fight with China at Asia?LOL

Zebra

Country flag
That means China economy is dependent on U.S. Isn't it ?? China economy is based on exports which is around 40% of GDP. Most of the importing countries are U.S. or her allies. So, China is more dependent on them. The day, They start looking for other countries for products, China will suffer. If U.S. will suffer, then China will also suffer.
China will suffer more .
US and allies will get new supplier , China won't get such huge customer .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So, what r they waiting for?don't tell me US is peaceful nation . LOL
Peaceful to those who want peace!

Old US President saying - Speak softly, carry big stick.

US moved. China saw that. US warship steamed in! And...........

Old Chinese proverb - 树倒猢狲散

Meaning - When the tree falls, the monkeys scatter.

A few US warship and monkeys scattered. No big talk thereafter, only whimpering and howling like the lament for the dead! A Dirge and a requiem!

Last edited:

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned
1.iraqi want peace.LOL
2.US said will strike Iran for years.LOL
3.US steam in where? why the officer is so nervous? Guess where is it, when?LOL

Peaceful to those who want peace!

Old US President saying - Speak softly, carry big stick.

US moved. China saw that. US warship steamed in! And...........

Old Chinese proverb - 树倒猢狲散

Meaning - When the tree falls, the monkeys scatter.

A few US warship and monkeys scattered. No big talk thereafter, only whimpering and howling like the lament for the dead! A Dirge and a requiem!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Is using the binocular to identify a ship, being nervous?

Then anyone who uses the binocular in the world must be nervous.

some logic, indeed!

Note that the rating on his side is signalling with the Aldis Lamp.

Last edited:

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned
Is using the binocular to identify a ship, being nervous?

Then anyone who uses the binocular in the world must be nervous.

some logic, indeed!
OK,guess when ? where ? what happened next? Who scattered?LOL

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles