Work On Submarine-Fired ICBM In Advanced Stage

john70

Country flag
Work On Submarine-Fired ICBM In Advanced Stage Tuesday, April 24, 2012 By : Defence News Admin

DRDO Chief Dr. VK Saraswat said that the work on the naval variant of the Long Range Strategic Missile (a moniker given by India to the Agni-V launched on April 20) was in "advanced" stage. DRDO Chief Dr. VK Saraswat said that the work on the naval variant of the Long Range Strategic Missile (a moniker given by India to the Agni-V launched on April 20) was in "advanced" stage.

With indigenous nuclear-attack submarine, INS Arihant (meaning destroyer of enemies) ready to get operational in another two years time, the DRDO Chief assured that when the nuke submarine comes out it will come out with all weapons. "There will be no gap," said the DRDO Chief.

Revealing the story behind Agni-V, with a range of 5,000 km plus, the DRDO Chief said that the sanction for the missile came in 2008 with a mandate to built the missile in four years time. "We have achieved it in about 3.5 years. It is the fulfillment of a dream that the country saw in 1980's," said the DRDO Chief.

The top scientist also ruled out capping the missile ranges of the future home-built missiles. "I said our development (of missiles) is based on current and evolving threats. Threats are ever changing. There is no question of capping missile range. I do not know if threat profile will be static," explained Dr Saraswat.

The next test of Agni-V is scheduled for later this year. Before that the DRDO will work to canisterise the missile to give it more flexibility. The April 20 test launch was done from a modified Agni-3 launcher. The canister system is necessary to make the missile road or rail mobile. A rail or road mobile missiles first takes off to a certain altitude and then gets ignited fully.

The strategic missile has also given a capability to launch mini-satellites in the space to aid the armed forces during the time of wars. These mini-satellites can be launched at a short notice and are designed to do a short-term role like providing navigation and all.

Taking about the naval variant of the Long Range Strategic Missile, Saraswat said that the "work was on an advanced stage". So when the indigenous nuclear attack submarine INS Arihant gets operational there will be "no gap" in the vessel and the weapon.

The Chief refused to comment on the damning reaction from China, but added that India was not working towards matching a missile for missile with other nations. "We are not matching missile for missile. If I can manage all my offensive or defensive profile with the present set, why to have so many missiles," Saraswat said to a pointed query about China's missiles with ranges exceeding 10,000 kms.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Great!

I was watching a interview of Saraswat and said about long ranged SLBM's. Arihant equipped with 3500lms+ nuke missile would be great.

When asked about the actual range of Agni-5 he said it's 5000 "plus" and can be increased more depending on the requirement.

shubhamsaikia

I believe the range of Agni 4 is greater than 5k. It has been deliberately kept down to not alarm the international media. It pretty much reaches 8k which engulfs Europe as well.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
I believe the range of Agni 4 is greater than 5k. It has been deliberately kept down to not alarm the international media. It pretty much reaches 8k which engulfs Europe as well.
That's an open secret.

john70

Country flag
"Revealing the story behind Agni-V, with a range of 5,000 km plus, the DRDO Chief said that the sanction for the missile came in 2008 with a mandate to built the missile in four years time. "We have achieved it in about 3.5 years. It is the fulfillment of a dream that the country saw in 1980's," said the DRDO Chief."

..... GOING FAST LIKE CHINA, BEATING DEADLINES !!! surprise for DRDO. good keep it up.

balai_c

"Revealing the story behind Agni-V, with a range of 5,000 km plus, the DRDO Chief said that the sanction for the missile came in 2008 with a mandate to built the missile in four years time. "We have achieved it in about 3.5 years. It is the fulfillment of a dream that the country saw in 1980's," said the DRDO Chief."

..... GOING FAST LIKE CHINA, BEATING DEADLINES !!! surprise for DRDO. good keep it up.
They can afford to go fast because the basic technologies of any missile : metallurgy of critical steel alloys like maraging steel,guidance system like INS, and later RLG, and of course, MINGS, apart from the very important re-entry heat shield materials like ceramics have been developed.These technologies may seem trivial, but,they are highly guarded secrets,never for sale. But apart from these, the carbon reinforced plastic, apart from helping in reducing weight,allowing a disproportionately big warhead on a much shorter and lighter missile, also has lucrative commercial potential of exploitation.They have attained the minimum critical mass, necessary from a much faster expansion.

john70

Country flag
But iam amazed at US submarine capacity.....
From 2002 to 2008 the U.S. Navy modified the four oldest Ohio-class submarines into SSGNs. The conversion was achieved by installing vertical launching systems (VLS) in a "multiple all-up-round canister" (MAC) configuration in 22 of the 24 missile tubes, replacing one Trident missile with 7 smaller Tomahawk cruise missiles. The 2 remaining tubes were converted to lockout chambers for use by special forces personnel. This gave each converted sub the capability to carry up to 154 Tomahawks.

john70

Country flag
But iam amazed at US submarine capacity.....
From 2002 to 2008 the U.S. Navy modified the four oldest Ohio-class submarines into SSGNs. The conversion was achieved by installing vertical launching systems (VLS) in a "multiple all-up-round canister" (MAC) configuration in 22 of the 24 missile tubes, replacing one Trident missile with 7 smaller Tomahawk cruise missiles. The 2 remaining tubes were converted to lockout chambers for use by special forces personnel. This gave each converted sub the capability to carry up to 154 Tomahawks.

154 tomahawks... On one sub ?? Just amazing.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
When it happens, I will feel good.

Before that, one should not let success go to one's head.

Country flag
One OHIO sub carries 24 -12 warhead =MIRV'D trident ICBM SLBM and 154 tomahawk cruise missiles
48 tubes all together. 22 for cruise missiles. At the start of the gulf wars 2000 tomahawk were fired on
Iraq on the first day of the war from submarines.

john70

Country flag
One OHIO sub carries 24 -12 warhead =MIRV'D trident ICBM SLBM and 154 tomahawk cruise missiles
48 tubes all together. 22 for cruise missiles. At the start of the gulf wars 2000 tomahawk were fired on
Wow.... US . What will be the fire power of indian sub ?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
SORT has reduced the MIRV to 4.

Ohio does not have 48 tubes. 24 tubes for trident in SSBNS subs and 22 tunes for Tomahawk in SSGN subs.

pmaitra

India is going the typical Soviet route to confuse people around, with a mish-mash of nomenclature.

Earlier, I heard there was no such thing as Agni-IV, but hear of Agni-III*; now I am hearing it will be called Agni-IV. Nice going.

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
well good thing is that we would have a nuclear armed SLBM operational ready ARIHANT sub when it is inducted .Now thats very important.

well SEA based nuclear detterence is the real deterrence & having 5000km + range SLBM armed NUKE sub would help
it to remain safe in indian coastal waters & no need to venture out near chinese waters to launch it .

Last edited:

john70

Country flag
India is going the typical Soviet route to confuse people around, with a mish-mash of nomenclature.

Earlier, I heard there was no such thing as Agni-IV, but hear of Agni-III*; now I am hearing it will be called Agni-IV. Nice going.
Really doesnt matter as far as they achieve results and keep progressive, rather then getting stuck with non developments like russians. They are too... Way far behind in millitary electronics and computerisation, even their president accepted this recently.

pmaitra

Really doesnt matter as far as they achieve results and keep progressive, rather then getting stuck with non developments like russians. They are too... Way far behind in millitary electronics and computerisation, even their president accepted this recently.
You said that in jest, didn't you? The day India builds something better than the Topol-M, that day you come and tell me the Russians are way behind. When it comes to electronics, only US is ahead of Russia. No other country comes anywhere close.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles