Women Rescued from Saudi Diplomat's Gurgaon Home. Allege Torture, Sexual Assault

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Saudi, Nepal pile 'rape' pressure on Delhi

New Delhi, Sept. 9: India was today buffeted by opposing pressure from Riyadh and Kathmandu over the alleged rape of two Nepalese women by a Saudi diplomat, its options limited by international law, its own track record and Riyadh's clout.

The foreign office also faced embarrassment after it emerged that it could have averted Gurgaon police's violation of diplomatic immunity rules in rescuing the women, a breach that is now Saudi Arabia's strongest charge against the investigators.

By evening, Nepal was insisting that the women were victims, while Saudi Arabia had rejected the allegations.

The Saudi diplomat and his wife - accused of assaulting the women - were expected to fly out of New Delhi soon, officials said, and the Nepalese women might also return to their homes tomorrow.

"The allegations are serious and if this happened, it is very sad," Nepal's ambassador to India, Deep Kumar Upadhyay, told The Telegraph at the country's mission here.

"But we will wait for the outcome of the investigations, and we have faith that India will act appropriately."

Two hours later, Saudi Arabian ambassador Saud Mohamed Alsati arrived at the foreign ministry headquarters along with the accused diplomat, a first secretary rank officer, and a team of other officials to proclaim that Riyadh was the victim.

:facepalm:

Alsati met Thanglura Darlong, joint secretary in charge of India's relations with the Gulf, and complained against the "unwarranted" Gurgaon police decision to brief journalists about the case "before investigations are complete".

"The embassy," Saudi Arabia's mission here said in a statement this evening, "has also protested the police intrusion into a diplomat's house against all diplomatic conventions."

The Gurgaon apartment where the women were being kept had been rented formally by the Saudi embassy, and the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations extends immunity to the premises and property of missions and their diplomats.

"The private residence of a diplomatic agent shall enjoy the same inviolability and protection as the premises of the mission," Article 30 of the convention states.

It has emerged that the Nepalese embassy, which had helped an NGO and the police carry out the raid, had alerted India's foreign office beforehand. South Block therefore had the opportunity of identifying the apartment as Saudi embassy property, preventing a police raid and informing the Saudi embassy. But it did not.

Saudi Arabia has rejected the charges of rape and physical assault.

"The embassy strongly stresses that these allegations are false and have not been proven," the Saudi Arabian mission's statement said, while seeking a "clarification" from the foreign office and adding that it would "wait for the outcome of the investigations".

Under the Vienna diplomatic immunity norms, the only way the accused diplomat or his wife can even be physically questioned - leave alone detained or arrested - is if Alsati waives their immunity. The Vienna immunity rules cover diplomats' spouses.

But Riyadh's rejection of even a suggestion that its diplomat could be in the wrong implies it has little intention of waiving the immunity.

Asked if Nepal would appeal to Saudi Arabia seeking such a waiver, Upadhyay said Kathmandu would instead leave the task to New Delhi.

"It is not for us to seek a waiver and the question does not arise at the moment, till the investigation is complete," the Nepal ambassador said. "Till now, I haven't even spoken to the Saudi Arabian ambassador about this case."

India's history with cases against its own diplomats abroad makes it hard for New Delhi to press Riyadh for a waiver.

In December 2013, India had cited the Vienna convention to demand the dropping of all charges against diplomat Devyani Khobragade, accused of violating visa norms and mistreating her children's nanny.

Earlier this year, India recalled its high commissioner in New Zealand, Ravi Thapar, after allegations that he and his wife had ill-treated a cook working at their residence in Wellington.

In these and a series of other instances, mostly in the US, India has never agreed to even consider waiving its diplomats' immunity.

Besides, oil-rich Saudi Arabia wields enormous influence within the diplomatic world.

A Saudi diplomat in London was earlier this year accused of trafficking two women and treating them as sex slaves but got away without even paying compensation by virtue of his diplomatic immunity.

Other Saudi diplomats in Britain have faced charges of rape, molestation, bribing a London police officer and the possession of illegal narcotics. At least two Saudi Arabian diplomats have been accused of murder in the US. Neither has faced trial.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1150910/jsp/nation/story_41779.jsp#.VfEWSfmqqko

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
So the Saudi diplomats are known to act like despicable criminals throughout the world. I wonder how long will the Saudi oil reserves last. It is the financial clout of the Saudis which is saving their skin till now.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Looks like the accused have left the country.....

sorcerer

Country flag
So the Saudi diplomats are known to act like despicable criminals throughout the world. I wonder how long will the Saudi oil reserves last. It is the financial clout of the Saudis which is saving their skin till now.
No..its not financial clout..its more about HOW their religion depicts woman and how she can be used for any means by a man!!!

Ash

Country flag
An Article in the Saudi Gazzette.

Indian policemen barge into Saudi diplomat’s home
Saudi Gazette report
RIYADH
— A group of Indian policemen barged into a Saudi diplomat’s house in Gurgaon near New Delhi and reportedly assaulted his family on Monday on the claim that the Saudi family was holding two housemaids hostage, Al-Watan Arabic daily reported on Wednesday.

Saudi Ambassador to India Muhammad Al-Sati said the diplomat was a Saudi Embassy employee and the policemen’s claim about the two maids was untrue. “The policemen assaulted his wife and his 19-year-old daughter. The Embassy condemns such an act. We have already contacted the Indian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the head of Gurgaon Police,” said Al-Sati.

The Indian authorities are still investigating the incident, he said. A spokesman for India’s Foreign Ministry said it had requested a report from the police and would decide on what action to take after reviewing the information.

The two Nepalese maids, aged 30 and 50, have filed complaints with police alleging the unnamed diplomat kept them locked in his apartment where they were abused, assistant commissioner Rajesh Kumar said.

The Saudi Embassy denied the allegations in a statement to the Press Trust of India (PTI) news agency. “The Embassy strongly stresses that these allegations are false and have not been proven,” the statement said.

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentid=20150910256080

DingDong

Country flag
An Article in the Saudi Gazzette.

Indian policemen barge into Saudi diplomat’s home
Saudi Gazette report
RIYADH
— A group of Indian policemen barged into a Saudi diplomat’s house in Gurgaon near New Delhi and reportedly assaulted his family on Monday on the claim that the Saudi family was holding two housemaids hostage, Al-Watan Arabic daily reported on Wednesday.

Saudi Ambassador to India Muhammad Al-Sati said the diplomat was a Saudi Embassy employee and the policemen’s claim about the two maids was untrue. “The policemen assaulted his wife and his 19-year-old daughter. The Embassy condemns such an act. We have already contacted the Indian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the head of Gurgaon Police,” said Al-Sati.

The Indian authorities are still investigating the incident, he said. A spokesman for India’s Foreign Ministry said it had requested a report from the police and would decide on what action to take after reviewing the information.

The two Nepalese maids, aged 30 and 50, have filed complaints with police alleging the unnamed diplomat kept them locked in his apartment where they were abused, assistant commissioner Rajesh Kumar said.

The Saudi Embassy denied the allegations in a statement to the Press Trust of India (PTI) news agency. “The Embassy strongly stresses that these allegations are false and have not been proven,” the statement said.

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentid=20150910256080
Not gonna make any difference, thanks to our media the news spread like wildfire and now everybody in world knows about it. Next step is leaking the name of the diplomat (naming and shaming).

I_PLAY_BAD

The accused enjoys diplomatic immunity and Saudi government has confirmed it. And our netas were silent when Devyani Kobragade was mistreated.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Yeah...the accused FLED the nation back into his savage cuntry
And the spineless Indian govt allowed that to happen.

For the first time in my life, I am ashamed to be an Indian :tsk:

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
I will only say, that it is not Saudi Vs India, because no Indian is a victim neither no Indian is accused. Only the person who is accused, is posted as a diplomat to India and did illegal activities on Indian soil.

But since Nepal is our neighbour, and the victims are from Nepal, we must support Nepal in this case.

I_PLAY_BAD

I will only say, that it is not Saudi Vs India, because the no Indian is victim neither no Indian is accused. Only the person who is accused, is posted as a diplomat to India and did illegal activities on Indian soil.

But since Nepal is our neighbour, and the victims are from Nepal, we must support Nepal in this case.
The actual fact is India and Nepal are seen like brothers due to their religious unanimity.
If India fails to deliver in this case then relations with Nepal will tumble and China which is waiting at the back door will use it to its advantage. If India acts in favor of Nepal then India's efforts to isolate Pakistan with support from ME will take a hit. International politics is more lethal than it appears. India is under pressure to deal with this issue smartly.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
I will only say, that it is not Saudi Vs India, because no Indian is a victim neither no Indian is accused. Only the person who is accused, is posted as a diplomat to India and did illegal activities on Indian soil.

That's nonsense. The crime occurred in Indian soil. Any self respecting Indian should rightly see it as an insult to India.

But hey, the spineless govt allowed the Saudi dogs to escape. And judging from the reaction in dfi , I think most of the members here lack self respect too. :frusty:

DingDong

Country flag
And the spineless Indian govt allowed that to happen.

For the first time in my life, I am ashamed to be an Indian :tsk:
The guy and his family have taken refuge inside the Saudi embassy. He is not off-the-hook. It won't be easy for KSA to deal with the Indian Government. I think we must take advantage of it and try to push KSA on Dawood network. Why do I fee that Dawood is in KSA at the moment?

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
The actual fact is India and Nepal are seen like brothers due to their religious unanimity.
If India fails to deliver in this case then relations with Nepal will tumble and China which is waiting at the back door will use it to its advantage. If India acts in favor of Nepal then India's efforts to isolate Pakistan with support from ME will take a hit. International politics is more lethal than it appears. India is under pressure to deal with this issue smartly.

ME still cannot be trusted when it is about Saudi Arab. Because Saudi Arab does exactly what US tells them. If you are good with US, Saudis are at your service. So, I do not think, our relations will get a hit with ME. More over, we can show our influence in ME by giving more Business to UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, and neglect KSA. Message will be clear. We cannot isolate Nepal in any case.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
That's nonsense. The crime occurred in Indian soil. Any self respecting Indian should rightly see it as an insult to India.

But hey, the spineless govt allowed the Saudi dogs to escape. And judging from the reaction in dfi , I think most of the members here lack self respect too. :frusty:
The crime happened, and India must support Nepal and diplomat must be arrested as per IPC. This is also a good chance for India to overcome it's bad image, that rapist get free passage according to Indian law.

But this is not India Vs Saudi rather Nepal Vs Saudi. India should act according to it's law and power.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Wait a minute? I dont think diplomatic immunity applies to rape charges now does it.

I hope that this govt shows some spine and puts all the culprits into tihar

I hope that lawyers clarify the issue @A chauhan @sayareakd
Article 30 of the Vienna Convention states that the “private residence of a diplomatic agent shall enjoy the same inviolability and protection as the premises of the mission”.
I don't see much chances in this case , specially after Devyani Khobragadhe case, it would be tough(hypocrisy) for us to arrest that Saudi Camel F****R, I am not an expert of international law probably Saya would shed some brighter light.

I_PLAY_BAD

The crime happened, and India must support Nepal and diplomat must be arrested as per IPC. This is also a good chance for India to overcome it's bad image, that rapist get free passage according to Indian law.

But this is not India Vs Saudi rather Nepal Vs Saudi. India should act according to it's law and power.
Even if they nab the accused he will undergo prosecution under India law !
That is why he must be tried in Saudi. Only cutting as per Saudi law is the best punishment.

I_PLAY_BAD

ME still cannot be trusted when it is about Saudi Arab. Because Saudi Arab does exactly what US tells them. If you are good with US, Saudis are at your service. So, I do not think, our relations will get a hit with ME. More over, we can show our influence in ME by giving more Business to UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, and neglect KSA. Message will be clear. We cannot isolate Nepal in any case.
I am not sure. Umma chumma applies to OPEC and ME countries and they will join hands when needed. They neglect Paki and BD from the Umma Chumma ring but that is an entirely different story.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Even if they nab the accused he will undergo prosecution under India law !
That is why he must be tried in Saudi. Only cutting as per Saudi law is the best punishment.
oh you mean, chop chop square? But Govt of KSA is not accepting that crime is done by their officer.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles