With Russian help, India to join ICBM big league soon

ganesh177

Country flag
[h=1]With Russian help, India to join ICBM big league soon http://www.dailypioneer.com/pioneer-news/todays-newspaper/11724-with-russian-help-india-to-join-icbm-big-league-soon.html[/h]
Moscow to provide 'seeker' tech for Agni-V, capable of hitting target beyond 10,000 km

India is all set to join the select group of nations capable of launching nuclear strikes across continent. With Russia ready to provide the cutting-edge "seeker" technology for India's Agni-V intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), the country is ready to flaunt its nuclear might in a big way by year end when the ICBM will undergo its maiden launch.

The development of the ICBM had been delayed because no country was ready to provide India the crucial 'seekers' technology, which enables the missile to home in on the target with pinpoint precision. The ICBM will be capable of carrying nuclear payload and has a strike range of 10,000 km.

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has indigenously developed the 'seeker' technology for Agni-I, Agni-II and Agni-III intermediate range missiles. But the DRDO was not in a position to develop the next stage technology and efforts to import it had been futile so far.

The breakthrough with Russia for the most critical system of the ICBM came after extensive talks between delegations of the two countries during Defence Minister AK Antony's three-day visit to Moscow earlier this week. The Indian delegation comprised senior missile scientists of the DRDO besides others, and Moscow agreed to help New Delhi for the ICBM project, sources said.

The two sides met to review progress on various defence projects under the India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military Technical Co-operation set up a decade back. The Defence Ministers of the two countries head this body and meet once a year either in Moscow or New Delhi.

Russia, UK, the US, France and China are the only countries in the world to have ICBMs which can hit a target beyond 10,000 km. India has successfully developed intermediate range ballistic missiles capable of carrying nuclear weapons and hitting a target less than 4,000 km.

With the successful launch of the Agni-III two years back, the Indian scientists displayed their capability to even develop ICBM. However, their efforts over the last two years or so to go ahead with Angi-V launch could not progress due to non-availability of 'seeker' techology.

"Given discriminatory attitude against India by some advanced countries, including the US vis-à-vis sharing advanced technology over the last two decades, it was tough going for the missile project scientists till Russia agreed to come to India's rescue," officials said.

They said Russia was more than willing to share technical know-how with India for its missile programme and time tested defence relations between the two countries spanning more than four decades again produced positive results, sources said.

In another important development, Russia will also share its advanced GPS system for military purposes with India. The US has been reluctant to do so despite repeated assurances by Washington that it is ready to open its doors for hi-tech.

Incidentally, the other country to provide frontline technology in missiles and avionics is Israel and its sophisticated radars helped the DRDO carry out the successful test of Agni-III, sources pointed out.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/pioneer...-help-india-to-join-icbm-big-league-soon.html

arya

Country flag
every thing should be on time

i dont know why we are delaying everything with russia

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Stupid post....An MTCR signatory cannot provide even dual use tech to another country

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
BS report. Russia will not help with ICBMs because of MTCR.

The other thing is of all the things why will India look for seeker technology? India has seeker tech of it's own and pretty good one. I really don't think we need anyone's help in making an ICBM. it's a political decision that needs to be made to go ahead or not. It's not about capability for India.

agentperry

first of all since when agni 5 is 10000 km missile. then the seeker tech transfer is totally against mtcr regime. if this is happening then also i think russia gonna extort money from India for this transfer.

if tracking system for this missile can be developed at home and also all the other systems then the seeker thing is not going down my throat as of now. yes India procured seeker for many of its missiles( almost all) but it is 1990s thing. in the last 4-5 years drdo has developed indigenous seekers for almost all of its missiles.

SPIEZ

Country flag
first of all since when agni 5 is 10000 km missile. then the seeker tech transfer is totally against mtcr regime. if this is happening then also i think russia gonna extort money from India for this transfer.

if tracking system for this missile can be developed at home and also all the other systems then the seeker thing is not going down my throat as of now. yes India procured seeker for many of its missiles( almost all) but it is 1990s thing. in the last 4-5 years drdo has developed indigenous seekers for almost all of its missiles.
AGNI 5 10,000 km????????????
Dude it's only 5,000-6,000 kms

SPIEZ

Country flag
thats what im saying. agni 5 no 10000 km missile but this report says so.
Yup ! II think it's Indian strategy to keep changing names and details. We ll never know until the product arrives

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
We can make it ourselves but we have cowardice attitude.

"Lets not make true icbm otherwise west will be suspicious of us" this is the attitude that prevails.

plugwater

Seeker in ballistic missile ? First time i am hearing about this.

Can anyone tell me how does it work ?

SPIEZ

Country flag
We can make it ourselves but we have cowardice attitude.

"Lets not make true icbm otherwise west will be suspicious of us" this is the attitude that prevails.
Dont think so. An ICBM cannot be developed openlywith the help o other nations. Even if it's done secretly the western intell would prob come to know about.

BTW only we adhere to MTCR, while USA sold their missile's to UK and ItaLY

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Dont think so. An ICBM cannot be developed openlywith the help o other nations. Even if it's done secretly the western intell would prob come to know about.

So what if they do ? Infact we should make it, test it, induct it and then announce it.

And we can make it ourselves without help from anyone else.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

They use technical terms to get by it. They call it "grandfathered". Same thing that China used to sell nuke reactors to Pakistan in spite of international treaty obligations.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Seeker in ballistic missile ? First time i am hearing about this.

Can anyone tell me how does it work ?
May be they mixed up guidance system with seeker. Seekers are used in ABM!!

Still india has decent guidance system as well as seekers for it's other missiles.

SPIEZ

Country flag
May be they mixed up guidance system with seeker. Seekers are used in ABM!!

Still india has decent guidance system as well as seekers for it's other missiles.
Must have meant MIRV

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
What country would India target at 10000 Km?

Adux

Country flag
The point is not about targeting, it is about having the capability, We would like to send off a Missile into China from the Atlantic Ocean if need be. We are in serious threat from two hostile nuclear armed basket case's of the world neighbors China and Pakistan, It is imperative we have every weapon available to defend ourselves. No other democratic and peaceful country live in such a hostile neighborhood after the end of the Cold War.

SPIEZ

Country flag

We would have the capability to strike China or pakistan from the oceans or seas by means of Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile. Having that feature the Ballistic missile subs could strike from any of the worlds waters.
We are also developing the K-series of missile's with this in mind

trackwhack

The Americas. High School Geography should have taught you that.

Or did you ask the question in rhetoric becuase you take offense to this discussion?

The United States could not stand a planet with 2 superpowers, you think you can swallow one with India, Russia and China with similar economic might?Do you think we are naive enough to assume that the US would not be hostile to India in 10 or 20 years?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles