Will the G7 Become the G2?

redarmy

China disagrees to G2, calling for effort to fight protectionism

Wen: China disagrees to so-called G2, calling for effort to fight protectionism - People's Daily Online
November 18, 2009

Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao meets visiting U.S. President Barack Obama in Beijing on Nov. 18, 2009. (Xinhua/Ma Zhancheng)

China disagrees to the suggestion of a "Group of Two" (G2), Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said at a meeting with visiting U.S. President Barack Obama here on Wednesday.

China is still a developing country with a huge population and has a long way to go before it becomes modernized, Wen said, stressing "We must always keep sober-minded over it".

China pursues the independent foreign policy of peace and will not align with any country or country blocks, Wen said.

Global issues should decided by all nations in the world, rather than one or two countries, he added.

"Meanwhile, we believe Sino-U.S. cooperation can play a unique role in advancing the establishment of the new international political and economic order, as well as promoting world peace, stability and prosperity," Wen said.

Wen noted that the bilateral trade volume between China and the United States has increased greatly since the two countries established diplomatic ties 30 years ago.

"This is in the fundamental interests of both countries and their people," Wen said. "We do not pursue trade surplus and I hope the United States would lift its policy of restricting high-tech products exports to China and increase their proportion in the U.S. exports to China.

"Meanwhile, our two countries should strengthen mutual investment and cooperation in such fields as energy, environmental protection and high technology for a more balanced bilateral trade," Wen said.

Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao meets visiting U.S. President Barack Obama in Beijing on Nov. 18, 2009. (Xinhua/Yao Dawei)

The revival of world trade and investment is beneficial to the global effort to cope with the financial crisis and help accelerate the recovery of the world economy, he said.

"China and the United States should work together to fight against protectionism in trade and investment," Wen said.

Obama, who described U.S.-China relations as of global significance, said U.S.-China cooperation is crucial as far as major global issues such as economic recovery, climate change and regional and global peace are concerned.

He hoped the two countries would abandon distrust and misunderstanding, strengthen exchange and cooperation, so as to push U.S.-China relations forward.

The United States appreciates and supports the Chinese government's efforts in developing the economy and reducing poverty, said Obama, adding that the development of China is beneficial to the world.

The United States and China are important trade partners for each other, which has brought huge benefits to both countries, while trade protectionism does no good to either side, Obama said.

He said the United States appreciates China's efforts to adjustthe economic structure, expand domestic demand, protect intellectual property rights and reform the Renminbi exchange rateregime.

The United States would properly handle bilateral trade frictions so that they would not harm the interests of the two countries, Obama said.

The United States has noted China's concern over the export control to China and is willing to take measures and increase high-tech product exports to China, he added.

Before their formal meeting in the State Guesthouse Wednesday morning, Wen said Obama's fruitful visit, the first state visit to China since he took office in January, would be of far-reaching significance.

He expressed his "sincere hope" that Obama's China visit would lift the comprehensive and cooperative China-US relations to a new level.

"The history of Sino-US relations has made it clear that cooperation benefits both sides while confrontation results in harms, and mutual trust brings progress while suspicion causes setbacks," Wen said.

Cooperation is better than containment, dialogue is better than confrontation, and partnership is better than rival ship, he added.

Wen and Obama also exchanged views on global climate change, the Korean Peninsula situation, the Middle East issue and Doha round of world trade talks.

Obama arrived in Shanghai on Sunday night to kick off his four-day visit to China, where on Monday he met with municipal officials and college students and then flied to Beijing in the afternoon.

On Tuesday in Beijing, Chinese President Hu Jintao held talks with Obama, and they reached a wide range of agreements on furthering strategic mutual trust, maintaining exchanges at all levels and meeting global and regional challenges together.

A joint statement was issued after the talks.

Obama also met with China' top legislator Wu Bangguo during his stay in Beijing.

Source: Xinhua

jakojako777

No, G1 = India, I insist, reaons:
1) Will have bigger GDP or GNP than USA, sometime in the future, say 2050 ... my fortune teller also agrees with me on this ...
2) It is not oriental
3) It is the biggest democracy ... don't argue

Maybe the word "myth" is over-exagerrating. Much of its GDP is financed by debt, and boosted by govt spending (e.g. defence, war), but no doubt US is still truly a power ahead of others due to its uniqueness (huge immigrant country, size, political stability), just that its relative advantage has much reduced. But US will still be a member of G-XX or whatever we talk about.

Other than US, what countries have strong enough clout? They would then be included in the G-XX. And this G-XX should at least contribute to world economy just as UNSC contributes to world security.

G20? Too big. G7? Outdated. G2? An American plan to drag China into trouble. Also, people should see that Euro zone is showing its homogenuity.

So, G-XX, what is it?

Sorry friend, but I don't agree with you "G20? Too big" Not too big but NECESSARY size to include sufficient number of countries that represent enough geopolitical power that can influence the rest of the world!
The ONLY reason to have these "G" combinations is to find RIGHT size big enough that can influence others. And small enough that they can agree about something and implement common decisions and actions.

USA and West have dwindled (and will continue dwindling, specially USA)
so it is MULTIPOLAR world - therefore G-7 or G-8 without China India and Brazil at least in the group doesn't NOT make sense any longer!
Will it be G-12 or G-20 is less important as long as at least those countries are in!

As for USA you use common sense and I use intuition.
It is logical to see country that is still No. 1 as very important player in the future as well.
My guess (intuition) is that USA will lose (much more than many people can imagine) in next 20 years.
And I don't see China to be a country who will replace USA as No.1 but EU (confederation?) which will gradually push aside USA and tried to control China's (India's) growth.
Many people don't know or forget that Europe is rally economic Super Power not the USA (problem is that EU is not country)
But EU can become country (some already talk about EU-army)...
India and Russia will be major players in future... and also there is big probability of another World War, but that is another story.......

jakojako777

G-2 is USA proposition to China to "share" power of domination of the world and push aside Japan,EU, Russia, India, Brazil and all others...

What USA really want is to use G-2 to PRESERVE position of Master of the world by influencing (controlling) China within G-2 and therefor controlling everybody else out of G-2.

USA is offering nothing to China which China already donesn't have.
G-2 just doesn't make sense be cause USA and China are not allays but competitors and therefore they don't have so many common interests to make
one solid block of interest imposed to the rest of the world.

G-2 is just "wet" dreams of USA to stay on the top as before..............:viannen_10:

badguy2000

Respected Member
G-2 is USA proposition to China to "share" power of domination of the world and push aside Japan,EU, Russia, India, Brazil and all others...

What USA really want is to use G-2 to PRESERVE position of Master of the world by influencing (controlling) China within G-2 and therefor controlling everybody else out of G-2.

USA is offering nothing to China which China already donesn't have.
G-2 just doesn't make sense be cause USA and China are not allays but competitors and therefore they don't have so many common interests to make
one solid block of interest imposed to the rest of the world.

G-2 is just "wet" dreams of USA to stay on the top as before..............:viannen_10:

G2 just cast in a bone between China and all other countries except USA and lay CHina in a hard positioin.

the idea of G2 will bring China lots of unnecessary obligations and envy from others ,besides a empty worlthless title of “the copilot of Yankees"..

1800 Years ago, a wise chinese general once warned people:

"Don't push yourself into hard troubles for empty titles"

Chinese today will follow that word and don't buy the idea of G2.

Country flag
G2 is a good concept, USA can give all our troubles to China on the political front and focus on the economy, this way US can return to prosperity increase protectionism and give all the headaches and debts and problems to china under a meaningless title, China should take it they may never get a good opportunity like this again.

badguy2000

Respected Member
G2 is a good concept, USA can give all our troubles to China on the political front and focus on the economy, this way US can return to prosperity increase protectionism and give all the headaches and debts and problems to china under a meaningless title, China should take it they may never get a good opportunity like this again.
in fact, If USA invite India to be one of G2, I think that India will welcome it.

Country flag
India has not been given this fantastic opportunity that China has been given and is unlikely too, but this will let the world know that USA oficially owns China once this is confirmed.

jakojako777

G2 just cast in a bone between China and all other countries except USA and lay CHina in a hard positioin.

the idea of G2 will bring China lots of unnecessary obligations and envy from others ,besides a empty worlthless title of “the copilot of Yankees"..

1800 Years ago, a wise chinese general once warned people:

"Don't push yourself into hard troubles for empty titles"

Chinese today will follow that word and don't buy the idea of G2.

I like your comments major. The second about India welcoming etc... I find it funny (in good way).That was like calling India pretentious"would be Super Power":bye: sorry Indian people I find that to be good corrosive joke about hidden Indian desire to one day dominate China in strength :))

G2 will bring China lots of unnecessary obligations and envy from others
envy from others like for example Russia? LoL !:))

Now SERIOUSLY I will stop joking!
1st this thread has wrong name !
It sounds like some (over) patriotic Chinese is proposing false angle to the situation.
Be cause by saying " Will the G7 Become the G2?" I have impression that serious subject is automatically lowered more in "G spot" discussion about low instincts ,desire and not reality.
For me Koji is saying ;
"Let us talk about China becoming No.2 Master in every way who cares if that has nothing to do with reality!"
But that is also saying Ms. Clinton, so why not Koji?
Should than the next thread be- one American asks "Will the G7 Become the G1?" etc.

CONCLUSION
USA is NOT the same USA from Cold War and China is NOT Soviet Union.
Today those 2 countries do NOT represent even close the same power that USA and Soviet Union have had represented.
Now, they can create G1, G2, G50 as far as I care but I will NOT waist my time on such subject any more!

So for me this premise is based on FALSE logic from the start - and has little or no reason to be discussed for those who value their time!
At least I speak for myself and I bid you good bye on this thread!

For the end I give you Chinese proverb
"Beware of your wishes ,they might one day become true"
stop feeding your low instincts people with empty talk of power struggle.

may peace of Gandhi be with all of you!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles