Will Modi’s India look a more powerful neighbour in the eye?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

China, so far, has taken India to be a soft target.

Khurshed, appeared to be a cosmetic salesman, and thought that the Chinese incursions were only an 'acne' and he would apply his version of cream to make Chinese pimples vanish.

But is Modi made of sterner stuff and will he call the Chinese bluff?

sob, sesha_maruthi27 and p2prada like this.
  3. indiatester

indiatester Regular Member

But sir, are the Chinese merely bluffing?
    In this particular case, we have been able to mobilize our forces quickly enough to be a considerable threat to them.
    They can definitely find some opportune time when we cannot mobilize quickly enough and the situation may demand escalatory action from us (Kargil type?). Will Modi be stern enough then?

parijataka likes this.
  4. Ray

Modi's stand seem to have had a better result that the earlier intrusion during the UPA time.

parijataka and indiatester like this.
  5. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

regarding this point above , i trust that you are aware that we have given up our high altitude observation post
    in return for their giving up the idea of building the road 5 km into our territory ?

so is it really an improvement over UPA ? ..i honestly cant see too much of a difference - perhaps others can
    and so please tell us

what i see is that in both cases china intruded to give themselves bargaining power when in the first case last year
    we built observation huts and in the second case this year we took up high altitude observation post

when we agreed as we did last year approx april 2013 to demolish the huts they withdrew

and now sept 2014 when we agreed to vacate the observation posts - they agreed to withdraw

in both cases china got what they wanted

so in this particular matter it seems to me Modi not all that different from MMS .

the turning point will be if modi can get going seriously on .indigenous defence design and manufacturing
    plus relationships with tech -heavy nations eg the current trip to usa and others to come .

if we get somewhere new uncharted territory in this matter , then we are really getting somewhere

for example if modi can personaly get behind the next paradigm level of MCA jet-fighter development
    and bring it to fruition within say 8 years or if he can untangle the current go-nowhere mess in the
    Kaveri engine - i.e. if he can really perform in technlogical management THEN he will be the greatest we've ever had
    ...otherwise so far he is a slightly bolder version of MMS and perhaps more committed to ending or reducing corruption but thats about it .

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    indiatester likes this.
  6. sesha_maruthi27

sesha_maruthi27 Senior Member Senior Member

Well the tension along the chinese border has been cooled down for the time being. But India must increase its presence along the chinese border. We can build tunnels rather than open roads as the chinese are also going to do the same. In fact the chinese have already built more tunnels along the Indian border. On the other hand India must first get rid of the confidence in pakistan that pakistan will be let off even though they keep sending terrorists into India in J&K. We must get rid of all the terror camps in PoK as soon as possible. We have to make sure that the Americans do not help pakistan any more in their military build up. If either China or America stop helping the pakistanis, its a very great advantage to India.

7. Ray

The point is 30r, which means 30 feet above the mean height there.

The next issue is that we are playing the Chinese game of GO in the same way as the Chinese having been doing.

Unless we build up the infrastructure to and at the LAC in all areas of contention, it would be futile to press home and achieve nothing.

This is called trading space for time in military parlance.

VIP, sesha_maruthi27, pmaitra and 2 others like this.
  8. Punya Pratap

Punya Pratap Regular Member

I have just started a new post "President Xi's India visit - failures & gains in the below link which is a very good take on the "tactical intrusion" during Xi's visits and how it backfired in the below link:

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/china/63750-president-xis-visit-india-failures-gains.html

I suggest everyone to read the article as it is very well written and covers all the points! The below are the likely outcomes of the intrusions:

Tactical Intrusions have been a policy adopted by China before any high profile visit to put pressure on India but It nearly torpedoed the entire purpose behind engaging Modi for China which is desperate to ensure India does nt end up getting influenced into a nexus against China vis a vis USA-Japan.

Now it is clear USA will get more leeway from Modi coz China has pushed India too much.... China shall realise that not only will Modi look China in the eyes but will check it through strategic partnerships with "fellow sufferers" like Japan, Philippines and Malaysia !

A strong Nationalist like Modi with a strong mandate will look strongly in the eye to even the USA so rest assured regarding China!!

roma likes this.
  9. Ray

One keeps hearing that Modi is doing better because of a strong mandate all the time on TV.

That maybe of some help, but resolute Leadership is from within and not merely on mandates.

Manmohan Singh may have been academically strong, but his character was weak and so he had no inkling about Leadership leading the Nation to its gloom and doom.

Indira Gandhi was a resolute leader and the mandate mattered nothing to her. It was in built in her character.

I think Modi's resolute leadership and clear thoughts on what India should become gets trivialised on TV when all seem to think Modi draws power from the Mandate alone.

VIP, roma and sesha_maruthi27 like this.
  10. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

agree with all written above
    if i may add one point ...... many are holding him accountable after hardly 4 and a half months of being in office
    i.e not even 6 months and obviously before a year in office ...if we had applied the same standards to anyone else,
    we could be pretty sure he has outdone almost all of them .

still we need to make the assessment after say 2 and a half years - because that we be a more long-term
    and thus more realistic view .....after all it would be premature to discount the possibility of "new brooms
    sweep clean " effect ? ( not that i think that would happen , but to be fair to all his predecessors )

11. Ray

He is being held responsible from Day#1 by the so called 'intellectuals' and the drawing room class.

He has upset their upper class snobbery of the genre of Mani Shankar Iyer since they cannot reconcile that a mere teaboy and from the class of mango men (aam admi has upset their snug apple cart of pontification and platitudes in the guise of governance.

From Day#1, this teaboy has proved that he has more to offer India than the Dynasty of 67 year.

That has irked the supercilious and ignorant arrogance of these characters and they are out to do down anything done by Modi.

Read the articles in TOI by Mani Shakar's brother, who claims to be an economist. I think his name is SA Iyer or something.

VIP, roma and hit&run like this.
  12. Dhairya Yadav

Dhairya Yadav Regular Member

in terms of foreign policy, hats off to Modi. He has done what was needed to be done for long time. My favorite was his attempt to increase cooperation with SAARC countries, to reduce the influence of China in Nepal etc. However, i must say that on economic front, he needs to show what he can do.