Will India ever Mount an Operation to capture Dawood Ibrahim?

DivineHeretic

Country flag
By Anas Abbas

Ten years ago on a balmy, sunny day in Karachi, my father asked me to accompany him to a great seth's house. People in Karachi sometimes gather at houses of major industrialists' to see their impressive sacrificial animals, purchased for Bakra Eid.

I was only too eager to go to one such grand place which turned out to be at a distance of just two kilometres from my house. When we arrived, we found crowds of people gawking at expensive animals. As I took in the sights and sounds, the owner of the house came out, flanked by his guards and kids.

I wondered aloud who this intriguing man could be, my father chuckled: "He has many names. In India, he's the most wanted man. And here some know him as Ibrahim Mushtaq and others call him Tiger Memon!"
Perhaps unsurprisingly, given my age, this didn't mean a whole lot to me at that time. But it would soon change.

Not long after I left Pakistan, in pursuit of university education, I began studying the historic conflicts across the world, and became deeply interested in counter-terrorism and history, and started scrutinising various conflicts around the world.

Dawood soon crept back into my life. While debating politics with my cousin one day, I was shocked to discover that Tiger Memon's son was his friend. They had studied together, it turned out, at Karachi's prominent City School.

Indian terrorists, it became clear to me, had integrated well in Pakistan's society.

When I went to Karachi next, I tried conducting my own investigation. I knew Tiger Memon's house and had seen the state patronage he was living under, but I was more interested in the even bigger fish who was also said to be living in Karachi, and was the main accused in the 1993 Bombay blasts.

It didn't take a lot of finding-out. Dawood Ibrahim, who featured among the top in Forbes list of most wanted dreaded criminals, was living openly in Clifton, Block 4, Karachi, near Café Flo, known as an elite hang-out. Last year when I visited Karachi, I asked my friends where Dawood Ibrahim lived and I was told time and again the same location.
When I went to that particular area, I observed containers had been put-up and the street was blockaded. People were frisked and IDs checked before one could be granted entry into the mansion. Pakistan Army Rangers patrolled the road.

I realised that Pakistani journalists weren't very keen to chase up this fantastic story because they did not want to suffer the same fate as Daniel Pearl, Saleem Shehzad and Ghulam Hasnain.

Ghulam Hasnain wrote a wonderfully detailed account of Dawood's lavish lifestyle in Karachi and Lahore. Subsequently, he was kidnapped and when he returned, he had suffered several fractures on his body.

American journalists do not write about him either, because they are not interested in Dawood Ibrahim. Also, America needs Pakistan to buttress its Afghan policy and support a peace deal with the Taliban. It is for this reason that the American government and media do not feel the need to pressurise Pakistan to stop supporting Dawood Ibrahim.

If India has any intentions of ever capturing Dawood Ibrahim and Tiger Memon—or other top terrorists, Maulana Masood Azhar and Hafiz Muhammad Saeed—it needs, first, to rid itself of the illusion that Pakistan's criminal justice will help.

Take the example of Hafiz Saeed: Known throughout the world as a terrorist, at home he's a television celebrity, represented as a pious man. Back in 2009, Saeed was acquitted of several terrorism-related charges by the Lahore High Court. The prosecution lawyer, Latif Khosa, convinced the judge that Saeed had links to al Qaeda. But the judge still ruled in Saeed's favour, since having connections with al Qaeda was no offence under Pakistani law.

Imagine that a country which has lost over 50,000 of its citizens to al Qaeda supported militants, and has suffered a $70 billion economic loss, is still unable to pass a legislation banning al Qaeda. This goes to show what Pakistan's priorities are.

The conversation that I had with my father when I first visited Tiger Memon's house reverberated in my mind when I saw the mind blowing Indian movie D-Day. Irfan Khan sees the Don Dawood Ibrahim for the first time at the mosque, and is told by his Pakistani friend: "He has many names. Some call him Saleem Pathan and others know him as Iqbal Seth."

The Pakistan government's only strategy is denial. Will India eventually mount an operation to get Dawood Ibrahim, as shown in D Day, akin to the one America mounted against Osama bin Laden? Or will India keep on waiting endlessly for Pakistan to punish those terrorists who are causing mayhem in India and inciting violence from across the border?

Only time will tell.

Anas Abbas is an investigative Counter Terrorism Analyst. He blogs at aacounterterror.wordpress.com and tweets at @Anas_Abbas1.

[HR][/HR]

My purpose behind opening this thread is not to argue whether we are capable or not of carrying out such an operation. I begin with the premise that such an operation is possible.

What I want to discuss is
A) When do you Sanction such an operation?

B) How do you approach this task &

C) Who do you Choose to undertake this task?

Please note that This is only to discuss tactics of the operation and not on the politics behind the operation. Also, this can very well apply to any terrorist who is enjoying his heaven on Earth....

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I think the best way is to do it in a "big-bang" way. Instead of using commandos and spies and trying to execute a precision hit, his residence needs to be bombarded by a suicide bomber or something. That is the best way to get rid of him.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
I think the best way is to do it in a "big-bang" way. Instead of using commandos and spies and trying to execute a precision hit, his residence needs to be bombarded by a suicide bomber or something. That is the best way to get rid of him.
A suicide bomber cannot blow up a building, and is far less likely to blow up a mansion with the explosives strapped to his person. Attempting to blow him up with a suicide bomber would mean the bomber would have to be placed as near to him as possible to increase the chances of a hit.

That would be hard to do with conventional explosives which will be detected by the ISI guards around him. Suicide bombers with explosive laden vehicles are a good possibility, but that would require the precise knowledge of his daily routes. That is an intelligence hit.

Decklander

I had stated that one such operation to snatch him was authorised to be done in Dubai in NDA time but cud not be done as Sheikh Makhtoom turned hostile. This made ISI and Dawood smart. he underwent surgery to change his looks and also stopped travelling to Dubai. It took our intelligence sometime to get his new identity. The next time we have NDA govt, we might drop the idea of snatch and go for kill like mossad eben if it includes bringing down an airliner full of civilian pakies.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
It took 14 years to kill VEERAPPAN, because of his political influence, and here we are talking about a KINGPIN in south east asia, whom we had a chance to kill inside India but did not and now we are talking to kill him in pakistan..... shame on the GoI to give him that much time. I think he has invested at large in the INDIAN MARKETS which, when we kill him may be a big hit for the Indian Markets......

All the politicians behind him should turn against to kill him......

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Don't you think that all his investments turning zero will benefit Indians?
definitely, but we then lack the political will to do so and also we are so corrupt deeply that it is very difficult to come out from it, until we kill all the persons involved, i mean to say that the root must e found and e destroyed and that is very difficult.......

venkat

i was telling this .instead of buying INS VIK, give the amount to Afghan talibans !!! You will see a simple suicide blast in Karachi!!! The end to D-company!!!

tramp

In fact the matter does not need political sanction as Dawood has been declared a threat to the nation already. Therefore, it is the duty of R&AW to liquidate him, even if the political leadership does not grow the long missing balls to take a proactive role. I think it is high time R&AW got Dawood, Hafeez Saeed and Maulana Azhar Mahmood.... In fact in Azhar's case R&AW should have struck within months after he was released. If they can't they should have taken help from Mossad. They would have loved such an adventure inside Pakistan.

Decklander

i was telling this .instead of buying INS VIK, give the amount to Afghan talibans !!! You will see a simple suicide blast in Karachi!!! The end to D-company!!!
We tried that. Hafeez got away due to stupidity of suicide bombers. we now have to give a cooling time so that his security relaxes before we try again. We are not going to let this bastard die a normal death.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Most in the knowhow know the address of Dawood Ibrahim, his security detail, his numbers etc.

And no he is not in Karachi right now and his protection detail includes guards with RPGs.

Edit: Anees Ibrahmin used to live in Jumeraih proudly till the pressure got to him.
Dawood Ibrahmin also leaves enough clues just to make sure everyone in the Indian establishment knows his whereabouts.
They are both cocky bastards.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
May bea brahmos missile lost in transportation will take out his house and surrounding area, when he is talking on phone.

boris

Country flag
We tried that. Hafeez got away due to stupidity of suicide bombers. we now have to give a cooling time so that his security relaxes before we try again. We are not going to let this bastard die a normal death.
I agree double taps to the skull are what they deserve.

tramp

We are inept in catching terrorists roaming around in our country and we are talking about catching a terrorist in terrorist haven Pakiland.
You forget stuff India exports has traditionally been far superior to that sold in domestic market!!

naseem

Afghan taliban to hamarai sath hai aur us ki location kon bataiga kiya pata woh karachi mai na ho kisi aur shahar mai ho

naseem

All that is needed is this

But our netas are themselves involved in criminal activities.
It is not that easy hum kab ka yah suntao arahai hai kah woh karachi mai hai kiya woh karachi lai ilava kahi aur nahi rah sakta

TrueSpirit

What I want to discuss is

A) When do you Sanction such an operation?

B) How do you approach this task &

C) Who do you Choose to undertake this task?[/B]

Please note that This is only to discuss tactics of the operation and not on the politics behind the operation. Also, this can very well apply to any terrorist who is enjoying his heaven on Earth....
OK, Get a fleet of MQ-9 Reapers & rain Hellfire on this fugitive.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles