Will India ever get a quality Internet?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Mad Indian, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

So there has been lot of talk regarding GSTs/Land reforms and Labor refroms. But no one is interested in talking about the internet reforms. So am I the only one who is frustrated with the useless internet connection?

Will we Indians ever get a quality internet? I for one believe that the present day Internet in india is bogged down by license raj, facilitated by the big Corps and BSNLs to prevent further entry of new ISPs inside so that they can keep their ridiculously shitty and retarded quality internet all the while extorting BS prices for their shitty Internet.

PPP and law of large numbers suggest that India should have a very small cost for high quality internet services but what we instead have is that we in India have a very costly internet with shitty quality.

For fcuk sake even bangladesh recently made a regulation stating that speed below 2Mbps cannot be called broadband. So now we are reduced to being lesser that half pakis?:frusty:. For a country with a supposedly awesome telecom revolution, we are pathetic if we are having internet services worse than Bangladesh

And what is the Modi govt going to do for overhauling the useless internet sector? For heavens sake it is not even a controversial issue for it to be cleared in RS. Do they even plan on reforming this useless sector?

@Bangalorean @rock127 @Rowdy @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @tarunraju @blueblood and any other technical experts on this issue please state your opinions

3. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

@Mad Indian what is your definition of quality internet?
    Ever since broadband internet is available in the country i have been using it, i never had shitty internet problems. I am now at 50 Mbps line in Hyderabad. In my opinion it is all about choosing the right ISP, and also be willing to pay the right price.

4. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

http://www.bbnl.nic.in/content/page/national-optical-fibre-networknofn.php

At present OFC (Optical Fibre Cable) connectivity is available in all State Capitals, Districts, HQs and upto the Block Level. There is a plan to connect all the 2,50,000 Gram panchayats in the country. This will be done by utilizing existing fibres of PSUs (BSNL, Railtel and Power Grid) and laying incremental fibre to connect to Gram Panchayats wherever necessary. Dark fibre network thus created will be lit by appropriate technology thus creating sufficient bandwidth at the Gram Panchayats. This will be called the National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN). Thus connectivity gap between Gram Panchayats and Blocks will be filled.

Non-discriminatory access to the NOFN will be provided to all the Service Providers. These service providers like Telecom Service Providers(TSPs), ISPs, Cable TV operators and Content providers can launch various services in rural areas. Various categories of applications like e-health, e-education and e-governance etc. can be provided by these operators. The NOFN project is estimated to cost about Rs. 20,000 Cr. It is proposed to be completed in 2 years’ time. The project will be funded by the Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF).

http://www.dw.com/en/indias-ambitio...idge-digital-divide-in-rural-areas/a-18223792

http://deity.gov.in/sites/upload_files/dit/files/Digital India.pdf
    ^^^ This PDF is good
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Track progress here

LETHALFORCE and VIP like this.
  5. Mad Indian

What you are refering to is limited to few pockets of Hyderabad.

the same is the case with Chennai. What I am talking about is when we are going to have internet speeds/quality comparable to that of the developed countries?

BTW, the 3G prices in India is actually costlier than what I saw in UK. You think that is correct and you find no problem in that?

6. Mad Indian

@Rowdy Why do I get a feeling that this internet will be low quality low speed bs? May be because I dont trust the govt providing actual service of any quality ever?

BTW, you know there is a very easy way to eliminate most of the problems of the present telecom stagnation? Just remove the useless red tape and licence raj. And trust me, Indian internet will become top notch comparable to the ones in UK/US in quality with rates cheaper than them in just 5-10 years

When South koreans are planning on introducing 5G by 2019, we would not even have proper 4G by 2019

7. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

I agree about mobile internet. All the 2G/3G crap is pathetic. Airtel 4G works well, but 4G network is available only around 50% of the time - rest of the time the phone automatically switches to 3G or 2G.

However, I see no problem with wired internet. In 2009 I had 1 Mbps internet. In 2010 I graduated to 10 Mbps. In 2014 I moved to 20 Mbps, and now I have 50 Mbps.

I pay Rs. 1450 per month for 50 Mbps internet. It is also "unlimited" (i.e. 75 GB limit, with subsequent usage limited to 5 Mbps). This is among the cheapest in the world. And its reliable too. What I have is far superior to my ex-colleagues and friends in the US/Europe.

I think we're on the right track w.r.t. wired internet. But something really needs to be done about these accursed mobile operators and their pathetic internet.

8. Rowdy

This link details a few steps that are being taken
    http://computer.financialexpress.com/news/trai-proposals-to-enhance-broadband-speed-soon/11234/
    Now ... the situation will improve but As far as internet is concerned , it will not be as good as SK but way better than What we have now. BTW the golden law of internet , which holds true here in the EU too is
    Fast, Cheap, Easily Accessible - YOU CAN GET ANY TWO.

9. ezsasa

i am pretty sure andhra as a whole does not have a Broadband connectivity problem, i even got a 10 mbps line in places like Kakinada and rajamundry which are tier 2 cities/towns.

Not sure about chennai on the whole, but i usually stay in RA Puram and i never had a problem there.

As far as 3G prices go, it is all about selecting the correct data plan. i don't think we should use the 1kb/10 paise as a benchmark for comparing prices.

while i agree that some parts of india are yet to be wired up, but i don't think it is so bad as you make it to be. Once NOFN is complete, maybe demand will drive prices even down.

If not anything else!!! once reliance launches Jio 4G, pretty sure they will drive down prices as they did back in 2002/03.

10. Rowdy

In Europe I saw plans like 35 € p.m. for 50 GB @ 20Mbps + landline I was like no fucking way

11. ezsasa

@Rowdy

appreciated if you can share link for NOFN progress status, i am unable to find it from the link you posted !!!!

12. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

I use airtel 4G dongle and it is fine here in Bangalore !

13. ezsasa

how much bandwidth you are getting on speedtest.net for your 50 mbps line? i am paying 2500 Rs/- for 100 gb download limit.

14. Sylex21

Sylex21 Regular Member

Simple answer: YES

"EVER" is a really strong word. Nearly everything will happen eventually. India getting fast internet is just a matter of time.

15. thethinker

thethinker Senior Member Senior Member

It is not as much a matter of speed choices as it is of what constitutes minimum broadband speed.

10 Mbps and higher plans are available with govt ISPs like MTNL, private telcos and local cable operators. These plans are FUP (Fair Usage Policy) based and do provide ample limit for most of the regular internet usage.

Problem is the guideline of broadband speed as minimum 2 Mbps for all plans regardless of FUPs which was supposed to be available is still not implemented.

Part of this is because of the varied and unreliable last mile connectivity, other factors include ISPs milking as much as they can giving the bare minimum without having to upgrade.

In fact, mobile data plans saw a significant hike in tariffs without much change in quality due to increased use of smartphones.

16. Rowdy

Hey!
    I was not clear in my post ... There is a tracking system but only for officials :(
    Aam Aadmi has to keep an eye out @ what's new section
    http://deity.gov.in/whatsnew

17. thethinker

thethinker Senior Member Senior Member

This was supposed to be in 2015, now pushed back.

TRAI reiterates plan to provide 600 million people 2Mbps broadband by 2020

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/techno...-people-2mbps-broadband-by-2020/1/430725.html

TRAI on Friday reiterated the plan to have a minimum speed of 2Mbps on broadband for 600 million users in the country by 2020 as a part of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Digital India initiative. The plan also envisages that a speed of 100 mbps will be made available on demand.

TRAI's latest recommendations suggest that by 2017, 175 million broadband connections have to be established. Additionally, broadband access for all village panchayats through a combination of technologies was supposed to be started in 2014 and progressively reach all villages and habitats by 2020.

However, as these targets were on the basis of the national telecom policy, some of them had not been achieved.

TRAI made these recommendations in a paper titled "Recommendations on Delivering Broadband Quickly: What do we need to do?"

The paper reveals some disturbing facts. For instance, it says, "India ranks 125th in the world for fixed broadband (BB) penetration with only 1.2 per 100 inhabitants having access to fixed BB; the global average is 9.4 per 100 inhabitants."

With regards to household penetration within developing countries, India is ranked 75 with only 13 per cent penetration. It has also been pointed out that India falls in the category of the least connected countries that fall within the low IDI group.

Some other important highlights of the conclusions include the suggestion to "align spectrum bands with globally harmonised bands to achieve interference-free coexistence and economies of scale."

Also, there are points that propose auditing of the spectrum allocation, a roadmap for spectrum management, consumer awareness programs for the latest information on EMF radiation that stems from towers and time bound clearance for the installation of towers.

Lastly, the conclusion also states that cable operators should be allowed to be function as resellers of ISP as they can take advantage of their cable network to provide broadband.

TRAI is currently in the middle of a debate around the concept of net neutrality. In the case of net neutrality, its stances has been slammed by web users and net activists.

18. CrYsIs

CrYsIs Regular Member

Wow people bitching about 50 MBPS.

Just imagine the plight of a person like me who has to live with 786 kbps and is forced to shell out 1000 Rs a month.With this kind of speed even browsing simple websites becomes difficult.

This is the life for you if you live in Bimaru region.

Illusive and Riddler_22 like this.
  19. ezsasa

i used to track bbnl site, the govt agency responsible for NOFN implementation. stopped doing it since the data hardly ever changes.
    http://www.bbnl.nic.in/content/

20. ezsasa

last i heard, there are some issues between cost sharing between centre and states to implement the cabling work. states like andhra have decided to do it on their own and others are still waiting to fleece Central govt for grants. The sense i got was that NOFN is not on priority list for most of the state govts.

21. ezsasa

Revamp for NOFN project
    http://www.financialexpress.com/article/economy/revamp-for-nofn-project/76189/

The ambitious National Optic Fibre Network (NOFN) project is set to undergo a major revamp in its entire structure post a high-level review by PM Narendra Modiearlier this month.

Apart from roping in the private sector, state governments are also being roped in to widen the inflow of funds and for speedier completion of the project, which aims at linking the country’s 2.5 lakh villages by high speed broadband services.

Communications and IT minister Ravi Shankar Prasad has convened a meeting of all state IT ministers and secretaries on May 29 to discuss the ways in which they can become partners in the project. Some states such as Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, and Tamil Nadu have already proposed to the Centre that they be made in-charge of implementing it in their respective states.

Since the project aims at linking the district headquarters with blocks and villages through broadband, the state governments would be best equipped to implement it and can also provide faster right of way for putting the fibre, they have argued.

Sources said that at the meeting, Prasad is going to explore which states are willing to come on board and to what extent, both operationally and financially. Since the project would also involve the private sector, fresh mapping would be done.

The project, which is running behind schedule but is critical to the PM’s Digital India programme, is currently being implemented by Bharat Broadband Nigam, a subsidiary of state-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam. Other PSUs like PowerGrid and RailTel are also part of it. Work allocation between the three is in the ratio of 70:15:15.

However, recently a government appointed committee, comprising former Nasscom presidents Kiran Karnik and Som Mittal, former secretary, department of electronics and information technology, J Satyanarayana, and USOF administrator Aruna Sundararajan, recommended a mode which is a mix between central public sector undertakings, state governments and the private sector.

“The committee was deeply conscious of the need to ensure that the implementation model should not lead to a single agency enjoying, directly or indirectly, the ability to control the network or market power in dictating prices,” the report has noted.

It also suggested that the project be renamed Bharat-Net and be headed by a chairman from the private sector.
    Roping in the private sector and state governments would also bring about additional funding since the committee has reviewed the cost upward to around Rs 70,000 crore from the current Rs 21,000 crore.

Currently, the entire funding is coming from the universal service obligation fund, which has funds of around Rs 50,000 crore, but making it available would be tough since this levy from the telecom operators flow in the consolidated fund of India and is diverted to other usage as well.

Earlier, a review by the department of telecommunications on the status of the implementation of the project threw up the fact that it was moving at a tardy pace in almost all circles with even tenders not in place.

For instance, out of 1.2 lakh km of work to be done in phase-I ending March 2015, only 13,000 km of pipe and 7,400 km of cable has been laid so far. Work has started in only 455 blocks of the total 6,533 blocks earmarked for the first phase.

Wiring up

* Telecom minister to meet state IT secretaries on May 29
    * Private sector to be roped in for the project
    * States like Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala have evinced interest
    * Remodelling to further delay project, push up cost from R20,000 crore to over R70,000 crore

thethinker likes this.