Will China Launch an Anti-Satellite Test Soon?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
China may be gearing up to perform a controversial anti-satellite test this month, perhaps in the next week or two, some experts say.

For several months, rumors have been circulating within the United States defense and intelligence communities that a Chinese anti-satellite test is imminent, says Gregory Kulacki of the Union of Concerned Scientists. It could even be conducted on Jan. 11, the date on which China performed ASAT operations in both 2007 and 2010.

"Given these high-level administration concerns, and past Chinese practice, there seems to be a strong possibility China will conduct an ASAT test within the next few weeks," Kulacki wrote in a blog post today (Jan. 4). "What kind of test and what the target might be is unclear."

In the 2007 test, China destroyed one of its own defunct weather satellites at an altitude of 530 miles (850 kilometers), spawning about 3,000 new pieces of space junk. The 2010 operation used similar technology to take out an object that was not in orbit.

The upcoming ASAT test — if China is indeed planning one — may not necessarily be so destructive, Kulacki says. [Top 10 Space Weapons]

"There are different types of technologies that can be used as ASAT weapons, and a satellite may not be destroyed at all," he wrote today. "The planned test could be of the same technology as the 2007 and 2010 tests but in a missile defense or flyby mode, or a test of technology that doesn't destroy a satellite."

Some U.S. officials suspect China may want to go higher than it did in either 2007 or 2010, targeting an object 12,000 miles (20,000 km) or so above Earth's surface. This ability to reach medium-Earth orbit (MEO) could theoretically put the constellation of U.S. Global Positioning System navigational satellites at risk.

"But there are good reasons for China not to destroy a satellite at this orbit, including that China plans to use this part of space," Kulacki wrote. "Creating debris, as it now understands, would threaten its own satellites. Over the next several years, China plans to place more than 20 new navigational satellites in MEO."

Kulacki urges the Obama Administration to attempt to dissuade China from conducting any more destructive ASAT tests. Both the United States and the Soviet Union abandoned such tests as their space programs matured, he notes.

"Hopefully, China will eventually come to a similar conclusion," Kulacki wrote. "Beginning a meaningful bilateral dialogue on space security between the United States and China could hasten the day."

Is China Launching an Anti-Satellite Test This Month? | Space.com

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
hope we will also test ASAT soon before some stupid treaty ban it.

G90

India have not signed any treat, its only because india, being a fourth world hellhole, dont have the technology to do such test.

As for China's coming ASAT, it will be the most advanced ASAT test ever conducted in human history:

(1) First it will attack a satelliate at orbit 30000 km away from earth ( the current world record is also hold by China, which only destoried satellite 1000 km away from earth).

(2) It will be destoried by KKV, which only China and USA at the moment mastered this state of the art technology.

Last edited:

DaTang

Tihar Jail
Banned
India have not signed any treat, its only because india, being a fourth world hellhole, dont have the technology to do such test.

As for China's coming ASAT, it will be the most advanced ASAT test ever conducted in human history:

(1) First it will attack a satelliate at orbit 30000 km away from earth ( the current world record is also hold by China, which only destoried satellite 1000 km away from earth).

(2) It will be destoried by KKV, which only China and USA at the moment mastered this state of the art technology.
KKV is good, but laser is the future though. we should not be satisfied with current development.
They are now using laser to intercept incoming vehicles.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I certainly hope they try a real world test instead of the worthless controlled environment of 2007. Hitting space junk with a preplanned launch ain't exactly real world.

cir

I certainly hope they try a real world test instead of the worthless controlled environment of 2007. Hitting space junk with a preplanned launch ain't exactly real world.
It is such a pity that you were not the president of the USA,or any ordinary American for that matter,for if you were,China would be left alone doing what it pleases without being accused of a threat to an American-dominated world order。:rofl:

nimo_cn

Country flag
China has no such technology, too complicated to be grasped by China

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
China has no such technology, too complicated to be grasped by China
Oh My God!! Did you really say that? Mighty China with its super advanced industrial set up cannot do this?

Good bit from you here. Proves you are from the propaganda brigade.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Go for it, rest of the world never did it because they fear for satellite debry in space which will endanger satellite and man missions.
As far Indian capability is concern, we have all the building blocks to make a test any time we want, but GOI is against weaponisation of space.
Stupid policy.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It is such a pity that you were not the president of the USA,or any ordinary American for that matter,for if you were,China would be left alone doing what it pleases without being accused of a threat to an American-dominated world order。
Who needs to be president of the US? Make me dictator of the EU and I will show you a new world order.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Oh My God!! Did you really say that? Mighty China with its super advanced industrial set up cannot do this?

Good bit from you here. Proves you are from the propaganda brigade.
OK, smart guy, China masters the best ASAT technology, and is capable of shooting down any satellite.

How does that sound?

Am I becoming the head of the propaganda brigade?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
OK, smart guy, China masters the best ASAT technology, and is capable of shooting down any satellite.

How does that sound?

She huh say the best tech yes you may be going overboard. If you say you are developing ASAT then I'd say well you are saying the truth.

cir

How does that sound?

Typical logic of simple minded people.

By the same logic, I am tempted to think that all Indians here are from India's propaganda department, though they might not have such an organ in name. :rofl:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

How does that sound?

in one test you have done mastery wonder what will happen after so many tests. :rofl:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles