Wikileaks given data on Swiss bank accounts

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by EagleOne, Jan 17, 2011.

1. EagleOne

EagleOne Regular Member

A former Swiss banker has passed on data containing account details of 2,000 prominent people to Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

The data - which is not yet available on the Wikileaks website - was held on two discs handed over by Rudolf Elmer at a press conference in London.

Mr Assange promised full disclosure once the information had been vetted.

Mr Elmer is scheduled to go on trial in Switzerland on Wednesday for breaking bank secrecy laws.

The banker, who has given data to Wikileaks before, was fired from Swiss bank Julius Baer in 2002.

According to a report in Swiss newspaper Der Sonntag, the data covers multinationals, financial firms and wealthy individuals from many countries, including the UK, US and Germany, and covers the period 1990-2009.
    Serious Fraud Office

"Once we have looked at the data... there will be full revelation," said Mr Assange, who is currently under house arrest in the UK due to an extradition request from Sweden.

He said the data would be vetted but that it was difficult to say how long this would take. The vetting would depend on the volume of information and how it was delegated, Mr Assange said, although he suggested it could be as little as two weeks.

Other groups - such as the Tax Justice Network or financial media outlets - might be asked to help in the vetting process, he added.

Mr Assange also said some information was likely to be handed over to the authorities - mentioning specifically the UK's Serious Fraud Office - as was the case with a previous leak concerning Icelandic banks.

Although it was not confirmed what activities might be covered by the data, the Wikileaks head noted that previous data from Julius Baer provided by Mr Elmer had shed light on tax evasion, the hiding of proceeds of criminal acts and "the protection of assets of those about to fall out of political favour".
    'Fire-breathing dragon'

"I'm against the system. I know how the system works," said Mr Elmer at the press conference. He said a sophisticated network existed to funnel illicit money into secret offshore accounts.

"I've been there. I've done the job. I know what is the day-to-day business," he said, explaining why he thought it important to identify himself as the source.

The banker, who worked as Julius Baer's chief operating officer in the Cayman Islands, said he and his family faced pressure akin to "a fire-breathing dragon with several heads" after he decided to blow the whistle.

He said he was put in prison in Switzerland for 30 days for violating Swiss banking rules, and that he was offered money and the withdrawal of charges against him in order to buy his silence.

He said the data included the offshore accounts of about 40 politicians, and covered accounts at three banks, including his former employer.

The banker said that he and his wife had written a letter to German Finance Minister Peer Steinbruck, offering to provide the data for free, but received no response.

How many Indians do u think their will be in this 2000

:flame::flame: In politicians head

3. Oracle

Oracle New Member

The cat has just been set among the Pigeons. In hindsight, it will be interesting to see GoI reaction's after the documents are released. However, I don't think this list will include all of the Indian money stashed away. Good developments! Enough to cause the top echelons in Delhi sleepless nights.

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Now those who parrot the phrase dood ka dood, pani ka pani will happen, but there will still be some people who will escape the net!

5. Oracle

Oracle New Member

That's the norm Ray Sir. Chor chor, mausere bhai!

6. Welcome

Welcome Regular Member

i am very curious and want to see the total wealth of Indians specially sonia gandhi and Rahul Baba. just imagine what will happen when you found sonia & rahul in top of the list......

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  7. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

Every person who has been a position of authority or power and has had an opportunity to embezzle money for a minimum of Rs 1 crore or so, probably has had a numbered account in the Switzerland.We will be kidding ourselves if we assume they are having sleepless nights,they'll be sleeping tight alright,until all this blows over like a bad dream.

8. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

That will be interesting to see. Iam sure few govts in few countires will be topled up.

9. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Indian thieves are one step ahead of western counterparts!!!

They are not idiots to have in there own name and i wouldn't be surprised if there's a name at all!!

Indians will win gold medal in corruption.

10. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

1 Crore?? Thats it?

An IAS couple from MP, was caught with Hotels in Switzerland (private family vacation spot)and property worth Rs 400 Crore....and value of money in unknown/fraud Investments is beyond anyone's comprehension!! :)

Now you can imagine the magnanimity of corruption at higher echelons of power!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  11. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Any guesses who's name will come?? here from my side

1) Susri maya darling.
    2) Zordari
    3) Shareeeef Bros

yeah 3 to pake ha

12. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

India ,Indians and corruption go back a long away,long back when one crore was big enough to be stash away in a Swiss bank.

13. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

Lets be realistic SATAji, even in 60-70s its not possible that someone/politician will stash only 1crore in the Swiss Banks, looking at the shameless appetite of Con-gress and Gandhis and Vadras, I can say they were still making 100-200 crore per big deal then and stashing them!!

P.S: I hope we keep a keen eye on what Assange comes out with, knowing our Sick-ular/lobbyist/corrupt media, its very much possible that they may Black-out wikileaks in regards to Swiss bank accounts of Gandhis and Con-gress politicians (as in the case of Radia Tapes)!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  14. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

************fixed************