Widespread ethnic killings in karachi

Rage

DFI TEAM
There are crazy stories like that about every city. In some major cities like New York, Los Angels Moscow, Johannesburg etc dozens are killed everyday by criminals or in gang wars. Even in Mumbai, the mafia kills off a lot of people.
Su-47, to be sure, if I print info here from a human source, you can rest assured that that source is unimpeachable. The source I mentioned has traveled extensively throughout Asia: including Afghanistan, Iran and India, and spent nine months in the city of Karachi alone. When he says he woke up every morning (and I mean in the wee hours of daybreak) to donkey carts plowing dead bodies through the streets of the city either because the land mafia or local Shi'a and Sunni sects went on the rampage the previous night, or the MQM took it upon themselves to snipe one of their more vociferous political opponents, he ain't shittin' me. This man does not exaggerate, and he will call a spade a spade. You say "there are crazy stories like that about every city...[including] Mumbai", but it is poignant to note that the situation in Karachi in terms of murders, political unrest, kidnapping and gang-warfare is far worse than in Mumbai. Infact, the situation has deteriorated over the years as the following reports by the US Overseas Security Advisory Council will demonstrate:

Pakistan 2008 Crime & Safety Report: Karachi

India 2008 Crime & Safety Report: Mumbai

Note that the primary concerns for US visitors and diplomatic personnel in the city of Karachi remain terrorism, civilian unrest, kidnappings for ransom, murders, political and sectarian violence. While in Mumbai, while the report does mention "murders and other violent crimes", it goes on to qualify that statement by saying that these "...for the most part have been isolated to the congested parts of the city". Increasingly also the report mentions that the primary cause of concern for US expatriates, citizens and diplomatic personnel in Mumbai are "the complexity and capability of organizations conducting organized white collar financial scams and crimes".

The fact that we do not hear about the daily killings in their cities in our media (perhaps as a consequence of their far less significance to us) in no way diminishes the fact that these are routine.

The following video clip may be of some help:

YouTube - Karachi: A City At War With Itself - Pakistan

We have MQM to thank for holding their largest financial hub hostage. They are a major strategic asset.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Karachi violence hits industrial output, exports

By Parvaiz Ishfaq Rana
Friday, 01 May, 2009 | 11:53 AM PST |

As tension and panic gripped the city, public transport and goods-carriers generally remained
off the roads resulting in low attendance and loss of production for most businesses. - Online
photo

KARACHI: The ethnic violence has crippled industrial and business activity in the metropolitan city resulting in the loss of billions of rupees in production and revenue.

As tension and panic gripped the city the public transport generally remained off the roads on Thursday and the people were unable to reach their workplaces and industrial units.

The movement of goods from industrial units to the ports for export shipments was also badly affected as owners of goods-carriers did not ply their vehicles fearing arson and looting.

The five industrial estates of the city suffered badly as most of the units faced production losses owing to poor attendance of workers. On an average the attendance in factories was 40 to 50 per cent but the industries located close to disturbed areas of North Karachi totally remained out of production.

However, big industrial units in Landhi industrial area worked at full capacity as they mostly house their workers within the premises.

MA Jabbar, chairman Site Association of Industry (SAI) said that most of the industries were affected by poor attendance of workers and non-availability of goods carriers.

In the absence of goods carriers, inward and outward movement of goods came to a halt. He said that the industry brings in raw material for processing and needed transport for taking out finished goods from the factory for export or for local sale.

Since the Wednesday violence created tension in the city with reports of some fresh killings on Thursday the entire business climate was marred in the absence of poor security.

Jabbar said that the Site area is the biggest industrial estate of the country where around 5,000 industrial units of medium and large size are operating but the area police had only four vehicles for patrolling with only 250 policemen.

The Site chairman said that industries located in this area produce goods worth Rs3 billion daily out of which goods worth Rs1 billion are for export.

Zahid Hussain, chairman Korangi Association of Trade and Industry (Kati) said that as tension gripped the city on Wednesday workers did not turn up at work. Furthermore, he said as the public transport also remained off the road after a large number of vehicles were torched people faced difficulty in reaching their work places.

As the goods could not leave from industrial units of the Kati there were no exports resulting in huge losses to exporters who failed to meet their shipping schedule. There was an estimated 40 per cent loss in production on Thursday, he maintained.

Usman Jhakora senior vice-chairman Landhi Association of Trade and Industry (Lati), however, said that industry in his area functioned normally and worked at full capacity because most of the units located in Landhi normally provide housing facility to their workers within the factory premises.

The worst-affected was the North Karachi Industrial Estate as it fell close to the area of Wednesday’s bloody violence. Mohammad Younus Khamisani, chairman of the association said that most of the industrial units in his area remained closed because there was no public transport.

Masroor Ahmed Alvi, chairman F B Area Association of Trade and Industry said industrial activity in the area almost came to a grinding halt as workers did not turn up. There was only 30 to 40 per cent attendance in factories.

DAWN.COM | Business | Karachi violence hits industrial output, exports

Rage

DFI TEAM
An interesting blog I came across that is relevant to the discussion at hand, and loaded with some poignant political satire:

Failed State? Not really

Sometime back, Newsweek named Pakistan the most dangerous place on earth. Now, the American magazine Foreign Policy has come up with its own most dangerous place. Surprisingly, it is not Pakistan. They name Somalia as the most dangerous country. In addition to a detailed article about the perils to life in Mogadishu, the Somalian capital, they came up with a chart of 60 countries that pass for failed states. They have graded the countries on indicators of instability that are as varied as human flight, human rights, economy and factionalized elite among others.

There are no marks for guessing that Pakistan gets an honourable mention in the top ten. It is the ninth most failed state after Somalia, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Chad, Iraq, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Afghanistan and Ivory Coast – all fairly failed states. What did get my goat, however, was that Pakistan is considered more failed than Central African Republic, which came in tenth. Central African Republic? No one would even know where the country is if its name were not so geographically specific.

But it’s not just the good ol’ Central African Republic – Pakistan is more failed a state than Ethiopia (16), Liberia (34), which is famous for its blood diamonds and child soldiers, and Malawi (29), a heaven for celebrities looking to adopt kids without much ado.

The chart is designed with the maximum point of 10 for any indicator – the more failed a state is, the higher the score would be on most indicators. According to the chart, out of the 12 indicators of instability, Pakistan’s least worrisome performance has been in economy and – believe it or not – public services. It is a known fact that electricity –rather, the lack thereof – has wreaked havoc with our lives and economy. If that’s come out smelling of roses, imagine how bad the score would be on other indicators.

Group grievances, security apparatus and external intervention were among the higher scoring indicators. I personally think the chart is biased and is part of an international conspiracy to besmirch the good name of Pakistan. For instance, it has been suggested that US Drones that are said to be flying from Afghanistan are actually taking off from our own airfields. If that’s the case, then the level of external intervention is not as high as has been indicated in the chart.

Similarly, if the number of times traffic is blocked in the main cities of Pakistan to clear passage for high-ranking officials is any indicator of our security apparatus at work, it seems to be working just fine – that is, for the government officials, if not for all Pakistanis. Pakistan may score high in group grievances, but that is to be expected in a multi-ethnic country. If Baloch people have any issues with the federal government about royalty of its resources and the fate of its missing persons, it’s not that big a deal. After all, they comprise only 4 percent of the population.

Pakistan also scored high on delegitimization of the state. This was perhaps correct in the past, but it has been taken care of since last month. We have officially signed deals with dissident groups in Swat and Bajaur Agency and handed over districts and cities to them. Now they are the ones who are officially administering those areas and government of Pakistan cannot be held responsible for the deligitimization of the state.

The highest scoring indicator for Pakistan is the curiously titled factionalized elites. Contrary to scoring in the chart, the Pakistani elite does not seem all that factionalized. The elite has been quite focused, coherent and persistent in evading the taxes while piling indirect ones on the poor people of Pakistan. It can also be thanked for upholding the flight of Pakistani capital out of the country, investing in the Middle East, signing over parts of the country to militants, selling public goods, and denying external intervention in matters of governance. If anything, they have proven to be the most consistently performing group of the country.

The Dawn Blog Blog Archive Failed State? Not really

Su-47

Sorry if my comments ticked you off Rage. I am not trying to belittle your posts or to contradict them. I wasn't denying the credibility of your source either.

Rather i was just pointing out that every major city sees its share of suffering. I know how in Johannesburg dead bodies have to be picked off the streets everyday. I was merely pointing out that Karachi isn't unique in this aspect.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Sorry if my comments ticked you off Rage. I am not trying to belittle your posts or to contradict them. I wasn't denying the credibility of your source either.

Rather i was just pointing out that every major city sees its share of suffering. I know how in Johannesburg dead bodies have to be picked off the streets everyday. I was merely pointing out that Karachi isn't unique in this aspect.
No worries b, and no your comments didn't tick me off.

I know about the crime rate in Johannesburg. I've been to Südafrika- Johannesburg in particular, but take my word for it when I say that the situation in Johannesburg is not nearly an approximation of the one in Karachi. Every city has crime- petty and serious, and to use your own words, "Karachi is not unique in this respect". However, the point I' trying to drive home is this: that over an above its regular sources of crime, Karachi is ruled by the MQM with an iron fist, and any vocal or political opposition is summarily dispatched by its leagues of hit squads. That is what makes Karachi "unique": that the monopoly over violence which is an instrument of law in the hands of the state, has been usurped by a political party which violates it through murders and abductions on a near-daily basis for its own party ends, and uses it to take the city hostage and bring it to a grinding halt on an almost weekly one. Moreso, this 'monopoly' no longer remains a monopoly- ironically as concomitant of the breakdown of law itself. So what you have is the continuous degeneration of law- beginning right from the top, that exacerbates an otherwise already volatile security situation present in most crowded, inadequately maintained south asian cities.

Rage

DFI TEAM
7-years-old girl married under Vani

7-years-old girl married under Vani

Monday, May 04, 2009

LAHORE: A seven-year-old girl was married to a 22-year-old man to settle a dispute under Vani in village 206G/B of Tandliawala. A private TV channel reported Shaukat Ali had married Razia Bibi two years ago but her family had refused to accept the marriage and demanded the hand of Ali’s sister in marriage under Vani.

A panchayat held on the issue forcibly married 7-year-old Shazia to Ghulam Jaffar. However, after the girl’s parents refused to comply, Razia Bibi registered a case against six people, including Shazia’s father and mother. Shazia has appealed to the government for help. daily times monitor

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Rage

DFI TEAM
Vani: Pakistan's 'Sati' equivalent

What is Vani?

'Vani' is a child marriage custom in tribal areas of Pakistan. Besides tribal areas, it is widely followed in Punjab in Pakistan. This custom is tied to blood feuds among the different tribes and clans where the young girls are forcibly married to the members of different clans in order to resolve the feuds. The Vani could be avoided if the clan of the girl agrees to pay money, called 'Deet'. Otherwise the young bride may spend her life paying for the crime of her male relatives.

The custom is illegal in Pakistan but still practiced in some areas. Recently the courts in Pakistan have begun taking serious note and action against the continuation of the practice.

PAKISTAN: Focus on ‘vani’ – the practice of giving away young women to settle feuds

MIANWALI, 16 March 2006 (IRIN) - Each day, Fareedullah Khan, nearly 70, reads items from the newspaper to his wife, Sakina Bibi, 60. The items he picks out from the columns of dense, Urdu-language print concern the custom of 'vani', or the giving away of girls in forced marriage to the male relatives of murder victims.

The traditional Pakistani practice is used as compensation for the crime and a means to settle feuds between two families or clans. The elderly couple has a reason to be interested. Nearly 20 years ago, their granddaughter became a 'vani' - to pay for a murder committed by her paternal uncle. She has since lived a life of misery, as a virtual slave within the home of a husband 30 years her senior.

ORIGINS

Today, her grandparents hope the brutal tribal custom can be ended. "It is a terrible thing. The girls handed over to rival families are innocent of crime, and they are always treated like enemies within the homes of their spouses," Fareedullah told IRIN. His wife nodded sadly, contemplating the fate of their favourite grandchild. Both fervently support a new campaign against the practice.

On 7 March, in Mianwali, a town of some 85,000 people in north-western Punjab, located 200 km south of the capital Islamabad, the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) organised a meeting to coincide with International Women's Day to speak out against 'vani'.

SPEAKING OUT

"Such customs thrive in oppressive environments," HRCP chairperson and human rights activist Asma Jahangir said during her speech. Many women at the meeting said they wanted to get the practice of ‘vani’ banned.

Women appear to be less tolerant of such practices today and are increasingly prepared to speak out against them.

THREE SISTERS

Late in 2005, in an incident that galvanised public opinion against 'vani', three sisters in the village of Sultanwala, in Mianwali district, took a bold stand against the practice, warning they would commit collective suicide if wed forcibly to men from a rival family.

The sisters, Abda, Amna and Sajda Khan, all still in their teens, and all well educated, were put forward for 'vani' 14 years ago, when they were still toddlers. Their uncle, Mohammad Iqbal Khan, had at the time killed his cousin and then gone into hiding to escape a death sentence.

A tribal council called to resolve the issue offered him a pardon – in exchange for five women from his family being handed over as 'vani' when they came of age to male members of the victim’s family. The women, then mere children, included Iqbal's own daughter, and his nieces, Abda, Amna and Sajda.

"I agreed only out of fear. If I had not done so, I would have been killed by now," says Iqbal, pointing out that his cousins live just across the road from his own house.

The practice has plenty of support in the region, where it is viewed as a way to prevent blood feuds that can continue for generations and claim dozens of lives.

But the Khan sisters are lucky – they have been supported by their father, Jehan Khan Niazi, who is determined his daughters will not pay for the crimes of others. He has moved the young women away from the village to protect them, and says: "I agreed to the custom at gun-point. But my daughters are innocent, and have their rights. They are educated, and this makes them able to stand up for justice."

COURT JUDGEMENT

In a landmark judgment in December 2005, the Supreme Court of Pakistan, hearing several petitions against 'vani', ordered police in the Punjab and neighbouring North West Frontier Province (NWFP) to protect women given in marriage under the custom, which had already been declared illegal two years ago.

The court made specific reference to the need to protect potential 'vani' victims in Mianwali district, including the Khan sisters.

But old traditions cannot just be legislated against and left at that, Jahangir argues. The family to whom the five girls in Mianwali were to be handed over, continue to demand the pledge be honoured, and insist the girls are in fact already the wives of male members of their clan.

Ziaullah Khan, a Mianwali-based activist for the Karwan Community Development Association, an NGO, says that since the Sultanwala case: "At least 20 to 30 other persons have come forward to report 'vani'."

She added that despite the ban on the practice, both by courts and the Punjab government, cases of girls being given away in compensation still take place. Most incidents have been reported in the Mianwali district, with some reports in the media stating there have been at least a dozen cases within the last year.

[Excerpted from Wikipedia and the IRIN news agency]

Rage

DFI TEAM
ANP to shutter its offices in Karachi

Sunday, May 03, 2009

KARACHI: The Awami National Party in Sindh has decided to shut down all its units and wards in Karachi due to the prevailing law and order situation.

ANP Sindh chief Shahi Syed told a press conference the decision was taken to give protection to ANP members “who are being targeted”. However, he said the ANP would still continue its planned ‘peaceful protest’ on May 12.

He said the ANP wants a complete ban on both licensed and non-licensed weapons in Karachi and condemned the ban on Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf chief Imran Khan entering Sindh. He also criticised the behaviour of the MQM, saying it should have expressed all reservations during their meetings.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Christians accused of ‘blasphemy’ in Sahiwal, Pakistan; On the run

Christians accused of ‘blasphemy’ in Sahiwal

* Police, MNA say incident could have been a conspiracy against the accused Christians

By Rana Tanveer

LAHORE: Several Christian families in a village of Sahiwal are on the run and being given life threats by other Christians and Muslims – who are alleging that the families have committed ‘blasphemy’ by throwing ink on the Holy Quran, Daily Times has learnt.

Some neutral locals of the area – Muslims and Christians – said on Friday that 12 Christian families had left their houses in Chak 190/9-AL – a village of Christians with at least 6,500 voters – and taken shelter at an unidentified place over the last seven days, in a bid to save their lives.

A week ago, unidentified people broke into Harrappa Government Community Model Girls Primary School in the village. In the morning, students found on the ground a page of the Holy Quran smeared with black ink and gum. The blackboard had the following words written on it: “I am don”. Locals of the area, Pakistan People’s Party MNA Zahid Iqbal and police told Daily Times that the words on the blackboard led to the assumption that a Christian named Shani was responsible for what had happened, as he was also called ‘don’. “It could have been a conspiracy against Shani,” they said.

Sources told Daily Times that following the incident, a group of Christian families already opposed to Shani started accusing him of committing blasphemy and instigated Muslims and other Christians of the area against him. As a result, mosques in the area made announcements saying “it is matter of respect of Islam and all of them should rise and crush the vice”, said the sources. They said that on Thursday, a large number of Christians and Muslims protested at the arrival of Shahbaz Sharif in Sahiwal, demanding the arrest of Shani. Later the charged mob started shouting slogans against Shani and tried to torch his house and those of his friends and relatives who had already fled the area. However, police intervened and stopped the mob.

On Friday, a mob from a neighbouring village tried to burn the houses of the accused, but some influential people of the area stopped them. On the same day, a meeting was also held to resolve the matter. MNA Zahid, two DSPs, an SHO and others resolved that nobody would be allowed to create unrest in the area. They also decided that police would book those responsible for the crime after a thorough investigation.

Harrapa SHO Allah Ditta told Daily Times that with help from influential people of the area, he had convinced people that it was not a case of blasphemy. He said he had told them that if somebody had dropped some pages of the holy Quran during a robbery in the dark, it did not imply that blasphemy had been committed. He said that above all, it was not clear who had broken into the school. He said that a case had not been registered yet. The sources said that Ashfaq Gill, Nasir, Imran Qasai and Raju – all friends and relatives of Shani – are in police custody, but police denied that.

Sources in the area told Daily Times that Shani was a supporter of PPP MNA Zahid Iqbal while notable Christian families of the village supported Rai Azizullah. They said Zaki Minhas and Sardar Nambardar, both Christians and representatives of their community in the local bodies elections, were against Shani because of his good terms with the MNA. They said he was also a social worker. They said Minhas and Nambardar had “tried to implicate him in fake case”.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Seems to be a case of petty local politics and misuse of religion for narrow petty ends.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles