Why shouldn’t we build a wall on western border?

Discussion in 'Internal Security' started by ezsasa, Aug 27, 2014.

1. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

After Israel built the 30ft concrete wall on the west bank side of the border it has been reported that infiltration and sniper fire incidents were reduced by 99% . Why should n’t we do the same along PAK border?

It is no longer the case we have to think twice before spending a large amount of money on such activities. In all probability it would more or less cost the same as building a metro in a small city would n’t it? Cement technology it seems to have improved recently, I am told now a days cement setting time and water required can be reduced by 50%. inter-lockable concrete slabs should do the trick,15 inch thick reinforced concrete slabs should do the job would n’t it? In case of damage just replace the damaged set of blocks, Infact if they are damaged from other side we can have "concrete" :rolleyes: proof of firing and shelling from other side.

I do not have too much details regarding the terrain but a 30-35ft wall would reduce the gunfire issues and border crossing issues to an extent. Only issue remains will be with higher terrain over looking the wall and mortar fire.

In my opinion there is nothing more defensive than building a wall.would n’t it be worth the peace of mind?

maomao likes this.
  3. Kshatriya87

Kshatriya87 Senior Member Senior Member

This is an idea that many government professionals as well as civilian citizens wonder about. There are many problems associated with building a wall. The few that come to my mind are as follows;

1. Israel's border with Gaza is negligible as compared to thousands of km long border between India and Pakistan.
    2. The amount of time taken for building a wall can very well reach in decades.
    3. The amount of resources and manpower required will be huge. Yes, this will increase employment and business for Indians but ultimately we have to pay for it. Very expensive.
    4. The border ranging from Gujarat till southern Kashmir can be feasible for building a wall. However, the region beyond that consists of terrains that are difficult even to scale by our troops without gear. Building a wall there would mean trying to achieve a task near to impossible. (Don't bring great wall of china here, that terrain is nothing as compared to this).
    5. Considering that we do build a wall, we will have to build intermediate gates for understandable reasons. This also means that Pakistani side will know the limited locations from where we can breach in with tanks, armoured vehicles, artillery etc. These gates will be heavily protected from the other side.
    6. This nullifies our chances of success in programs like CSD which involves surprise and deep hammer attacks.

harsh, aragorn, Samar Rathi and 3 others like this.
  4. ramakrishna

ramakrishna Regular Member

very informative, thus the case dismissed ....

Kshatriya87 and Peter like this.
  5. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

Why not allow citizens in border states to be heavily armed better than a wall.

maomao and sesha_maruthi27 like this.
  6. swastic_1170

swastic_1170 Regular Member

Nice reply man.. You have put it forward so accurately.

Kshatriya87 likes this.
  7. jus

jus Senior Member Senior Member

I agree with u if u say it before 4/5 yrs, now tech. so much advanced. Just Deploy some Drones at borders then SHOOT what ever crawls (precautions taken) from ur residence
    I hope Govt. remove army from Border few Drones & sip coffee :tea:

maomao likes this.
  8. Sambha ka Boss

Sambha ka Boss Regular Member

I believe multilayered border fencing will be fine.

maomao likes this.
  9. Kshatriya87

Yes, it will work fine against insurgents. It has been proven already with our existing fence. But not for the reasons that "poster" has asked here. He wants to stop cross border firing.

10. Kshatriya87

Not a good idea. I am personally against giving weapons to civilians unless some group or country has completely breached our borders and cities. Civilians tend to be volatile with weapons in their hands. They could be used in protests & against our own forces. Besides, weapons without training won't help much.

abingdonboy likes this.
  11. LETHALFORCE

Give guns keep control over bullets supplied. Civilians are mobile walls are not
    Get past wall you are in ,get past one civilian the next one might blow your head off.
    During USA 's revolutionary war civilians played an active role. Civilians in northeastern
    States should be a starting point.

12. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Why should we???

let pakis made wall itna gaand dalo waha pe

13. ezsasa

Good points,I guess we are not ready for this thought process yet.
    Let us hope we never get into a situation where we have to build a wall.

14. datguy79

datguy79 Regular Member

This won't happen simply because a wall bins India's cold start doctrine.

15. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

Arming the citizenry against external enemies is a good idea, but only when they're to be used as last line of defence thwarting an attack and only when they've been armed with reasonably good weapons.
    This arrangement is more apt for people in border regions from logistics point of view as well.
    Even for them, there should be a proper training programme and a responsible Gun culture needs to be bred, before we start handing out fire-arms.
    That will ensure mistakes of any kind are minimized. But I do agree that a border civilian who is vigilant, educated with & owning a fire-arm is an asset.
    Key point is - Possessing a fire-arm is as much a responsibility, as it is a right.

Regards,
    Virendra

LETHALFORCE likes this.
  16. LETHALFORCE

I agree virendra there should be protocols of training and supplies. Why should
    People in border areas be sitting ducks? They have every right to defend themselves.

17. ezsasa

Even though "Right to bear arms" (Article 1 - Sec. 32) is part of the Indian constitution , It is not encouraged simply because of the lack of infrastructure to control the fallout if they are available freely. I would be against guns being freely available to citizens. In case they are freely available we know what is happening in Pakistan because of availability of guns.

However IA had encouraged and formed "Village defence commitees" in border districts by providing arms for self-defence. there have success stories from VDC concept. Unfortunately i have no info if this policy still continues or not.

18. Simple_Guy

Simple_Guy Regular Member

We can also create a 20-30 kilometer buffer zone inside spitistan......no puke citizen or soldier permitted in the zone. Area saturated by Indian air and land patrols.

Let jungles and wildlife flourish in this zone. This will become Pakistan's first ever contribution to the world environment.

19. ramakrishna

forget pakistan man ... how about UP ... there are many incidents where people used their guns .....

maomao likes this.
  20. ramakrishna

and pakis will get trained in guerilla thingy and they easily sneak into the wild life to enter our borders .. haha ... not a good option ... IMO

21. Simple_Guy

Simple_Guy Regular Member

They are already sneaking in across a fenced and heavily mined border.

Creating a buffer zone will deny them launch pads, artillery support, and paki army support. It will also save our border villages from the enemy shelling.