Why Partition was a good thing for India

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by KS, Sep 4, 2012.

1. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Independence Day: Why Partition was a good thing for India - Economic Times

If already posted, please move.

Voldemort, Redhawk and parijataka like this.
  3. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

If you can't kill the poison, you either cut the poisoned part out or sit on it to let it spread in entire body and then die a more gruesome death. Where it shouldn't have been the case.
    The way I see the two .. sorry three countries today; I agree in retrospective (on the desirable part).. well done !!

Tshering22 likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Partition was the good for India.

However, it has turned out to be too good a thing that it cannot be forgotten by either side!

And so it goes on that ancient battle, in a variety of forms, that broke the camel's back!

5. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Oh absolutely! Some Punjabis and Bengalis though seem to have nostalgic memories of undivided India.

6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Nostalgic memories of those days are fine, but Partition is also excellent and is indelibly permanent.

Bengalis also have nostalgic memories of years gone by, the Nil Darpan, Young Bengal Movement, The Bengal Renaissance which refers to a socio-cultural and religious reform movement during the nineteenth and early twentieth century in undivided India's Bengal province, the emergence of pioneering Bengali scientists/ academics such as Jagadish Chandra Bose, Satyendra Nath Bose, Upendranath Brahmachari, PC Ray, Meghnad Saha, PC Mahalanobis and so many others, and so on.

Nostalgia does not change the present.

Ah, fill the Cup: -- What boots it to repeat
    How time is slipping underneath our Feet.
    Unborn TO-MORROW, and dead YESTERDAY,
    Why fret about them if TO-DAY be sweet?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  7. ashdoc

ashdoc Senior Member Senior Member

not only it was a good thing , it should not be reversed . in 1947 the muslim population of undivided india was 24 percent .

but if reunification of the subcontinent occurs and pak and beggardesh are reunited with us , then we will see that the muslim population becomes 40 percent of reunited india . that is because of uncontrolled population growth of muslims in the past 60 years especially in pakistan .

and that 40 percent will become more than 50 percent in 25 years . so will will be forced to live in an islamic nation .

partition saved the hindus from muslim domination .

on another forum one bangladeshi was candid enough to admit to me that partition was the greatest mistake of muslims . they lost the chance to rule the whole subcontinent and crush hinduism forever !! instead they were divided into three sections---pakistanis , bangladeshis and indian muslims .

on the other hand the hindus remained united and hence survived .

thank god for partition.....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
    Dark Sorrow likes this.
  8. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

Off course partition was good for India, but not like he is saying. Hindus were going to suffer if it were not happened, radical Muslims were more dangerous than the desease of cancer and look how their sick mentality grown out in the form of international terrorism. Thank god partition happened or we Indians were going to be defamed for terrorism.

9. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

The premise of partition was that Hindus and Muslims can't live together. The people who say that partition was good for India implicitly assumes that Hindus and Muslims together would have been created Civil War like situation in Undivided India.

If that is assumption is correct, then why do Muslims live in India??

Or, is it assumed that divisive politics of ML in 40s was mainly responsible for this poisoned atmosphere and if ML were not there, things would be manageable?

Even if you say that ML was culmination of long running undercurrent of insecurity among some Muslims than do you think that such fantasies does not exist today in Kashmir or Assam or Kerala or Hyderabad ? Or in some Muslim pockets across the country?

10. KS

The united entity would not have been united for long enough for the process to happen. Sooner rather than later civil war would have broken out and we would have again been divided.

Was it Kalu_miah ? I know from where he got the idea...:cool:

11. KS

In short, Yes. Such an entity was unstable in the long run.

There is a difference when people are in minority and when they are in almost equal numbers.

ML just acted as a catalyst to a phenomenon that started as soon as the Mughal rule was demolished.

Yes they do exist. Not all Muslims who stayed in India stayed willingly. There were many who stayed back because they were financially unable to make the trip or simply afraid to make the trip fearing they would be murdered enroute.

12. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

This I didn't understand. There were many Muslim communities under Hindu rule but they learnt to live peacefully together over centuries. Just living together would not have resulted into instability (except for a few places). How much of it is attributed towards radicalized Muslims due to deobandi school? If yes, how did it spread (got acceptance)?

How does it apply if they are in equal number or majority in Mohalla, City or State?
    I don't think that could be a reason. People were allowed to migrate till 1953. Borders were open and currency was common. Might be, to many, the question of TNT was not as important as leaving the belongings and the news of migrants who already reached there might not be much promising.

The point is if we have bought peace in exchange of land (not fully sure who all comprise of "we" here), what did we learn from it? Can people go apeshit for some ideology and we give them land to buy peace?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    drkrn likes this.
  13. Vishwarupa

Vishwarupa Senior Member Senior Member

I only hope there wont be any more partition in India. :namaste:

Dark Sorrow likes this.
  14. farhan_9909

farhan_9909 Tihar Jail Banned

partition was good for both the nation

my Indian friend might start jumping about Indian Muslims patriotism.and secular blah blah

but being a muslim i know a muslin can never become a true patriotic being a minority excep for the druze muslim in Israel

this is a natural problem of Muslims.as evident from the recent riots.despite i GOI is giving them extra/discount funds for haj

Indian future seen bright.but the uncertainity of another partition exist(though indians might Nt support me over this)

15. Zarvin

Zarvin Regular Member

Partition was good--I'm glad we all agree with Jinnah saab then. The Indian politicians at the time were crazy for believing in Hindu-Muslim unity, good thing Iqbal and Jinnah snapped out of these delusions of united India.

16. Tolaha

Tolaha Senior Member Senior Member

^^ Partition was indeed good for India! But nobody here said partition was good for Pakistan! :whistle:

17. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

I'm not sure partition was good for Pakistan. The premise of two nation was drowned in the bay of bengal when Bangladesh split from Pakistan. Even now you have infighting among yourselves be it in Balochistan, Sindh, Gilgit/Baltistan or NWFP/FATA. Hindus, Christians, Ahmadis, Shias are all being persecuted on a regular basis. Shias and Ahmadi's are more safe in India than in Pakistan.

Not only Hindu-Muslims cannot live together premise of Pakistan failed but also Muslims can live together due to commonality of religion has also failed - ex. Bangladesh Split, Ahmadi killing, Shia persecutions etc etc.

Sameet Pattnaik likes this.
  18. Zarvin

Zarvin Regular Member

2nT was for Muslims to self-govern,. I can't see any Muslim in Pakistan or Bangladesh who would like to compete with Hindus in an election- apart from Indian Muslims- as Hindus will always be a majority.

Sectarian and ethnic violence is a silly argument, every country has some sectarian religous and ethnic enmity, if Sindhis and Punjabis or Shia and Sunnis tomorrow hold hands, would you say it validates the 2nt theory again???

KS likes this.
  19. Zarvin

Zarvin Regular Member

That's your perception as an Indian that it was good for India. My perception as a Pakistani is that it is good for Pakistan.

20. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Certainly you failed in self-governing as is evident from split of Bangaldesh and increased violence in Balochistan.

Then why are Shias and Ahmadis are persecuted by Sunnis in Pakistan but not in India. Balochis hate Punjabis to the core. Again 2nT premise failed here. :whistle:

parijataka likes this.
  21. Zarvin

Zarvin Regular Member

Bangladesh is still a self-governing Muslim majority----which is what the 2nt calls for. It wasn't part of the original designs for Pakistan in addition.

Sectarian and ethnic discord exists and will continue to exist in some form or another in all society. Bad governance is the main cause, it doesn't validate or invalidate 2nt.