Why oppose formation of a new state?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

The telangana agitation is on. We had one in Jharkhand. UK wanted one for years before it got. There are many other regions who are demanding separate statehood Vidharbh, Poorvanchal.

Question is why the national government or political parties oppose a move to form separate state? Why let so much blood shed? So many other lives destroyed? What is in it? Why not allow it?

3. raja696

raja696 Regular Member

Because oneness do not call for separatism...... and people divided between them. As long as balance of opposite opinions on this issue exists in people GOI cant separate these regions. As ur talking about telangana destruction or bloodshed.. why cant people do it the way of anna hazare because all people have aspiration of separate telangana or not, there are hidden agendas of politicians to there selfishness who are encouraging violence in osmania university. Every body knows that separation take several years of persistence on the issue and demands(there is time barrier) .Violent protests can not reduce this barrier, infact its signifies innocent people involved in violence are fighting and dying for there cause(seperate telangana) have become mere hand tools for selfish aspirations of politicians and other elements unknowingly. There are many factors involved in decision making which defines this time barrier. I am Andhra guy I will support telangana aspirations and demands in peaceful way but the way its now through violence, protesters are creating hurdles in there movement by themselves by provoking other regions( simply instead of gaining support by convincing remaining regions on there demands, they are making them against by provoking). If any body asks why remaining regions opinion is important for separate telangana and argues only telangana people opinion is good enough. My answer is well all these years we are one state and shared same land (Andhra pradesh with out any differentiation) which is still undivided that gives privilege to all regional people and in decision making. So my strong belief is telangana can not be achieved by separatist ideology which is followed by current politicos of telangana and there violence driven agendas.

4. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

it doesnt make any difference to me at least.

if a turkey one forth the size of india and one sixteenth the population of india can have 81 provinces and still stay as one, and we for so long with 28 states and 7UTs can stay as one, i dont see why we cant still be united as indians even with many more states and UTs if need be.

Zebra and ganesh177 like this.
  5. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

I do not think in near future , we can see new states .
    It will only happen when the government feels that they can not win any more in that state , so divide it like in UP , MP , Bihar .
    But in Maharashtra , AP still congress government is there in state and in central also , no reason for any future split at this time .

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  6. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Mayawathi winning UP in 2012 so says congress internal survey.Implied meaning our ass will get barbecued in 2014 if we split AP also.Amul Baby is a dud and princess won't enter the fray till her tadpoles grow up

7. Iamanidiot

In india too small states are unhealthy for federalism.India is a Heterogenous place unlike Turkey

8. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Idiot, I am asking in general and not only in the current context. Telangana is not a current demand but a pretty old one.

9. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

It is not opposition to new states but the ad hoc basis on which they are created or not depending on political convenience. Let there be proper criteria and standard and then let all the new state demands that conform to the criteria be created. But that is not happening...?

It is few politically unemployed who whip up regional or sub-regional sentiments for their advantage. To give in to such practises would be encouraging them and that is definitely not good for India's unity.

10. SpArK

SpArK SORCERER Senior Member

Smaller states are better managed...

11. Iamanidiot

Separating Chattisgarh from MP is considered a epic Head-in-the-ass decision by most babu's in the security apparatus.Creation of new states in the NE did not increase the security phenomenally.Yusuf use your grey matter why I said this

12. Iamanidiot

Propaganda at best.Smaller states are pain in the arse

13. SpArK

The best states in terms of lower poverty are Kerala, goa, Haryana, uttarakand,Himachal , Punjab etc which are small and can use the resources and funds better.

The exemption is Gujarat now, because it has an exceptional leader to lead.

14. Iamanidiot

The worst states are Chattisgarh,Jharkand and the entire NE all are sall states

15. SpArK

Nope UP, madyapradesh , rajasthan , Orissa, Maharashtra to name few.

Bihar is doing good after the split too.:thumb:

16. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

The question is a good one. Why, indeed should formation of new states be opposed?

There is absolutely no ground for opposition to formation of new states. The cliched answer in the first comment on this thread about "oneness" and "unity" is so damn cliched and naive! In that case, we might as well get rid of all our states then, and make India one giant unitary republic, if "oneness" is such a big concern!!

Federalism and splitting into smaller administrative divisions does not affect the "unity and oneness" of India in any way.

But, here's the key - the people opposing the formation of Telangana are within the current state of AP! It is not the Central government which is opposing the formation of the state - there is an active constituency within AP that objects to the formation of Telangana.

I am not going to comment on whether Telangana should be formed or not, whether the agitation is justified or not. Limiting myself to the question asked on this thread, I can say that there is no rationale to blindly oppose new state formation on the basis of some warped idea of "unity". At the end of the day, it is for the citizens of the state being divided, to take a call on whether to split the state (or not). The rest of the nation, or the union government, need not bother their heads about it.

The constitution lays out clear and unambiguous guidelines for creation of new states within India. Formation of new states is neither illegal, nor unethical, nor unconstitutional, nor against "unity" - that much is very clear.

17. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

well bihar is doing better not after separation but after laloo. when laloo was head even after separation he called for funds from central gov claming loss of revenue for bhiar

by the way i want to ask question when a region is separated and created as new state does its economy i mean to stay can region withstand own its own is taking into consideration for creation. i mean all its income and expanses after creation .is that taken into acoount