Why not invoke anti-terror law against Hasan Ali: SC

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Someoneforyou, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Someoneforyou

Someoneforyou Regular Member

Jan 26, 2011

NEW DELHI: The heat may finally be turned on Hasan Ali Khan, the "billionaire" money launderer. Arrested for allegedly stashing laundered money abroad and being probed for passport forgery and links with arms dealers, Khan could now be charged under the anti-terror law for endangering national security.

The Centre on Tuesday readily agreed with the Supreme Court's view that the issue of whether Khan can be charged with terror needs to be examined.

The convergence of views on the money launderer was prompted by the Enforcement Directorate's fresh status report throwing up new details on Khan's alleged illegal activities spanning continents.

A bench of Justices B Sudershan Reddy and S S Nijjar said emerging evidence marked a threat to national security. "The most important thing that emerges on the basis of information (in the status report) is that the agency must probe the angle, which is the link with arms dealers and terrorist funds. This is intrinsic to national security," it said.

The court gave the ED, which claimed to be hot on the heels of Khan's surreptitious and illegal deals, 10 days to file a fresh status report. However, it reminded the agency—"These facts which are evident, show that apart from prosecution under Prevention of Money Laundering Act, Foreign Exchange Management Act, Income Tax Act and Passport Act, other penal provisions under anti-terror law will be attracted to these serious cases."

As they read the status report which was submitted in a sealed cover, the judges often appeared surprised by the contents, frequently raising their eyebrows and shaking their heads.

Justices Reddy and Nijjar asked: "Why not invoke the anti-terror law?" At present, the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) covers terrorist activities.

Solicitor General Gopal Subramaniam, appearing for the Union government, immediately responded: "We are entirely on the same pitch. I am also including Prevention of Corruption Act."

The SG's stress on the PC Act seemed to point to the government's estimate that some officials hindered investigations against Hasan Ali. He handed over the statements of Khan and another accused to the court. "I have asked the director of ED to personally supervise the probe," he said.

References to the PC Act combined with Subramaniam appreciating the anguished "what-the-hell-is-going-on-in-this-country" remark the court had made to express its frustration at the lethargic investigation against Khan, led petitioner Ram Jethmalani's counsel Anil Divan to take a swipe at the probe.

Divan said the SG's statement made it clear that the probe was not being carried out properly for the last four years and requested the court to consider constituting a special investigation team or take over monitoring of the probe.

He apprehended that Khan faced great threat to his life and could possibly be eliminated like Asutosh Asthana, a key accused in the provident fund scam in judiciary who died in mysterious circumstances in jail.

Subramaniam assured that there would no let-up in the probe against Khan, which picked up after the court started asking difficult questions. "The momentum generated now must continue. I had advised that Khan's custody must be sought as I was convinced that it was a case for custodial interrogation. I need 10 days time to come up with another status report," he said.

The court said that henceforth the director of ED, who is now personally supervising the probe against Khan, would file the status report detailing the progress made in the probe.

On Jethmalani's allegation about harassment of certain investigating officers for questioning or investigating cases against Khan, the SG said he would personally look into the charge. He also said that if these officers were required in the probe, they would be brought back into the investigating team. "I will see to it that justice is done," he assured the court as the hearing was adjourned to March 18.

The court also asked him to prepare his arguments on disclosing the names of Indians who allegedly stashed black money in Leichtenstein's LGT Bank. The government had said it would disclose the names after launching prosecution against them.

Source: The Times of India
  3. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Because then nearly 99% of parliament would labeled as terrorists and not to mention millions of other individuals in India.

Stifling money like this is worse than any terrorist bomb blast since it negatively affects the lives of millions of poor Indians throughout the country.
  4. neo29

neo29 Senior Member Senior Member

Dec 1, 2009
    He is from Pune. Surely he has links to Kalmadi.