Why Mountain Lion Just Became the Ultimate Cord-Cutting OS

Oracle

Mountain Lion, the latest version of Apple's OS X desktop operating system, went public Wednesday to the delight of Mac users everywhere. But while the world fawns over updates to Safari and a number of features cribbed from iOS, most people are skipping over perhaps the most significant update of all: AirPlay Mirroring.

Don't look now, but Apple just created a formidable cord-cutting platform. The new operating system can change the way we watch video in the living room, and might even compel some users to finally cancel their cable and satellite services. Any video content that's available for the computer can now be just as easily watched on an HDTV. All you need is a 2011 or newer Mac running Mountain Lion, and a $100 Apple TV.

The new AirPlay mirroring feature should have the Xfinitys and DirecTVs of the world very concerned.

Read more @ Wired

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I updated my OS to Mountain Lion expressly for this purpose. Now I can stream movies to my LED TV through my "apple TV".

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
No :p Apple TV mirrors the lappy's screen directly to it,without any server.
That's the Apple way...
In other words a DLNA compatible Media server.
AirPlay Mirroring – wireless

AirPlay Mirroring

A number of smartphones and tablets are beginning to offer a mirroring feature that enables users to see what's on the screen of their portable on their TV. Apple's AirPlay Mirroring, available with the launch of Mountain Lion, will provide the same feature wirelessly, using Apple's take on DLNA connectivity.

It will allow Mac users to wirelessly display their computer screen on a TV using an Apple TV. It's a feature that's already available on the iPad and iPhone, but will be new on Mac.
Apple OS X Mountain Lion - Top five best features | Which? Tech Daily

This technology has existed for ages.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I had used it using Iphone but there were always issues - be it resolution, battery consumption etc. I think it will be easy with a Mac now.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
I had used it using Iphone but there were always issues - be it resolution, battery consumption etc. I think it will be easy with a Mac now.
DLNA is simply a set of standards...there were/are excellent DLNA servers for Windows/Linux/Mac before Apple came out with their own implementation.

Some free DLAN compatible servers XBMC PS3 Media Server

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles