why is Reliance renting DVDs at throw away prices

Discussion in 'Members Corner' started by ajay_ijn, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ajay_ijn

ajay_ijn Regular Member

the youngter brother Anil ambani has a huge media company. he has already signed a deal for movie production with Spielsberg and 8 other hollywood celebrities.

He also has a movie Rental store. the offer is you can get a membership at a mere 300 Rs. you can take one movie at a time but can take unlimited number movies in a month. there is also home delivery option. it has around 20,000 titles in english, hindi and south indian languages. It also has collection of english tv shows, even the old ones.

this is probably the cheapest way we can watch a movie legally. I mean even some not-legal ways don't stand a chance compared to this killer offer.

3. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

It already existed since a long time. CD renting was common even 10 years ago.

4. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Can you post some links to the store??. I think it is based on Netflix or Blockbuster in US.

5. ajay_ijn

ajay_ijn Regular Member

i know, but did anyone offered unlimited movies at Rs 300?

6. ajay_ijn

ajay_ijn Regular Member

http://www.bigflix.com

7. EnlightenedMonk

EnlightenedMonk Member of The Month JULY 2009 Senior Member

I doubt you'd get any of the latest movies here... it'll all be the older ones which are 1+ years old... so, essentially they're only giving you something you can get on TV anyway...

The only benefit is that you're not at the mercy of the TV programmer and you can watch it where you want, when you want...

8. ajay_ijn

ajay_ijn Regular Member

EM, don't you get irritated and frustrated by the TV Ads,. what if you want to watch ur favourite scene twice, what if you want to go to bathroom or talking with someone over phone. i never enjoyed watching a movie on TV with all those ads and changing channels regularly as much i enjoyed before my computer with my headphones. you can pause, go to any part of movie instantly, watch it as many as you want. save it in ur hard disk or burn it on DVD.

the only limitation i know is if you can't get any movie you want. 20,000 titles is really limited considering hundreds of movies are released in India alone in different languages. would be difficult to find old movies.

9. EnlightenedMonk

EnlightenedMonk Member of The Month JULY 2009 Senior Member

Of course, that as well... :D:D:D:D:D

But, that's all under "mercy of the TV Programmer"...

10. mig-29

mig-29 Regular Member

Who has time today to watch all those movies , however the concept is good and they need to open up stores in more locations.

11. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Ok. So, no rent??? Then a good deal.:)

TATASKY PLUS. :D

12. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Life Jinga Lala eh?
    But yes reliance is always known to kill competition with competitive pricing. If not kill then gather a lions share of that segment. Look what they fid when they started mobile business. Rs 500 handsets and cheap rates. They have retail stores etc. That's what they keep doing.

13. ajay_ijn

ajay_ijn Regular Member

yes thats what. i thought there is something "daal mein kaala" and thought to discuss with you guyz, if anybody has a already membership.

I saw it in hyderabad today. It must have already opened in mumbai/delhi in many places.

14. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

There is one more rental co. Seventymm.com or 77mm.com I think. It was the first to start such a service. Reliance cane in and took it a step further.

15. ajay_ijn

ajay_ijn Regular Member

now i realise how torrent releasers get DVDs so easily.

16. 1.44

1.44 Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009 Senior Member

Wallmarting the DVD rental business most likely

17. ajay_ijn

ajay_ijn Regular Member

i think anil ambani follows the idea of vertical integration. with movies. they wanna produce, distribute, show them on their own screens, Rent DVDs and finally show movies on their own channels offered by their own DTH service.

even for with his power business, he wanted to start cement company which can use the ash from power plant, shipping company to transport coal and also mine it.