why is Reliance renting DVDs at throw away prices

ajay_ijn

Country flag
the youngter brother Anil ambani has a huge media company. he has already signed a deal for movie production with Spielsberg and 8 other hollywood celebrities.

He also has a movie Rental store. the offer is you can get a membership at a mere 300 Rs. you can take one movie at a time but can take unlimited number movies in a month. there is also home delivery option. it has around 20,000 titles in english, hindi and south indian languages. It also has collection of english tv shows, even the old ones.

this is probably the cheapest way we can watch a movie legally. I mean even some not-legal ways don't stand a chance compared to this killer offer.

p2prada

the youngter brother Anil ambanis has a huge media company. he has already signed a deal for movie production with Spielsberg and 8 other hollywood celebrities.

He also has a movie Rental store. the offer is you can get a membership at a mere 300 Rs. you can take one movie at a time but can take unlimited number movies in a month. there is also home delivery option. it has around 20,000 titles in english, hindi and south indian languages. It also has collection of english tv shows, even the old ones.

this is probably the cheapest way we can watch a movie legally. I mean even some not-legal ways don't stand a chance compared to this killer offer.
It already existed since a long time. CD renting was common even 10 years ago.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Can you post some links to the store??. I think it is based on Netflix or Blockbuster in US.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
I doubt you'd get any of the latest movies here... it'll all be the older ones which are 1+ years old... so, essentially they're only giving you something you can get on TV anyway...

The only benefit is that you're not at the mercy of the TV programmer and you can watch it where you want, when you want...

ajay_ijn

Country flag
I doubt you'd get any of the latest movies here... it'll all be the older ones which are 1+ years old... so, essentially they're only giving you something you can get on TV anyway...

The only benefit is that you're not at the mercy of the TV programmer and you can watch it where you want, when you want...
EM, don't you get irritated and frustrated by the TV Ads,. what if you want to watch ur favourite scene twice, what if you want to go to bathroom or talking with someone over phone. i never enjoyed watching a movie on TV with all those ads and changing channels regularly as much i enjoyed before my computer with my headphones. you can pause, go to any part of movie instantly, watch it as many as you want. save it in ur hard disk or burn it on DVD.

the only limitation i know is if you can't get any movie you want. 20,000 titles is really limited considering hundreds of movies are released in India alone in different languages. would be difficult to find old movies.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
EM, don't you get irritated and frustrated by the TV Ads,. what if you want to watch ur favourite scene twice, what if you want to go to bathroom or talking with someone over phone.
Of course, that as well... :D:D:D:D:D

But, that's all under "mercy of the TV Programmer"...

mig-29

Who has time today to watch all those movies , however the concept is good and they need to open up stores in more locations.

p2prada

i know, but did anyone offered unlimited movies at Rs 300?
Ok. So, no rent??? Then a good deal.:)

EM, don't you get irritated and frustrated by the TV Ads,. what if you want to watch ur favourite scene twice, what if you want to go to bathroom or talking with someone over phone. i never enjoyed watching a movie on TV with all those ads and changing channels regularly as much i enjoyed before my computer with my headphones. you can pause, go to any part of movie instantly,
TATASKY PLUS. :D

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Life Jinga Lala eh?
But yes reliance is always known to kill competition with competitive pricing. If not kill then gather a lions share of that segment. Look what they fid when they started mobile business. Rs 500 handsets and cheap rates. They have retail stores etc. That's what they keep doing.

ajay_ijn

Country flag
Ok. So, no rent??? Then a good deal.
yes thats what. i thought there is something "daal mein kaala" and thought to discuss with you guyz, if anybody has a already membership.

I saw it in hyderabad today. It must have already opened in mumbai/delhi in many places.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
There is one more rental co. Seventymm.com or 77mm.com I think. It was the first to start such a service. Reliance cane in and took it a step further.

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Wallmarting the DVD rental business most likely

ajay_ijn

Country flag
Life Jinga Lala eh?
But yes reliance is always known to kill competition with competitive pricing. If not kill then gather a lions share of that segment. Look what they fid when they started mobile business. Rs 500 handsets and cheap rates. They have retail stores etc. That's what they keep doing.
i think anil ambani follows the idea of vertical integration. with movies. they wanna produce, distribute, show them on their own screens, Rent DVDs and finally show movies on their own channels offered by their own DTH service.

even for with his power business, he wanted to start cement company which can use the ash from power plant, shipping company to transport coal and also mine it.

Global Defence

Articles