Why is Navy mum on use of junk US choppers?

neo29

Navy has refused to disclose any details about procurement of six phased-out helicopters from the US worth Rs 182 crore for which it recently received a rap from the Comptroller and Auditor General.

The Navy, which was criticised by the country's top auditor for a deal "which would ultimately compromise operational effectiveness", has cited national security to withhold information about it.

In reply to an RTI application seeking details about the deal which came under fire from the CAG, the Navy cited section 8(1)(a) of the transparency law to deny the information.

the section exempts disclosure of information, which would 'prejudicially affect the sovereignty and integrity of India, the security, strategic, scientific or economic interests of the State, relation with foreign State or lead to incitement of an offence'.

"The information sought by you is classified in nature, hence exempt from disclosure under section 8(1)(a) of the RTI Act," Commander-at-arms S K Gupta at Integrated Headquarters Defence Ministry replied to RTI applications filed by activist S C Agrawal.

The Navy had acquired six decommissioned UH3H helicopters under the Foreign Military Supply (FMS) programme of the United States in November 2006, along with training and support facilities at an approximate cost of Rs 182.14 crore.

the 35-40 year-old helicopters "were on the verge of completing their air frame life and are on extended life", noted CAG in its recent report.

These helicopters were delivered with many defects including Category A 12 defects resulting in non-availability of the helicopters leading to delay in training and the operationalisation of the squadron," it had said.

In his appeal against the decision of the Commander-at-Arms, Agarawal said: "Section 8 clearly states that any information which is not denied to Parliament or state-legislature, cannot be denied under RTI Act. Since report of Comptroller & Auditor General of India is presented to Parliament, any query relating to CAG strictures on purchase of defective choppers cannot be denied under RTI Act."

idrw.org

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Quite extraordinary to have weapons whose lifetime is over.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I think these Choppers are those which came with INS Jalashwa. BTW what's the whole point in buying decommissioned helicopters which has spent its life? On the name of Transparency Law Navy is actually helping hiding government's role. Even more surprising is that Navy was recently forced to buy junk Minesweepers from US. Seems like someone is in dear love with US and using forces to help cause.

Rage

DFI TEAM
I think these Choppers are those which came with INS Jalashwa. BTW what's the whole point in buying decommissioned helicopters which has spent its life? On the name of Transparency Law Navy is actually helping hiding government's role. Even more surprising is that Navy was recently forced to buy junk Minesweepers from US. Seems like someone is in dear love with US and using forces to help cause.
What? Did the 'E' Class Minesweepers deal actually go through?

What about that Thales offer to convert four-six of our Czech-made minesweepers into minehunters?

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I don't know about present status. But i had seen an article on Shiv Aroor's blog regarding US Senate clearing the transfer of two decommissioned Osprey-class minehunters to the Indian Navy.

Parthy

Air Warrior
I don't know about present status. But i had seen an article on Shiv Aroor's blog regarding US Senate clearing the transfer of two decommissioned Osprey-class minehunters to the Indian Navy.
The later update by Shiv Aroor stated that the US senate has cleared the Mine Sweeper out for sale to any countries.. not specifically for INDIA.. The reports were bit altered saying that it was cleared for sale to India.. IN is not interested in that junk..

This mainly because, the defence companies has recognized Indian Defence Market as the peak destination for marketting.. And that's the reason reports like this are released. :emot158:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles