Why is Indonesia different from other Islamic nations?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If u need facts.......... our govt like some EU countries maintain a data base AGE/RELIGION/CASTE wise in India

the same question arise ......in Encounters a data base on RELIGION wise in India

Disappearance same goes

Any way we know it is IMPOSSIBLE to get data on encounters/jail on RELIGION BASES in India.......

but some HR/one community leaders cry about encounter/jails are high in their community...... any way leave it here i can't provide data U WIN

But we both are happy bcoz u need facts&Data base NONE is available , I'm also very happy bcoz there is no facts&Data base
:cool2:
Not understood since the thoughts are in a style like in a telegram.

I am not here to Win. Just debate and hopefully learn.

ITBP

Malaysia is said to be tolerant, but that is only half of the reality.

They are tolerant because the economy is controlled by the Chinese.

Otherwise,all laws favour the Muslims.

Check the Bhoomiputra Act.
Malaysia is multi-cultural country, may be to prefer ethnic Malays, than ethnic Chinese and Indian, Bhoomiputra act is like this.

Actually Indonesians are very proud of their Hindu heritage. I read some Islands of Indonesia used to be Muslim dominated, but now they are Hindu dominated.

I would be very happy if Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei and Philippines leave their Abrahamic faith and accept Buddhism or Hinduism or their old traditional religions.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
In Indonesia since animism is against the law, the government has classified the multilayered belief systems of such basically animist groups as the Torajans, Dayaks, and Tenggerese as 'Hindu.'

Although officially labelled 'Christian,' the highlands of Irian Jaya are crawling with animists. Sumba is another heavy animist enclave absurdly slotted 'Christian.'

This e book is interesting to read to know some aspects about Indonesia:

Culture and Customs of Indonesia
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=...a=X&ei=qCKdU8ruOYexuATP4YC4DA&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBg

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Map showing the parties/organisations with the largest vote share per province in Indonesia's elections from 1971 to 2009

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Indonesia is the most populous Muslim nation in the world. Increasingly however, it has become the scene of attacks or episodes of intolerance against minorities, whether they are Christians, Ahmadi Muslims or belong to other faiths. Aceh is the only Indonesian province where Sharia (Islamic law) is enforced, following a peace agreement between the central government and the Free Aceh Movement (GAM). Yet, in many other areas of the country, a more radical and extreme vision of Islam is spreading among ordinary Indonesians. Certain rules such as the infamous building permit (Izin Mendirikan Bangunan or IMB in Indonesian) have been used to prevent the construction of Christian places of worship or stop construction already underway, as was the case for the Yasmin Church in West Java. In December last year, at least five Christian places of worship have had to close their doors due to pressure from Islamists.
INDONESIA West Java authorities yield to Islamic pressure and close down seven Protestant churches - Asia News

Islamic Radicalism in Indonesia
The Faltering Revival
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/27913255?uid=3738256&uid=2&uid=4&sid=21104308861553

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Not only Indonesia, Malaysia too is good compared to other Muslims country. They are very tolerant. Perhaps because they have different genetics than Arabs I think.
Even our insane brothers on the west have non-Arab genes.
I think the difference is due to centuries long Islamic rule; that is not the case in South East Asia.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Not only Indonesia, Malaysia too is good compared to other Muslims country. They are very tolerant. Perhaps because they have different genetics than Arabs I think.
Malaysia is worse than Pakistan in many many ways. They're developed because of oil and Chinese businessmen.

amoy

Malaysia is worse than Pakistan in many many ways. They're developed because of oil and Chinese businessmen.
Chinese are the strongest opposition to Sharia in Malaysia.

The Pan-Malaysia Islamic Party, or PAS, is pushing for approval from Parliament to introduce strict Islamic Hudud laws, whose punishments include amputation and stoning, in northeastern Malaysia.

PAS is part of a three-party opposition coalition, but it has ruled in the northeastern state of Kelantan since the 1990s. Its strict administration includes separate check-out lanes for men and women in supermarkets. In February, gender segregation was extended to hair salons.

Ahmad Basri Ibrahim, who specializes in Islamic criminal law in Malaysia. Celine Fernandez for The Wall Street Journal
Last month, the national government and the Kelantan administration agreed to set up a technical committee to study Hudud and its possible implementation. It would still need Parliament's approval to introduce the laws.

Hudud refers to certain crimes and applies fixed punishments to each. Malaysia already applies some Islamic Sharia laws – mostly pertaining to family and religious matters. On Hudud, the country is divided into supporters and detractors – mostly non-Muslims who fear they too will be subjected to the harsh laws.
Q&A: What Hudud Law Means For Malaysia - Southeast Asia Real Time - WSJ

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles