Why Is China Harassing Reporters?

Discussion in 'China' started by Daredevil, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Why Is China Harassing Reporters?

Posted by Evan Osnos
    For foreign journalists trying to decode China’s closed-door discussions about democratic movements in the Middle East, the government has made it unusually easy. The current mix of threats and force directed at domestic gadflies, and now reporters in Beijing and Shanghai—as catalogued by the Times today—has done far more to dramatize China’s concerns about unrest than any of the faceless online efforts to organize “strolls” and other protests. Of the two colleagues I dined with last night in Beijing, one had been summoned to the police station to be advised that he had “broken reporting rules,” while the other ticked off the names of his colleagues who have received uninvited home-visits by public-security officials. As he pointed out, the great irony of the whole episode is that, of all the various commentators around the world scanning for signs of a jasmine contagion, foreign reporters in Beijing have been some of the first to point out why China is an unlikely candidate. (The differences, briefly: economic health, political history, technological infrastructure. I’ve discussed it a couple of times.)
    First, some perspective: none of this harassment compares to the fate befalling China’s own activists.

China’s foreign minister said today that there is “no such issue as Chinese police officers beating foreign journalists,” a statement that doesn’t look good next to this video of a BBC reporter and cameraman being manhandled.

So, what gives? Why does a country usually so sensitive about its image—so quick to mention when other countries have “hurt the feelings of the Chinese people”—go after the people with the cameras? Because domestic security trumps all. Chinese authorities have concluded in recent years that any kind of bad press or damaged diplomatic ties can be repaired with time—while domestic stability, as they perceive it, cannot.

But this kind of old-fashioned bullying does more than just undo China’s worthwhile efforts to project a friendly international image. The differences between China and Egypt are meaningful, but they seem less significant every time someone gets a knock at the door. Chasing down journalists is a classic tell, the facial tic of a system under pressure.

3. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Check the video where the BBC journalist is being beaten up on their website linked to this article

4. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

to put it plainly they have Tianmen square memories

5. redragon

redragon Regular Member

because foreign reporters are harassing China

6. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

i like the way they showed BBC the boot

7. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

The 'Man who Knew Too Much' is always harassed.

8. no smoking

no smoking Senior Member Senior Member

Wrong, the "man who wants to know too much" is always harassed.

9. Ray

Since you are in Australia as you claim, does the Australian govt harasses those who want wants to know more? or is it that the Australian Govt's policy is to harass and gag the press?

Apparently, in China they are harassing, but then I am sure you could throw some light on how free the media is there as also how helpful the Chinese Govt to the foreign media in dishing out desired information most willingly.

I thought it is the job of the media to find out about a country in detail, warts and all! So, aren't the supposed to be the 'man who wants to know too much'?

In India that is the case where they are 'men who want to know too much' and the Govt can do very little about that.

Maybe you are right when you say I am Wrong. China surely does not want anyone to know, let alone knowing too much!!! :eek:

10. no smoking

Take it easy, my friend. Since the first time I joined this forum, did I ever say: china is democratic country or press in china is free? No, I never said that. What I point out that you are making wrong is your logic: Do these journalists know anything that common chineses don't know? No.

The reason they are harassed is that they want to know more.

11. Ray

If these journalists do not know anything that common chineses don't know then what's wrong in wanting to know more.

In so far as the other issue of free press etc, one does not have to state it in so many words. Inference speaks for itself.

12. no smoking

Well, we are talking about CCP. They don't like anything unexpected. When these journalists want to know more, you really don't know what would be next.

13. Ray

Rather lame an explanation.

Life is traversing an unknown path.

Can you predict tomorrow?

CCP can predict the unknown tomorrow?

So, by your explanation, would it be correct to feel that CCP is worried about tomorrow?

14. no smoking

Why don't they? They are facing one of most difficult job in history: driving a hughe shabby truck with 1.4 billion passengers at a crazy speed. Do you think this driver would love to see any unexpected?