Why Is China Harassing Reporters?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Why Is China Harassing Reporters?

Posted by Evan Osnos
For foreign journalists trying to decode China's closed-door discussions about democratic movements in the Middle East, the government has made it unusually easy. The current mix of threats and force directed at domestic gadflies, and now reporters in Beijing and Shanghai—as catalogued by the Times today—has done far more to dramatize China's concerns about unrest than any of the faceless online efforts to organize "strolls" and other protests. Of the two colleagues I dined with last night in Beijing, one had been summoned to the police station to be advised that he had "broken reporting rules," while the other ticked off the names of his colleagues who have received uninvited home-visits by public-security officials. As he pointed out, the great irony of the whole episode is that, of all the various commentators around the world scanning for signs of a jasmine contagion, foreign reporters in Beijing have been some of the first to point out why China is an unlikely candidate. (The differences, briefly: economic health, political history, technological infrastructure. I've discussed it a couple of times.)
First, some perspective: none of this harassment compares to the fate befalling China's own activists.

China's foreign minister said today that there is "no such issue as Chinese police officers beating foreign journalists," a statement that doesn't look good next to this video of a BBC reporter and cameraman being manhandled.

So, what gives? Why does a country usually so sensitive about its image—so quick to mention when other countries have "hurt the feelings of the Chinese people"—go after the people with the cameras? Because domestic security trumps all. Chinese authorities have concluded in recent years that any kind of bad press or damaged diplomatic ties can be repaired with time—while domestic stability, as they perceive it, cannot.

But this kind of old-fashioned bullying does more than just undo China's worthwhile efforts to project a friendly international image. The differences between China and Egypt are meaningful, but they seem less significant every time someone gets a knock at the door. Chasing down journalists is a classic tell, the facial tic of a system under pressure.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Check the video where the BBC journalist is being beaten up on their website linked to this article

Calls for protests in China met with brutality

By Damian Grammaticas BBC News, Beijing

The time was about 1330. Lines of Chinese police stood at the entrance to Wangfujing, Beijing's most famous shopping street.
The authorities' anxiousness was palpable.

Dozens of police vans were parked on the roadside, uniformed men with dogs patrolled up and down, street cleaning vans drove up and down spraying water to keep people away, and a sudden rash of suspiciously unnecessary street repairs meant big hoardings had been put up.
It would have been farcical if it hadn't turned so brutal.

The reason for all this nervousness was the call that had gone out over the internet for Chinese people to stage their own "Jasmine Protests", copying the wave of democratic revolutions in the Middle East and north Africa.

The police were monitoring everyone going into the pedestrian zone. But unable to distinguish the protesters, who'd been called to "stroll" peacefully and silently past McDonald's restaurant at 1400, from genuine shoppers they focussed on picking out foreign reporters and cameramen.

Targeted campaign

A similar call a week ago had brought out just a handful of protesters. Since then stepped-up internet controls have been blocking any mention of the word "jasmine".

So relatively few people in China even know the call for protests has been made.

One cameraman was set upon by five men who punched him in the face

There has also been a deliberate and targeted campaign to round up lawyers, activists, and bloggers, around a hundred people in total. Some have been detained, some disappeared, others threatened.

A few, who seem to have reposted internet messages calling for peaceful gatherings, face extremely serious subversion charges.
We were immediately singled out. Uniformed officers blocked our way a few hundred yards from McDonald's and demanded our press cards. Nervously they talked into mobile phones and handheld radios.

They stalled us, then barked at us to stop filming. Plainclothes men came and stood right in front of our camera so we couldn't take shots.
Urgent meeting

Ahead of this event there was a clear sign the police were on edge.

On Friday officers had called our news bureau, and many others in Beijing, to summon us for an urgent meeting.

We were warned that we must follow China's reporting rules. Again on Saturday phone calls were made to BBC staff and other journalists with more warnings.

China's reporting rules allow us to film on the street. For interviews we must seek the consent of interviewees. We stuck well within the rules. Even when the police blocked us without explanation we co-operated.

All around us it was obvious that at least half the people on the street were plainclothes state security officers. Some were snapping photographs of everyone, others were videoing everything, many had obvious earpieces plugged in and were mumbling on their radios.
There must have been hundreds of them. China has been pouring money into its domestic security apparatus in recent years and this is what it is for.

Then suddenly, a few minutes before 2pm, the crucial time for the "Jasmine" protests, the plainclothes thugs waded in.
Security goons

Without warning they shoved and pushed the BBC's cameraman. They grabbed at his camera and tried to rip it from his hands, bundling him a full 50 yards into a police van. They had earpieces in and were also taking orders.

Then the thugs turned on me. My hair was grabbed and pulled by one of the state security goons.

They tried to pick me up and throw me bodily into the van.

I found myself lying on the floor as they repeatedly slammed the door on my leg which was still part of the way out of the truck, one, two, three times, maybe more. A few shoppers looked on in confusion.

The same thugs climbed into the van and threatened us again as we were driven to a nearby government office. Our details were taken and we were told we could not do interviews in the area because of "special circumstances".

Asked what the special circumstances were they ignored the question. And when told we did not want to do interviews, only take pictures, they again ignored us.

There were more foreign journalists there too. But it seems we got off lightly. One cameraman was set upon by five men who kicked, and punched him in the face, he had to go to hospital for treatment; another had his hand injured.
It was brutal and totally out of proportion to the situation.

It all seems to be evidence that China's Communist Party chiefs have been spooked by the popular protests sweeping the Middle East.
In those democratic revolutions ranks of ordinary people from developing countries have been rising against the autocracies that have monopolised power.

Tapping into fears

Many see parallels in China, also a developing nation with an authoritarian government, where calls for an end to corruption, to nepotism, to one party's monopoly on power all might find resonance.

As well as the police presence there were plainclothes state security officers

China's Communist rulers often say democracy is a western idea unsuited to China's level of development. It's an argument that is challenged by what's been happening on the streets of Cairo, Tunis and elsewhere.

There are many reasons why a similar uprising seems highly unlikely in China.

The economy is growing, people generally believe life is getting better, the Communist Party keeps refreshing its leadership every decade, and it keeps spending vast amounts on internal security.

But the revolts in the Middle East do seem to have tapped into fears felt in China's leaders and its security apparatus.

Otherwise you have to ask, what explanation is there for sending the thugs to drag away and beat up journalists looking to take a few pictures of people strolling silently past McDonald's on a Sunday afternoon?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The 'Man who Knew Too Much' is always harassed.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Wrong, the "man who wants to know too much" is always harassed.
Since you are in Australia as you claim, does the Australian govt harasses those who want wants to know more? or is it that the Australian Govt's policy is to harass and gag the press?

Apparently, in China they are harassing, but then I am sure you could throw some light on how free the media is there as also how helpful the Chinese Govt to the foreign media in dishing out desired information most willingly.

I thought it is the job of the media to find out about a country in detail, warts and all! So, aren't the supposed to be the 'man who wants to know too much'?

In India that is the case where they are 'men who want to know too much' and the Govt can do very little about that.

Maybe you are right when you say I am Wrong. China surely does not want anyone to know, let alone knowing too much!!! :eek:

no smoking

Country flag
Since you are in Australia as you claim, does the Australian govt harasses those who want wants to know more? or is it that the Australian Govt's policy is to harass and gag the press?

Apparently, in China they are harassing, but then I am sure you could throw some light on how free the media is there as also how helpful the Chinese Govt to the foreign media in dishing out desired information most willingly.

I thought it is the job of the media to find out about a country in detail, warts and all! So, aren't the supposed to be the 'man who wants to know too much'?

In India that is the case where they are 'men who want to know too much' and the Govt can do very little about that.

Maybe you are right when you say I am Wrong. China surely does not want anyone to know, let alone knowing too much!!! :eek:
Take it easy, my friend. Since the first time I joined this forum, did I ever say: china is democratic country or press in china is free? No, I never said that. What I point out that you are making wrong is your logic: Do these journalists know anything that common chineses don't know? No.

The reason they are harassed is that they want to know more.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Take it easy, my friend. Since the first time I joined this forum, did I ever say: china is democratic country or press in china is free? No, I never said that. What I point out that you are making wrong is your logic: Do these journalists know anything that common chineses don't know? No.

The reason they are harassed is that they want to know more.
If these journalists do not know anything that common chineses don't know then what's wrong in wanting to know more.

In so far as the other issue of free press etc, one does not have to state it in so many words. Inference speaks for itself.

no smoking

Country flag
If these journalists do not know anything that common chineses don't know then what's wrong in wanting to know more.

In so far as the other issue of free press etc, one does not have to state it in so many words. Inference speaks for itself.
Well, we are talking about CCP. They don't like anything unexpected. When these journalists want to know more, you really don't know what would be next.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Well, we are talking about CCP. They don't like anything unexpected. When these journalists want to know more, you really don't know what would be next.
Rather lame an explanation.

Life is traversing an unknown path.

Can you predict tomorrow?

CCP can predict the unknown tomorrow?

So, by your explanation, would it be correct to feel that CCP is worried about tomorrow?

no smoking

Country flag
Rather lame an explanation.

Life is traversing an unknown path.

Can you predict tomorrow?

CCP can predict the unknown tomorrow?

So, by your explanation, would it be correct to feel that CCP is worried about tomorrow?
Why don't they? They are facing one of most difficult job in history: driving a hughe shabby truck with 1.4 billion passengers at a crazy speed. Do you think this driver would love to see any unexpected?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles