Why Indians are so much obsessed with English Language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Brahmins are Migrants only during Koch and Ahom rule...Bodos are older then them.
Bodos are older than koch and ahom period but who was Bhaskarvarman? It is fun debating you Indians on history.

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
@Ray
Do you think Indonesian, Thai lanaguges have richer literature than Bengali?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eastman

Country flag
Bodos are older than koch and ahom period but who was Bhaskarvarman? It is fun debating you Indians on history.
That doesn't explains that Brahmins came earlier then the Bodos.

Last edited:

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
That doesn't explains that Brahmins came earlier then the Bodos.
Do you know Xuangzang? Do you know that he visited India in 629-45 ? Do you know that he calls Bhaskarvarman as a brahmin and as a Shaiva? Even Samudragupta in fourth century AD knows a king of kamrupa who has varman as his title. Are you aware that Varman is brahmanic title( as per Shastras, a ruler should use that title)? Where is mention of Bodos or other tribals during that time?

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
I must add that most of austroasiatic tribals and TibetoBurman in East and North East such as Nagas, Bodos, Mundas are all much foreigner to these areas than Indo Aryans themselves. The Oraon tribals migrated from Narmada to Jharkhand whereas Bodos, Mizos came after early medieval age from south west China or Burma. Similarly , Ahoms are invaders to Assam as compared to Indo Aryans who settled there as early as 300 AD some 1000 years before Ahoms. Yet, stupids believe that they are " original".

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
There are people in Andhra called Lambadis and they are "adivasis" even when compared to telegus, they came much later to Andhra.

Simple_Guy

English language keeps evolving

Despite what many people think, the rules of a language – any language – are only defined by how people use that language. When you think about it, that has to be the case: the rules of English are different now from how they were in Milton's time, let alone Chaucer's, and no one has ever sat down and deliberately changed them; they've changed because the language has evolved.

Pullum is far from a triumphalist, British-is-best type – he left the country in the Eighties and moved to the United States to teach; his then wife and their son are black, and he was alarmed by the anti-immigrant "repatriation" rhetoric of the time. (Pullum has never corrected his son's grammar. "It never occurred to me. He spoke London English impeccably from being exposed to it, then switched to American English at eight.")

English is the most important language on the planet, he says – not because it's better but because, by historical accident, it happens to have spread around the globe. "It's not that English has won out because of its virtue," he says. "In some ways, English is highly unsuited to its role; it has 200 irregular verbs, where Swahili, for example, has none. It would have been wonderful to have Swahili as a global language, but it didn't happen."

Waffen SS

No one is talking to get back to ancient age.

Are only Indians living in 21st century that only Indians are to respond in call of time?!

What about Chinese, Japanese and Russians then? What about others than?

Many have difficulty to understand Hindi when written in Devnagari script, but no problem to read when written in Roman script, it is simple as that.

We will only learn English to communicate with others in international level, just like the way Russians do. Do only Indians communicate in international level? No.

If Russians can communicate among themselves in Russian and in international level in English then who said Indians to communicate always in English?

Of course we will learn English, neither against English, but hence we have our own rich languages why should use a foreign language to communicate between ourselves?(blind supporters of English education fail to understand this)

Colonial Hangover!!!

If Central Government uses Hindustani in Roman script and State Governments use respective local languages then what is problem?

And for God's sake no English medium education. @Damian, @militarysta learnt in Polish language, yet they can communicate in English.

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Devanagari script is most scientific script anywhere on earth and hence there is no use throwing it. Thai lanaguage is written in script derived from India and let me tell you, Thailand is way richer than poor hellslike Bengal or UP where there are millions who know English as good as British. A langauge written in foreign script does not make sense if there is already an advanced script.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
There are people in Andhra called Lambadis and they are "adivasis" even when compared to telegus, they came much later to Andhra.
You would do better to check where the 'lambadis [/I/ lamanis] came from to Andhra. They are also known as banjaras. Amd guess what they claim to be Agnivnashi Rajputs

So, quit 'dropping' half baked facts to appear knowledgeable!

I have met many of them on my tours of Andhra,

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
You would do better to check where the 'lambadis [/I/ lamanis] came from to Andhra. They are also known as banjaras. Amd guess what they claim to be Agnivnashi Rajputs

So, quit 'dropping' half baked facts to appear knowledgeable!

I have met many of them on my tours of Andhra,

They arrived in medieval age whereas Telegus have been there since ancient times. No one disputes this fact. So as compared to Telegus, they are indeed later immigrants.

You did not answer my question.

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Hindi is the official language and not the national language.

This has been stated in a Gujarat High Court ruling.
Bengali is certainly not the official langauge of India.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
They arrived in medieval age whereas Telegus have been there since ancient times. No one disputes this fact. So as compared to Telegus, they are indeed later immigrants.

You did not answer my question.
You are appearing like Sanjay Jha who deflects when confused and devoid of facts to counter.

What difference does it make?

Adivasi means Original People of the Land or does it mean something else since you are such a Indian Lagrange expert.

Adivasis are aboriginal people.

There are many theories about the origins of advasis as about who are the 'originals'.

However, the adivasis had arrived before those who claim to be, as you say, Brahmans.

Compare when the Vedic civilisation started and when the aboriginal people came to India!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
No one is talking to get back to ancient age.

Are only Indians living in 21st century that only Indians are to respond in call of time?!

What about Chinese, Japanese and Russians then? What about others than?

Many have difficulty to understand Hindi when written in Devnagari script, but no problem to read when written in Roman script, it is simple as that.

We will only learn English to communicate with others in international level, just like the way Russians do. Do only Indians communicate in international level? No.

If Russians can communicate among themselves in Russian and in international level in English then who said Indians to communicate always in English?

Of course we will learn English, neither against English, but hence we have our own rich languages why should use a foreign language to communicate between ourselves?(blind supporters of English education fail to understand this)

Colonial Hangover!!!

If Central Government uses Hindustani in Roman script and State Governments use respective local languages then what is problem?

And for God's sake no English medium education. @Damian, @militarysta learnt in Polish language, yet they can communicate in English.
This reminds me of the adage – cut off the nose to spite the face.

We have a distinct advantage of knowing English.
And it is being advocated that we get rid of this advantage just because the Chinese, Japanese, Germans, Patagonians, most of them, don't know English and only their own language
They can communicate in their own language because they have one language. In India, we have a whole lot of languages and we are not ready to accept any of the language as a sole language of India.
How many Chinese, Japanese, Germans, Patagonians who do not know English hold office in the international field? It is essential to know a language that has universality. Earlier, it was French and not it is English.
Let me give an example.
Hindi is the link language(not the National Language) in India and anyone who knows Hindi can navigate around India with very little problem and can even get jobs anywhere in India.
But if someone knew only his mother tongue, would that person be able to navigate around India or get a job?
Jyoti Basu made Bengali the sole language of instruction in Bengal. The result was that unemployment soared and people were unable to compete on an All India basis. Who suffered?
Go back to pre Independence and even post independence. Because of knowing the Mother tongue, English and even Hindi, Bengalis were in jobs of administration on an all India basis, they were lawyers and doctors by the abundance and educationists by the droves. Why? Other was slow in acquiring these skills.
But today?
Who dominate the Central Services, and other professions?
And why the decline in Bengalis?
Because of ultra chauvinism of Jyoti Basu that we are Bengalis and we must only know Bengali. That bloke ironical as it maybe was steeped in the English language and was educated in England!
On the other hand, in Bengali, when unemployment hit the Bengalis hard, and because of Hindi films, a large number of semi literate Bengalis learnt to converse in Hindi and so can be seen all over India selling flowers, and working in semi skilled jobs. Gujarat, Maharastra , Kerala is full of such boys. In fact, one of my Kerala friends jokingly said that Bengali is the second language of Kerala!
Therefore, there is the necessity to know a language that has international and national interactivity, not only for intelligible communications, but also to acquire jobs, in all spheres of activity and profession.
But scratch the issue of a national language, the backs of each community is up!
The Dravidian Movement is an ideal example of rejection of Hindi as the language that can be imposed on India.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
I want to work in Bengali only, and I demand every person coming to WB must communicate in Bengali only - same for AP, Tamilnadu, Kerala, everywhere.

Why should I learn Hindi? It is not my mother language, and only a little less alien than english. When english gives a better medium of education, hindi doesn't do so. And many of those, not from hindi background, actually doesn't know hindi itself. They think knowing the amalgamated Hindi-Urdu-English language, they know hindi.

I just hate this kind of blind nationalism. WB still got burn marks from this language-loving nationalism which kicked out english from schools and colleges only to produce generations of students who are scared of english.

Am I allowed to call them Idiots?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Devanagari script is most scientific script anywhere on earth and hence there is no use throwing it. Thai lanaguage is written in script derived from India and let me tell you, Thailand is way richer than poor hellslike Bengal or UP where there are millions who know English as good as British. A langauge written in foreign script does not make sense if there is already an advanced script.
Your view and you are no wonder of the world!

Poverty is no language based indicator.

Poverty in India can be attributed to:

Rapidly rising population
Low Agriculture Productivity
Under utilised Resources
Low Rate of Economic Development
Price Rise
Unemployment
Shortage of Capital and Poor Entrepreneurship
Social factors
Political Factors

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
This reminds me of the adage – cut off the nose to spite the face.

We have a distinct advantage of knowing English.
And it is being advocated that we get rid of this advantage just because the Chinese, Japanese, Germans, Patagonians, most of them, don't know English and only their own language
They can communicate in their own language because they have one language. In India, we have a whole lot of languages and we are not ready to accept any of the language as a sole language of India.
How many Chinese, Japanese, Germans, Patagonians who do not know English hold office in the international field? It is essential to know a language that has universality. Earlier, it was French and not it is English.
Let me give an example.
Hindi is the link language(not the National Language) in India and anyone who knows Hindi can navigate around India with very little problem and can even get jobs anywhere in India.
But if someone knew only his mother tongue, would that person be able to navigate around India or get a job?
Jyoti Basu made Bengali the sole language of instruction in Bengal. The result was that unemployment soared and people were unable to compete on an All India basis. Who suffered?
Go back to pre Independence and even post independence. Because of knowing the Mother tongue, English and even Hindi, Bengalis were in jobs of administration on an all India basis, they were lawyers and doctors by the abundance and educationists by the droves. Why? Other was slow in acquiring these skills.
But today?
Who dominate the Central Services, and other professions?
And why the decline in Bengalis?
Because of ultra chauvinism of Jyoti Basu that we are Bengalis and we must only know Bengali. That bloke ironical as it maybe was steeped in the English language and was educated in England!
On the other hand, in Bengali, when unemployment hit the Bengalis hard, and because of Hindi films, a large number of semi literate Bengalis learnt to converse in Hindi and so can be seen all over India selling flowers, and working in semi skilled jobs. Gujarat, Maharastra , Kerala is full of such boys. In fact, one of my Kerala friends jokingly said that Bengali is the second language of Kerala!
Therefore, there is the necessity to know a language that has international and national interactivity, not only for intelligible communications, but also to acquire jobs, in all spheres of activity and profession.
But scratch the issue of a national language, the backs of each community is up!
The Dravidian Movement is an ideal example of rejection of Hindi as the language that can be imposed on India.

Yes, the argument goes to prove that since we are so diverse in everything that is why Sonia Gandhi has a right of ruling the roost as we can not rule ourselves. No end to such illogical thinking that we can not adopt any thing common.... Except English...

If we can accept English as "Common" what prevents us accepting any other language including Hindi as common ?? Only our prejudices of being English educated ? and the rest being slaves ???

And pray tell me what has that English education given the country and society ? a false sense of superiority, deep prejudices, deep sense of alienation from the society and people, third class working skills, none of the developments in science and technology, a third rate bureaucracy, a deeply corrupt Babudom, third class teachers, thinkers and philosophers, pulp writers and journalist, west licking social workers and NGOs, an escaping NRIs, a class of traitors and ungrateful, money making doctors, money guzzling tutors, satanic police officers.... badly drafted laws that require changes the day those are introduced .. ill drafted policies that are not understood by any one except the drafters...

There is no end to the count....

Bollywood has demonstrated that Hindi can be an acceptable language ... at least in entertainment...

What else is required...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles