Why India can’t have its BBC

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by Ray, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

This article by the Jawahar Sircar, the CEO Prasar Bharati is an eye-opener.

AIR, Doordarshan have always been taken to be disdainfully as Govt pitter patter and mush.

However, this article indeed indicates the herculean task that it had and has on its platter with meagre staff and pitiable finances.

Earlier, right from the days of pre and post Independence, one had to have a annual radio licence to listen to AIR and Doordarshan, but some years back it was repealed. This opened up the airwaves to a greater audience. A wise move it was.

Indeed, both the AIR and Doordarshan have played a stellar role in stitching India to be the whole it is today.

One pays for DTH and cable TV, one wonders if it would be feasible to also have a radio and TV licence fee or would it be counter-productive.

There is no doubt that more money is needed if the programme content is to improve, but then without revamping it free of the bureaucracy, would pumping in money help?

There is also a need to have a heirarchial system so that incentives like promotion can enthuse the staff to deliver their best.

On the advice of a member of this forum, I have started seeing RS and LS TV channels. I find that they are nuggets of information and updates including discussions and devoid of the shouting, slanging matches that one has to bear during the Prime Time Debates on the commercial TV channels.

BBC indeed has a less daunting task.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    arnabmit and pmaitra like this.
  3. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

When I was a kid and liven in my native Village, every evening old and young men in the village tuned their radios to BBC for news and entertainment. This custom was followed religiously. But times have changed, BBC had to take it's India specific Radio Service off air. The Indian Media has displaced the BBC and our folks now consume information through Indian sources.

The real Q is why Doordarshan can't compete with the Private Media. Every Indian knows the answer.

pmaitra likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Indians love gossip and sensations.

That is why the silly soaps have such a huge audience. Hardly anyone cares for serious news or knowledge. They love to also see the sports channels and exult, while not having the inclination to go out and play the game themselves!

Even the news on the Private channels are watched because of its sensational value and a hint of gossip that excites the tired souls.

There is, however, no doubt that Doordarshan and AIR have to cut out their 'holier than thou' attitude of their presenters, commentators and the participants of their Debates and Discussion.

For instance, Maj Gen Mehta's style of conducting the Defence Debate is in the same style as when he was my Instructor at the Senior Command Course - monotonous and boring.

The Govt channels require to becoming more chatty and not appear to be stiff and like ventriloquist's dummies.

Not for a moment am I suggesting that they become like Arnab Goswami since it is more of him than having the audience a glimpse of the comments of the participants. Something like Akhtar Khan or even Nidhi Razdan would be OK, except being a wee bit partial to the commentators that NDTV champions all along.

In fact, the private TB should also not have participants like 'independent' Kumar Ketkar and his ilk or Zoya Hasan, whose slant is well known and predictable and of no value to the debate.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  5. Compersion

Compersion Senior Member Senior Member

Doordarshan ought lead the market in innovation for example have its channels in HD all over india.

6. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

Cable news shows, particularly prime time and even the early evening shows are atrocious, save one or two exceptions. No point watching them save for entertainment, if people can derive any from such shows.

Personally, I fight it pointless for members of the ruling party, the current one in particular to participate in these shows. I'd much rather the government follow the US model, where official spokespeople give daily briefing, occasionally including ministers and even the PM if the situation demands and be done with it. When you participate in such shows, you submit to the control of the host who can maneuver the discussion to suit his/his agenda, not something desirable.

Anyway, DD and AIR certainly deserve all the support. Hope these media are leveraged further by the government.