Why India and China not happy with each other and how could we settle it?

pankaj nema

Country flag
I have a theory that Since China cannot bully USA it started bullying India

But then China realised that India has become strong So now it has started bullying Vietnam

From India's side there is no problem at all It is ALL China's Fault

China only understands ONE Language that of power

So all we have to do is keep building our Armed forces

So just as China gave up its enemity with Russia because it realised that Russia is very powerful So similarly China will give up its enemity with India ONCE our military strength reaches a certain UNASSAILABLE level

amoy

Chinese are stickler to their old sayings,the one that comes to mind with regards to india and China,the one the commy's subscribe to in all earnestness,is that 'two lion cant live together on a mountain(or some thing to that effect).Indian and China cannot strategically reconcile beyond point.
Frankly Chinese and Indian poster naturally and persistently have discrepancies over status quo/prospect of Sino Indian relationship. Here's my take:

1) Indian posters often love (somehow) to see it from an 'ideological' perspective, such as China is a depressive / commy / totatlitarian state whereas India a democracy. In contrast most Chinese tend to "de-ideologize" Sino-India relationship and regard it as merely a geopolitical competition. Of course many are not convinced by Ind democracy. Unlike some fearmongering Indians most Chinese never upscale that competition to a major 'threat'. Instead it's but one of many ordinary conflicts in the neighborhood from time to time. Anyway we're seprated by Malaccas and Himalayan

2) Similarly some think the US is using India for "off-shore balancing" for China or vice versa. At this point I agree with a poster that GOI refers to Dragon's threat for internal audience's consumption.

3) Dalai Lama: Chinese tend to emphasize HH's political /separatist aspects (with the "gvnmt" in exile) while Indian keep on framing him as "spiritual" / "peaceful" . Depite all rhetorics Dalai Lama factor IMO is gradually downgrading in the bilateral relationship. Very likely Indian posters somehow exaggerate HH's role among Tibetans inside China whereas his influence is fading out day by day. Or in other words HH gets less and less relevant to the equation. As time goes by Tibetan refugees or the "gvnmt" in exile will become more of an India's problem than of China's.

Dalai lama's unique political philosophy,has previously prevented us from being adventurous with regards to Tibet,the recent change in guard in the Tibetan govt should give the Tibetan leadership a more room to innovative and aggressive in their effort to oust the Chinese
Nah, again, GoI acts in India's interest not HHDL or refugees' interest. In this case I think GoI has been run by more savvy-minded people than u or me.

China will continue to make efforts to aide power buffers in indian strategic neighborhood
I don't know whether u play Go or not. They're China's 'air-holes' for breath no matter there's an India or not. In Asia China is growing rapport with ASEAN members, Mongolia and Central Asian Stans. Yes buffers, but far beyond buffer zones.

S.A.T.A

The suggestion that India plays up the China factor for domestic consumptions is ludicrous,there is no section of Indian population except perhaps in the state of Arunachal Pradesh,where the China factor elicits a emotional response,China to indian populace is not what Pakistan is,hence has no political value that could peddled for the domestic consumption.

India's China policy is,as it should be, an entirely military-bureaucratic exercise,which is based on cold statistics of geostrategic gains,divested on any domestic political interests.

Dalai lama's receding political hold is precisely what India would have wanted from a political and strategic point of view,Dalai lama was conservative in his opposition to the Chinese occupation of Tibet,however his status among the Tibetans,his international profile,also ensured that Dalai lama could be free of any indian dependence when it came to policy deliberations.A new leadership,greenhorns compared to the Dalai lama,will depend on India to keep the Tibetan Govt-in-exile,engaged with the rest of the world.

This new situation will provide the Indian govt with greater leeway in influencing the govt-in-exiles policy regards China.China today holds rein in Tibet upon the force of authority,but to ensure normal suzerainty it has come to settlement with the Tibetan govt in exile,Dalai lama,inspite of all the hate propaganda circulated by the commy's against him,was the best hedge for China,to come to a settlement on terms that were advantageous to China.That opportunity may have one,India cannot be unhappy with it.

In a zero sum diplomacy,Its not what India gains,its what China loses,that remains the priority.India has not interest in China's other entanglements,If anything in regions as diverse as Mongolia,the Asean states and those in the Asia pacific,India seems to be the indispensable factor in the evolving geopolitical entente,although not directed specifically against China,but causing discomfit to China seems to be the reining philosophy

P.S:If Tibetan refugees in India do not raise any hackle with China,why then should China be perturbed.The truth is commy China knows better.

Last edited:

amoy

Sir S.A.T.A. your post reinforces my ideas in the previous post
This new situation will provide the Indian govt with greater leeway in influencing the govt-in-exiles policy regards China.China today holds rein in Tibet upon the force of authority,but to ensure normal suzerainty it has come to settlement with the Tibetan govt in exile,Dalai lama,inspite of all the hate propaganda circulated by the commy's against him,was the best hedge for China,to come to a settlement on terms that were advantageous to China.That opportunity may have one,India cannot be unhappy with it.
let time tell (in 3-5years) whose prediction will be proven - I wrote
Depite all rhetorics Dalai Lama factor IMO is gradually downgrading in the bilateral relationship. Very likely Indian posters somehow exaggerate HH's role among Tibetans inside China whereas his influence is fading out day by day. Or in other words HH gets less and less relevant to the equation. As time goes by Tibetan refugees or the "gvnmt" in exile will become more of an India's headache than of China's.
And HH DL's international profile? ?? I think yours is quite well written abt 'China Policy'
based on cold statistics of geostrategic gains.
applicable for other powers than India too regarding HHDL and the 'gvnmt' in exile

johnee

As long as the there is HH or Tibetan Exile Govt outside China opposing the occupation of Tibet, then it is a spark waiting to be fanned into flames. China knows it, India knows it and the world knows it.

After HH, the things can move either way depending on how its tackled. Tibetans may become more assertive or they may learn to live in slavery. It depends on various factors, one of which is the next leadership of Tibet, leadership of India and leadership of China.

One of the other factors is the global financial crisis and its impact on China and whether this would create domestic seige for CCP regime.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Frankly Chinese and Indian poster naturally and persistently have discrepancies over status quo/prospect of Sino Indian relationship. Here's my take:

1) Indian posters often love (somehow) to see it from an 'ideological' perspective, such as China is a depressive / commy / totatlitarian state whereas India a democracy. In contrast most Chinese tend to "de-ideologize" Sino-India relationship and regard it as merely a geopolitical competition. Of course many are not convinced by Ind democracy. Unlike some fearmongering Indians most Chinese never upscale that competition to a major 'threat'. Instead it's but one of many ordinary conflicts in the neighborhood from time to time. Anyway we're seprated by Malaccas and Himalayan

2) Similarly some think the US is using India for "off-shore balancing" for China or vice versa. At this point I agree with a poster that GOI refers to Dragon's threat for internal audience's consumption.

3) Dalai Lama: Chinese tend to emphasize HH's political /separatist aspects (with the "gvnmt" in exile) while Indian keep on framing him as "spiritual" / "peaceful" . Depite all rhetorics Dalai Lama factor IMO is gradually downgrading in the bilateral relationship. Very likely Indian posters somehow exaggerate HH's role among Tibetans inside China whereas his influence is fading out day by day. Or in other words HH gets less and less relevant to the equation. As time goes by Tibetan refugees or the "gvnmt" in exile will become more of an India's problem than of China's.

Nah, again, GoI acts in India's interest not HHDL or refugees' interest. In this case I think GoI has been run by more savvy-minded people than u or me.

I don't know whether u play Go or not. They're China's 'air-holes' for breath no matter there's an India or not. In Asia China is growing rapport with ASEAN members, Mongolia and Central Asian Stans. Yes buffers, but far beyond buffer zones.

You have raised a very interesting point.

I have always been wondering what the future of the Tibetans in India is gonna be. Apparently they can't return to China since most of them lost their Chinese nationalities. Neither will other countries accept them because there are so many of them out there.

I guess their only choice would be staying in India forever. Maybe they can build their own country inside India. In fact, I think building an independent Tibetan country inside India is their only way out. I read somewhere that although they have been living in India for over 50 years, Indian government still refuses to grant Tibetans farmland. They need to stand up and ask for some land from India if they want to survive.

nimo_cn

Country flag
This is really amusing considering that China was the first country in Asia to get nukes, thus beginning the Asian arms race.
See, Indians are blaming China for their own nuclear weapons. So India set off that bomd because China had done that before you did?

Give me a break. Pakistanis can't even make their own car. You expect them to make nukes?
As if Indian could make some cars.

We don't need to ask you to abandon Pakistan. Your friends are abandoning themselves.
Then no hard feelings for our relationship with Pakistan.

A.V.

whats this issue with the word chicom :- a warning to all indian users who use this word on posts , please refer to forum rules , this hate word is banned and not allowed on dfi

if u have to debate debate with heat not with disrespect ,

all indian posters who have used these words in their posts please edit out and use respectful terminology and dont stoop to the level of troll and low quality forums with such kind of hate attitude

pankaj nema

Country flag
Chinese are Naturally born Bullies

Just as Pakistanis are Naturally born Jihadis

So how do you handle such bullies Just by being very strong

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Chinese are Naturally born Bullies

Just as Pakistanis are Naturally born Jihadis

So how do you handle such bullies Just by being very strong
People become what they are forced to become from childhood.

Naturally both the govts of pak and china are tyrannical and have rewritten history.

shaka

I guess their only choice would be staying in India forever. Maybe they can build their own country inside India. In fact, I think building an independent Tibetan country inside India is their only way out. I read somewhere that although they have been living in India for over 50 years, Indian government still refuses to grant Tibetans farmland.
Nothing is forever. Countries/empires/nations all fall one day. Didnt the Israelis get their promised land "back". Who other than Israelis could have thought about that about 500 years ago. Maybe if they can preserve their culture within India they can form their own nation on land which is currently called Xīzàng in chinese.

They need to stand up and ask for some land from India if they want to survive.
They will survive just fine. You (Chinese) should be the last person to worry about that. Hospitality is in Indian blood.

Sikh_warrior

Professional
maybe chinese dont like the chinese food sold in india, its too much indianised chinese food!

even a roadside vendor is selling "Chowmin"!

Illusive

Country flag
We should have football matches between our countries, this'd be the crowd together.

India would like China to be more transparent in its policy towards us. Trust building is an important factor in any relationship or even partnership.

But China seems to doing the opposite, its attitude has been provocative. India has always encouraged peace between the countries.
China should respond positively.

Sikh_warrior

Professional
We should have football matches between our countries, this'd be the crowd together.

India would like China to be more transparent in its policy towards us. Trust building is an important factor in any relationship or even partnership.

But China seems to doing the opposite, its attitude has been provocative. India has always encouraged peace between the countries.
China should respond positively.
you sound like one of those promoting cricket and kabbadi matches with pakistan and light candles at wagah border!

part of Kuldeep nayar gang!

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
See, Indians are blaming China for their own nuclear weapons. So India set off that bomd because China had done that before you did?
I don't know. I wasn't alive back then and I wasn't involved in the program. Maybe China was a factor, maybe it wasn't. I'm just raising possibilities. The United States was also a very big factor, especially after the 1971 War when the U.S. tried to intervene.

What caused China to develop nuclear weapons first, if China is so peaceful?

As if Indian could make some cars.
Mahindra Scorpio, one of the more popular Indian SUVs.

Please show me a comparable Paki car. If not, you should have done some research before revealing your ignorance on public forums.

Then no hard feelings for our relationship with Pakistan.
It's just a matter of waiting, that's all. As more and more Pakistanis die as a result of political instability and their country collapses before their eyes, and now that even Chinese citizens in Xinjiang are being killed by Pakistani terrorists, how long do you think this relationship will last?

In the next decade PRC will discard Pakistan as ally. But it will do so quietly.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles