Why hinduism is declining

Brood Father

Country flag
This question has alluded me since childhood , that why hinduism which is for me the best religion ever existed is also the dying religion
Unlike Islam and Christianity it always let's you decide what your path of salvation is , unlike monolithic religion, hinduism do not force itself upon you
But nowadays calling yourself Hindu is no less than a abuse , the last resort of Hindu which is India is now shrinking and within a century you can find Hindus in the museum
Why this happened and can we resolve this

sukhish

I'am not so sure it is declining. I think the old way of doing things is being replaced by the 21 century way of doing things, and west has a near monopoly on these. yes it is the oldest religion, but what have the followers of the this religion done to it ? have they invented any new way of doing things. west has introduced a lot of changes on doing things. religion and economics go hand in hand. when people see destitute poverty in India, they do not think about this religion is great light.

sukhish

given a chance most of the followers of this religion would most likely settle in west, purely because of economics.
had India done all the inventions and created capitalism etc etc, people would have seen it in great light. people see it better then islam for sure, but that's where it stops. once you start thinking about the 21 century its all western.

SANITY

I will add are nation full of "Dhongi Babas" creating superstition as reasons along with RSS-VHP kind of organisation and some people in BJP like Sakshi Maharaj, Adityanath etc who can't even speak like sane people using sane language. Another reason is/might be that we don't propogate our faith the way other faiths do, however, its a minor issue. Dalai Lama calls ancient India as guru of Buddhist people but it's a different India. Again, these right wingers too don't seem too understand its message and philosophies. At one side they speak of protecting Hindu culture, on the other actively working to destroy it. The reasons that made BR Ambedkar leave Hinduism due to discrimination from upper caste people has still not changed.

I have not seen much comment against Hindus but a few I got was because of RSS fundamentalists. They are blot on the name of Hindu culture and civilization. They will say that Hindutva and Hinduism are separate matters but they are hindus so whatever stupidity they do; will add disrepute to our faith. I can defend Hinduism, I can't defend Hindutva.

sukhish

RSS has a lot of following, so not much hope. the socially backwards people are never the great inventors.
India was and still seen as moth eaten country. china has progressed a lot in recent time, even though they have no religion technically. people are not going the read your scriptures or religious textbooks, they judge with what you are and your capability. there is long way to go. economic progress is the key. what RSS wants is relegious progress (which is economic progress backwards). they were oppsed to computer some time back, after seeing US and some NRI's they changed their stance, and they now seems to the biggest supported of capitalism. Iam not here to defend right or wrong. but there is a long way.

SANITY

I don't know, in my city, I have only recently seen a few old men in half pants in park when I go for morning walk but most people have no idea what RSS is and no one pays any attention to them. The problem is their presence in politics. And they don't want religious progress, have you ever heard RSS chief making any comment that would be based on Hindu teachings? Negative. The media is giving attention to these braindead people whenever they say or do anything.

DingDong

Country flag
I will add are nation full of "Dhongi Babas" creating superstition as reasons along with RSS-VHP kind of organisation and some people in BJP like Sakshi Maharaj, Adityanath etc who can't even speak like sane people using sane language. Another reason is/might be that we don't propogate our faith the way other faiths do, however, its a minor issue. Dalai Lama calls ancient India as guru of Buddhist people but it's a different India. Again, these right wingers too don't seem too understand its message and philosophies. At one side they speak of protecting Hindu culture, on the other actively working to destroy it. The reasons that made BR Ambedkar leave Hinduism due to discrimination from upper caste people has still not changed.

I have not seen much comment against Hindus but a few I got was because of RSS fundamentalists. They are blot on the name of Hindu culture and civilization. They will say that Hindutva and Hinduism are separate matters but they are hindus so whatever stupidity they do; will add disrepute to our faith. I can defend Hinduism, I can't defend Hindutva.
If Dhongi Babas are reason behind decline then why don't Christianity and Islam decline despite having so many paedophiles and perverts as their equivalent of "Dhongi Babas"?

BR Ambedkar wasn't god, he was not the most enlightened being who ever existed on earth. He had his own reasons for leaving Hinduism.

There are coward leeches in our country who won't won't come to their mother's rescue claiming that she resisted and used violence against her rapist.

Brood Father

Country flag
One thing I find is the lack of central authority
Islam is controlled by petro funded dollar and chrisanity by Vatican
In hinduism there is no such thing ,all you can hear is Shankaracharya and other dhongi baba who last time were busy articulating that why sai baba is not a god

cannonfodder

Country flag
This will be interesting discussion...

These are some factors that immediately come to my mind:
1. When KP's were harassed in J&K or any other place, we let them suffer and die.
The point is that one will wonder what is benefit of being part of community. It does not translate into protective/mass power.
2. Lower fertility rate: None of my cousins/siblings are having 2 or more children. Majority of them have stopped at 1. From more than 3 on average my family trend is dropped less than 1.5 at current generation. This is just personal experience, overall stats may be different.(But this is major shift in my opinion).
3. No pride in Hinduism or guilt of caste system :wink:.

FRYCRY

Country flag
Do you think islam is powerful? In last decade it must have become the most left religion...hinduism is more like a culture today with majority of hindu youth being semi atheist.

AnantS

Country flag
Hinduism is anything but declining. The moment world adopted Yoga, This gave clear indication that many people around world started agreeing to very basic tenet of Hinduism. I would rather say, hinduism in India today is getting rid of dead weight it accumulated in centuries. Today, you have people in western world discussing if they have become hindus(in thoughts). Most people when they imagine Hinduism can be only be powerful if it becomes quasi military religion like Muslims and Evangelists. Hinduism even during its peak never enforced its thought. Because there is no single thought/philosophy. Hinduism drives its power from acceptance of various philosophies(which may be diametrically opposite to each other.) Hinduism survived till today because it evolved with times and adopted new practices to survive(good/bad). Hinduism even during its worst times that is during evil muslim rule, did not die but sprang back to vigour, tells you about its inherent strength. All I can say is as more people enter in Hindu way of thoughts, Indian Hindus should be prepared to accept them with their different way of living.

The 22nd century world would verily be combination western world of action and eastern way of thinking, (if Islam reforms), otherwise we are heading towards another global conflict

raja696

I would say for the past few centuries due to colonial rule and invasions of sultanates, has broken and left gaps in inherited knowledge of Hinduism which used to pass from generation to generation.

These gaps helped british, communists to plant seeds of poison in Hinduism to convert in to cristians. Most Muslims are converted centuries ago by force from Hinduism.

Now having lost most of the hindu knowledge maximum hindus are just lineage but not true practitioners because of absence or gaps of knowledge blocked from there true hindu ancestors.

Thanks to internet and social media , these gaps are slowly refilling with the hindu concepts in there lifestyles, especially in middle class society(larger pie of income generating society) for values and morale strength. So at present, not so confident hindu non practitioner's are becoming strong hindus.

Since the internet and social media is limited to mode of English language or education in terms of end user capabilities of tech most of lower class of society is far from reaching the hindu knowledge and having difficulty in understanding concepts. Hopefully tv channels cover that gap.

Now here there is a problem . These lower class are very financially poor and lack health care. So this is were missionaries are targeting there vunerabilities. They offer money to tackle there problems Or they go to any disease prone person and say we will pray for you and tell there family to convert if that person recovers. If that person recovers its bonus all family is converted or else that chap dead for good out of suffering.

This nasty conversions is what hindus should counter, poor hindus need financial help from organisations. So only answer is Hindu temple funding should play there role in that gap. Thats why temples have to be freed from endowments department all over India and concentrate there funds in to hindu consolidation bank (like vatican for cristians)

Btw to your query hindus are on path of raising above there limitations from there past century down fall. So i would say Hinduism is increasing slowly and much stronger than ever before. I wish this should continue few more decades uninterrupted and for that middle class families are key to the puzzle.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Only one reason, left plus Congress rule which is responsible for this situation, fake historians fake history and opposing every Hindu practice in the name of secularism and social reforms !

Rather than promoting good Hindu practices in the society these people have injected hatred and shame against Hindus. On the other hand they were appreciating Abrahmics on fake grounds keeping both the eyes closed.

Hinduism is not a religion at all it's a philosophy. Unlike Abrahmics we don't have process of conversion which is the prime reason behind religious killings and extremism. Vedas permit us to be atheist and to be a Hindu at the same time.

Last edited:

SANITY

If Dhongi Babas are reason behind decline then why don't Christianity and Islam decline despite having so many paedophiles and perverts as their equivalent of "Dhongi Babas"?
The title of thread asks the reason for declining Hinduism but I don't know if it's actually declining and others are not. I am just pointing errors within our society which does not give Hindus a better name. Christianity and Islam (with their idea personal gods) where their versions of faith makes a distinction/discrimination with others will die down eventually.
BR Ambedkar wasn't god, he was not the most enlightened being who ever existed on earth. He had his own reasons for leaving Hinduism.
He never claimed to be a god. He began movement against untouchability, to be allowed to enter in temples to be allowed to drink from public sources in 1927.
Ambedkar , in 1930, after some preparation along with some 15,000 volunteers marched to Kalaram Temple but when they reached the Temple, the gates were closed by Brahmins in temple.
I wouldn't argue about how enlightened he was, he had valid reasons to adopt another faith. He converted to Buddhism on 14th October 1956 with many thousands of other dalits.

There are coward leeches in our country who won't won't come to their mother's rescue claiming that she resisted and used violence against her rapist.
Nonsense. Examples?

Last edited:

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag

I don't know, in my city, I have only recently seen a few old men in half pants in park when I go for morning walk but most people have no idea what RSS is and no one pays any attention to them. The problem is their presence in politics. And they don't want religious progress, have you ever heard RSS chief making any comment that would be based on Hindu teachings? Negative. The media is giving attention to these braindead people whenever they say or do anything.
Nonsense. Examples?! oh! the nonsense above are themselves the examples of nonsense.

@Ancient Indian, @prasadr14 - we have the taquiyyauddin here oozing again with expert commentaries from every pore! :lol:

Last edited:

asingh10

The decline happened because they abandoned the realism of Mahabharata, Vishnusharma (Panchtantra fame), Vishnugupta (Chanakya) for "spirituality" which has become a neat word for escapism and finding comfort in defeat.

"Afflicted with the vows, thy cry is Religion! Religion! Hast thou from despair been deprived of thy manliness? Cowards alone, unable to win back their prosperity, cherish despair, which is fruitless and destructive of one's purposes. Thou hast ability and eyes. Thou seest that manliness dwelleth in us. It is because thou hast adopted a life of peace that thou feelest not this distress. These Dhritarashtras regard us who are forgiving, as really incompetent. This, O king, grieveth me more than death in battle. If we all die in fair fight without turning our backs on the foe, even that would be better than this exile, for then we should obtain regions of bliss in the other world. Or, if, O bull of the Bharata race, having slain them all, we acquire the entire earth, that would be prosperity worth the trial. We who ever adhere to the customs of our order, who ever desire grand achievements, who wish to avenge our wrongs, have this for our bounden duty. Our kingdom wrested from us, if we engage in battle, our deeds when known to the world will procure for us fame and not slander. And that virtue, O king, which tortureth one's own self and friends, is really no virtue. It is rather vice, producing calamities. Virtue is sometimes also the weakness of men. And though such a man might ever be engaged in the practice of virtue, yet both virtue and profit forsake him, like pleasure and pain forsaking a person that is dead. He that practiseth virtue for virtue's sake always suffereth. He can scarcely be called a wise man, for he knoweth not the purposes of virtue like a blind man incapable of perceiving the solar light. He that regardeth his wealth to exist for himself alone, scarcely understandeth the purposes of wealth. He is really like a servant that tendeth kine in a forest. He again that pursueth wealth too much without pursuing virtue and enjoyments, deserveth to be censured and slain by all men. "

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m03/m03033.htm

" I do not behold the creature in this world that supports life without doing any act of injury to others. Animals live upon animals, the stronger upon the weaker. The mongoose devours mice; the cat devours the mongoose; the dog devours the cat; the dog again is devoured by the spotted leopard. Behold all things again are devoured by the Destroyer when he comes! This mobile and immobile universe is food for living creatures. This has, been ordained by the gods. The man of knowledge, therefore, is never stupefied at it. It behoveth thee, O great king, to become that which thou art by birth. Foolish (Kshatriyas) alone, restraining wrath and joy take refuge in the woods. The very ascetics cannot support their lives without killing creatures. In water, on earth, and fruits, there are innumerable creatures. It is not true that one does not slaughter them. What higher duty is there than supporting one's life? 2 There are many creatures that are so minute that their existence can only be inferred. With the failing of the eyelids alone, they are destroyed. There are men who subduing wrath and pride betake themselves to ascetic courses of life and leaving village and towns repair to the woods. Arrived there, those men may be seen to be so stupefied as to adopt the domestic mode of life once more. Others may be seen, who (in the observance of domesticity) tilling the soil, uprooting herbs, cutting off trees and killing birds and animals, perform sacrifices and at last attain to heaven. O son of Kunti, I have no doubt in this that the acts of all creatures become crowned with success only when the policy of chastisement is properly applied. If chastisement were abolished from the world, creatures wood soon be destroyed. Like fishes in the water, stronger animals prey on the weaker. This truth was formerly spoken by Brahmana himself, viz., that chastisement, properly applied upholds creatures. Behold, the very fires, when extinguished, blaze up again, in fright, when blown. This is due to the fear of force or chastisement. If there were no chastisement in the world distinguishing the good from the bad, then the whole world would have been"

"Nobody is anybody's friend; nobody is anybody's well-wisher; persons become friends or foes only from motives of interest. Interest enlists interest even as tame elephants catch wild individuals of their species. After, again, an act has been accomplished, the doer is scarcely regarded. "

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m12/m12a137.htm

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
He never claimed to be a god. He began movement against untouchability, to be allowed to enter in temples to be allowed to drink from public sources in 1927.
Ambedkar , in 1930, after some preparation along with some 15,000 volunteers marched to Kalaram Temple but when they reached the Temple, the gates were closed by Brahmins in temple.
I wouldn't argue about how enlightened he was, he had valid reasons to adopt another faith. He converted to Buddhism on 14th October 1956 with many thousands of other dalits
oh his real name was Bhimrao Ramji and ambedkar was given to him by some one from upper caste so that he could enter the class room. Still he never realised that it is more political and failed to segregate this from political goals of few thekedars of minorities.

Of course he stopped Muslims from entering the crucial seats that's why I respect him. But he could not deliver a system which may not be used for political goals by thekedars of dalit like mayavati and now days kanahiya kumar type Jahils.

asingh10

"Afflicted with the vows, thy cry is Religion! Religion! Hast thou from despair been deprived of thy manliness? Cowards alone, unable to win back their prosperity, cherish despair, which is fruitless and destructive of one's purposes. Thou hast ability and eyes. Thou seest that manliness dwelleth in us. It is because thou hast adopted a life of peace that thou feelest not this distress. These Dhritarashtras regard us who are forgiving, as really incompetent. This, O king, grieveth me more than death in battle. If we all die in fair fight without turning our backs on the foe, even that would be better than this exile, for then we should obtain regions of bliss in the other world. Or, if, O bull of the Bharata race, having slain them all, we acquire the entire earth, that would be prosperity worth the trial. We who ever adhere to the customs of our order, who ever desire grand achievements, who wish to avenge our wrongs, have this for our bounden duty. Our kingdom wrested from us, if we engage in battle, our deeds when known to the world will procure for us fame and not slander. And that virtue, O king, which tortureth one's own self and friends, is really no virtue. It is rather vice, producing calamities. Virtue is sometimes also the weakness of men. And though such a man might ever be engaged in the practice of virtue, yet both virtue and profit forsake him, like pleasure and pain forsaking a person that is dead. He that practiseth virtue for virtue's sake always suffereth. He can scarcely be called a wise man, for he knoweth not the purposes of virtue like a blind man incapable of perceiving the solar light. He that regardeth his wealth to exist for himself alone, scarcely understandeth the purposes of wealth. He is really like a servant that tendeth kine in a forest. He again that pursueth wealth too much without pursuing virtue and enjoyments, deserveth to be censured and slain by all men. "

More than one lesson here by Bhima for Hindus who :-

1. Indulge in virtue signalling (we hindus are secular, we hindus are feminist, we are so liberal as opposed to xyz etc) to get approval .

2. Cry and wallow in victim hood incessantly instead of doing something productive to recover their loss.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
The decline happened because they abandoned the realism of Mahabharata, Vishnusharma (Panchtantra fame), Vishnugupta (Chanakya) for "spirituality" which has become a neat word for escapism and finding comfort in defeat.

" I do not behold the creature in this world that supports life without doing any act of injury to others. Animals live upon animals, the stronger upon the weaker. The mongoose devours mice; the cat devours the mongoose; the dog devours the cat; the dog again is devoured by the spotted leopard. Behold all things again are devoured by the Destroyer when he comes! This mobile and immobile universe is food for living creatures. This has, been ordained by the gods. The man of knowledge, therefore, is never stupefied at it. It behoveth thee, O great king, to become that which thou art by birth. Foolish (Kshatriyas) alone, restraining wrath and joy take refuge in the woods. The very ascetics cannot support their lives without killing creatures. In water, on earth, and fruits, there are innumerable creatures. It is not true that one does not slaughter them. What higher duty is there than supporting one's life? 2 There are many creatures that are so minute that their existence can only be inferred. With the failing of the eyelids alone, they are destroyed. There are men who subduing wrath and pride betake themselves to ascetic courses of life and leaving village and towns repair to the woods. Arrived there, those men may be seen to be so stupefied as to adopt the domestic mode of life once more. Others may be seen, who (in the observance of domesticity) tilling the soil, uprooting herbs, cutting off trees and killing birds and animals, perform sacrifices and at last attain to heaven. O son of Kunti, I have no doubt in this that the acts of all creatures become crowned with success only when the policy of chastisement is properly applied. If chastisement were abolished from the world, creatures wood soon be destroyed. Like fishes in the water, stronger animals prey on the weaker. This truth was formerly spoken by Brahmana himself, viz., that chastisement, properly applied upholds creatures. Behold, the very fires, when extinguished, blaze up again, in fright, when blown. This is due to the fear of force or chastisement. If there were no chastisement in the world distinguishing the good from the bad, then the whole world would have been"

"Nobody is anybody's friend; nobody is anybody's well-wisher; persons become friends or foes only from motives of interest. Interest enlists interest even as tame elephants catch wild individuals of their species. After, again, an act has been accomplished, the doer is scarcely regarded. "

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m12/m12a137.htm
is this the same quote you had shared once earlier in some other thread, long back? i was looking for this since days.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

further to the above:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles