Why Engineering is the Best Career Option?

Sridevi

Why all parents push their children to opt for engineering after +2 studies, Do you think engineering is the best career option only left ?

Last edited:

pmaitra

Welcome to DFI, @Sridevi.

That is the name of one of the most beautiful actresses of India.

Engineering? Well, any career is good as long as the skills have demand. Getting a degree in social studies will not get you anywhere, and if you are lucky, you can be a cookie distributor.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Getting a degree in social studies will not get you anywhere, and if you are lucky, you can be a cookie distributor.
That is a comment worthy of a nincompoop. Did not expect it from you. You should keep away from Akim and Jouni and their ilk. They seem to be rubbing off on you.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
That is a comment worthy of a nincompoop. Did not expect it from you. You should keep away from Akim and Jouni and their ilk. They seem to be rubbing off on you.
I actually think that's one of his saner comments. Really, what benefit does social studies add to society? It produces the likes of that rNdtv girl, who asked if the present growth in MODI govt will only affect Hindu upper caste males.:rolleyes:

brational

Country flag

tsunami

Country flag
Well I am an Engineer and I do believe that it's the best course.

To get good job in Today's environment I believe Being a Doctor, CA, MBA and Engineer is good and secure courses. (Please mention other if I missed some).

Now out of these 4 courses Engineering is the safest option to begin with.
MBBS entrance exam are really pain in ass.
MBA you really need to do it with good collage otherwise do it not very useful.
CA aging completing the course is difficult.

Also out of these 4 courses only CA and Engineering are affordable for a middle class parents.

So for Engineering entrance exam is simplest unlike MBBS, course is easy unlike CA, Collage doesn't matter much unlike MBA because you can still get a good job from normal collages of any state and city and it is cheap too.

pmaitra

I don't temper my comments to please the audience. I temper it to be within the rules. That is all.

I have apt words to describe the cookie distributor. It's just the forum rules that come in the way.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
I actually think that's one of his saner comments. Really, what benefit does social studies add to society? It produces the likes of that rNdtv girl, who asked if the present growth in MODI govt will only affect Hindu upper caste males.:rolleyes:
I don't temper my comments to please the audience. I temper it to be within the rules. That is all.

I have apt words to describe the cookie distributor. It's just the forum rules that come in the way.
Do you even have an idea what the subjects of social science are? You think Geography, History, Psychology, economics, anthropology are waste of education? Boy, you are sooooo dense!

What a person can or cannot achieve in his life when partly depends on his choice of subject, it is wasteful to study some subject the person is not suitable for. The craze of engineering is so much, I have seen people wasting 2-3 years to get in a respectable institute, and then failing and opring for some low grade institute, passing out they are unable to find a good job. OTOH, one of my friend studied Geography and after about a decade he is a skilled highly sought after consultant on some new satellite based geographt srusy which actually is revolutionised the urban life. What do you rhis Goigle map is? It is a geography project mainly aided with engineering.

Yes, engineering is important, but not a sole important subject. The people who try to undermine one discipline in favour of others are generally people with less than average wisdom who don't have the most basic of idea of education and knowledge - no knowledge is wasteful. Yes, you got educated and learned a discipline and earning good money living in a good place, but you might need to develop some wisdom too.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
You think Geography, History, Psychology, economics, anthropology are waste of education? Boy, you are sooooo dense!
Na, they are all sciences, hard sciences infact. I am talking about the gender studies, liberal arts, and the likes.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Na, they are all sciences, hard sciences infact. I am talking about the gender studies, liberal arts, and the likes.

Yeah. That is why the word is social science. But, those you have mentioned are useless or rather have become useless these days. Once those were actually something that contributed positively to society and its development. But nowadays those are too much laden with agenda rather than actual studies.

Soci

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Well I am an Engineer and I do believe that it's the best course.

To get good job in Today's environment I believe Being a Doctor, CA, MBA and Engineer is good and secure courses. (Please mention other if I missed some).

Now out of these 4 courses Engineering is the safest option to begin with.
MBBS entrance exam are really pain in ass.
MBA you really need to do it with good collage otherwise do it not very useful.
CA aging completing the course is difficult.

Also out of these 4 courses only CA and Engineering are affordable for a middle class parents.

So for Engineering entrance exam is simplest unlike MBBS, course is easy unlike CA, Collage doesn't matter much unlike MBA because you can still get a good job from normal collages of any state and city and it is cheap too.

Why all parents push their children to opt for engineering after +2 studies, Do you think engineering is the best career option only left ?
hello ...are you a girl ?
well i agree with the sense of @pmaitra's statement that one should look at the career prospects of the paths available to us ...different countries face shortages in different areas , and the same country at different points in time will face changes in demand, so you cannot use supply and demand as the oly factor - most importantly you should choose something youre talented at . The age-old secure paths are engineering, accountancy and medicine ...engineering is good because it is a rigourous study and enables you academically and forms a great brains of logical thinking , which is rather useful in life and most employers would like that

~but new careers are also available - like informatics , which is a bit "newer" and also business administration - in some rich nations law is a great career with a load of benefits ....then there are the bio-sciences and dentistry

so although engineering is good, i doubt it holds the prestige it once held in the past ---- we live in a rapidly hanging world and what was true of 5 - 8 years ago may be totally reversed or radically changed today as demands change and saturation may set in

Engineering? Well, any career is good as long as the skills have demand. Getting a degree in social studies will not get you anywhere, and if you are lucky, you can be a cookie distributor.
social studies ? again depends on your situation ...a person aiming for a career in academia can do soc studs and have a great life ahead of them ..... i knew a guy who aimed for BA in history and he went all out for it joined the foreign service ( external affairs ) and today is a celebrated diplomat and prosperous as anything.

but if they are an average student - then i agree , there may not be much in store other than cookie distribution - ..

@Sridevi
.otoh other thatn the examples i gave a good soc-studs student can get in to journalism, advertising , banking marketing , if they are impressive , economics ,statistics ... it depends how you mould your career

...it depends on your career plan and how talented you are - no point going in to mbbs and you are miserable all they way through, it will show up in later career and then you might have to do a career change !!

my advice is .......go for what youre not just good at but rather talented, where you can be creative, at and if you like it ( which usually is the case ) then that would be the best bet , the best course of action, by my reckoning .

...hope that helps
@angeldude13@Abhijat@Ancient Indian@anupamsurey@aliyah @Alien @apple @Aravind Sanjeev @A chauhan

@bose @Bornubus @brational@blueblood@Blackwater@Blood+@Bangalorean@bengalraider
@cobra commando@Chirag
@DingDong@ersakthivel@guru-dutt@Hari Sud@hit&run
@indiandefencefan@I_PLAY_BAD@Indibomber@jackprince
@Kunal Biswas@LETHALFORCE@laughingbuddha@mhk99 @maomao @Neil@OneGrimPilgrim@pmaitra@PaliwalWarrior@Pulkit
@Rowdy@Razor@Rashna@[email protected]
@Sakal Gharelu Ustad@Srinivas_K@sgarg@sabari@Sameet2@saik@sorcerer @sydsnyper @Sridevi
@TejasMK3@The enlightened
@tejas warrior@tharun@thethinker@tsunami@Screambowl@Sylex21

@VIP@Yusuf@Yumdoot@Zebra

@Nicky G@FRYCRY @Chinmoy @Vishwarupa

addendum: saw this a bit later

Do you even have an idea what the subjects of social science are? You think Geography, History, Psychology, economics, anthropology are waste of education? Boy, you are sooooo dense!

What a person can or cannot achieve in his life when partly depends on his choice of subject, it is wasteful to study some subject the person is not suitable for. The craze of engineering is so much, I have seen people wasting 2-3 years to get in a respectable institute, and then failing and opring for some low grade institute, passing out they are unable to find a good job. OTOH, one of my friend studied Geography and after about a decade he is a skilled highly sought after consultant on some new satellite based geographt srusy which actually is revolutionised the urban life. What do you rhis Goigle map is? It is a geography project mainly aided with engineering.

Yes, engineering is important, but not a sole important subject. The people who try to undermine one discipline in favour of others are generally people with less than average wisdom who don't have the most basic of idea of education and knowledge - no knowledge is wasteful. Yes, you got educated and learned a discipline and earning good money living in a good place, but you might need to develop some wisdom too.
i think engineering is actually over-rated these days .....it is a hang over from the past when india and many other asian nations were in the development stage so there was great demand for infrastructural development ...... well india is still in dev mode so there will be demand , but engrg is a tough profession and often you have to relocate

basically i still feel it is where your talent lies and where you can shine plus enjoy and feel the profession is what you are !

so to answer the question in the thread title - well it is an incorrect observation - it is not the best - most people are going for it perhaps because as someone suggested , it is not an expensive option - ...... the best is where you are talented and creative and passionate about

All professions are needed, all professions are big (Marshak)
....:biggrin2::hail::laugh:

hey maddie ! ...people who study those stuff usually are from families that are too rich - and after they graduate , if they do, they dont look for jobs , they just join their parents in their companies - ....then they go do MBA at harvard or soe other top school , they flunk the maths part of mba but then they get to the top of companies, make a mess of it but then they get 200 million severence pay ( Carly F and many others too ) also trump declared bankruptcy 3 times in 6 years ...so no probs doing social gender sciences - can still have a great life, make a fool of the system and loot big time

Last edited:

Akim

Professional
Country flag
All professions are needed, all professions are big (Marshak)

pmaitra

You think Geography, History, Psychology, economics, anthropology are waste of education? Boy, you are sooooo dense!
There are scientific applications in all these subjects. Geography and anthropology are sciences. The rest are arts.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
hey maddie ! ...people who study those stuff usually are from families that are too rich - and after they graduate , if they do, they dont look for jobs , they just join their parents in their companies - ....then they go do MBA at harvard or soe other top school , they flunk the maths part of mba but then they get to the top of companies, make a mess of it but then they get 200 million severence pay ( Carly F and many others too ) also trump declared bankruptcy 3 times in 6 years ...so no probs doing social gender sciences - can still have a great life, make a fool of the system and loot big time
What you have said is a bit more polished than what I said but it is in essence the same- gender studies is useless as far as society is concerned

Dreamhunter

Country flag
Engineering is the hardest degree but it is worth it as it will guarantee you a great job.
This is also one of the reasons why I chose Engineering.

jouni

Unfortunately Indian education system suppress creativity. You are left with second rate engineers.

Dreamhunter

Country flag
Its true that engineering is one of the favourite careers of Indians but its not like that all Indian
parents want their children to become engineers. Many Indian parents prefer medicine to
engineering. Even in our family there are more doctors than engineers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles