Why does not Indian army use GPMGs?

India22

It will be good discussion if the topic is not closed or merged somewhere.

The problems generally pointed out is GPMGs often jam as they are belt-fed or box magazine fed and they overheat. Soldiers waste too much ammunition. I do think Indian army should change doctrine on section level and have following

8 Kalantak assault rifle(2 of them equipped with under barrel grenade launcher)
1 M110 Semi-automatic sniper system
1 Pecheneg Machine gun as GPMG
2 INSAS LMG as IAR
1 Carl Gustav.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
It will be good discussion if the topic is not closed or merged somewhere.

The problems generally pointed out is GPMGs often jam as they are belt-fed or box magazine fed and they overheat. Soldiers waste too much ammunition. I do think Indian army should change doctrine on section level and have following

8 Kalantak assault rifle(2 of them equipped with under barrel grenade launcher)
1 M110 Semi-automatic sniper system
1 Pecheneg Machine gun as GPMG
2 INSAS LMG as IAR
1 Carl Gustav.
A section consists of 10 men. How do you propose distributing the weapons you have mentioned?

India22

A section consists of 10 men. How do you propose distributing the weapons you have mentioned?
I thought I did.

8 Riflemen carrying Kalantak,
1 Carl Gustav carrier and firer
2 INSAS LMG gunners as automatic rifleman
1 Pecheneg gunner for suppressive fire
1 Sniper with M110

13 men section, 3 sections 1 platoon total 40 including lieutenant.
3 platoons, 1 Captain, another additional section of 10 men, as medic.
6 such action companies.
1 Support company consisting of 3 platoons+1 section of 10 men, 1 platoon manning MMGs(3 men per each MMG), 1 Platoon manning 120mm mortar(battalion level mortar)(3 man per each mortar), 1 platoon of long distance snipers. 10 men section is of medics.
1 Administrator company consisting 3 platoons 1 platoon is field engineers, 2 platoon of others and officers.

Additionally a single shot high velocity(at least 300 meter per second) 105mm anti-tank shoulder fired weapon with 1 or more precursor round and a single shot MANPAD will be used at officer's wish.

Additionally 2 company of support troops to carry ammunition, equipment.

India22

I already mentioned 13 men squad like USMC. Some people are quick to throw comments without even reading.

ghost

Thankfully @India22 is not a general else our jawans will look like this:

In a war a soldier has to be self sufficient,because sometimes re-supply may not arrive for days .A soldier carry different load as per different situation he is in.

For a light/short patrol and assault a soldier generally look like this:

Where he carries necessary ammunition,first aid and equipment.This ^^is lightweight in army terms.

When they are going for long patrols {days} or has to hold out in a place on their own , without any confirmed backup,they look like this:

Here they have to carry their food,extra ammunition,sleeping bag,and other necessary gear.They have to be self sufficient for days on their own.

This is how modern ruck-sack designed by DRDO for our soldier looks like:

It's war, not walk in the park,you need to survive beside fighting.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
I already mentioned 13 men squad like USMC. Some people are quick to throw comments without even reading.
So you want to change the entire organization of the Indian Army? Ok, that's a different matter and needs a separate dedicated thread.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
In a war a soldier has to be self sufficient,because sometimes re-supply may not arrive for days .A soldier carry different load as per different situation he is in.
The new methodology for logistics support being introduced in the US Army for LRPs......

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter

India22

I know that but question was why GPMG is not used?

@Mikesingh not necessarily, a 10 man section with 7 Kalantak, 1 M110 Semi-automatic Sniper System, 1 FN Minimi, 1 Carl Gustav will also do.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
@Mikesingh not necessarily, a 10 man section with 7 Kalantak, 1 M110 Semi-automatic Sniper System, 1 FN Minimi, 1 Carl Gustav will also do.
Agreed! :) And add one ‘SHMEL’ to a platoon. This deadly weapon has a thermobaric warhead that was used during the surgical strikes that vaporized not only the terrorists holed up in the building but the building too!

Shmel fires a ‘Thermobaric’ warhead which works by dispersing a highly flammable fuel vapor that sucks out oxygen from the surrounding area and then ignites it.

This would be an important addition in the present environ of COIN ops.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
The new methodology for logistics support being introduced in the US Army for LRPs......

This project is shelved by U.S. Army and Marine corps.

The 'Indi'genization is down to the core.

Global Defence

Articles