Why did Russia approve RD 93 engine sale for Pakistan's JF 17?

Quickgun Murugan

No, China hasn't had enough time and experience with the RD-93 to even be able to have a prototype built of WS-18 if that is what it is based on. That engine must still be in the design phase. I looked over the net and found nothing on actual WS-18 advancement.
Search for WS 13.

You are right. A Russian rejection of RD 93 would have only motivated them to divert more funds into WS 13 advancements just like how they diverted funds for KJ 2000 when Phalcon AWACS got out of equation.

Martian

Respected Member
You already know that the answer is no. America sells her old stuff for cash. Just ask the Taiwanese and their privilege of paying for eight Knox-class frigates. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knox_class_frigate Only Israel, Egypt, Pakistan, and maybe Turkey receive substantial equipment for free.

Vladimir79

Professional
Search for WS 13.

You are right. A Russian rejection of RD 93 would have only motivated them to divert more funds into WS 13 advancements just like how they diverted funds for KJ 2000 when Phalcon AWACS got out of equation.
Excuse me, I can't find anything on WS-13 advancement.

icecoolben

Once large scale transfer of the engines take place, it can be studied effectively and it actually boosts the ws-10 programme. Still the french supply the paks. we don't protest them. Just let the russians supply the engines. It will give us one more excuse to by more weapons from US and europe to counter there capabilities of pak at the cost of russian weapon systems.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
China has spent 40 years like to build fighter engines without success

Guys.....I posted a thread called " China's aircraft engine history is full of failures" yesterday. Not a single person responded to this post. It proves that that there is nothing to say about it anymore - its just the plain truth.

China attempts to produce an indigenous fighter aircraft engine despite 40 years of trying and TOT plus "manufacturing under license" has been full of failures.

There is a spreadsheet in my post that shows the number of cancelled projects and its simply amazing.

Overall after 40 years of trying, they are finally getting there with the WS-13....again it looks like this engine is RD-93 copy but even then they are having problems with it.

I think the Russians were kinda forced to sell the RD-93 so that the Chinese will not be embarrassed by their 40 year history of failures !!!

Basically the Pakistanis would not have accepted the JF-17 with an underpowered WS-13 engine.....so it was probably the Russians just helping the Chinese to "save face".

bhramos

Country flag
Once large scale transfer of the engines take place, it can be studied effectively and it actually boosts the ws-10 programme. Still the french supply the paks. we don't protest them. Just let the russians supply the engines. It will give us one more excuse to by more weapons from US and europe to counter there capabilities of pak at the cost of russian weapon systems.
yeah u r right we dont protest the french,
but what about US, they were giving their stuff for free.

icecoolben

Russia would suffer as we turn west

yeah u r right we dont protest the french,
but what about US, they were giving their stuff for free.
i mad that point just to irk hard russian loyalists. Infact i'm quite contempt with india persuing russian weapons. But still accepting all russian actions without protest is disturbing. We should find some footing where we are equally strategic partners to moscow. Indian government should find hard spots where russia actively persues indian assistance direly and adopt it as a string against moscow.

qilaotou

Russians knew that JF-17 was a commercial project in the beginning. The terms of the engine contract might have not considered the India factor either by Russians or Chinese.

The engine sale to Pak might serve as a signal to India. If India buys more non-Russian equipments Russia could as well diversify its export customers.

Vladimir79

Professional
Russians knew that JF-17 was a commercial project in the beginning. The terms of the engine contract might have not considered the India factor either by Russians or Chinese.

The engine sale to Pak might serve as a signal to India. If India buys more non-Russian equipments Russia could as well diversify its export customers.
The sale of RD-93 served one purpose, the saturation of Russian engines into Chinese markets. Considering China herself isn't buying the FC-1, I think it is fair to say it is no danger to Indian interest. On a side note, if China doesn't buy it, I don't think this deal is going to pan out much for us either. Pakistan is too broke to be buying many planes.

qilaotou

The sale of RD-93 served one purpose, the saturation of Russian engines into Chinese markets. Considering China herself isn't buying the FC-1, I think it is fair to say it is no danger to Indian interest. On a side note, if China doesn't buy it, I don't think this deal is going to pan out much for us either. Pakistan is too broke to be buying many planes.
There was an unconfirmed news that China has ordered 500 pieces of RD93. Russia cleared a list of six countries for future sales of FC-1.

China is obliged to induct 150 planes according to the deal with Paks. PLAAF is working on a prototype that might be deployed to replace Q5s.

enlightened1

Member of The Month JANUARY 2010
Guys here's something to chew on:

Broadsword said:
"Here are the Chinese examples of Russian TOT being absorbed and reverse engineered.
* RD93 reverse engineered to WS-13 for powering JF-17
* AL31F engines reverse engineered as WS10A to power f-10."

Just to let you know, Karupaswamy, the Chinese have done a piss-poor job of reverse engineering the RD-93. Here's what a senior (and I mean SENIOR) serving air marshall had to tell me: "All I'll say is that we're really glad the Pakis will be flying the JF-17 with the Chinese engines".

Ajai Shukla's Broadsword

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles