Why can't DRDO develop a reliable Assault Rifle?

Anandsuren

This is frustration drowning me for long time now. DRDO developed Agni 5 and some missiles with highly sophisticated navigation systems, i agree. But why can't they develop a reliable Assault Rifle? Still our soldiers are using AK47s and outdated INSAS rifles.There were tenders for foreign made AR and suddenly some interview by Saraswath about developing multi-caliber gun. Is DRDO good for only mouth bragging?

I may sound ignorant, I mean even i know basic mechanisms and other such stuffs in developing a AR and maybe with some good training for 1 year any engineer with good vision will come up with a decent gun. So what's with DRDO?

- Incapable of producing small arms
- Not much importance given for producing small arms?
- Else is it because of dealers who are out playing DRDO in all corners with help of corrupt politicians?

Is DRDO really working on multi-caliber guns or army will procure foreign guns with the push of arms dealers trying to make some money out of this?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
@anand are you aware about Indian army doctrine and gsqr for its rifle? At least basic thing which IA RIFLE should do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
A better question would be how many of the nations best brain strive to make a career in DRDO???

SPIEZ

Country flag
What's with checking out SA80 and M16?
Don't think DRDO is a failure over a lakh of these rifles were sold, tthey were also exported to foreign countries too.

FYI, major gun developers also had failures.
SA80 the main stay of British army also had failures. But they worked on it.
M16 was known for failures, but still it remains as the main rifle for US Army.

That's why I asked you to check about these rifles.

pmaitra

"Why can't DRDO develop a reliable Assault Rifle?"

The premise of the question is that DRDO cannot develop reliable rifles. The question is, is it true that DRDO cannot develop reliable rifles?

Last edited:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
If DRDO cant create an environment of a tempting dream job type of an atmosphere you usually don't attract those pupil who strive for excellence in career and life, what you get is average (well more then average for researcher/scientist) joe who dream for a job in the secured government sector covering medical bills and children policies, not those who will try to the limits to strive for excellence in career especially in a place where you may be time bound and seniority basis policies to move up in life. A person with high (excellent) caliber may not require a government salary to strive in this world but he will demand scope and opportunity to move up in his trade from a prospective job,

can DRDO provide such a platform where able and qualified people can seek a career to move up in life?

This is not a direct answer to the above mentioned question but I believe it an important subject matter to discuss when ability of DRDO is in question.

Reactions: uss

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
And for state of the art, advanced R&D we require people who try to the limits of the newton law.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
"Why can't DRDO develop a reliable Assault Rifle?"

The premise of the question is that DRDO cannot develop reliable rifles. The question is, is it true that DRDO cannot develop unreliable rifles?
Unreliable or reliable? (the bold part)

Anandsuren

So anyone has any idea about this new dream by DRDO to develop a Multi-caliber AR?
I will be happy if they can come up with one but will/can they do it? :tsk:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
A better question would be how many of the nations best brain strive to make a career in DRDO???
Discounting the IITs a lot of folks appear for exams such as DRDO. The problem is not whether good minds enter DRDO, it's what they do after joining. The pay is about okay, around 7-8 lac p.a. just like other PSUs.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Copter with Lt Gen crashes; focus back on aging fleet

Previous defence minister A K Antony had kept the decision on the project — the global tender for which was floated in 2008 — dangling since extensive field trials between Russian Kamov-226T and Eurocopter AS 550 C3 Fennec were completed in December 2010.

HAL, too, is nowhere near delivering the 187 similar light helicopters it was supposed to make "within 60 months" when its project was sanctioned by the Cabinet Committee on Security in February 2009.

The Cheetah/Chetak fleets are facing recurring defects and premature failures due to "scarcity of critical rotables". "The foreign manufacturers have closed down their assembly lines for spares," said an officer.
Copter with Lt Gen crashes; focus back on aging fleet - The Times of India
That should indicate why such a less complicated issue like an Assault Rifle is floundering.

Compersion

Country flag
DRDO needs to have competition. Call it DROD1 and DRDO2 and DRDO3 but there needs to be competition.

In fact get the outgoing DRDO chief to head the (new) competing organisation. All proposals like the above be given to the "competing" DRDOs and the winner takes the bag. Like in some countries the buyer also compensates the losing bids but the winner takes the gold.

having a single government organisation to build (monopolist) one product needs to be moved away. one need not to give it all to private also. the private can be also invovled. but it is better to privatize the state government machinery (PSU 0 list on stock exchange for example).

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
This is frustration drowning me for long time now. DRDO developed Agni 5 and some missiles with highly sophisticated navigation systems, i agree. But why can't they develop a reliable Assault Rifle? Still our soldiers are using AK47s and outdated INSAS rifles.There were tenders for foreign made AR and suddenly some interview by Saraswath about developing multi-caliber gun. Is DRDO good for only mouth bragging?

I may sound ignorant, I mean even i know basic mechanisms and other such stuffs in developing a AR and maybe with some good training for 1 year any engineer with good vision will come up with a decent gun. So what's with DRDO?

- Else is it because of dealers who are out playing DRDO in all corners with help of corrupt politicians?

Is DRDO really working on multi-caliber guns or army will procure foreign guns with the push of arms dealers trying to make some money out of this?
Sir there are many projects pending ....let them complete first or get nice assault rifle from isreal and reverse engineer it.But sure do some changes in size,weight etc

Blu

also check for mciws (Multi Caliber Individual Weapon System)

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I don't know why people keep making the same mistake over and over again.

All guns, .22mm to 155mm are the domain of OFB, not DRDO.

DRDO doesn't make or design guns.

DRDO was requested to help by OFB, and the result is JVPC & MCIWS.

All previous guns were made and developed by OFB, with DRDO strictly as a consultant when specifically requested.

AR, Carbines, Sidearm, LMG, HMG, SAW, medium calibre guns (20mm-40mm), Large calibre guns (105mm-155mm), etc. all fall under the purview of OFB.

And yes, OFB R&D sucks big time!

To blame DRDO for OFB failures is ignorant & pathetic!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles