Why can't DRDO develop a reliable Assault Rifle?

Discussion in 'Defence & Strategic Issues' started by Anandsuren, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Anandsuren

Anandsuren New Member

This is frustration drowning me for long time now. DRDO developed Agni 5 and some missiles with highly sophisticated navigation systems, i agree. But why can't they develop a reliable Assault Rifle? Still our soldiers are using AK47s and outdated INSAS rifles.There were tenders for foreign made AR and suddenly some interview by Saraswath about developing multi-caliber gun. Is DRDO good for only mouth bragging?

I may sound ignorant, I mean even i know basic mechanisms and other such stuffs in developing a AR and maybe with some good training for 1 year any engineer with good vision will come up with a decent gun. So what's with DRDO?

- Incapable of producing small arms
    - Not much importance given for producing small arms?
    - Else is it because of dealers who are out playing DRDO in all corners with help of corrupt politicians?

Is DRDO really working on multi-caliber guns or army will procure foreign guns with the push of arms dealers trying to make some money out of this?

maomao and Known_Unknown like this.
  3. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

4. Anandsuren

Anandsuren New Member

5. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

@anand are you aware about Indian army doctrine and gsqr for its rifle? At least basic thing which IA RIFLE should do?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  6. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

A better question would be how many of the nations best brain strive to make a career in DRDO???

7. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

Don't think DRDO is a failure over a lakh of these rifles were sold, tthey were also exported to foreign countries too.

FYI, major gun developers also had failures.
    SA80 the main stay of British army also had failures. But they worked on it.
    M16 was known for failures, but still it remains as the main rifle for US Army.

That's why I asked you to check about these rifles.

8. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

"Why can't DRDO develop a reliable Assault Rifle?"

The premise of the question is that DRDO cannot develop reliable rifles. The question is, is it true that DRDO cannot develop reliable rifles?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  9. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

If DRDO cant create an environment of a tempting dream job type of an atmosphere you usually don't attract those pupil who strive for excellence in career and life, what you get is average (well more then average for researcher/scientist) joe who dream for a job in the secured government sector covering medical bills and children policies, not those who will try to the limits to strive for excellence in career especially in a place where you may be time bound and seniority basis policies to move up in life. A person with high (excellent) caliber may not require a government salary to strive in this world but he will demand scope and opportunity to move up in his trade from a prospective job,

can DRDO provide such a platform where able and qualified people can seek a career to move up in life?

This is not a direct answer to the above mentioned question but I believe it an important subject matter to discuss when ability of DRDO is in question.

uss likes this.
  10. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

And for state of the art, advanced R&D we require people who try to the limits of the newton law.

11. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

Unreliable or reliable? (the bold part)

pmaitra likes this.
  12. Anandsuren

Anandsuren New Member

So anyone has any idea about this new dream by DRDO to develop a Multi-caliber AR?
    I will be happy if they can come up with one but will/can they do it? :tsk:

13. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Thanks for the correction. I have amended my post.

maomao likes this.
  14. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Discounting the IITs a lot of folks appear for exams such as DRDO. The problem is not whether good minds enter DRDO, it's what they do after joining. The pay is about okay, around 7-8 lac p.a. just like other PSUs.

15. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

That should indicate why such a less complicated issue like an Assault Rifle is floundering.

16. Compersion

Compersion Senior Member Senior Member

DRDO needs to have competition. Call it DROD1 and DRDO2 and DRDO3 but there needs to be competition.

In fact get the outgoing DRDO chief to head the (new) competing organisation. All proposals like the above be given to the "competing" DRDOs and the winner takes the bag. Like in some countries the buyer also compensates the losing bids but the winner takes the gold.

having a single government organisation to build (monopolist) one product needs to be moved away. one need not to give it all to private also. the private can be also invovled. but it is better to privatize the state government machinery (PSU 0 list on stock exchange for example).

17. SREEKAR

SREEKAR Senior Member Senior Member

Sir there are many projects pending ....let them complete first or get nice assault rifle from isreal and reverse engineer it.But sure do some changes in size,weight etc

18. Blu

Blu Regular Member

also check for mciws (Multi Caliber Individual Weapon System)

19. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

I don't know why people keep making the same mistake over and over again.

All guns, .22mm to 155mm are the domain of OFB, not DRDO.

DRDO doesn't make or design guns.

DRDO was requested to help by OFB, and the result is JVPC & MCIWS.

All previous guns were made and developed by OFB, with DRDO strictly as a consultant when specifically requested.

AR, Carbines, Sidearm, LMG, HMG, SAW, medium calibre guns (20mm-40mm), Large calibre guns (105mm-155mm), etc. all fall under the purview of OFB.

And yes, OFB R&D sucks big time!

To blame DRDO for OFB failures is ignorant & pathetic!

Illusive likes this.