Why cant Bollywood make good action movies like Hollywood?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Yes you are correct. I have tried to explain this to some of my friends. Their response is that they are aware of this, they are waiting for more corporates come into film industry. Currently majority of the movie production houses are family owned not owned by corporates. Family production houses will not want to spend even 50 million usd on one movie. They will be willing to spend the same 50 million on 3-4 movies to spread out the risk. From last 5 years Hollywood production houses have set up shop in india and making good movies. If you want to form an idea on current standards on indian film making you can watch a movie called magadheera a Telugu movie , Telugu is a South Indian language. You can fast forward songs in the movie if you want.

Be it may that "crouching tiger hidden dragon" is a fantastic movie, I think it was made with a purpose of making China a house hold name. Release year of the movie coincides with rise of China which is early 2000's. Anything thing related to China is never a coincidence, every thing they do is a buildup to something.

vishwa

Most people in the indian film industry nowadays are cheap attention seekers who make films so that they can touch the well chiseled bodies of attractive film actors and models.

See the likes of Vishal Bharadwaj, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra , niranjan iyengar, Karan Johar etc. Just see Vishal Bharadwaj interaction with audience on NDTV where he appears so feminine and psycho who is visibly aware of his ugly out of shape body and face. Only such psychos will make a apologist movie for Islamist terrorists in Kashmir like Haider.

Most film people have no character and no loyalties and they will stoop to any level for either money or fame or both. These are at best described as cheap attention seekers who will pass judgements on the sacrifices of others for a good cause. Most of them are very aware of their apparent lack of sex appeal and hence they make films so that they can get in touch with attractive people as otherwise nobody would even spit on their faces.

This is the bitter truth which we do not want to acknowledge.

Contrast cheap modern films with old classics like Mandi, old Umrao Jaan, old Mirch Masala, old Golmaal, Manthan, Utsav, Utpal Dutt movies, etc.

Nothing can beat old Indian classics like these and many which are even better than these but I cannot remember their titles now.

vishwa

You Indians need your own "crouching tiger hidden dragon" movie. Before that we knew nothing about ancient China now we love their history and culture.
See the movie THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL and read the reviews on internet about this movie on this site imdb and other sites. You will see fabulous beautiful India like never before.

it is not without reason when Mark Twain famously said about India

Mark Twain --- So far as I am able to judge, nothing has been left undone, either by man or nature, to make India the most extraordinary country that the sun visits on his rounds. Nothing seems to have been forgotten, nothing overlooked.

This movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel will show you the side of India from a foreign perspective.

India has the most magnificent palaces, homes, streets, old heritage hotels and above all unbeatable natural settings even in the most dry hot place like Rajasthan.

Just read the reviews on this site about any affordable Indian hotel or place or life in India and for very luxury hotels like this. There are 1000s of the most exotic heritage homes-palaces in India which are now used as hotels.
but see these gems and read the user reviews from foreign users:

tripadvisor - Taj_Lake_Palace_Udaipur-Rajasthan
Taj Rambagh Palace Jaipur
Umed Bhuvan Palace Jodhpur
houseboats hotels in Kerala, Darjeeling, Kolkota like Oberoi Grand, Taj Bengal, etc., Goa, and even obscure remote places like Sawai Madhopur, Samode palace, etc.

Last edited:

jouni

Yes you are correct. I have tried to explain this to some of my friends. Their response is that they are aware of this, they are waiting for more corporates come into film industry. Currently majority of the movie production houses are family owned not owned by corporates. Family production houses will not want to spend even 50 million usd on one movie. They will be willing to spend the same 50 million on 3-4 movies to spread out the risk. From last 5 years Hollywood production houses have set up shop in india and making good movies. If you want to form an idea on current standards on indian film making you can watch a movie called magadheera a Telugu movie , Telugu is a South Indian language. You can fast forward songs in the movie if you want.

Be it may that "crouching tiger hidden dragon" is a fantastic movie, I think it was made with a purpose of making China a house hold name. Release year of the movie coincides with rise of China which is early 2000's. Anything thing related to China is never a coincidence, every thing they do is a buildup to something.
Its budget was 15 000 000 $. It is not about money, it is about vision and talent. Chinese movies that came after it was much more expensive and much worse. Also Ang Lee is american-taiwanese. Maybe it was labour of love for old China.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Its budget was 15 000 000 $. It is not about money, it is about vision and talent. Chinese movies that came after it was much more expensive and much worse. Also Ang Lee is american-taiwanese. Maybe it was labour of love for old China.
Vision and talent for sure, Vision and talent has to be backed by money.

jouni

See the movie THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL and read the reviews on internet about this movie on this site imdb and other sites. You will see fabulous beautiful India like never before.

it is not without reason when Mark Twain famously said about India

Mark Twain --- So far as I am able to judge, nothing has been left undone, either by man or nature, to make India the most extraordinary country that the sun visits on his rounds. Nothing seems to have been forgotten, nothing overlooked.

This movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel will show you the side of India from a foreign perspective.

India has the most magnificent palaces, homes, streets, old heritage hotels and above all unbeatable natural settings even in the most dry hot place like Rajasthan.

Just read the reviews on this site about any affordable Indian hotel or place or life in India and for very luxury hotels like this. There are 1000s of the most exotic heritage homes-palaces in India which are now used as hotels.
but see these gems and read the user reviews from foreign users:

tripadvisor - Taj_Lake_Palace_Udaipur-Rajasthan
Taj Rambagh Palace Jaipur
Umed Bhuvan Palace Jodhpur
houseboats hotels in Kerala, Darjeeling, Kolkota like Oberoi Grand, Taj Bengal, etc., Goa, and even obscure remote places like Sawai Madhopur, Samode palace, etc.
These are magnificient places, shame that India has not been able to shape its image around them. Instead all problems get the headlines in Europe.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
These are magnificient places, shame that India has not been able to shape its image around them. Instead all problems get the headlines in Europe.
All in good time my friend, all in good time.

ladder

Country flag
Press is hardly what we care. It's always good to the see people arrive in India and their stereotype shatter like a mirror that slipped from one's hand. And I have seen many who say something like, India is dirty, chaotic and unsafe but I kind of liked it. I knew the reason for which I wouldn't like India, even before I stepped foot here. But, as I am going back, I am hardly able to put in words what exactly I liked about India.

The tangible world that Europeans are so accustomed to goes for a toss with the healthy does of spirituality ingrained into each and every daily activity especially in the country side.
Also what takes visitors by surprise is the juxtapositioning of the tradition with modernity.

One traveller standing on a particular hillock overlooking the majestic Gangetic plains below where he saw lush green paddy field and a farmer going about his business in traditional fashion, in the state of Bihar, opined that 'Lord Buddha travelling through this country 2500 years back must have been greeted to the same vista'. His guide replied in affirmative but added, 'except for the high tension electric line running through the field'.

So, what I am trying to say, India has lot to offer, but for that you need to know what India is, and in order to do that, you have to overlook many things ( especially some tangible ones), just like the traveller above.

It's not for nothing that some wise man has said, one life is not enough to know India.

If you apply western standard, you will always find India deficient, but once you arrive in India, you shall be left questioning yourself, should I apply the western standard to gauge India in the first place?

Last edited:

liamcolemax

The Bollywood movie industry is by far one of the largest film industries in the world and making the movies with different contents in their field. Action movies play a crucial role, and some of the action movies contain certain elements that make it great. It's a big task to make such movies too.

New Movie Release

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Majority population in India loves to watch simple love stories.
They can't make something to appease a minority population.
There is a reason why plenty of European loves to watch bolly movies.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
"Itne paise mein itnaich milenga"

Loosely translated as if we want more Hollywoodish movies our producers will have to spend more, this in turn will not be financially viable because most of the population that watches movies does so after paying only about a dollar as the Ticket Rate. Low Rates=Low Income=Lower grade movies!

I_PLAY_BAD

You Indians need your own "crouching tiger hidden dragon" movie. Before that we knew nothing about ancient China now we love their history and culture.
My dear friend,
Crouching Tiger , Hidden Dragon is an hollywood influenced chinese film set on the backdrop of Chinese history and culture. In ancient china people cannot walk on waters and fly between trees. So please do not take the movie as a proper depiction of Chinese culture.

I_PLAY_BAD

We cannot compete with Hollywood and Chinese movies because we have a very diversified Film industry. Hardly few movies are release with pan-India appeal where it is one single market throughout the country for Hollywood and the Chinese.
Those who think Bollywood is the only major film industry in India then they are ignorant. Bollywood only has market and money, nothing else and the quality of movies released in Bollywood has drastically fallen. Whereas you can find other good profit making industries in India like Kollywood (Tamil) and Tollywood (Telugu) inspite of limited market and budgets.
If you compare with quality of movies then currently Kollywood (Tamil) and Mollywood (Malayalam) produce better films in all of India. Bollywood is nowhere near south-indian films in quality.

Dreamhunter

Country flag
Several great historical movies were already produced in this year like these ones

jouni

You need to bring some international talent to direct. Technically your movies are ok. Storytelling etc is the problem. It took Hollywood genious Ang Lee to make HDGT work.

I_PLAY_BAD

You need to bring some international talent to direct. Technically your movies are ok. Storytelling etc is the problem. It took Hollywood genious Ang Lee to make HDGT work.
If you look at Bollywood alone you would conclude like this only.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles