Why Bollywood's film about Hitler is profoundly misguided

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Iamanidiot, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Gentleman see the comments to the article and do some droppings there

now forum members opinion on Hitler

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2010/jun/11/bollywood-film-hitler?showallcomments=true#comment-51

3. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Those who know history know very well how much Hitler helped Subhash Ch. Bose or the Ajad Hind Fouj in those days. Having said that, I would also not agree to historians of US, UK, EU either. They hated jews like anything during WWII. And now this coming from a UK tabloid makes me obnoxious as ever.

4. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

why not rewrite NCERT history books.Its been 60+ years we are still following british written history of india from the likes of max Mueller to romila thapar.

5. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

This is the result of an education system that focuses very less on world history. I got my schooling under ICSE syllabus, but when I went through state-syllabus and CBSE history text books, I was surprised to see how little world-history was taught, and how state, national history, and freedom struggle overshadowed everything else.

That, coupled with how hard our scriptwriters suck (because they too are products of this education system). A text book example of how narrow-minded our filmmakers are with historic-subjects is the Shahrukh-starrer Ashoka. That film should have done much more service to the great emperor, instead it left out 90% of his history, made up a fake story about his romance with Kalinga's princess (played by Kareena), and stuck to the formulae.

This Hitler film is going to once again embarass Indian filmmaking. This time the world will laugh.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  6. tarunraju

Hitler's posture was simply to needle Britain, because it was in Nazi Germany's interests that Britain not make up for falling numbers in its formal army during war with millions of "enlisted" soldiers forced out of its colonies, importantly India. It so happened that India's freedom movement was in full-swing during and throughout WWII. It was hence in Nazi Germany's interests to air extremism in British colonies.

Only anarchist followers of Bose would try to patronize Hitler. India owes NOTHING to Hitler or Nazi party.

7. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

Neha Dhupia as Eva Braun... Eva was plain to ugly looking. Neha can't portray that.

8. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

I am a follower of Netaji and i would like to clear the fact that Nataji was helped by Hitler to established Azad Hind Fauj under a common goal that was to bleed Brits and kick them out of India For NAZIs it was a golden opportunity And for us the best armed struggle can be imagined And the strategy made with Japanese worked nicely, resulting the capture of imphal, Brits were bleed hard and force to retreat temporally but as the Japan surrendered the Army had to retreat as they were short of supplys soon Azad Hind Fauj was vanished for good..

Still today we find the footprint of Azad Hind in Indian Army ' JAI HIND' ..

9. tarunraju

Let me make it clear that I did not label every Bose ideologue anarchist. It's just that the older generation interprets his ideology and remembers him in quite a different way than the younger generation. For these people, Bose is more of an excuse away from the existing structure, it believes that the present mode of government is "bad" and "evil" because "it got Bose killed". Yes, some of their words can be this ridiculous.

On topic, whichever way you look at it, Nazi support for our freedom movement was far from constructive, and was merely to needle Britain. There are no grounds to be grateful to Hitler.

10. AJSINGH

AJSINGH Senior Member Senior Member

at least thank him for that , it was only logical for Bose to go to hitler for help ,i am sure bose would not agree with what Hitler was doing to jews

Kunal Biswas and Oracle like this.
  11. tarunraju

No. Neither did his support make a tangible difference to INA, nor did INA make to the freedom movement.

Do you even realise the consequences of patronizing Hitler? How much India's international image as a peaceful Gandhian country will take a beating? A lot of work our government has done, all the sacrifices it made to build that image will be undone. Neither you nor that movie's producer cares.

12. AJSINGH

actually it did , actually japneese help , anyways INA was big boost for independence , they even flew indian flag in kohima ( indian territory ) about patronzinig hitler ,well that was our only choice , britishers were our enemy too , the indian peace image was eventually destroyed when we tested our nuclear weapons ,plus his own theory about non violence has failed in evry part of the world , including in India

Oracle likes this.
  13. tarunraju

No, INA did not provide that boost, circumstances did. Britain was at war, and such posturing was very much the order of the day. Hitler would gas-chamber every Indian if things went his way.

And your views on India's international image shows your immaturity. The world continues to see India as a peaceful Gandhian country. If we "like" Hitler for whatever reason, the world won't like us for doing so, certainly not present-day Germany.

14. AJSINGH

well if you say INA has no effect that you are upsetting a lot of people here on DFI , i am not gona argue on INA , fellow members here will prove you wrong . Who says India like hitler , we are only saying that he has given us help and there it ends ,plus like i said bose would not have agreed with hitler on what he was doing with jews but then that was not our problem , we needed independence then we had to befriend Hitler ( like USA did,friends with stalin to defeat another genocidal maniac,hitler )
    Bose did a lot for the country that you will ever know
    If india does follow non violence policy then tell us why we have nuclear weapons ,surely if gandhi was living he wont have allowed ,let alone fight china in 1965 war
    if you can prove me wrong then go ahead

Oracle likes this.
  15. tarunraju

Please read more, kid. Hitler's "help" was not genuine, and was merely to needle Britain. It wasn't in India's interests, either. And you end up upsetting way more people here on DFI, if you're condescending Gandhi and his idea of non-violence.

Today's world will NOT take kindly to India liking, being thankful, or approving of Hitler in ANY way.

16. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Please stop living on assumptions. INA boosted India's freedom struggle. Period. If you do not agree, re-read history again. And yes, circumstances made Netaji get support from a mass murderer, however Netaji did not have much to do then. Germany was against the allied forces and so did Netaji. Enemy's enemy is a friend, no?

This has nothing to do with Hitler or supporting him. This is simple acknowledgement of Netaji and his INA in out freedom struggle.

17. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Tarun, maybe Hitler's help was not genuine. I do not care. We got help from Hitler is all I care. There was no one to turn to those days for Netaji, no? Even if that was to needle Britain.

18. AJSINGH

whatever hitler help was , even if needle , we needed it desperately , and it was because of Hitler orders that Japs gave help to INA , it was in India effort to fight British ,weather Gandhi way or Bose method . Who said that India aporves of hitler , read again kid. We recieved whatever help from hitler and thats it,and it was war , havent you herd this saying " everything is fair in love and war" ,thats what Bose did and USA did .
    you still did not explain why we the land of gandhi have nuclear weapons , i my full knowledge Gandhi wont have allowed us nuclear weapons or fight china

Oracle likes this.
  19. tarunraju

Yeah, patronize that fake posturing by Nazi Germany as help, and be thankful to Hitler, see how that flies with the world.

You will have to care, because that is what will make the difference between labeling Indians Gandhians and Neo-Nazis. People of Europe and America (who are prime investors in Indian economy) certainly won't take kindly to this.

Once again, Europeans and Americans are not going to look at your gratitude for Hitler from your perspective, they'll use theirs, and label you a neo-Nazi.

20. Oracle

Oracle New Member

I am not patronizing Hitler or Germany Tarun. Stop twisting my words to suit your mind.

We got some help and we should acknowledge it, that's it. Hitler is still a mass murderer, irrespective of he helped INA or not.

And (LMAO), it is a film, when did a film (creativity) push away investors. You are reading too much, too soon.

Atleast you already did, starting from your first post. And it's sad.

AkhandBharat likes this.
  21. AJSINGH

Once again ,India does not approve of Hitler or his activities ,british knows that bose got help from hitler,it did not affect the present relations did it ? Most historian know this fact that bose came to germany to meet hitler but has the relations sour with India ,Israel knows that Bose got help from Hitler but it is not protesting ,

Oracle likes this.