Why are so many Indians ignorant about the demographics of J&K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I assumed you were as fair skinned as you claim, and then I have relatives darker and fairer than you.
As I see it it is not fair or dark in complexion that bothers me.

It is the fairness in dealings is what I not is paramount.

However, one must guard against the black sheep who maybe fair in complexion.

And there are many dark horses who are fair in dealing even though dark in complexion!

Kashmiri girls are prettier than Jammu girls, and Punjabi girls too. If that makes you happy.
Prettiness is not material. Bathing is important.

Last edited:

Tronic

@atheisthindu @Tronic @Ray

Height: Minimum height of candidates falling in the categories of Garhwalis, Kumaonis, Gorkhas, Dogras, Marathas and candidates belonging to the States of Sikkim, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Tripura, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Kashmir and Leh & Ladakh regions of J&K will be 165 cms for male and 155 cms for females.
The minimum height for all candidates belonging to Scheduled Tribes will be 162.5 cms for males and 150 cms for females.

Chest: The minimum chest of male candidates falling in the categorist of Garhwalis, Kumaonis, Gorkhas, Dogras, Marathas and candidates belonging to the States of Sikkim, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Tripura, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Kashmir and Leh & Ladakh regions of J&K will be 78 cms (minimum 5 cms expansion).
Central Reserve Police Force

This is from crpf

WHAT IS DOGRA CERTIFICATE?:
As per senior retired army officer Lt Gen J S Jamwal, the history of Dogra certificate dates back to British Raj. "As regards Dogra certificate controversy, an issue was made out of non-issue because Dogra certificate does not mean anything. It only means to get relaxation in chest and height. That was simply a proof of being Dogras, who would constitute the people from entire Jammu region irrespective of their religion. Why Dogras would get this relaxation – has the simple answer. Dogras, the inhabitants of Duggar or Dwigar belt, as compared to other well-built martial races viz., Pathans, people from Punjab and other regions of India were shorter in height. Because of this they would suffer in enrolment despite being categorized as martial race," Lt Gen Jamwal explains.
According to him, this concession against the certificate was available for all ranks in the army and is still in vogue for laid down communities including Dogras.

Dogra certificate row: Oscillating between ignorance, confusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
lol... I already knew this.. One very, very fine chap I met in my uncle's unit is a Dogra (speaks Kangri) and he seemed to me as if he was shorter than requirement in height. I always wondered how he got into the army.. Than again, I'm 6'2", so sometimes even average Indian heights seem small to me, but I asked around and found out that there was infact a lower height requirement for 'Pahari' people. I just didn't want to argue about the "fainess and tallness" of Dogras with atheisthindu over this, that's why I didn't bring it up, lol..

But to placate atheisthindu... maybe it was just the fact that he was from Kangra; so maybe Jammu Dogras are taller than Kangra Dogras... I don't know..

I read a book once, a British compilation on the "martial races" and found that they actually listed the Pathans as shorter and stocky compared to Punjabis.. And than I also read somewhere that Pathan physical traits actually vary depending on the tribe they belong to... maybe there's something similar with the Dogras... :noidea:

Last edited by a moderator:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
As I see it it is not fair or dark in complexion that bothers me.

It is the fairness in dealings is what I not is paramount.

However, one must guard against the black sheep who maybe fair in complexion.

And there are many dark horses who are fair in dealing even though dark in complexion!

Prettiness is not material. Bathing is important.
Compatibility is most important. And generally, Kashmiris girls are fine as long as they don't open their mouth.

nrupatunga

@atheisthindu et al
WRT JnK demographics, after the seat delimitation process, has the jammu region got more seats?? Or still K region is dominant??

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
LMAOOOO funniest thread ever. Bunch of punjabis arguing if dogras are shorter than punjabis or not. It's not like Punjab is a different country you know. I go there all the time. Never noticed a significant difference in the average height. I'm stil taller than most guys. I am only 6'0". Goddamn punjabi supremacists are the funniest people I've ever seen.

Last edited:

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Compatibility is most important. And generally, Kashmiris girls are fine as long as they don't open their mouth.

@Singh, since you love kashmiri girls so much, listen to this kashmiri song :lol:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
LMAOOOO funniest thread ever. Bunch of punjabis arguing if dogras are shorter than punjabis or not. It's not like Punjab is a different country you know. I go there all the time. Never noticed a significant difference in the average height. I'm stil taller than most guys. I am only 6'0". Goddamn punjabi supremacists are the funniest people I've ever seen.
You have established that Punjabis are
1. Racist
2. Supremacists
3. Dark
4. Partial towards fair skinned
5. And not taller than Dogras

That is all fine, and that is your perception and you are welcome to it. I wont argue against it, and perhaps its true.

And You have established that I am also an anti-dogra punjabi supremacist.

But then why are you against facts and discussing about the demographics of your region ?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@Singh, since you love kashmiri girls so much, listen to this kashmiri song :lol:

I don't love kashmiri girls but kashmiri girls are very pretty certainly prettier than dogra and even punjabi girls. Why would I stop claiming that no matter what Kashmiris say about my community or country ?

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
lol... I already knew this.. One very, very fine chap I met in my uncle's unit is a Dogra (speaks Kangri) and he seemed to me as if he was shorter than requirement in height. I always wondered how he got into the army.. Than again, I'm 6'2", so sometimes even average Indian heights seem small to me, but I asked around and found out that there was infact a lower height requirement for 'Pahari' people. I just didn't want to argue about the "fainess and tallness" of Dogras with atheisthindu over this, that's why I didn't bring it up, lol..

But to placate atheisthindu... maybe it was just the fact that he was from Kangra; so maybe Jammu Dogras are taller than Kangra Dogras... I don't know..

I read a book once, a British compilation on the "martial races" and found that they actually listed the Pathans as shorter and stocky compared to Punjabis.. And than I also read somewhere that Pathan physical traits actually vary depending on the tribe they belong to... maybe there's something similar with the Dogras... :noidea:
I'm not sure about that. WHat I've noticed is that Kangra Dogras are shorter than Jammu Dogras. In Jammu, we have mixed with practically everyone from neighbouring regions. A lot of Dogras regularly marry into ethnic groups such as Kishtwaris, Poonchis, Kashmiri Pandits, Ladakhis, Baltis, Himachalis, Punjabis and even Mirpuri Hindus. Back in the day, many dogras were polygamous. As a matter of fact, my great grand father had 2 wives, one from northern Jammu and Gilgit Baltistan, where he used to work. Even some of my relatives have a central asian Kazakh like appearance probably due to mixture with Ladakhis. Because of the huge diversity of this area, you can't generalize Dogras. ON the other hand, Kashmiris are a much more homogenous group.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
You have established that Punjabis are
1. Racist
2. Supremacists
3. Dark
4. Partial towards fair skinned
5. And not taller than Dogras

That is all fine, and that is your perception and you are welcome to it. I wont argue against it, and perhaps its true.

And You have established that I am also an anti-dogra punjabi supremacist.

But then why are you against facts and discussing about the demographics of your region ?

Don't take it seriously. I don't care. I think this thread is hilarious.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
@Singh, I did laugh at the part about blonde punjabis though, no offence, but wtf :lol: Blonde Punjabi??? Is such a thing even possible?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@Singh, I did laugh at the part about blonde punjabis though, no offence, but wtf :lol: Blonde Punjabi??? Is such a thing even possible?
Evidently. I would say the hair are more blondish than blackish, it it helps you digest this fact ? .Although, he gets his beard and hair dyed dark because people think he has lightened his hair :rofl:

Look at Priyanka Chopra, Ajay Devgun, Shiney Ahuja, and Neil Nitin Mukesh all four are Punjabis.

Most babies are born with very light hair and most outgrow it. Some Indian tribal communities have light hair and eyes but dark skin.

==
You can easily find out if you are Caucasian or Indian by doing the sun test. If your skin gets tanned then you have most likely Indian origin, if it doesn't get tanned but gets burnt in the Sun then you have Caucasian origin (foreign blood). Or if some parts of your body are darker than the rest.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Evidently. I would say the hair are more blondish than blackish, it it helps you digest this fact ? .Although, he gets his beard and hair dyed dark because people think he has lightened his hair :rofl:

Look at Priyanka Chopra, Ajay Devgun, Shiney Ahuja, and Neil Nitin Mukesh all four are Punjabis.

Most babies are born with very light hair and most outgrow it. Some Indian tribal communities have light hair and eyes but dark skin.

==
You can easily find out if you are Caucasian or Indian by doing the sun test. If your skin gets tanned then you have most likely Indian origin, if it doesn't get tanned but gets burnt in the Sun then you have Caucasian origin (foreign blood). Or if some parts of your body are darker than the rest.
punjabian de damaag ch kide pai gaye ne :taunt:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Lol ! A good informative thread has been derailed with a __ propaganda :p

Tolaha

That is because parts of Karnataka were indeed part of the Madras Presidency, or put it in a different way, there were Kannada speaking people in the Madras Presidency. Madras Presidency was a creation of the British, so this is hardly a fault of North Indians.
Folks in Chennai itself don't call themselves Madrasis and in your opinion its not faulty to call Kannada speaking folks as Madrasis simply because a few districts used to be part of Madras Presidency!? Going by that logic, it should be 'ok' to call the English as Parisians or going by the earlier name of Paris, as Lutetians?.As for whether this reasoning of yours is offensive or not, can it be termed as 'offensively ignorant', if it sounds any better?

pmaitra

Folks in Chennai itself don't call themselves Madrasis and in your opinion its not faulty to call Kannada speaking folks as Madrasis simply because a few districts used to be part of Madras Presidency!? Going by that logic, it should be 'ok' to call the English as Parisians or going by the earlier name of Paris, as Lutetians?.As for whether this reasoning of yours is offensive or not, can it be termed as 'offensively ignorant', if it sounds any better?
It is often a case of taking offense where none was intended. So in your opinion what is more appropriate for a person from Karnataka?

Why should folks in Chennai call themselves Madrasis? Do they have the exclusive right over the term? The oldest battalion of the Madras regiment comprised of Nayars.

nrupatunga

@pmaitra: If madras presidency had people speaking kannada, telgu etc, so every kannada speaking personhad to be from madras presidency and hence a madrasi. Superb really superb. Large parts of south india was not part of madras presidency at all. And wrt to karnataka maybe not even 10% was in madras presidency.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually to this day, south indians are termed as madrasi. This shows the level of ignorance people have. :mad::tsk::frusty::frusty:

pmaitra

@pmaitra: If madras presidency had people speaking kannada, telgu etc, so every kannada speaking personhad to be from madras presidency and hence a madrasi. Superb really superb. Large parts of south india was not part of madras presidency at all. And wrt to karnataka maybe not even 10% was in madras presidency.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually to this day, south indians are termed as madrasi. This shows the level of ignorance people have. :mad::tsk::frusty::frusty:
Ignorance, yes, but it is also wrong to accuse someone of causing offense, when no offense was intended.

This is the assumption - "Hey, look, he called me a Madrasi, he must hate me because I am South Indian." Frankly mate, I find this to be total bull, and annoying as well.

Also, many older generation people use the term because they grew up during the times of Madras Presidency. There are many people who even today say, "I am from Hyderabad." Does Hyderabad state exist anymore? Just to clarify, in most cases, none of these people from the the city of Hyderabad.

Sure, just because an older term is used, does not make it offensive. It is a very subjective matter.

Tronic

@Singh @Tronic take a look at this thread http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...average-heights-indians-different-states.html
Like I said avg height is almost same. J&k has 2nd highest avg in men and tallest women in India.
And look at the "cm increase per decade" column in your own link. Punjabi average height has actually decreased by 0.04cm (probably due to migrations, ~10% of Punjab's population is estimated to be of migrant Biharis now), while J&K's average height has increased in the last decade by 1.09cm.. This only goes to show that the height difference between Punjabis and Paharis was even greater in the past, so some of the notions of Paharis being generally shorter than Punjabis are not unfounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles