Why are indigenous weapons discouraged in India ?

TrueSpirit

No No Sir.

I am an Army Brat.

Dad was in Engineering Regiment and retired in the '80s. As he doesn't share any details with me, all my knowledge is mostly from the internet.

Above mentioned is my opinion only, not insider perspective. I may be wrong also, on some counts.
Ok, got it. Sorry, I misconstrued.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Few correction on some of the points >>

1. 120mm motar made by OFB fall into Heavy 120mm motar category which feature heavy barrel for longer range, Its lighter than most heavy motars, globally..

3. Past issue, New 1B1 improved are at 3.5kg loaded and 64gr 5.56mm is effective and better than what used 55gr / 62gr 5.56mm..

===============

Agree with the rest..

Imported versions should be discouraged.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
There is a serious double standard in dealings of the Army and the Air force with international and local developers. They are more or less willing to accept foreign equipment with certain defects, in some cases, very prominent defects.

We see that with the Jaguar, which was considerably underpowered, and just about barely managed to scrap through the evaluation. Whatsmore, it doesn't even have a radar worth the name. The Su-30k were inducted without any of the modifications recommended for the MKI, even though at that time, it was hardly anything more than a A2A platform.

Then we see the treatment meted out to LCA. Now the IAF wants the absolute, finished, perfect end product, without taking part in the glich correction process. The AC must meet the FOC to even be considered for induction. Why this hypocrisy?

Then lets go to the IA MBTs. The army was very happy with its T series tanks with their myriad of problems. It was perfectly satisfied with the relatively low levels of protection and high maintainance requirements.

Enter the Arjun and the first thing the Army asked was a western standard tank with superior crew protection. Next, it also asked for a 4 man crew to reduce workload, and then dropped the bombshell. They wanted the performance and crew protection of the Leopard2 at the size and weight of the Soviet tanks. Even the US DRAPA would have struggled at the time to meet such extreme, absurd requirement.

It almost appears the IA and IAF are doubtful of what they actually want. It is almost as if they dont know how to put out a GSQR for development of a indegenious weapon. There is almost no future planning, as to what the enemy might commit in a decade. And when the realisation hits that the weapon in development will be upoutmatched, a mad scramble is made to change the GSQR, and the cycle

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
i have this question in my mind

private firms from india can't manufacture weapons but weapons can be bought from private firms in foreign countries.
is this really correct??

SilentKiller

Country flag
Navy inductions and its support to indigenous weapons and programs is very good.
because of this only we have made a lot of progress and most of the ships, boats etc are being manufactured in india.
but same cannot be said for other branches.

Politicians remains same for navy or airforce or army.
so, why is that we are seeing much rapid progress in navy modernization than other branches?
Navy receives lowest budget of all.
Navy has lesser strength than other branches.

Difference is not possible for me to understand. i can only guess
cannot recall enough indigenous program which has been supported by army or airforce.
Bhramos - first in navy then only in army, airforce still to get them but its a success story.
Shivalik class frigates - lots of delays but still navy kept on with the program and didn't lost faith and as going ahead with 17A orders too
Kolkatta class destroyers - delays but navy is still with it didn't orders new from foreign shipyards.

Army - Arjun, used, tested- passed - but not ready to place order even though we didn't got full ToT from russia, and tank failed in main battle field i.e. high heat but they said they will go ahead with orders as this issue will be resolved later and resolution is to put new AC..but when arjun failed initially, its large tank not good etc no order. pathetic!!
INSAS - gun jams, magazine cracks, less range, rounds not have good stoppage powers, DRDO - upgraded the gun, new gun is lighter, cheaper and everything as required. Army - we will still float tender to foreign competitors.
Nag missiles - passes test hits targets - army - need to upgrade vehicle, rejects it as NIMACA is not good. still awaiting induction
Airforce - buys missiles from russia, great mobile air defence. inducts it test it later to find missiles doesn't work

Last edited:

devil510

It has got to do with political pressure and also the money(bribes) getting from foreign firms however i think 2020 it does not matter they will be forced to accept indigenous weapons and systems especially airforce with Pak-fa and LCA with more research and by that time they will have completed some of the projects.

Because Big bosses even in Navy, Army, Airforce are coerced to take money with Politicians we all know Especially until Gandhi family is there. That slut/whore will sell india piece by piece. but once some of the big projects are done and basically the ground work is completed. They will have no choice but to accept Home made Weapons, systems, Engines, Subs, destroyers and other things.

Navy accepts more readily because it is better to have something than not having anything have we ever heard Navy's Mention until U.S. and the problems started in South China Sea. That's why Navy is readily accepting whatever they are getting whereas Airforce and Army always had the attention so they can get more bribes and also get more more attention of defense minister. Because of war between Pakistan and China whereas Navy has not really gotten anything big

The biggest problem is India started ground work very late when nearly all countries had tested made mistakes understood their mistakes upgraded.

Think like this Other people had made bridges/upgraded them and we were looking what material to choose to make bridges

Last edited:

Dinesh_Kumar

Another aspect may be scientific and technical capability of the country as a whole.

I , for one, am happy to see much opposition today in internet forums for any new weapon systems imported, unless it is overwhelmingly obvious that it cannot be built in India for some time to come.

C-130 J and C-17 are examples, where reliable platform procured, and no obvious local answer for the same. This kind of deal had wide approval, and AF reported that used on long range missions as soon as induction happened. It was a smooth transition.

Technical capability is better than the 80s, where everything was imported like Snow Shoes, Mountaineering eqpt., Ammo, etc.

Many items local now.

Dinesh_Kumar

List of Items which can be taken up for localisation:

Army:
>Snow Scooters

>Mountaineering Equipment

>Artic Snow wear

> Sniper Rifle / DMR

> Sub-Machine Gun with Silencer

>Boots - Snow/Desert/Anti Mine

> Squad UAV

>Radio and GPS

>NVG 3rd gen

>155mm Shells -all types

> Combat Vehicle Wheeled

> Light helicopter - 7 seat /20,000 ft/ single engine

Navy

>LM 2500 class turbine (25 MW class)

> Coastal Sub

> Diving Suit and SCUBA apparatus

>DSRV

>UAV

>Naval Helicopter

Airforce

> Transport Plane

SilentKiller

Country flag
It has got to do with political pressure and also the money(bribes) getting from foreign firms however i think 2020 it does not matter they will be forced to accept indigenous weapons and systems especially airforce with Pak-fa and LCA with more research and by that time they will have completed some of the projects.

Because Big bosses even in Navy, Army, Airforce are coerced to take money with Politicians we all know Especially until Gandhi family is there. That slut/whore will sell india piece by piece. but once some of the big projects are done and basically the ground work is completed. They will have no choice but to accept Home made Weapons, systems, Engines, Subs, destroyers and other things.

Navy accepts more readily because it is better to have something than not having anything have we ever heard Navy's Mention until U.S. and the problems started in South China Sea. That's why Navy is readily accepting whatever they are getting whereas Airforce and Army always had the attention so they can get more bribes and also get more more attention of defense minister. Because of war between Pakistan and China whereas Navy has not really gotten anything big

The biggest problem is India started ground work very late when nearly all countries had tested made mistakes understood their mistakes upgraded.

Think like this Other people had made bridges/upgraded them and we were looking what material to choose to make bridges

One person cannot be responsible for everything...
One day when we stop blaming others for our own mistakes we will surely improve.
If u voted and pay your taxes u have right to question, else just shut up.
Solution for problem starts from us not by blaming politicians for everything, an IAS officers takes bribe blame politician, we pay 100 note to police to avoid challan, still be blame politicians.
we never questioned low mobile rates for 10 yrs and suddenly came to know of the scam and accuse govt. why didn't we questioned it earlier?
We vote on religion, still we accuse govt
we vote on caste, still we accuse govt
We Don't even vote still we accuse govt
we don't pay taxes, don't asks for bills, still we accuse govt.
only 3% population of india pays tax, still we accuse govt, or u means to say that 97% population earns < 3 lacs a year (considering 1lac is saved)
we loot dead bodies, still we accuse govt
armed forces men takes bribe, still we accuse govt.

Please get mature and lighten up your brains.
WE HAVE THE POWER which is called VOTE
Pls vote and vote sensibly based on candidate whether he is from AAP or Congress or BJP or anyone else.
stop bribing, i myself is not an angel, but i got my driving licence and passport with giving ANY bribe, did took 4 months to get my passport, but that's a start.

giving bribe is bigger offence then asking for it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles